2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

In buying this piano, I took on a risk. It was listed on eBay for $2,500 starting bid. The seller said it is playable, but had not been tuned in a decade. No one else seemed interested, so I swooped in during the eleventh hour and bid. No one else bid, so I scored a 7'4" grand piano for $2,500. Not many YouTube videos around for this instrument, but this piano sells at a dealer for about $8,000 or more.

The piano arrived today, after a long-distance move from Connecticut to Colorado that cost almost as much as the piano itself.

This piano was manufactured in the early 1980s. It was retrofitted with a Marantz Pianocorder player system. I don't know if the player system works at all; I'm trying to get in touch with some player piano guys in the area who are familiar with this system. I didn't buy the piano for the player, but if I can get it to work, that would be a bonus. There is now an upgrade to replace the antiquated cassette player with a device that accepts MIDI files from a computer.

[Linked Image]

Strings look good for a 30+ year old piano. No rust. Don't see anything wrong with the bridges. (Though I wonder what the circular cut-outs are at the bottom of the bass bridge?)

[Linked Image]

Soundboard is dirty - will need to be cleaned when the action gets pulled.

[Linked Image]

It does look like someone might have spilled their drink in the piano a long time ago. I don't think it did severe, lasting damage (no obvious problems playing notes near the spill site), but I will ask the tech when he pulls the action out to look for damage from an old liquid spill.

[Linked Image]

What are my initial impressions?

Like any piano that has been sitting around a while, some tech work is needed. Obviously tuning, possibly with a pitch raise (though overall it hadn't lost a lot of pitch). Some work on the action will be needed (a few adjacent keys rubbing against each other). As usual with a used piano, some notes need adjustment for the sostenuto pedal to catch them.

The piano has a nice big sound with plenty of bass. It will sound really good when tuned and the action gets dialed in.

Now a long 4-week wait for the piano to acclimatize, and then it will get its first tech visit in a while.

Colin Dunn

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations; you could be ending up with quite a steal! Will be interested to hear reports as the work on it is done.

Well done!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Want to hear it when it is ready.

S
S
nice find! any updates?

M
M
To get a better understanding of the player system, you want to call Dan Holstien in Denver at 720-218-8599

L
L
Good luck. I think you'll enjoy the Samick. The pianos are reasonably priced. I have a smaller grand purchased in 2007 and have
enjoyed it very much. I agree about the base. It's certainly "there". I have to say that I've enjoyed this piano very much and wish you
the same experience. Lynn

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission