Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
127 registered members (36251, ASilotiCoffee, Amedeus, ando, 90125, anotherscott, Anthill, Alex Hutor, Artur Gajewski, 29 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737153
05/16/18 11:34 AM
05/16/18 11:34 AM
P
Pkhentz Offline
Pkhentz  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Standalone

Thanks, Pkhentz. This was my assessment, too. To my thinking, the piano is worth somewhere around that $2k range -- but our teenage son certainly enjoyed the authority and clarity of the bass. He was trying trills out, which our old spinet certainly cannot do, and found it to be to his satisfaction, but he is a serious student looking to play professionally (especially on pipe organ) and his technique needs are going to continually require a more and more responsive action. I will go look at your other thread. Many thanks.

Good luck in your search. Make sure to go see lots of pianos--even ones beyond your $ range, to get a sense of what qualities you're looking for. Great deals can be had on Craigslist. And my guess is that the way this one sounds/plays in its current condition, it'll be around for a while.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Pkhentz] #2737260
05/16/18 06:24 PM
05/16/18 06:24 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Pkhentz

Thanks, Pkhentz. This was my assessment, too. To my thinking, the piano is worth somewhere around that $2k range -- but our teenage son certainly enjoyed the authority and clarity of the bass. He was trying trills out, which our old spinet certainly cannot do, and found it to be to his satisfaction, but he is a serious student looking to play professionally (especially on pipe organ) and his technique needs are going to continually require a more and more responsive action. I will go look at your other thread. Many thanks.

Good luck in your search. Make sure to go see lots of pianos--even ones beyond your $ range, to get a sense of what qualities you're looking for. Great deals can be had on Craigslist. And my guess is that the way this one sounds/plays in its current condition, it'll be around for a while.

Thanks. We stopped into Faust Harrison, and were honest about only being there to window shop. They took us up to the lower and mid-priced pianos first, but after hearing Jimmy, he was invited down to play their finer floor stock in their main showroom. And invited back to "window shop" any time! smile

Though this Yamaha is a mixed bag, I think whoever winds up getting it will enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited by Standalone; 05/16/18 06:25 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737397
05/17/18 09:29 AM
05/17/18 09:29 AM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

We stopped into Faust Harrison, and were honest about only being there to window shop. They took us up to the lower and mid-priced pianos first, but after hearing Jimmy, he was invited down to play their finer floor stock in their main showroom. And invited back to "window shop" any time! smile

I'd say most dealers like for accomplished players to "window shop" b/c they make the pianos sound wonderful which in turn may entice other buyers. I get that quite often too.

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737405
05/17/18 09:55 AM
05/17/18 09:55 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by GC13
I'd say most dealers like for accomplished players to "window shop" b/c they make the pianos sound wonderful which in turn may entice other buyers. I get that quite often too.

Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where a piano salesperson told a potential customer/buyer trying out pianos in their store that their playing was terrible and they should choose another musical instrument or find another hobby, although it may happen on occasion with a particularly feisty and outspoken salesperson. smile

I guess it's part of a piano salesperson's job to flatter the customer and make them feel good about their playing, whether they (salesperson) feels that way or not. Usually, if you win someones confidence and come across as personable and likable, you'er more likely to sell to that customer; usually, but not always. Typically, if win the customer's heart/friendship, you win their pocketbook too; typically, but not always.

How did I get on this subject? smile

Anyway, I too think the Yamaha G7 has potential for someone who is looking for the benefits of a semi-concert grand, without the pain of a huge price-tag. We can only play a piano one day at a time. Reminds me of an original song I wrote, "This moment in time". smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Rickster] #2737510
05/17/18 04:28 PM
05/17/18 04:28 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by GC13

Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think I've ever heard of an instance where a piano salesperson told a potential customer/buyer trying out pianos in their store that their playing was terrible and they should choose another musical instrument or find another hobby, although it may happen on occasion with a particularly feisty and outspoken salesperson. smile

I guess it's part of a piano salesperson's job to flatter the customer and make them feel good about their playing, whether they (salesperson) feels that way or not. Usually, if you win someones confidence and come across as personable and likable, you'er more likely to sell to that customer; usually, but not always. Typically, if win the customer's heart/friendship, you win their pocketbook too; typically, but not always.

How did I get on this subject? smile

Anyway, I too think the Yamaha G7 has potential for someone who is looking for the benefits of a semi-concert grand, without the pain of a huge price-tag. We can only play a piano one day at a time. Reminds me of an original song I wrote, "This moment in time". smile

All the best!

Rick

True enough! He hasn't let me take many videos of him lately, or I'd post something recent. Here is a quick shot of him working on some improvisation ideas for a prelude at a recent church service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TwUsTFw50

And Easter rehearsal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhkwqg42Sk smile

Last edited by Standalone; 05/17/18 04:34 PM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737530
05/17/18 06:07 PM
05/17/18 06:07 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
True enough! He hasn't let me take many videos of him lately, or I'd post something recent. Here is a quick shot of him working on some improvisation ideas for a prelude at a recent church service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TwUsTFw50

Very nice! I really enjoyed the second video with the pipe organ. I see why he likes the pipe organ the best! smile

Oh, and in my comments about piano salespeople complementing all their customers on their playing, I never meant to suggest that your son wasn't very talented and didn't deserve the complements (just so you know:-).

Thanks for posting the videos! thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Rickster] #2737657
05/18/18 10:22 AM
05/18/18 10:22 AM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Rickster

Very nice! I really enjoyed the second video with the pipe organ. I see why he likes the pipe organ the best! smile

Oh, and in my comments about piano salespeople complementing all their customers on their playing, I never meant to suggest that your son wasn't very talented and didn't deserve the complements (just so you know:-).

Thanks for posting the videos! thumb

Rick
It's ok -- We proud parents of a piano student on this forum tend to overestimate! :-)

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737684
05/18/18 11:38 AM
05/18/18 11:38 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City

Re the recent posts about the salespeople's tendency to complement potential buyers.

I was visiting a local piano dealer yesterday to try out some Avantgrands and Clavinovas. I played the opening four measures or so of the slow movements of some Beethoven Sonatas on two models. Then I told the salesman that was considering getting a hybrid so I could play anytime without annoying the neighbors. The salesman said he didn't see how I could annoy the neighbors since I played so well haha.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/18/18 11:40 AM.
Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737695
05/18/18 12:23 PM
05/18/18 12:23 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Re the recent posts about the salespeople's tendency to complement potential buyers.

I was visiting a local piano dealer yesterday to try out some Avantgrands and Clavinovas. I played the opening four measures or so of the slow movements of some Beethoven Sonatas on two models. Then I told the salesman that was considering getting a hybrid so I could play anytime without annoying the neighbors. The salesman said he didn't see how I could annoy the neighbors since I played so well haha.

Pianoloverus, in your case, my instincts tell me that you play very well, though I don't think I've ever heard you play. I would like to hear you play to confirm my theory. smile

On the other hand, my piano playing is unorthodox, primitive, simplistic and hillbillyish (don't know if that's a word or not:-). However, I do enjoy my own playing, and would like to think that others would too. But the most important thing is whether or not we enjoy our piano learning/playing experiences.

Rick

Re: Yamaha G7 Condition/Value Questions [Re: Standalone] #2737711
05/18/18 01:16 PM
05/18/18 01:16 PM
S
Standalone Offline OP
Standalone  Offline OP
S

Ha! I'm sort of a hack bass player -- it's tough sometimes to live in a home with one current professional musician (my wife) and a future one... smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thomas Young 1 temperament measured
by Hakki. 01/21/19 10:08 AM
Debussy - Arabesque No. 1
by cmb13. 01/21/19 09:11 AM
Saving to WAV or MP3 on a Kawai CA
by Garald. 01/21/19 08:26 AM
Naming convention of classical pieces
by Artur Gajewski. 01/21/19 08:16 AM
Help, pain when playing the piano!
by Hengsen10. 01/21/19 01:18 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,708
Posts2,784,307
Members92,171
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission