2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Hi, I have an used Kawai CA65, its white keys were scratched pretty hard, therefore I want to replace their keytop, I can order those keytop fairly easy on aliex, but I can find the adhesive nowhere near me, pvc-e glue must be ordered on amazon, ebay and something similar, their shipping cost is high and wait time is so long for such small bottle. So I'd to ask if there are any good alternative adhesive, I know that pvc-e glue is easy to work with and really strong, but can't find one :(, can I use some common glue like PVA/ATM or anything that is easier to find. Thanks in advance

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7F - Yamaha G2/Studiologic SL88 Studio
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Look for Evacon-R adhesive.

H
OP Offline
H
I believe that's EVA-glue right, kinda hard to find here, how about PVA or PVAc ? Thanks very much

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7F - Yamaha G2/Studiologic SL88 Studio
S
S
The closest glue that you'll find at local hardware stores is "Weldbond". It is a thick white glue with similar properties.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Have you considered sanding the keys and polishing them? That will not repair chips, of course, but if they are just scratched, that may be an alternative.

Semipro Tech
B
B
+1 on sanding and polishing. Replacing all keytops is not a small job.

Musician / tuner
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I agree with the above. Hoang, don't do this! You will not get close to the keytop quality that your piano came with. New keytops will not just fit perfectly onto your keys. You'll have to trim them and tidy them up and you need proper equipment to do that properly or else you'll end up with very ugly/non-uniform key edges and non-parallel gaps. The scratches on your keys can be much improved with some careful sanding and polishing.

A few days isn't that long to wait for the right glue. That said, I'm going to join the pile-on advising you to reconsider. I've seen way too many pianos with horrible "new" sets of keytops. The keytops usually haven't been filed or notched properly, so they click against each other on the sides, and sometimes jam against the sharps. The DIY-er usually hasn't taken the time to plane down the exposed wood and dried glue under the old keytops, so the new ones aren't level, are too high relative to the sharps, and don't adhere properly so they start popping off one by one. I took some pictures of myself doing some of these "extra" steps that most people skip and put them on my blog at http://www.willeypianotuning.com/2014/11/02/replacing-piano-key-tops/ Different people have different ways of doing some of these steps, but this will give you an idea of some of the machinery and labor involved in doing the job right.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I had not realised when I read and replied to the O.P. that a DIY job by a non piano technician was contemplated. I have to add my warning note to the others, I think. It's a MUCH trickier job than people realise. Lots of potential for disaster.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
In the cosmetics department of a drugstore, look for the four sided abrasive/polishing block used to buff out fingernails. It will be a lot of hand work, but this may be all you need to buff out the scratches and polish the key tops.

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce
I had not realised when I read and replied to the O.P. that a DIY job by a non piano technician was contemplated. I have to add my warning note to the others, I think. It's a MUCH trickier job than people realise. Lots of potential for disaster.

The OP has been quiet since May, so it is entirely possible that he has already messed up his keys, ... or he has decided to polish them and found out that isn't as easy as it sounds either.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission