Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
95 registered members (AnnInMiami, anotherscott, Bett, Angelos58, CharlesXX, 27 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE #2739442
05/25/18 02:23 PM
05/25/18 02:23 PM
H
hag01 Offline OP
hag01  Offline OP
H

Finally I'm going to order a Kawai MP11SE in the near weeks, maybe even next week, depends on the offer I'll get from the store I'm buying from.

I got the decision for MP11SE after great hesitation between MP11SE and Kawai CA78.

I really need the features(pitch bend\mod wheels, MIDI THRU, and more) and the portability(yes I consider it relatively portable) of the MP11SE, I don't really need the features of the CA78, and also the MP11SE going to fit perfectly to my home studio\bedroom, while the CA78 really going to be a burden for me in terms of space capacity.
The MP11SE is also significantly less expensive.

But all that is not nearly as important as realistic action.

What I want the most, is realistic action-
Action which is as heavy feeling at least as the average grand, action which is capable for pianissimo passages(too many digitals not capable for pianissimo passages), action that let me control dynamics in a reaosnably accurate manner, etc...

Considering the above, someone who think I'm doing a mistake by ordering an MP11SE instead of a CA78, shall speak now.

I'll appreciate any comment, thanks in advance.

Last edited by hag01; 05/25/18 02:25 PM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739461
05/25/18 03:31 PM
05/25/18 03:31 PM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA

i haven’t seen anyone that has the mp11se in stock.

my local dealer is still waiting on his namm order to arrive.
and all the big online sellers keep showing ‘coming soon’ . . .
guitar center showed availability may 18th in april, then changed it to june 22.

good luck with your purchase!

Jeff // Yamaha P515 // Roll Tide
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: jeffscot] #2739464
05/25/18 03:35 PM
05/25/18 03:35 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Jefsco

i haven’t seen anyone that has the mp11se in stock.

They've been available for months. A number of forum members already have them, and my local piano shop has carried them since Jan. But not a lot of shops carry the Kawai pro line, so you probably have to order online...

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739471
05/25/18 03:49 PM
05/25/18 03:49 PM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA

i didn’t mean initial availabilty, gombessa.
just in the over a month i have been checking the online sellers have been showing no stock.

i haven’t pushed the matter since i knew my local dealer had some coming, and i want to try it out prior to making a purchase decision.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739487
05/25/18 05:07 PM
05/25/18 05:07 PM
H
hag01 Offline OP
hag01  Offline OP
H

I'll just add a clarification:

The source of my dilemma is that in most of the reviews I saw, people said that the MP11 is fully capable for classical piano playing style, and that the difference between the MP11 and the Grand Feel 2 console digital pianos, is negligible in terms of action realism.

Adding to that all the other advantges of the MP11\SE, and the price difference - the MP11SE is the clear winner.

However, I saw few users saying that the MP11 is a bit too light feeling(in an unrealistic manner), and therefore not very capable for pianissimo passages.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739503
05/25/18 06:01 PM
05/25/18 06:01 PM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA

so hag have you not had a chance to play the mp11se/mp11/grand feel action?

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: jeffscot] #2739512
05/25/18 06:30 PM
05/25/18 06:30 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

i didn’t mean initial availabilty, gombessa.
just in the over a month i have been checking the online sellers have been showing no stock.

i haven’t pushed the matter since i knew my local dealer had some coming, and i want to try it out prior to making a purchase decision.

Ah, got it. I have no insight into the distribution channel of course, so I have no idea if it's currently supply-constrained smile It might just be a local thing though. If you're shopping online, it might be worth checking with one of the e-tailers that is known to stock it (e.g., Tim Praskins).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: Gombessa] #2739528
05/25/18 07:59 PM
05/25/18 07:59 PM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Ah, got it. I have no insight into the distribution channel of course, so I have no idea if it's currently supply-constrained smile It might just be a local thing though. If you're shopping online, it might be worth checking with one of the e-tailers that is known to stock it (e.g., Tim Praskins).

i don’t see how sweetwater, kraft music, guitar center online, and b&h photo all showing no stock could be a “local thing”.

you might try providing the OP with some of your knowledge.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739550
05/25/18 10:32 PM
05/25/18 10:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A

Sydney, Australia
Hi hag01, I was in a similar situation as you. Initially I was set on getting the MP11SE, then I found the CA series. Lucky for me, in my part of the world there are many dealers here who carry both models - floor stock and on 1-2 day order. I guess they have warehouses nearby.

I ended up with the CA78 for three reason:

1. Got a bloody good deal. One dealer offered it at the same price as an MP11SE.

2. GF2 action compared to GF1. I tried both at the shop, they are very similar. But for me, the GF2 is a tad smoother for the lack of a better word (or it might be my brain playing tricks on me).

3. Speakers. I like the convenience instead of having to switch on Pianoteq every time. With Pianoteq, I can play it with monitors and the CA78 speakers at the same time which enhances the experience (can't figure the line outs tho).

The cabinet adds character to our living room. It doesn't take up much room, probably the same space as my ES110 on a stand/bench.

But if you're after more features and portability then MP11SE is probably your best friend.

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: jeffscot] #2739551
05/25/18 10:43 PM
05/25/18 10:43 PM
ottokeys Offline
ottokeys  Offline

Originally Posted by Gombessa

i don’t see how sweetwater, kraft music, guitar center online, and b&h photo all showing no stock could be a “local thing”.

According to LA's AVLGear (selling on amazon) if ordered now this model will be delivered to customers arriving "June 13 - 21" if you choose expedited $hipping. On their own site they say "Ships in 6-10 days" which seems to be saying the same thing.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739592
05/26/18 06:33 AM
05/26/18 06:33 AM
Maryland, USA
D
Davdoc Offline
Davdoc  Offline
D

Maryland, USA
I only have MP11, so that's my limit. I also did not have sophisticated VST setup, only using the built-in sound with headphones (I didn't take the dive of getting other VSTs as planned in my older forum thread). I use this MP11 for night time practice. So take this opinion with lots of salt.

I bought the MP11, instead of any other digital piano with a cabinet, for space concern. I am 100% happy with it. Since I bought it I moved it once to a different location (my office) which is a much smaller space. A slab just works better.

For the purpose of quiet practice, it does its job fine.

From the perspective of combination of touch and sound (I don't think these two are completely separable when it comes to practicing), the MP11 is no comparison to either of my current acoustic pianos. Despite having 3-sensor design, and certainly recording the velocity (based on the MIDI output), playing pianissimo or rapid repetition is perceptibly lagging. Using Pianoteq improved somewhat, but dynamic range is still behind.

Nor do I expect it to perform to that level anyway.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739632
05/26/18 12:03 PM
05/26/18 12:03 PM
Mountain Time, USA
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
OneWatt  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Mountain Time, USA
@hag01 -

Leaving aside questions of inventory availability, I will address your primary concern about keyboard touch.

I will begin by saying that the odds are low that even the very best digital piano action will feel precisely like the acoustic piano to which you are accustomed largely because there is considerable variation between acoustic piano actions.

We've owned several fine acoustic pianos over the decades and none of them were the same in terms of touch/feel ... either before or after being regulated to our satisfaction.

Having said this, I am a very happy owner of an MP11SE (and prior to this, an equally happy owner of an MP7). I move between the Kawai DP and a high end acoustic concert grand in our home on a daily basis. Both are clearly different, but that's okay as far as I'm concerned.

For me, I find setting the MP11SE action to "Heavy" (there's also a Heavy+" although one can customize things further) makes for the best experience (for me) when moving between the digital and the acoustic realms.

I like the "work out" of the heavier action on the DP, as it then makes the acoustic keys feel a bit lighter and easier to control the dynamics. Kind of like running with hand weights makes running without them that much easier by comparison.

But still, there is always a difference. If you're trying to get a DP to feel "the same" as an acoustic, just give it up. Again, part of the challenge is the great range of variability between acoustic piano keyboards alone - no less whether the DP itself is well-designed enough to simulate a true grand action.

Then again, because Kawai makes fine acoustic grands ... and has invested heavily in trying to mimic that feel in their DPs ... I believe they are further along than most other DP manufacturers in this regard.

Much of the flexibility I enjoy about the MP11SE (unlike our current concert grand) is that I can actually adjust the action on the Kawai DP with the push of a button. Whereas making adjustments on the acoustic (within physical constraints) takes considerable technical skill and time-consuming regulation effort - well beyond the scope of most owners' comfort and skill levels.

And so, one way of thinking about the comparison between the two is that (a) one is very limited in how much you can change the action of a real acoustic piano (although I've accomplished much of the change that I prefer), but (b) the Kawai MP11SE is adjustable to a far great extent with minimal effort - and no piano technician tools ;-)

In short, I find the GF action on the Kawai MP11SE to be excellent for my purposes, and it compares very nicely to a concert grand while being highly adjustable to one's taste.

Ideally, of course, you should find those Kawai models with comparable actions under consideration to see how each feels under your fingers - testing the different touch level adjustments - to meet your own preferences. Lacking that, you'll need to weigh the input of biased strangers (like me) on forums like this.

Happy hunting! - OneWatt

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739772
05/27/18 02:40 AM
05/27/18 02:40 AM
New York
T
trigalg693 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
trigalg693  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

New York
Between the CA78 and MP11SE, yea I'd go MP11SE. My friend has a CA78 which I've spent some time on. The keytops aren't improved over the MP11 IIRC, as they're really cheap slippery plastic with fake wood grain in the sharps. When I plug in headphones it's hard to tell the difference between the GF1 and GF2. The speakers on the 78 are not good, unlike the 98 (which is crazy expensive).

For the money, it doesn't feel close enough to a real piano for me. IMO they need to make the "hammer" (weight) much lighter, have the fake letoff have more of a dome switch feel so it has a little more pop coming up, and move the key's counterweight to the opposite end to bring the touch weight back up. A real piano's hammer can be felt coming off the jack/repetition lever, whereas the Kawai keyboard feels mostly like a static weight on the other end of the fulcrum, since the weight is so heavy and "geared short".

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/27/18 02:41 AM.
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: trigalg693] #2739785
05/27/18 04:38 AM
05/27/18 04:38 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
arc7urus  Offline
A

Europe
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Between the CA78 and MP11SE, yea I'd go MP11SE. My friend has a CA78 which I've spent some time on. The keytops aren't improved over the MP11 IIRC, as they're really cheap slippery plastic with fake wood grain in the sharps. When I plug in headphones it's hard to tell the difference between the GF1 and GF2. The speakers on the 78 are not good, unlike the 98 (which is crazy expensive).

Hi! Do you consider the GF1/2 surface to be more slippery than the one you find in other DPs or acoustic pianos? Can you provide specific examples?

The black keys on the GF1/2 are entirely made of wood. Only the surface of the keys is synthetic, but most modern acoustic grands use composite/synthetic materials on the key surfaces anyway. As far as I know, Kawai's GF actions are the only non-hybrid action on the market that uses wood for all the keys.

Originally Posted by trigalg693
For the money, it doesn't feel close enough to a real piano for me. IMO they need to make the "hammer" (weight) much lighter, have the fake letoff have more of a dome switch feel so it has a little more pop coming up, and move the key's counterweight to the opposite end to bring the touch weight back up. A real piano's hammer can be felt coming off the jack/repetition lever, whereas the Kawai keyboard feels mostly like a static weight on the other end of the fulcrum, since the weight is so heavy and "geared short".

For sure, the GF action does not feel like an acoustic grand piano action because the mechanics are very different. The static weight of the GF2 is ca. 55 grams on the middle octaves, which would not be considered an "heavy" regulation on an acoustic grand. What DP/action would you suggest that actually does a better job simulating an acoustic action and would be a better "value for money"?

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739789
05/27/18 05:13 AM
05/27/18 05:13 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
A good rule of thumb which I do not always follow, don't buy a piano you haven't played.

I played the MP11 last year when I was in the UK. It probably has the best keyboard action of any stage piano.

I would be reluctant to buy one if I were to move it on a regular basis. I had a flight case made for me years ago when I bought the Yamaha P250. I don't think the MP11 would fit inside that case; the MP11 is a very thick piano.

If you're buying this for your home I don't think you'll get a better action from a stage piano. If you wanted a better action you'd have to spend more money and buy a hybrid.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: arc7urus] #2739804
05/27/18 07:28 AM
05/27/18 07:28 AM
H
hag01 Offline OP
hag01  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by arc7urus
The static weight of the GF2 is ca. 55 grams on the middle octaves, which would not be considered an "heavy" regulation on an acoustic grand.

Hey arc7urus, good and valuable information you brought here.
Can you tell me what is the avarage static weight on the middle octaves on the average grand(you refer to the static downweight, correct?)?

That's maybe my only concern about the Grand Feel 1 action - that it is maybe too light compared to the avarage acoustic action.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739832
05/27/18 10:15 AM
05/27/18 10:15 AM
Mountain Time, USA
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
OneWatt  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Mountain Time, USA
Originally Posted by hag01
The static weight of the GF2 is ca. 55 grams on the middle octaves, which would not be considered an "heavy" regulation on an acoustic grand.

Can you tell me what is the avarage static weight on the middle octaves on the average grand(you refer to the static downweight, correct?)?

That's maybe my only concern about the Grand Feel 1 action - that it is maybe too light compared to the avarage acoustic action.

Typical static weight on an acoustic grand is 50-55g in middle octaves. But be aware that inertia from total mass of the key stick has a lot to do with perceived touch - and this is not captured by measuring only static weight.

E.g., see: https://www.cooperpiano.com/the-effects-of-lead-counter-weights-on-inertia-in-grand-piano-keys/

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739841
05/27/18 10:46 AM
05/27/18 10:46 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
arc7urus  Offline
A

Europe
Originally Posted by hag01

The numbers I often see repeated are 48-55 grams for the down-weight on an acoustic grand piano. The GF1/2 is on that range. More than seems to be considered an “heavy” action. A piano technician could comment and confirm these numbers. Technicians also measure the up weight and try to reach specific up/down ratios when regulating an action. However, the static weight is only part of the perceived “feel” of an action. You can read more about that on the articles below.

Maybe experienced/professional players that regularly play acoustic grands and have also played the GF action can comment on this. There are several of those on the forum like Dave Horne who replied above.

Have a look here for a start:
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/june2014.pdf
http://www.pianofinders.com/educational/touchweight.htm
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1273944/Key%20weight%20on%20a%20Grand.html

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: arc7urus] #2739860
05/27/18 01:02 PM
05/27/18 01:02 PM
New York
T
trigalg693 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
trigalg693  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

New York

Hi! Do you consider the GF1/2 surface to be more slippery than the one you find in other DPs or acoustic pianos? Can you provide specific examples?

The black keys on the GF1/2 are entirely made of wood. Only the surface of the keys is synthetic, but most modern acoustic grands use composite/synthetic materials on the key surfaces anyway. As far as I know, Kawai's GF actions are the only non-hybrid action on the market that uses wood for all the keys.

What the keystick is made of doesn't really matter, it's the keytop that you feel. I think the GF1/2 blacks are actually really really bad. Obviously, keytops made of ebony or a similarly hard wood are the best, but only fairly high end acoustic pianos come with them. More common is a plastic keytop with a similar texture to a quality plastic white keytop, with a "frosted" finish, or even a glossy keytop. Kawai seems to get the worst of all worlds by having very slippery plastic with fake wood grain that's etched pretty deep, which really reduces the grip your fingers have on the key.

The keyboard itself feels good, as the keys have a nice solid but not clunky stop at the bottom.

For sure, the GF action does not feel like an acoustic grand piano action because the mechanics are very different. The static weight of the GF2 is ca. 55 grams on the middle octaves, which would not be considered an "heavy" regulation on an acoustic grand. What DP/action would you suggest that actually does a better job simulating an acoustic action and would be a better "value for money"?

Static weight is not everything. Some pianos have really high static weight, but they are "geared" very high so the resistance drops very early on in the key stroke as the hammer gains upward momentum very quickly. The problem with most digital pianos is that they pretty much all feel like there's just a static weight at the other end. I think Kawai had the opportunity to do a little better given they aren't using folded actions. I think the Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid actions feel more realistic while the key is moving, but they have a very squishy key stop which is not great. If I were forced to make a choice right now, it would be a bit of a difficult decision but I probably would buy a Casio GP300 (they can be had for ~2700 or so), if I didn't want to pay more than double for a Yamaha N1.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739874
05/27/18 01:44 PM
05/27/18 01:44 PM
Mountain Time, USA
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
OneWatt  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Mountain Time, USA
Don't want to be a kill-joy here, but I'm afraid we may be failing into the trap of comparing preferences for fruits, each of which has its season.

Go into a showroom of high-end performance pianos and you will find a significant difference in touch and feel from one model/brand to the next ... each of which is a highly prized instrument in its own right. (And this doesn't begin to address the different actions between grands and uprights.)

Each of us will likely have preferences for a certain touch and feel... however, even these change over time as our skill evolves, along with the style of music we are playing, and our daily mood.

At some point, to say that this particular action is better than another is not really actionable advice.

Personally, I enjoy taking measurements of upweight, downweight, friction, etc. and making adjustments to our grand piano by adjusting the punchings, regulating the letoff, drop, repetition springs, etc. But none of this makes me any better at telling someone else what kind of keyboard feel they'd prefer.

Go taste fruit. Sadly, if there's no fruit stand nearby, please realize you're really just asking what the rest of us prefer. We're happy to tell you, but you'd be wise to not let our tastes influence yours.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: OneWatt] #2739968
05/27/18 09:41 PM
05/27/18 09:41 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by OneWatt
Don't want to be a kill-joy here, but I'm afraid we may be failing into the trap of comparing preferences for fruits, each of which has its season.

Go taste fruit. Sadly, if there's no fruit stand nearby, please realize you're really just asking what the rest of us prefer. We're happy to tell you, but you'd be wise to not let our tastes influence yours.

Nicely put! wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: Kawai James] #2739974
05/27/18 11:16 PM
05/27/18 11:16 PM
Mountain Time, USA
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
OneWatt  Offline
Bronze Subscriber

Mountain Time, USA
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Nicely put! wink

James
x

Thanks James, most especially coming from one of the finest fruit stands. smile

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2739994
05/28/18 01:25 AM
05/28/18 01:25 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Flight of the Conchords reference coming in 3...2...1... wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: OneWatt] #2740059
05/28/18 09:13 AM
05/28/18 09:13 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
arc7urus  Offline
A

Europe

I agree with you. What matters is how a piano, either digital or acoustic, feels to the player. Nevertheless, advice on DPs/actions is one the recurring topics on this forum... I guess all these numbers and measurements provide some level of reassurance when investing on a DP, even if those numbers play a secondary role on how an actual DP actually feels...

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2740064
05/28/18 09:24 AM
05/28/18 09:24 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I'm of the opposite opinion.

Subjective opinions are suspect. And quantitative measurements do not align with hands-on experience.

The designer may be able to correlate test measurements with human-judged performance. But we're not piano engineers!

The only way for us to judge a piano is to try it. Fingers and ears are our only meaningful test equipment.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: MacMacMac] #2740085
05/28/18 10:38 AM
05/28/18 10:38 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
arc7urus  Offline
A

Europe
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'm of the opposite opinion.

Subjective opinions are suspect. And quantitative measurements do not align with hands-on experience.

The designer may be able to correlate test measurements with human-judged performance. But we're not piano engineers!

The only way for us to judge a piano is to try it. Fingers and ears are our only meaningful test equipment.

Probably I worded my comment wrong, but this is exactly what I tried to say. But the fact is that many of us are trying to get a false reassurance based on measurements and numbers.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2740143
05/28/18 02:38 PM
05/28/18 02:38 PM
Maryland, USA
D
Davdoc Offline
Davdoc  Offline
D

Maryland, USA
The following, of course, is full subjective of one (me) person’s opinion. But I do have the convenience of my two acoustic grands being in the same room, and the MP11 being just about 10 feet away, and I do play all 3 of them regularly, albeit usually not within the same day. I would like to comment on the keytop being slippery or not, and the subjective “heavy” feeling.

Background info:

Steinway B: has the original ivory keytop for naturals, and ebony wood for the sharps.
Steinway A: the recent NY production, with synthetics keytop for both naturals and sharps. (The only exception from NY factory is the model D which uses ebony wood keytop)

Both B and A are maintained by highly qualified technicians.

Compared to these two acoustic grands, I do not find MP11’s keytops to be more slippery. I like the keytops of B the most, but I don’t find the other two bad.

Perceived weight/resistance when playing: I don’t find MP11’s to be consistently “heavier” or “lighter”. I do think its tone/sound production makes it a tad harder for me to play. But I can move around these 3 without major problems. I got most of my true practice on MP11.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: Davdoc] #2740630
05/30/18 07:32 AM
05/30/18 07:32 AM
Canada
R
Reg McM Offline
Reg McM  Offline
R

Canada
Thanks for making the comparison, Davdoc. I'm anxiously waiting for my new MP11SE to arrive today and with the wide range of opinions voiced about the action and keyboard surface, I found your perspective reassuring.

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: Reg McM] #2740661
05/30/18 09:27 AM
05/30/18 09:27 AM
Mountain Brook, AL, USA
J
jeffscot Offline
jeffscot  Offline
J

Mountain Brook, AL, USA

wow reg mcm,

returned the 18 lbs. board and purchased a 75 lbs. board!? 😉
you really went for the better action!

Re: Last thoughts before ordering a Kawai MP11SE [Re: hag01] #2740734
05/30/18 01:10 PM
05/30/18 01:10 PM
Canada
R
Reg McM Offline
Reg McM  Offline
R

Canada
I wondered if anyone was going to pick up on that!

Yeah, I decided to stay with my existing band setup (RD-64 plus Kronos 61) and go for a good home practice piano. My Yamaha grand is in my livingroom - not a good place to make practice noise.

I do fantasize that I'll be able to manage dragging it out of the house now and then. In my younger days I gigged with a 90lb Yamaha CP30 and later with a CP70 Electric grand, which I would load into my truck by myself. Times have changed though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dwight piano
by WY2298. 11/12/18 05:23 PM
Ydp-143 and iPhone - what can I do?
by Chilligirl. 11/12/18 04:44 PM
'Un hiver à Majorque"
by dolce sfogato. 11/12/18 04:33 PM
Same notes on different Clef - D4
by XxKeldecknightxX. 11/12/18 04:31 PM
Need advice on 2017 Seiler ED186 vs 2012 Schimmel C189
by Joe Apisarn. 11/12/18 02:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,303
Posts2,760,536
Members91,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission