2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I bookmarked this thread - I'm sure there are some real gems here.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
A
Arcturo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by StuartEstell
If you’re open to more recent repertoire, Morton Feldman’s Intermission 6 is a single page open form score. It’s rather lovely.

oh god no! lol. I wouldn't dare play anything this bad. but thank you for the suggestion. It could be okay in a horror movie or something. but yeh no. definetly not.

Anyways back to my original question what are your fav short one page pieces? not just random one page pieces in general. I haven't seen anything yet that is even close to as good as Arietta and Morning Prayer. Consolation no. 1 by liszt is another good one too! brahms waltz was a good suggestion but its just short of 2 pages. I used to play this one but forgot so have to relearn.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Arcturo
brahms waltz was a good suggestion but its just short of 2 pages.
That depends on the edition. Every edition I've seen is one page long.

I can't figure out why you're interested in one page pieces. They're not necessarily easier to learn/play, shorter time wise, or anything else compared to two page or 5 page, etc. pieces. And there are thousands of good one page pieces to choose from.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/23/18 06:30 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
oh god no! lol. I wouldn't dare play anything this bad. but thank you for the suggestion. It could be okay in a horror movie or something. but yeh no. definetly not.

I've met many people who thought that stuff they didn't like was "bad" or even "not music", but they were without exception not the brightest of minds, not capable of considering that there might be something they don't see or that anything they don't like could have any sort of value, as if they were the ones to determine that; instead they chose to elevate themselves as some sort of final arbiter on what's good and what's not (or at least make people believe that), as if they had any right to it. Or sometimes they made vain attempts to put the blame on the composer because they couldn't grasp the fact that nobody but themselves was responsible for them not liking something. Of course, none of them were musicians, although some claimed to be.

Now, if "bad" was what you actually meant, the above applies to you. If you didn't, try "not to my taste" or something similar next time. Or at least have the decency not to slam down a well-intended recommendation like that and mock that person's preferences in the process.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by mrenaud

I've met many people who thought that stuff they didn't like was "bad" or even "not music", but they were without exception not the brightest of minds, not capable of considering that there might be something they don't see or that anything they don't like could have any sort of value, as if they were the ones to determine that; instead they chose to elevate themselves as some sort of final arbiter on what's good and what's not (or at least make people believe that), as if they had any right to it. Or sometimes they made vain attempts to put the blame on the composer because they couldn't grasp the fact that nobody but themselves was responsible for them not liking something. Of course, none of them were musicians, although some claimed to be.

Now, if "bad" was what you actually meant, the above applies to you. If you didn't, try "not to my taste" or something similar next time. Or at least have the decency not to slam down a well-intended recommendation like that and mock that person's preferences in the process.

Your post really wasn't much better...
In the end it's all just opinions. Good and bad are subjective concepts and not measurable. People have every right to value their own opinion about what's good higher than others' and there's really no relevant difference in saying something is bad or "not to my taste".

Online Content
Originally Posted by outo
... People have every right to value their own opinion about what's good higher than others' and there's really no relevant difference in saying something is bad or "not to my taste".
I think the post you quoted was pretty insulting, basically saying the poster who claimed the piece was "bad" was less than intelligent and not a musician. OTOH I do think there is a difference between "bad" and "not to my taste". The first is expressed as a fact and the second is clearly just an opinion.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I confess, it got me to click the link. It is....well....art I suppose. It's not really to my taste though.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... People have every right to value their own opinion about what's good higher than others' and there's really no relevant difference in saying something is bad or "not to my taste".
I think the post you quoted was pretty insulting, basically saying the poster who claimed the piece was "bad" was less than intelligent and not a musician. OTOH I do think there is a difference between "bad" and "not to my taste". The first is expressed as a fact and the second is clearly just an opinion.

Maybe but don't you think any intelligent person should understand that in this context "bad" is not a fact and there is no need to get offended? And why get offended anyway, it's just music. The only one who might have reason to get offended is Mr. Feldman and I am pretty sure he does not need anyone else to do it for him...

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Maybe but don't you think any intelligent person should understand that in this context "bad" is not a fact and there is no need to get offended?
Without a phrase like IMO or not to my taste it sounds like the poster is being factual although he isn't. When expressing something negative it's much better to include those additional phrases. Otherwise, I think it appears arrogant. When criticizing one should make it very clear it's only an opinion.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/25/18 06:19 AM.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Regarding the reaction to Feldman's piece -- I guess I would have been happier if I had seen some effort to Google Feldman in order to learn what he was trying to do, rather than just dismissing his work altogether. I hadn't heard this piece before, but it did seem to me that he was in a sense challenging the listener's perception of time in the experiencing of processing musical sound. Personally, I'd love to hear what the piece would sound like when the pace was quickened 10-fold or so, while still honoring the quite specific directives of sustain and decay in the notes and chord combinations in varying registers -- I'm willing to bet it'd be more palatable on that basis alone.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I ‘happened upon ‘ this thread following wr from another thread. I stopped to listen and was intrigued. It certainly was unexpected. It made me think of at new Apple app Calm, which asks people to stop doing whatever and stay in the quiet for a minute or so. And it made think of how good a piece it would be For meditation, or a resting pose at the end of yoga sessions. I was just taking time to browse through m fav stops on the internet over am coffee and it was really a lovely thing to just let fill my mind before starting the rush of the day. Can’t imagine how it would work in a concert hall - but it could be amazing!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

S
S
Schumann's Chopin from Carnaval is only one page long, and so very pretty:

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission