Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
114 registered members (apianostudent, AlphaBravoCharlie, Amedeus, 7uturu, Beemer, Bruce In Philly, ando, Bill McKaig,RPT, 16 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions #2736361
05/14/18 11:58 AM
05/14/18 11:58 AM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Hello,

Our 13 year old son is ready to move up from his Winter spinet. (He heard that this forum tends to view that brand a certain way and wants to do a video of himself before we get rid of it -- making one sound good! smile ) He's studying pipe organ and is, like all parents say, very talented.

We looked at an early 1960's G7. My overall take on it is that it's a bit dried out -- needing tuning every 6 months, numerous long cracks in the soundboard, even legs that have gone a little loose sitting for 25 years. Air conditioned house is the culprit, I think. Soundboard seems to have had some repairs prior to its most recent purchase in 1992. If I had to guess, I'd say the harp was also repainted then. Cosmetics are good -- though the music desk has a repaired crack on one side.

Among my concerns is that the piano's soundboard may suffer more damaged from a move, being already dried out. The piano still plays with a lot of power and clarity; it was a pleasure to hear even though some notes had gone a little off (it was only at the "that piano could use a tuning" point, not "barroom saloon" level)

The action is great, I heard a very slight double strike on two notes, but everything was otherwise smooth and even. Our son thoroughly enjoyed playing it. 7'6" is a lot of piano for our house, but we are ok with dedicating our front room to it.

[Linked Image]

Any thoughts?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736371
05/14/18 12:30 PM
05/14/18 12:30 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I would advise a very thorough inspection by an experienced piano technician before proceeding with a purchase. I am not aware of legs on a piano that get loose from sitting, or soundboard cracks that are caused by air conditioning. More serious environmental problems, or poorly seasoned wood (or substandard other parts) are more likely scenarios. Larger grand pianos tend to need tuning at least every 6 months in just about any environment where I've lived. If moved professionally, the soundboard is not in any danger from the act of moving alone.

After playing a Winter spinet, ANYTHING is going to feel markedly better, including a grand piano in need of rebuilding, repairs, regulation, voicing, and tuning. I do not consider an early 1960s Yamaha to be near the same quality of what they've made in the past few decades, and I suspect what attracts people to these 50+ year old asian pianos is the name on the fallboard.

Owning a big grand piano is a neat experience, however I should warn you they tend not to be easy to resell, if things don't work out.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: terminaldegree] #2736381
05/14/18 01:14 PM
05/14/18 01:14 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
After playing a Winter spinet, ANYTHING is going to feel markedly better...
An important point IMO. I played a Baldwin Acrosonic for many years before I bought my first grand, and every showroom piano I tried sounded sensational by comparison although I only realized later that not all of them were really that good.

Besides the tech inspection, I think your son should try out quite a few other grands including some new ones to see how they play and sound compared to this Yamaha.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/14/18 01:15 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736389
05/14/18 01:49 PM
05/14/18 01:49 PM
G
GC13 Online content
GC13  Online Content
G

Terminaldegree and pianoloverus offer great advice. Can you share what they are asking for it? If the piano is located in Georgia, the air-conditioned home has probably saved the piano rather than drying it out due to the humidity levels there, especially in the summer. There are so many variables to consider when making a purchase. The piano may be a great value for the money, or it may be a money pit. Cracks in the soundboard may or may not be a bad thing. Of course, they always impact the market value of an instrument, but they may or may not affect the ability of the soundboard to amplify sound properly. The loss of crown in the soundboard tends to be the bigger issue.

You should definitely shop and become well-educated before purchasing any grand piano, b/c generally-speaking, playing on ANY grand in decent condition will probably be an enjoyable experience if your son plays primarily on ANY spinet (Winter or not). There just hasn't been a spinet produced with the potential and feel of a grand piano. So it then becomes very easy to become "grand-piano-struck". I'd shop around quite a bit, and become familiar with everything available in your market within your budget. In the end, this one may be the ticket.

The G7 was the predecessor to the C7. As terminaldegree indicated, the G7 is no C7, and the Yamaha's from the early days in the US
are not the Yamaha's of more recent decades. However, if it checks out in an inspection, it might be a great instrument and value. A G7 in very good condition would probably be much better than a newer C7 (or any Yamaha C series piano for that matter) that has been put thru the wringer and not cared for properly.

Last edited by GC13; 05/14/18 01:50 PM.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736412
05/14/18 02:55 PM
05/14/18 02:55 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

🎹
As others have noted, this piano is not from the era in which Yamaha built its great reputation. That said, treat it as you should any secondhand piano of interest: have it inspected, in general, and the sound board repairs, etc.

Why do you think the plate was refinished? Is there overspray on other parts? The reason I ask is because properly refinishing the plate would require unstringing and removal, an undertaking that a then thirty year-old Yamaha probably wouldn't have merited, IMO (or likely even "needed" under normal usage).

One thing that concerns me from your description is that only some notes are distinctly out of tune. If owing to the passage of time, strings tend to go out of tune slowly and relatively "together." They won't creep out of tune at exactly the same rate, but you normally won't have most of the 88 remain in tune, while a few go out of tune alone. The saloon sound isn't just on or off, it's a progressively worsening phenomenon. So, when your technician inspects the piano, make sure those notes--and all notes--can remain in tune (i.e. that the piano can still hold a tuning).

if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736457
05/14/18 05:15 PM
05/14/18 05:15 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Thank you for the responses. We’re reasonably educated as far as pianos go, and not new to looking at them. I do know vintage instruments fairly well, and have a collection them. I grew up on a Steinway from the 1920’s — and even lived and taught in the “Steinway” neighborhood of Astoria, Queens. Asking is $5.5k. That of course is a good price for a semi-concert grand, but I’ve seen a number of old pianos and not seen one with this many cracks in a soundboard.

It’s good to know that grands do need more regular tuning. Our little spinet takes longer to go out of tune, and it seemed odd that a better instrument would need more frequent tuning. Thanks for that tip.

The gold paint on the harp just looked rather fresh — no 1960’s patina at all. It was just an impresssion. Perhaps the piano received a rather thorough cleaning.

The asking is $5500. We are planning on playing a number of others — our son did say that he liked the piano better than most of the pianos he played at a local fine piano shop. This included some Czech pianos made by Bechstein, some Yamaha’s (including a new 9’) Kawais, etc.

And in reply to Retsachnal — the few notes that were out were not terribly so, just at the point where one would say “yes, time to tune the piano.”

I’m glad to see that no one considers the cracks in the soundboard vulnerable to a move, though no one has addressed that directly.

Last edited by Standalone; 05/14/18 05:17 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736492
05/14/18 06:25 PM
05/14/18 06:25 PM
Fayetteville, GA
M
mivaldes Offline
mivaldes  Offline
M

Fayetteville, GA
Where is this piano located? (What part of the country)? Seems like a pretty old piano to me. What is your max budget?

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
Kawai RX-5, Kawai CA78
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: mivaldes] #2736493
05/14/18 06:29 PM
05/14/18 06:29 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Northeast US

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736494
05/14/18 06:36 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
What I like about Piano World is the variety of opinions. Sometimes there is a clash of personalities, and arguments flair up when someone doesn't agree with someone else's opinion.

That said, I think the older G7 could be a good prospect for your son until something better comes along. I do agree to have it inspected by a qualified piano technician not affiliated with the seller. But it sounds like you are experienced enough to make a pretty good judgment yourself.

I honestly think there is room for some negotiation on the price, although it is not an outrageously high price, if the tuning pins are sufficiently tight. And, if they are lacking torque, that would another good reason to offer a lower price. Loose pins can be improved/tightened to extent by a good tech who knows how to do it. And, the repair can last a long time.

It all depends on what your short-term and long-term goals are in terms of a nice piano for your son to play and practice on.

The piano looks nice in the pictures, and you should be able to tell if it sound nice to you. You've already said the action feels good, and the Yamaha action is known for long-term reliability, even under harsh conditions.

As for the cracks in the sound-board, if you can live with it, and it doesn't have any buzzes or rattles, I'd say it's a good prospect. Based on my research over the years, the consensus of tech opinions on a cracked sound board is that if it doesn't have any buzzes or rattles, it usually doesn't affect anything except the value of the instrument.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your decision!! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736495
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

Standalone, just curious, your son preferred the long, old yamaha to a new W.Hoffmann grand ? not sure if that is the piano you describe as 'Czech pianos made by Bechstein'.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736501
05/14/18 06:50 PM
05/14/18 06:50 PM
Nashville, TN
P
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianolance  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Nashville, TN
The older Yamaha G pianos can be great instruments. Looking at the pic it looks like the piano is in the direct vicinity of a heat vent and could have been there for years or even decades. That's a little bit concerning due to the drying factor on the wood. Another general observation of older Yamahas is that it seems many of them could use a key rebushing because the action feels a little heavy and slow. Maybe if you get this piano you should consider a damp chaser system to re-hydrate the piano and keep it that way. One reason the plate could be shiney is they kept the lid down and almost never lifted it. Another reason is they spent some time polishing it up. I highly doubt it was repainted unless the whole piano was at least partially refurbished.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736553
05/14/18 09:40 PM
05/14/18 09:40 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

There was apparently a partial refurbishment in the early 1990’s.

Huaidongxi, he said that he preferred it to most of the pianos he played. The W. Hoffman was his favorite of the more affordable pianos upstairs — the Yamaha and Kawai he played had none of the rich complexity of the W. Hoffman, which just sounded fantastic to my ears. Thank you for reminding me of the name Hoffman.

He’s a pipe organist at heart and the clear powerful bass notes of the G7 sure do give a similar satisfaction to those 32’ reed stops... smile

I agree about the price. It’s not unreasonable and there may be a buyer out there at that price. Reading the advice here and finding that no one is sounding a major alarm about the soundboard makes me a little more confident in making an offer.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736560
05/14/18 09:45 PM
05/14/18 09:45 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Pianolance — is characterize the action as medium light. The old family Steinway has a mediumnjard slow action that does loosen up with use. Our Kawai MP9500 has a very heavy action. Jimmy doesn’t like it very much. But his teacher has recorded mended that we consider a piano with a heavier touch than the G7, as this would be better for his technique development.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736577
05/14/18 09:52 PM
05/14/18 09:52 PM
Nashville, TN
P
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianolance  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Nashville, TN
There's nothing wrong with a quick, light action as long as it isn't too light. My guess is if it had some refurbishment in the 90's they might have put new strings on. If that's the case and a technician clears it I'd say that piano will be hard to beat at that price.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736580
05/14/18 09:57 PM
05/14/18 09:57 PM
Fayetteville, GA
M
mivaldes Offline
mivaldes  Offline
M

Fayetteville, GA
I'm enjoying the different opinions. I'm on a piano search right now too (although I've been moving at a snail's pace while saving up cash)!!

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
Kawai RX-5, Kawai CA78
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2736689
05/15/18 01:11 AM
05/15/18 01:11 AM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

Standalone, thank you for the details. the few buyers of Hoffmann pianos who've posted here recently have been very positive, and the pianos are not widely distributed in the u.s., making it unlikely for many of us to look at and play them.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: huaidongxi] #2736720
05/15/18 06:37 AM
05/15/18 06:37 AM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by huaidongxi
Standalone, thank you for the details. the few buyers of Hoffmann pianos who've posted here recently have been very positive, and the pianos are not widely distributed in the u.s., making it unlikely for many of us to look at and play them.
Faust Harrison carries them in the North East.

I recommend both the store and the piano -- while their main showroom with US$30k and up pianos had nicer offerings of course, in the large room upstairs with pianos from US$10-20k, the W. Hoffman sounded the most lively, organic, and musical of all of them. I can definitely recommend playing one if you get any opportunity. The tone was even and complex -- like a good wine. Very different from just the mellow to bright spectrum on offer at that price range. He did not play the Boston piano that was there. (note that my memory says that it was a $13k grand... but we were there only on an initial visit and not seriously looking to purchase.)

Marcus -- I'm enjoying the discussion too. I knew from my infrequent posting that this was a knowledgeable forum.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737050
05/16/18 06:28 AM
05/16/18 06:28 AM
P
Pkhentz Offline
Pkhentz  Offline
P

I took a look at this piano and posted about it in the Technician's forum a few days ago. After further discussion with my own technician, I decided to definitely pass. If you could pick it up for $1-2k, then it might be worth it. Otherwise: the soundboard has many cracks, which is an indicator that there are significant humidity/dryness issues that are likely affecting other parts of the piano too. The action was quite sluggish when I played it. You couldn't do a clean trill on most notes. Tone had tinniness. Regulation & voicing would improve this--but now I think only to a degree, given that there may be deeper problems. After talking with my tech, I now think this piano is more in need of rebuilding, not just regulation, because of humidity issues. And I'm not sure it's worth buying for rebuilding at the current price level.

Apparently these first US Yamahas from the 1960s were not designed to deal with the temperature extremes of the Northeast US. Yamahas from the 1980's faired significantly better, from what I've read (on this forum and elsewhere). Unless these 60's pianos have been kept in pristine temperature conditions (w/ climate control system, etc.), it's likely they need more than just regulation.

Anyway, if your son likes the piano and will be happy with it, then that's a different story. But I just thought I'd chime in, since I also looked at it.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Pkhentz] #2737076
05/16/18 08:09 AM
05/16/18 08:09 AM
G
GC13 Online content
GC13  Online Content
G

Originally Posted by Pkhentz

Apparently these first US Yamahas from the 1960s were not designed to deal with the temperature extremes of the Northeast US. Yamahas from the 1980's faired significantly better, from what I've read (on this forum and elsewhere). Unless these 60's pianos have been kept in pristine temperature conditions (w/ climate control system, etc.), it's likely they need more than just regulation.

I've always heard that the 1st Yamaha's imported to the US did not fair well in certain climate conditions as well. I played a 1970's G-series back in the 1980's in home of a friend who happened to co-own a well-known recording studio in Greenville, SC. I thought it was a nice piano, not a C7, but nice enough. He had bought the piano 2nd hand for his wife at a very reasonable price b/c it was developing climate-related issues. With the help of the piano technician he used at the recording studio, they were able to correct the problems, and it made a decent piano for his home.

Do any of our resident RPT's have experience with these issues? What did Yamaha do wrong back in those days?

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Pkhentz] #2737118
05/16/18 10:55 AM
05/16/18 10:55 AM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

I took a look at this piano and posted about it in the Technician's forum a few days ago. After further discussion with my own technician, I decided to definitely pass. If you could pick it up for $1-2k, then it might be worth it. Otherwise: the soundboard has many cracks, which is an indicator that there are significant humidity/dryness issues that are likely affecting other parts of the piano too. The action was quite sluggish when I played it. You couldn't do a clean trill on most notes. Tone had tinniness. Regulation & voicing would improve this--but now I think only to a degree, given that there may be deeper problems. After talking with my tech, I now think this piano is more in need of rebuilding, not just regulation, because of humidity issues. And I'm not sure it's worth buying for rebuilding at the current price level.

Anyway, if your son likes the piano and will be happy with it, then that's a different story. But I just thought I'd chime in, since I also looked at it.

Thanks, Pkhentz. This was my assessment, too. To my thinking, the piano is worth somewhere around that $2k range -- but our teenage son certainly enjoyed the authority and clarity of the bass. He was trying trills out, which our old spinet certainly cannot do, and found it to be to his satisfaction, but he is a serious student looking to play professionally (especially on pipe organ) and his technique needs are going to continually require a more and more responsive action. I will go look at your other thread. Many thanks.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737153
05/16/18 12:34 PM
05/16/18 12:34 PM
P
Pkhentz Offline
Pkhentz  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Standalone

Thanks, Pkhentz. This was my assessment, too. To my thinking, the piano is worth somewhere around that $2k range -- but our teenage son certainly enjoyed the authority and clarity of the bass. He was trying trills out, which our old spinet certainly cannot do, and found it to be to his satisfaction, but he is a serious student looking to play professionally (especially on pipe organ) and his technique needs are going to continually require a more and more responsive action. I will go look at your other thread. Many thanks.

Good luck in your search. Make sure to go see lots of pianos--even ones beyond your $ range, to get a sense of what qualities you're looking for. Great deals can be had on Craigslist. And my guess is that the way this one sounds/plays in its current condition, it'll be around for a while.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Pkhentz] #2737260
05/16/18 07:24 PM
05/16/18 07:24 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Good luck in your search. Make sure to go see lots of pianos--even ones beyond your $ range, to get a sense of what qualities you're looking for. Great deals can be had on Craigslist. And my guess is that the way this one sounds/plays in its current condition, it'll be around for a while.

Thanks. We stopped into Faust Harrison, and were honest about only being there to window shop. They took us up to the lower and mid-priced pianos first, but after hearing Jimmy, he was invited down to play their finer floor stock in their main showroom. And invited back to "window shop" any time! smile

Though this Yamaha is a mixed bag, I think whoever winds up getting it will enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited by Standalone; 05/16/18 07:25 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737397
05/17/18 10:29 AM
05/17/18 10:29 AM
G
GC13 Online content
GC13  Online Content
G

We stopped into Faust Harrison, and were honest about only being there to window shop. They took us up to the lower and mid-priced pianos first, but after hearing Jimmy, he was invited down to play their finer floor stock in their main showroom. And invited back to "window shop" any time! smile

I'd say most dealers like for accomplished players to "window shop" b/c they make the pianos sound wonderful which in turn may entice other buyers. I get that quite often too.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737405
05/17/18 10:55 AM
05/17/18 10:55 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by GC13
I'd say most dealers like for accomplished players to "window shop" b/c they make the pianos sound wonderful which in turn may entice other buyers. I get that quite often too.

Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where a piano salesperson told a potential customer/buyer trying out pianos in their store that their playing was terrible and they should choose another musical instrument or find another hobby, although it may happen on occasion with a particularly feisty and outspoken salesperson. smile

I guess it's part of a piano salesperson's job to flatter the customer and make them feel good about their playing, whether they (salesperson) feels that way or not. Usually, if you win someones confidence and come across as personable and likable, you'er more likely to sell to that customer; usually, but not always. Typically, if win the customer's heart/friendship, you win their pocketbook too; typically, but not always.

How did I get on this subject? smile

Anyway, I too think the Yamaha G7 has potential for someone who is looking for the benefits of a semi-concert grand, without the pain of a huge price-tag. We can only play a piano one day at a time. Reminds me of an original song I wrote, "This moment in time". smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Rickster] #2737510
05/17/18 05:28 PM
05/17/18 05:28 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by GC13

Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where a piano salesperson told a potential customer/buyer trying out pianos in their store that their playing was terrible and they should choose another musical instrument or find another hobby, although it may happen on occasion with a particularly feisty and outspoken salesperson. smile

I guess it's part of a piano salesperson's job to flatter the customer and make them feel good about their playing, whether they (salesperson) feels that way or not. Usually, if you win someones confidence and come across as personable and likable, you'er more likely to sell to that customer; usually, but not always. Typically, if win the customer's heart/friendship, you win their pocketbook too; typically, but not always.

How did I get on this subject? smile

Anyway, I too think the Yamaha G7 has potential for someone who is looking for the benefits of a semi-concert grand, without the pain of a huge price-tag. We can only play a piano one day at a time. Reminds me of an original song I wrote, "This moment in time". smile

All the best!

Rick

True enough! He hasn't let me take many videos of him lately, or I'd post something recent. Here is a quick shot of him working on some improvisation ideas for a prelude at a recent church service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TwUsTFw50

And Easter rehearsal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhkwqg42Sk smile

Last edited by Standalone; 05/17/18 05:34 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737530
05/17/18 07:07 PM
05/17/18 07:07 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
True enough! He hasn't let me take many videos of him lately, or I'd post something recent. Here is a quick shot of him working on some improvisation ideas for a prelude at a recent church service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TwUsTFw50

Very nice! I really enjoyed the second video with the pipe organ. I see why he likes the pipe organ the best! smile

Oh, and in my comments about piano salespeople complementing all their customers on their playing, I never meant to suggest that your son wasn't very talented and didn't deserve the complements (just so you know:-).

Thanks for posting the videos! thumb

Rick

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Rickster] #2737657
05/18/18 11:22 AM
05/18/18 11:22 AM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Rickster

Very nice! I really enjoyed the second video with the pipe organ. I see why he likes the pipe organ the best! smile

Oh, and in my comments about piano salespeople complementing all their customers on their playing, I never meant to suggest that your son wasn't very talented and didn't deserve the complements (just so you know:-).

Thanks for posting the videos! thumb

Rick
It's ok -- We proud parents of a piano student on this forum tend to overestimate! :-)

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737684
05/18/18 12:38 PM
05/18/18 12:38 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City

Re the recent posts about the salespeople's tendency to complement potential buyers.

I was visiting a local piano dealer yesterday to try out some Avantgrands and Clavinovas. I played the opening four measures or so of the slow movements of some Beethoven Sonatas on two models. Then I told the salesman that was considering getting a hybrid so I could play anytime without annoying the neighbors. The salesman said he didn't see how I could annoy the neighbors since I played so well haha.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/18/18 12:40 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737695
05/18/18 01:23 PM
05/18/18 01:23 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Re the recent posts about the salespeople's tendency to complement potential buyers.

I was visiting a local piano dealer yesterday to try out some Avantgrands and Clavinovas. I played the opening four measures or so of the slow movements of some Beethoven Sonatas on two models. Then I told the salesman that was considering getting a hybrid so I could play anytime without annoying the neighbors. The salesman said he didn't see how I could annoy the neighbors since I played so well haha.

Pianoloverus, in your case, my instincts tell me that you play very well, though I don't think I've ever heard you play. I would like to hear you play to confirm my theory. smile

On the other hand, my piano playing is unorthodox, primitive, simplistic and hillbillyish (don't know if that's a word or not:-). However, I do enjoy my own playing, and would like to think that others would too. But the most important thing is whether or not we enjoy our piano learning/playing experiences.

Rick

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737711
05/18/18 02:16 PM
05/18/18 02:16 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Ha! I'm sort of a hack bass player -- it's tough sometimes to live in a home with one current professional musician (my wife) and a future one... smile

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U1 vs YUS1
by cappi. 10/17/18 12:50 PM
Bushing keys
by jinorden. 10/17/18 08:45 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,858
Posts2,753,428
Members91,275
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission