Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
92 registered members (Agent88, Bobby Badd, AZNpiano, ajames, bennevis, Amedeus, CadenzaVvi, Chernobieff Piano, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2150726
09/15/13 07:21 PM
09/15/13 07:21 PM
Sheffield UK
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member
wayne33yrs  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sheffield UK
AimeeO, you n the cicadas make a good team wink , that was brill smile You should try having my pedal laugh x

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2150753
09/15/13 08:02 PM
09/15/13 08:02 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

F
Scottsdale, AZ
AimeeO - This is my the favorite Grieg piece. When the recital pieces were announced I wanted to take it but you beat me. Nice job beautifully done. I know you will treasure this forever.

Casinitaly - as always you are a very musical person. I like the way you put together the piece. You have done a fine job. Bravo!

Saranoya - loved both pieces. You sounded like getting deeper into the waltz. It's an mezmorizing one. The second one was done well. But I had more emotional connection with the waltz.

Ladychen - wonderful. You are an excellent player.

AndyPlatt - nice job. I'm sure you impressed your teacher. Wonderful video too. I still don't know how to do it.

Piano*Dad - that's a very good performance. There is no wonder why your son is such a fine pianist. Gotta come from you. Hope someday such piano gene is available in the market (just kidding). Hats off to you pulling the fine performance. I know you are a busy professional.

AZ Astro - good job. You are talented if you can pull this off with only two years of piano. I haven't set up my schedule yet but please come to my piano party next March.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2150756
09/15/13 08:04 PM
09/15/13 08:04 PM
V
Valencia Offline
500 Post Club Member
Valencia  Offline
500 Post Club Member
V
This recital made my Sunday! Thank you to AimeeO, Saranoya, casinitaly, LadyChen, AndyPlatt, Piano*Dad, AZ Astro, for the lovely pieces and Ganddalf for the introduction to Grieg! I’m so looking forward to the rest of this week!

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2150881
09/15/13 10:25 PM
09/15/13 10:25 PM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad  Offline
Williamsburg, VA
Grieg Opus 12

No 1 Arietta / AimeeO

Cicadas? What cicadas? Maybe my tinnitus blocked them out. smile

You picked a lovely tempo for Arietta … well within the reasonable range. The melody sang, and you projected the full structure of the piece quite well. It's full of those mini crescendo-decrescendo phrases and they did not sound rushed. Yes, watch the last two LH sixteenth notes in each measure so that they don't compete too much with the RH. But you know that; you mentioned it in your write up. A thoroughly enjoyable "work in progress" and a beautiful opening of our recital!

No 2 Waltz / Saranoya

I paid particular attention to the score as you played. You nailed the tenuto first beats and the staccato eighths that link the theme together. Waltzes are such fun pieces to play. They pulse with life. And you clearly feel that.

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the effect of that danged camera! smile

But you put it soooo close to you! It seems to be sitting right beside you, within arms reach. I can easily imagine its baleful red eye, staring intently. grin

No 3 Watchman’s Song / casinitaly

Ghost of Banquo indeed! Two things jumped out at me. First, you have worked really hard to capture the phrasing as Grieg intended. I noticed how precisely you accomplished this! Secondly, you have worked equally hard to master the dynamic shading that Grieg wrote into the score. Well done.

One question about the 32nd notes. You put a slight pause between the 32nd note riff and the subsequent bell tone in the bass. Are you playing all of the 32nd notes with the RH and the bass note with the left? Or are you splitting up the 32nd notes between the hands?

I think you may have inspired me to learn this one.

No 4 Elves’ Dance / LadyChen

Ah, another J.R.R. Tolkien fan! Haldir would be proud of you! smile

That's a wicked piece in general, more so at that speed! Yes, I know many pros take it up a notch, but your choice of tempo was just fine, and it allowed us to savor the theme. I also thought your dynamic control was just fine too. Most of the pianissimos were plenty pianissimo enough.

You often put a little accent on the third beat of the main chord theme. It's not marked that way. That's perfectly OK with me, and I like the forward momentum it provides. But I was wondering if that was a deliberate choice.

No 5 Popular Melody / Andy Platt

That piece has such a simple structure … and then G goes and messes with the rhythm to drive you batty. You know, that "popular melody" feels much like a Norwegian mazurka.

Nice sensitive playing, and the pedaling was fine, even if you didn't "follow the indications 100%."

No 6 Norwegian Melody / Piano Dad

This guy needs to grow some more hair …. really. Sheesh.

No 7 Album Leaf / Saranoya

We'll keep the "little flubs" a secret. They're small. This is a difficult little piece because of the almost continuous left hand reaches while you have to keep the tempo rock steady. Also, you did a really nice job with the left hand two-note phrases. They have to be a spine for the piece without overwhelming the theme in the right hand. Very effectively done.

No 8 National Song / AZ Astro

The short one-page score was quick to learn but long to absorb into muscle memory.

Tell me about it! An almost totally chordal piece will do that to you. It's almost hymn-like. Well, it IS a hymn. Shock -- surprise. And you capture that hymn-like feeling.

One suggestion: I think you should feel freer to lean in to more of those accents and forzandos. Many patriotic pieces have majestic (and rather powerful) chord structures. This one is no exception. Think of the main theme of one from a neighboring Scandinavian country … Finlandia.

Only two years of playing!

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151016
09/16/13 02:03 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Thank you so much to everyone who has given me such wonderful feedback - I really appreciated the comments and the fact that so many of you are aware of the progress I've been making over the past year. It multiplies my enjoyment of my piano time when I can share the results with my PW friends.

Taking part in this particular recital has been even more rewarding than the ABF general recitals because the element of being a small part of a complete work has been (and still is) absolutely splendid.

Piano*Dad, you asked
One question about the 32nd notes. You put a slight pause between the 32nd note riff and the subsequent bell tone in the bass. Are you playing all of the 32nd notes with the RH and the bass note with the left? Or are you splitting up the 32nd notes between the hands?

I am glad you only noticed a slight pause. I was (believe it or not smile ) working to eliminate that pause (after Richard so kindly pointed out that I'd been mis-reading the score! Thank you again ) --- And nope, I wasn't playing the riff with one hand. I tried for a long time to get it, and I could "just" do it very slowly - as soon as I tried to speed up I started getting a lot of tension in my forearm, and since I've had some pretty serious problems with that in the past, I gave it up and split the riff. I played the bass note with 5 and the first note with 1. If I had been working with my teacher over the summer I might have been able to manage it, but as things were, I had a "work-around" solution.

My secret is out smile

....and if I've inspired you to try this piece.... wow, that's pretty neat !

[Linked Image]
EPP 2018 - Germany!

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151018
New Orleans
A
Anne H Offline
Anne H  Offline
A
New Orleans
AimeeO- Gorgeous playing! You have lots of feeling in this and it's beautiful.

Saranoya - Your recording sounds great, both in terms of playing and in terms of quality.

Casinitaly- It's great that you really loved the piece that you picked! It's beautiful and you play it in a lovely thoughtful manner.

LadyChen - This is so cute! I can tell how much you enjoyed this from your playing.

AndyPlatt - You do a great job bringing out the melody in this piece. Congratulations on getting to such a great interpretation on your own!

Piano*Dad - You have great speed on this! Speed was my biggest personal challenge for this recital, so I'm really impressed with what you've achieved.

Saranoya- Your jumps sound really confident! I'm really impressed that you did two pieces that sound so great and finished.

AZ Astro - This is a big achievement for someone who has been playing for less than two years. You sound great! I'm excited to hear more of your playing in the future.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151020
09/16/13 02:12 AM
09/16/13 02:12 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
What a wonderful start for the ABF Grieg Lyric Piece E-Cital !!!!

It's a pleasure to hear each of you play. Your various approaches to creating the videos also kept things interesting.

None of you should be apologetic about your recordings. Recording is always about compromise. There is no "perfect" take.

It is obvious that a lot of serious thought and hard work has gone into your interpretations. You should all feel very pleased with what you've accomplished here.

Only 58 pieces to go !!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151041
09/16/13 03:10 AM
09/16/13 03:10 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Norway
First of all, thanks to all who performed pieces from Grieg’s first book with Lyric Pieces. I really enjoyed listening to every piece, and I’m very glad that you made the effort studying these small pearls written by our great national composer, Edvard Grieg.

No 1 Arietta / AimeeO

Very fine start of the recital. You really captured the mood of the Arietta, giving me associations of a beautiful sunny morning.

No 2 Waltz / Saranoya

You made a good job with the Waltz. Particularly I noticed your phrasing which was very obedient to Grieg’s score. I hope that you’ll not forget this piece after the recital is over.

No 3 Watchman’s Song / casinitaly

Like many of the Lyric Pieces this one is not extremely difficult technically, but pretty challenging musically. You made out the character of the piece very well. I really enjoyed listening to you.

No 4 Elves’ Dance / LadyChen

You chose a very good tempo for the Elves’ Dance, and managed to play it with the required lightness. And you really made music out of it, what is absolutely not easy. Very good job.

No 5 Popular Melody / Andy Platt

You show by your playing that you understand Grieg’s intention with this piece. It is a simple but very beautiful melody requiring some rhythmic flexibility, and I think you did very well.

No 6 Norwegian Melody / Piano Dad

Excellent performance! This is one of Grieg’s early attempts of combining Norwegian folk music with the more European style. You seem to have some of the Hardanger fiddler attitude then playing this piece. I’m impressed.

No 7 Album Leaf / Saranoya

The Album Leaf is my favorite among the Op.12 pieces. There is a harmonic turn there reminding me a bit of Chopin’s Waltz in a-minor. Technically it is more difficult than it may sound, and I gladly forgive you any missed notes. Your performance shows that you understand the music. Thanks for sharing.

No 8 National Song / AZ Astro

Op.12 No.8 is the original edition of Grieg’s National Song. Later Bjørnson added text to it and we used to sing it at school when I was a kid. I’m afraid it is very rarely used these days.
I enjoyed your performance. You have very fine dynamics, and make out the harmonic progression very well.

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151151
09/16/13 09:36 AM
09/16/13 09:36 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline
Williamsburg, VA
Ganddalf,

I did actually listen to some Hardenger Fiddle playing. The underlying drone and the occasional accent on the off beat are clearly written in to "Norwegian Melody." On the piano, the droning fifth is accented at the beginning of each four-measure theme, and then held so it fades gradually. Then it reappears in the next foursome of measures to maintain that supporting sound.

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151160
09/16/13 09:46 AM
09/16/13 09:46 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Opus 12 No 1: Arietta (performed by AimeeO)
- lovely - nice balance between the hands.

Opus 12 No 2: Waltz (performed by Saranoya) - I think you captured the feel of this very well. Love the short chords in the A section, and the little ornaments add so much!

Opus 12 No 3: Watchman's Song (performed by Casinitaly) - very sensitive playing. Loved the photos that you chose to go with the music.

Opus 12 No 4: Elve's Dance (performed by LadyChen) - So perky! I can see the elves dancing!

Opus 12 No 5: Popular Melody (performed by AndyPlatt) - You brought out the melody very well - the left hand was not overpowering at all - nice balance.

Opus 12 No 6: Norwegian Melody (performed by Piano*Dad) - Excellent job! Great tempo too. Now, are you tilting your head back to look through your bifocals? Looked like maybe you were - that will give you a crick in the neck - I know from experience. I had to get a set of piano glasses...

Opus 12 No 7: Album Leaf (performed by Saranoya) - You play with such concentration! Sounds like it paid off - great performance.

Opus 12 No 8: National Song (performed by AZ Astro) - Only two years of playing - this was great! Nice dynamics...

Sam

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151214
09/16/13 11:01 AM
09/16/13 11:01 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline
Williamsburg, VA
Opus 12 No 6: Norwegian Melody (performed by Piano*Dad) - ... Now, are you tilting your head back to look through your bifocals? Looked like maybe you were - that will give you a crick in the neck - I know from experience. I had to get a set of piano glasses...

I can't remember if I was using my computer glasses at that time. What I CAN tell you is that after two surgeries on my eyes (dealing with detached retina), I tend to look up a bit (as though I'm using bifocals) simply to get binocular vision. If I look down, my vision splits.

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151442
09/16/13 04:52 PM
09/16/13 04:52 PM
Sheffield UK
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member
wayne33yrs  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sheffield UK
Opus 12 No 3: Watchman's Song (performed by Casinitaly)

Really enjoyed it Cas, and the pictures were magic smile Good job missis wink x

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151721
09/16/13 11:52 PM
09/16/13 11:52 PM
P
Playagain Offline
Playagain  Offline
P
Just wanted to tell you all that I enjoyed all your performances so much! What a wonderful recital! I can't wait to listen to more of the Grieg Lyric Pieces.

Beautiful playing, beautiful pictures, wonderful performances! Thank you--this is so enjoyable!

"[Linked Image]"
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: Piano*Dad] #2151929
09/17/13 07:40 AM
09/17/13 07:40 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Opus 12 No 6: Norwegian Melody (performed by Piano*Dad) - ... Now, are you tilting your head back to look through your bifocals? Looked like maybe you were - that will give you a crick in the neck - I know from experience. I had to get a set of piano glasses...

I can't remember if I was using my computer glasses at that time. What I CAN tell you is that after two surgeries on my eyes (dealing with detached retina), I tend to look up a bit (as though I'm using bifocals) simply to get binocular vision. If I look down, my vision splits.

Two surgeries? Detached retina? *shudder* I'm even more impressed with your playing now!

Sam

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2151972
09/17/13 09:03 AM
09/17/13 09:03 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline
Williamsburg, VA
My left eye certainly isn't what it used to be. I find I'm having to learn to get around the keyboard more with touch and feel. It's not like I can't see, but often things are moving on the keyboard faster than I can fully take in with my eyes. So my dependence on my eyes is going down a bit.

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2152266
09/17/13 03:33 PM
09/17/13 03:33 PM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
What a glorious start to the Grieg recital. Thank you Ganddalf for setting the stage and to AimeeO, Saranoya, Casinitaly, AndyPlatt, AZAstro, Lady Chen, and Piano Dad for the beautiful music. I enjoyed each piece...the expression, the pictures, and the color you made evident. A hearty round of applause for this section.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2152279
09/17/13 03:58 PM
09/17/13 03:58 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W
Nice job everyone!

LadyChen I like the speed and sound, yes the end could be softer but it's fine already

Piano*Dad, great to hear you again here! Nice job, and you worked on your posture as well, keep it up wink

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2152814
09/18/13 08:04 AM
09/18/13 08:04 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
Congratulations! What a wonderful job! These pieces are little pearls. I especially enjoyed Album Leaf. And no, I couldn't hear any flubs, nor the cicadas, or anything else but great music!

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2152886
09/18/13 10:24 AM
09/18/13 10:24 AM
Maine
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Maine
AimeeO, Op. 12 no. 1 Arietta - I heard no cicadas. You bring out the cheerfulness of this melody.

Saranoya, Op. 12 no. 2 Vals - A pleasant little waltz, neatly played.

casinitaly, Op. 12 no. 3 Vaegtersang - I hear the calmness of the night and early dawn as the watchman makes his rounds.

LadyChen, Op. 12 no. 4 Elverdans - How lovely and spritely this dance is, with the left hand chords reminding us that elves can be not only lithe and airy, but also fierce and determined.

Andy Platt, Op. 12 no. 5 Folkevise - You really let this melody sing. I can imagine a singer shaping it. Well done on managing the bass so it supports but doesn't overpower the melody.

Piano*Dad, op. 12 no. 6 Norsk - That is a lot of lovely music in 59 seconds! Very enjoyable. I could listen to this over and over -- it's like a tiny peek through a keyhole into a large Norwegian landscape which extends much farther than one can see, which one examines over and over trying to understand all the details.

Saranoya, Op. 12 no. 7 Stambogsblad - It's an intriguing piece -- you've made me want to learn it.

AZ Astro, Op. 12 no. 8 Fedrelandssang - Yes, this sounds like a Fatherland Song right from the very opening notes! Well played.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 09/18/13 10:56 AM. Reason: peek, not peak... even though Norway appears to be quite mountainous

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2153026
09/18/13 02:06 PM
09/18/13 02:06 PM
West Bengal, India
R
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline
Rupak Bhattacharya  Offline
R
West Bengal, India
I'm so much engrossed in enjoying all the beautiful performances of this wonderful Grieg recital! When the proposal for Grieg recital came (in between the ongoing Mendelssohn recital) I listened to a few of his lyric pieces; but, to be honest, at that time I couldn't fully understand the true beauty of those pieces (except for the one I chose, of course grin)! Now I'm really overwhelmed to feel and to know the underlying passions and thoughts of these pieces! A properly arranged themed recital thus seems to be an extremely powerful way to study and understand a composer's work. I'm really grateful and thankful to all of the organizers and participants whose painstaking efforts and dedications has made this recital a grand success!

My heartiest congratulations to AimeeO, Saranoya, Casinitaly, LadyChen, AndyPlatt, PianoDad and AZ Astro for creating such a wonderful prelude to this big recital! I thoroughly enjoyed all of your passionate playings, the background notes greatly helped realizing and enjoying the pieces more.

Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2153441
09/19/13 01:37 AM
09/19/13 01:37 AM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tempe, Arizona
Now that the recital is well underway, I have to say I am very impressed with the playing and the commitment by all concerned. What a nice feeling, to be a part of a world community of piano enthusiasts who love and believe in the making of this music.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and I look forward to hearing all the rest of the Opus-es. ? Ha ha! It has also been a real delight to hear the great variety of pieces by Edvard Grieg; I have also really enjoyed reading about his life via Ganddalf's comments at the start of each opus.

Thank you all for your creative participation and dedication!

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2153564
09/19/13 08:26 AM
09/19/13 08:26 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
Now that the recital is well underway, I have to say I am very impressed with the playing and the commitment by all concerned. What a nice feeling, to be a part of a world community of piano enthusiasts who love and believe in the making of this music.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and I look forward to hearing all the rest of the Opus-es. ? Ha ha! It has also been a real delight to hear the great variety of pieces by Edvard Grieg; I have also really enjoyed reading about his life via Ganddalf's comments at the start of each opus.

Thank you all for your creative participation and dedication!

+1 ! I think the plural for Opus is Opera, oddly enough.

I totally agree about the playing. I was impressed in the Mendelssohn recital and this one looks to be just as high-quality!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2153940
09/19/13 05:30 PM
09/19/13 05:30 PM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
south florida
Kudos to all the performers. I really enjoyed your playing but won't have time this week to comment one each individual submission. Thanks for bringing us this treat. thumb

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: Morodiene] #2154169
09/20/13 01:48 AM
09/20/13 01:48 AM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tempe, Arizona
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think the plural for Opus is Opera, oddly enough.

Thanks! That made my day and I went and looked it up in dictionary.com. You are absolutely right.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 [Re: casinitaly] #2155732
09/22/13 07:44 PM
09/22/13 07:44 PM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Virginia, USA
Phew, coming late to the party. I find it harder to find time to watch videos than listen to audio because I just can't download them all into my library and listen at leisure. At least, not easily.

AimeeO/Arietta Too beautiful for words. You nailed the voicing, absolutely got it. I could hear the melody so clearly, but the bass and the arpeggios were just right. I liked you too the ritard at the end a bit sooner than written - perfect!

Saranoya/Waltz Great performance! I wonder if you heard a version that had staccato on the left hand second and third beats? It sounds natural, I was surprised to see it not in the score. You brought a nice change in mood to the middle section and coda. Great!

Casinitaly/Watchman's Song I'm glad you tackled this, wonderfully performed. The first section was performed with wonderful gravity but didn't get too heavy. The intermezzo brings out the other worldliness really well and I loved how you nailed the dynamic markings.

LadyChen/Elves' Dance Fantastic. I've struggled through sight-reading this at about 1/10th tempo and wondered about the piece. You show exactly what it is. I can hear the elves skipping around, I can hear the mischief. The dynamics were nicely shaded and the tempo was perfect.

Piano*Dad/Norwegian Melody This piece, like LadyChen's, moves at a wonderful pace but is, likewise, played just right. The dynamic control of the left hand with fast moving thick chords is just wonderful. The different voices can be clearly heard and, all in all, it's a wonderful performance.

Saranoya/Albumleaf Very nicely done. You really let the melody flow, which nice crisp rhythms but enough room to breath. Nice dynamics and tempo too. Got me confused, though, because your edition doesn't match mine and I was following along with a different score!

AZ Astro/National Song You got the Meastoso perfectly. I felt very much like a National Song should, Grieg style! You managed to give it a great melodic feel even with the thick chords.

Well, I don't need to listen to any more. Opus 12 won't be beat! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
GRIEG LYRIC PIECES OPUS 12 PART 1 OF 10 #2738706
05/22/18 05:54 PM
05/22/18 05:54 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
We wanted to post all the pieces in order, within the Opus albums....so we didn't use the recital software.

That means that with changes in the forum software, and with people leaving, some of the links no longer work.
Last summer we recreated, as much as possible, (we only missed about 5 submissions) - the whole recital, using the recital software.
So if you are going through these threads and find links that don't work - try going to the ABF RECITAL INDEX and take a look there.

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/22/18 06:00 PM.

[Linked Image]
EPP 2018 - Germany!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Balance rail punchings
by Sanfrancisco. 09/25/18 01:55 PM
Cabinet vs Stage/Midi
by jamiecw. 09/25/18 12:35 PM
Amadeus Piano
by LennieAJ. 09/25/18 09:46 AM
Considering the Kawai ES8 digital piano
by Revantu. 09/25/18 05:43 AM
Ludwig & Hoff - anyone?
by styzer. 09/25/18 04:52 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,478
Posts2,747,712
Members91,093
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission