Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (CharlesXX, Chernobieff Piano, ChatNoir, Catlady, AWilley, anamnesis, 15 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? #2737368
05/17/18 08:28 AM
05/17/18 08:28 AM
B
BbAltered Offline OP
BbAltered  Offline OP
B
Hello. Why do composers and/or music copy editors publish music that is not possible to play?

Right now, i am looking at a copy of Eric Satie's Gymnopedia #1. On Measure 9, the written music has the RH playing an F# above middle C in the melody, held over the next 4 measures. In each of those next four measures, the written music has the player play the very same F# note as part of a LH chord. Obviously, if I am holding down a note with my RH, I cannot simultaneously sound the same note with my LH.

1) Can anyone suggest how I should play these 4 measures (meas. 9 - 12)? Hold down the F# melody with my RH, and ignore playing that F# in the LH? - sadly, the F# in the LH chords are the sounding (top-most) note in all those chords, meaning it radically changes the sound of the chord when not played.

2) Why do these kinds of things appear in written music? Surely, both the composer and the music copy editor who prepares the printing of the music must know that it is not physically possible to strike a held note multiple times, yet there it is in print. Do they not review their work?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737370
05/17/18 08:41 AM
05/17/18 08:41 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Pennsylvania
It is quite possible you have sheet music with more than 1 instrument or for a singer and piano accompaniment. Then one instrument (or singer) can be holding the F# while the other instrument can be playing that same note multiple times.

Don

Current: ES8, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737371
05/17/18 08:47 AM
05/17/18 08:47 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Originally Posted by BbAltered
Hello. Why do composers and/or music copy editors publish music that is not possible to play?

Right now, i am looking at a copy of Eric Satie's Gymnopedia #1. On Measure 9, the written music has the RH playing an F# above middle C in the melody, held over the next 4 measures. In each of those next four measures, the written music has the player play the very same F# note as part of a LH chord. Obviously, if I am holding down a note with my RH, I cannot simultaneously sound the same note with my LH.

1) Can anyone suggest how I should play these 4 measures (meas. 9 - 12)? Hold down the F# melody with my RH, and ignore playing that F# in the LH? - sadly, the F# in the LH chords are the sounding (top-most) note in all those chords, meaning it radically changes the sound of the chord when not played.

2) Why do these kinds of things appear in written music? Surely, both the composer and the music copy editor who prepares the printing of the music must know that it is not physically possible to strike a held note multiple times, yet there it is in print. Do they not review their work?

Recently, someone told me that the note is not played again, as it is already being held. However, in a piano course I am taking, the instructor, in a like situation, stated the note in question is released by the hand that had been holding it, and immediately played again by the new hand that just freshly encounters it.

All of this probably makes more sense once the pedals come into play, which they haven't yet for me. I've also had a pianist/instructor state this in the different, but seemingly still relevant context of whether it is important to hold notes for the complete duration indicated on a score: "...it is correct technique in piano to not hold the notes, and rely on the sostenuto pedal to sustain the notes and the sound. In much music it is impossible to hold the notes for the indicated duration because the composers knew the pianist would be using the pedal to hold. The composers were more concerned with the sound that was created than the notation perfection. Our focus should also be to creating the right sound as well."

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/17/18 08:48 AM.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737374
05/17/18 09:01 AM
05/17/18 09:01 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
Moo :)  Offline
M
I would

Beat 1 - play the f sharp, pedal down just after
Beat 2 - play f sharp again with same (rh) hand the chord

New bar.

Beat 1 - release the bottom two notes so only f sharp there

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737376
05/17/18 09:10 AM
05/17/18 09:10 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

You're misunderstanding how music is written. Composers know exactly what they want, and write accordingly. Accompaniments often overlap with the melodies, and that's what the composer wants. Of course, he expects you to make a distinction between the same note played as part of the melody and when it's played as part of the accompaniment. The melody must always stand out above the accompaniment.

What you're seeing is something that abounds in lots of advanced (and not so advanced) piano music. The accompaniment is to be played as written, with LH. You let go of the F# with your RH just before your LH plays it again - softly - along with the rest of the chord, as part of the accompaniment.

Obviously, you hold down the sustain pedal for the duration, changing pedal with your next bass note, which is when you switch back to hold down that F# with RH again (without re-striking) to ensure that you can still hear it through the pedal change.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: bennevis] #2737380
05/17/18 09:26 AM
05/17/18 09:26 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
Obviously, you hold down the sustain pedal for the duration, changing pedal with your next bass note, which is when you switch back to hold down that F# with RH again (without re-striking) to ensure that you can still hear it through the pedal change.

Sustain pedal? Or sostenuto pedal? That pianist/instructor that was talking to me seemed to imply this is done with the sostenuto pedal which sustains only those notes being held down when that pedal is depressed, allowing future notes played to be unaffected.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2737385
05/17/18 09:44 AM
05/17/18 09:44 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by Slothrop, Tyrone

Sustain pedal? Or sostenuto pedal? That pianist/instructor that was talking to me seemed to imply this is done with the sostenuto pedal which sustains only those notes being held down when that pedal is depressed, allowing future notes played to be unaffected.

No, sustain pedal.

You can't do legato pedaling with the sostenuto pedal alone, unless you combine it with the sustain pedal, involving a lot of careful foot & ankle gymnastics (and that's assuming your piano can handle it). And you don't want to break the bass line.

When you change pedal with a quick up-and-down flick, the previous notes are cleared as long as you're not still holding them down with your fingers. A little blurring of harmonies is part & parcel of music like this, because of the way the melody goes, and is exactly what the composer expects.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737412
05/17/18 11:23 AM
05/17/18 11:23 AM
B
BbAltered Offline OP
BbAltered  Offline OP
B
For me, it is unsatisfactory to hold down the sustain pedal over 4 measures while the LH plays lo-register bass note, mid-register chord, lo-register bass note, mid-register chord, repeatedly: this will only create a sonic mud.

The way the passage is presented in the written music is RH F# (held for 4 meas.) and LH lo-lo G on beat one, and on beat two LH plays b-d-f# chord. So according to the written music, that RH F# that is supposed to sustain for 4 measures is immediately cut off by the LH playing the same note. So it seems equally unworkable to repeatedly play the F# with each hand while working the sustain pedal so the F# sounds like one long note.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737414
05/17/18 11:40 AM
05/17/18 11:40 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
bennevis didn't say you should hold the pedal over four measures. With each bass note, you quickly lift and press the pedal again, so it's held only for one measure each, not for all four.
While you lift/press the pedal, you hold the F# with the RH, so that it isn't cut off. Then you can release it again with the RH (it's now held by the pedal), and make place for the LH to play it with the chord. When the chord was played, but before you release it, you take over the F# with the RH again (without releasing and re-depressing the key!). Then the LH can release the chord (also now held by the pedal) to go down to play the next bass note. At the same time the RH still holds the F# down, so that when you do the pedal lift/press for the bass note, the F# remains sustained.
That way, the F# remains sustained over the full 4 measures, while at the same time, it is *also* played again and again as part of the LH chord.
Think of it like this: The F# string is struck and begins vibrating when the RH plays it at the very beginning, and then it is never damped (stopped vibrating) over the whole four measures, it is only *restruck* several times by the LH chords. That's the effect that Satie wanted when he wrote it like this.

Last edited by JoBert; 05/17/18 11:45 AM.
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737431
05/17/18 12:59 PM
05/17/18 12:59 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
I came across the same issue in my study of Bach 974, measure 30, the G on the R hand is held, then played with the L. I have been releasing with the R just before pressing with the L, then changing back to the R without releasing. Is it okay to cheat and just release and press with the R? I guess the risk is that of a change in dynamics between the L hand section and that one note.

Thoughts, Jobert / Bennevis?

http://ekladata.com/p_8g34jH6ZMqjn44nwzUgpXj7I4/BWV_974_-_Adagio_.pdf

ps don't mean to hijack but it's the exact same issue...

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
Chopin Sonata 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737449
05/17/18 02:07 PM
05/17/18 02:07 PM
B
BbAltered Offline OP
BbAltered  Offline OP
B
OK. So if I understand correctly, I am supposed to play the F# with the RH and make it sound, then play the same note with the LH without cutting off the note decay, then use my RH to hold the note without making it sound and without cutting off the decay, then play the same note again with my LH to make it sound but without cutting of the decay, then again use my RH to hold the note again without sounding the note or cutting of the decay, and repeat the switching hands to play/hold the note two more times. Pure fluster-cuck.

I now understand why I have never felt motivated to properly play this piece beyond the first few measures.

And back to my original question: why does the printed sheet music omit so much of this critical playing information? The printed sheet music has no pedal indications, no instructions to hold the note without making it sound, etc. Sure, the printing the page this way is easier for the publisher, and of course a giant PITA for the person who trying to read the printed page. When I buy sheet music, I expect the sheet music to be an accurate reflection of the performance or sound of the music.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: bennevis] #2737454
05/17/18 02:11 PM
05/17/18 02:11 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
No, sustain pedal.

You can't do legato pedaling with the sostenuto pedal alone, unless you combine it with the sustain pedal, involving a lot of careful foot & ankle gymnastics (and that's assuming your piano can handle it). And you don't want to break the bass line.

When you change pedal with a quick up-and-down flick, the previous notes are cleared as long as you're not still holding them down with your fingers. A little blurring of harmonies is part & parcel of music like this, because of the way the melody goes, and is exactly what the composer expects.

Could this be a place to do the half-pedalling, which is discussed HERE?

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737456
05/17/18 02:17 PM
05/17/18 02:17 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
OK. So if I understand correctly, I am supposed to play the F# with the RH and make it sound, then play the same note with the LH without cutting off the note decay, then use my RH to hold the note without making it sound and without cutting off the decay, then play the same note again with my LH to make it sound but without cutting of the decay, then again use my RH to hold the note again without sounding the note or cutting of the decay, and repeat the switching hands to play/hold the note two more times

HERE is some specific pedaling advice for the various measures of this particular Satie piece from an old forum discussion.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: cmb13] #2737464
05/17/18 02:42 PM
05/17/18 02:42 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
Originally Posted by cmb13
I came across the same issue in my study of Bach 974, measure 30, the G on the R hand is held, then played with the L. I have been releasing with the R just before pressing with the L, then changing back to the R without releasing. Is it okay to cheat and just release and press with the R? I guess the risk is that of a change in dynamics between the L hand section and that one note.

It doesn't matter how something is achieved as long as the effect is what the composer intended. If you can achieve what you want with the same hand, why not?

Though most pianists would find it easier and more logical to use different hands for the same note to distinguish between two different lines or between melody and accompaniment.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737467
05/17/18 02:50 PM
05/17/18 02:50 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

And back to my original question: why does the printed sheet music omit so much of this critical playing information? The printed sheet music has no pedal indications, no instructions to hold the note without making it sound, etc. Sure, the printing the page this way is easier for the publisher, and of course a giant PITA for the person who trying to read the printed page. When I buy sheet music, I expect the sheet music to be an accurate reflection of the performance or sound of the music.

Composers generally assume the performer knows what to do, unless he's writing something for pedagogical purposes. But this is not a piece for a beginner.

Satie didn't write any specific pedal instructions for the piece, as far as I know (though I haven't seen the Urtext score, only the first page I found on a Google search).

If you want a score with lots of pedal markings and written-down instructions as to what to do at every point etc, I don't doubt that you can pay bug bucks for an edition where the editor/annotator has left nothing to chance for the performer.......

Incidentally, I've never seen the score until I read this thread, and I still haven't tried to play it myself wink .

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2737472
05/17/18 02:57 PM
05/17/18 02:57 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
No, sustain pedal.

Could this be a place to do the half-pedalling, which is discussed HERE?

Sure, but would you want to? I don't think Satie wants a crystal-clear effect.

This piece is supposed to sound like a dreamy, antiquated slow dance.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737478
05/17/18 03:08 PM
05/17/18 03:08 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
Here is a video by a piano teacher on how to do finger swapping on this Satie piece (the finger swapping discussion and demo starts at 4:48):

Last edited by Slothrop, Tyrone; 05/17/18 03:09 PM.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: cmb13] #2737479
05/17/18 03:12 PM
05/17/18 03:12 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
Originally Posted by cmb13

Of course you can do that, if it works for you.
Personally, no, I would not play the G with the RH. The LH has these four slowly ascending slurred higher/lower note pairs, of which the G is the higher one of the last pair. For me, playing that single note with the other hand would totally break the rhythm (not necessarily literally, but more how it feels). I would play it like you described.

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: BbAltered] #2737484
05/17/18 03:16 PM
05/17/18 03:16 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline
BTW, after reading the discussion above and watching this teacher's video on what to do, I feel ready to try Gymnopedia No. 1 myself, and I am a complete newbie! (These could be "famous last words". LOL.) The only thing that gives me some pause is the pedaling. I don't feel like I should learn how to pedal for the very first time on a piece like this. I feel as if I should find some online pedaling exercises first to try out pedaling "in a safe & controlled environment" laugh .

Re: The Sheet Music Shows a Held Note Struck Multiple Times? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2737488
05/17/18 03:22 PM
05/17/18 03:22 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B
I feel as if I should find some online pedaling exercises first to try out pedaling "in a safe & controlled environment" laugh .

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_d8oask2VU

Legato pedaling is something that all pianists need to master sooner or later.

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingerless Gloves?
by MacMorrighan. 09/19/18 11:14 PM
Kawai CP vs Yamaha CVP vs Roland GP 609
by G4Jazz. 09/19/18 10:44 PM
An absolute bargain
by David-G. 09/19/18 08:19 PM
Eighth notes
by Progman. 09/19/18 05:31 PM
Maybe she's right
by squidbot. 09/19/18 01:24 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,381
Posts2,746,707
Members91,045
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission