2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
94. MikeM - Chopin 25 1

Very smooth, very enjoyable. There seem to be two distinct ways of thinking about this piece. It can be viewed as a constant stream of notes, some of which are accented, or as a melody interspersed with rapid note groups. The second produces more rhythmic freedom but the first, your way, is more usual, perhaps more correct, and possibly a better study. In any case, I cannot get it as smooth as you do, especially in those final, wispy arpeggios. Well done.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Ted
94. MikeM - Chopin 25 1

Very smooth, very enjoyable. There seem to be two distinct ways of thinking about this piece. It can be viewed as a constant stream of notes, some of which are accented, or as a melody interspersed with rapid note groups. The second produces more rhythmic freedom but the first, your way, is more usual, perhaps more correct, and possibly a better study. In any case, I cannot get it as smooth as you do, especially in those final, wispy arpeggios. Well done.

Hmm, an interesting thought. I’m not sure I entirely understand and/or agree with it though. You see, if I’m understanding you correctly I think the piece has to be a combination of both lines of thought. The piece is by it’s very nature a constant stream of notes with certain ones accented, but accented and layered so skillfully as to create the impression of multiple layers and lines (a bassline, a melody, an ethereal accompaniment in the form of a harmonic mesh created from all the moving notes, and from time to time counterlines that provide commentary and interest). How successfully one balances these layers determines for me the overall success of the piece.

Unfortunately, moreso because I waited until the night before to prepare the piece for recording (I’d spent the last two weeks trying to resurrect Liszt TE No. 10, which didn’t work out.) I don’t really feel I gave the piece quite enough time to get where it needed to go as far as successfully balancing all the features.

Nonetheless, I’m really glad I had this piece on hand from being a bit of a warmup piece, and that it could contribute in it’s unpolished state to the really fun and awesome number of 100 participants for this very grand 50th recital which I think is certainly something to celebrate.

I thank you all for your kind words. Cheers!

Last edited by MikeN; 05/16/18 01:03 AM.
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 The Prelude is a long-time favourite; the accompanying Fugue provided a contrast which highlighted the intricacies of both pieces. Very well done!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) I think pure improvisation would be an exercise in pure hopelessness for me - it would probably lead the audience to reach for earplugs! That was fascinating, your performance really captures the magical essence of the piano.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) I watched the video link first, and became rather confused - but I enjoyed your Bach. Nicely played!

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Too many rough bits, and I couldn’t even spell ‘i Giorni’ in the ‘Additional Info’ - as always, room for improvement smile.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye A truly lovely original piece. Thank you jazztpt!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 I love this joyful sonatina. It is definitely one to get your fingers moving. It sounds like you have a great start on it. I like your balance between the hands, with a nicely subdued accompaniment. It sounds like you have the first two movements well in hand.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) Very nicely projected melody over the busy accompaniment. I like the tempo that you chose for the piece. You brought out the gentle spirit of this piece well.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres You did a lovely job of capturing Debussy’s impressionism. I love the gentle touch that you give this piece. Beautifully played!

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill How fun! This is quite a jaunty composition. You had my toe tapping. Great job!

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido I love this piece. I played it several years ago, and it has been on my revisit list for a long time. You did a lovely job with it, keeping it tranquil, with just a hint of tension. Great job on the polyrhythms.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 I have not heard this Schumann piece before. I agree with you vision of a peaceful evening overlooking the landscape. Your playing created that mood.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing I love the mysterious beginning and ending, and the searching emotion of the piece. It really fits the video. I like the overlay of the landscape and moonscape with the playing. Footsteps on the moon! Cool! Wonderful composition, beautifully played!

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande It is amazing how nervous that little red dot can make a person! You did a very nice job of moving this gentle piece along with a singing melody and subdued accompaniment. Nicely done!

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) What a wonderful duet! You both seem so in sync, trading the lead back and forth seamlessly. Gorgeous soft jazz. Loved it!

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 I love this gentle SWOW, You play it with nice expression bring out its quiet emotion. Nice use of the dynamic range.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) Wonderful performance! You imbue the power this piece calls for, as well as the pensiveness inherent in the middle section. Gorgeous!

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) This is such a powerful piece. That is a lot of octave work! I have only seen Game of Thrones a couple of times, but I too fell in love with the theme song. You do a nice job bringing out the inner voices in the second section, and I love the light touch in the closing section. This seems like a pretty ambitious piece. Well done!

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) Good job on this difficult piece especially for having just one year of experience. Keep up the great work.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance Excellent job on this. Not only excellent playing but the recording and piano sound terriric too. I love the way you balance the harmonies. Beautiful!

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 What do you mean "so here goes nothing." I thought this was a wondeful performance. I really liked your interpretation and use of rubato - and your playfulness. Keep up the great work.

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 Nice execution of ornaments. I also like that you honored the style and used barely any pedal if any at all. Great playing. Love the clarity of your touch.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels This was an absolute pleasure to listen to. Loved this in all ways! Keep up the great work.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 You played this quite well. My only suggestion is to utilize more dynamics i.e., switching from piano to forte and vice-versa on certain passages (subito piano to subito forte, etc.). I find this to be very effecitve for Bach prelude and fugues. Keep up the great work.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) Very interesting improvisation. I would love to hear the sections that led up to this.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) Good job on this. My only suggestion is to utilize dynamics more. Switching between dynamics for different phrases can really help to keep the audience engaged especially when it comes to Bach. Sudden shifts between piano and forte (for example) can help as well as implementing different dynamics for each hand (forte for the left, piano for the right - for example).

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete I love the way you play this. Love your touch. Great job!

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye Wonderful! This work came across like a breath of fresh air ;-). I hope you don't mind me saying I hear hints of Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett? Wonderful composition and playing!

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" Excellent work! I loved the way you played this.

100. Glen R. - Duet for One Lovely little piece and you play it so well. I really enjoyed this work and your touch. Keep up the great work.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 “Raindrop" A superb rendition of a superb composition on a superb Bosendorfer. What a treat!

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 Just beautiful, a performance full of emotion.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 (I don’t do ‘perfect’, I do ‘works-in-progress’ too.) And this is THE place to take stock, and show how far you’ve travelled in your piano journey. With that lovely delicate touch, you’ve come a long way.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) You certainly demonstrated good control in voicing and the left hand. I’m glad you decided on this impressive piece and presented us with something very special. Thank you!

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres I’d never heard this before, and I found it delightful. You have every reason to be happy with your performance!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
This is a momentous recital. It's so great to see the return of some familiar names in the list, especially Mr. Super-Hunky, who initiated these recitals, and the addition of new names, some already known in the PW community and some from further afield.

Kudos to Monica and Sam who've put extra time into this one and thanks to the team who sent out the remider PMs in support.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3
This is absolutely beautiful, Ellen. I'm listening repeatedly despite 99 alternatives! The swell and fall in M7-8 is gorgeous.

You have taken the accented chords in M21 as piano on both occasions so it looks like an artistic choice, perhaps an echo effect, I think it detracts a little from the piano that follows in M23 but that's just an opinion.

I know you're working on the pedal and that may be why in the main figure of the piece, the first (principal) note in M3, marked staccato, is coming out legato in some of the repeats. It's fine in M20 and similar but it's more noticeable in M43-44 and the coda where the dynamics are softer and a little more air may be needed.

Really great job, though, a very compelling performance. I'm inspired to go back to this piece myself.

Richard
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp" (to do)

That was great! Enjoyed watching the video.

93. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Hungarian Mood

That was excellent Ralph. I enjoyed listening and following along with the music. Can't say I would call it an easy piece though.

92. Mr Super-Hunky - Old and Wise

Welcome back, sorry to hear about the accident. Great composition and playing. That's something I'd put on a playlist and listen to again.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is a lot to listen to, so for now just the first ones

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt)

I'm in awe of being able to play something like this after only a year.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance

So beautiful.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18

I would love to be able to play some Chopin. Your rendition of this piece is encouraging me to give it a go soon. It seems so much fun

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2

I had only vaguely heard of this composer before. Really enjoyed listening to this piece

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels (to do)

I only ever heard of Einaudi after joining Piano world. This is an evocative piece and I really enjoyed it.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846

I started to look at the Prelude about 2 weeks ago, so its great to hear how someone with more experience plays it. As for the Fugue, you brought back memories of my father playing this about 60 years ago, when he first bought our new piano. Since then the piano has passed through my hands (unplayed by me - but used by my daughter to learn) and currently resides at my daughters house awaiting my 3 month old grandson to start taking piano lessons!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60)

I wish I could do what you do. I have tried but get out of ideas pretty quickly.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)

I'm trying to learn Bach's Invention No 8 and discovering just how hard it is to get the two hands to work at the same time. I'm am glad to get the opportunity to listen to this and know that it can be done.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete (to do)

As I said above, I hadn't heard of Einaudi before coming to this forum. This is another lovely piece. Thanks for bringing it to me.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye

Really enjoyed this performance and the composition.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"

I've not listened to this Prelude closely before. I enjoyed your "drone" (along with the rest of the piece)

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13

Its great to hear what someone with more experience than me makes of this. Your C section (bars 37 to 50) sound so much cleaner than mine. Similarly your ending.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3

Lovely lyrical quality to this and an impressive restart to your playing considering the limited time you've had with it.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres

I didn't know the piece, but enjoyed it.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
5. BSharpcyclist- Nicely done Dan. I have to say, I've been working on a number of Einaudi pieces and I'm beginning to see the attraction. For me it's not so much the listening as it is the playing. They are just fun. That said, I enjoyed listening (and watching) very much.

7. Ted- Wow Ted, thanks for joining the recital. I'm not sure we have ever had such a free form improv here before. Very enjoyable listen. And quite the trip.....

09. MarieJ- I enjoyed Monica's playing of this very much but you have added your own touch and it's delightful.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
11. SwissMs – Raindrop Prelude I have always loved this piece since I had first played it in my piano lessons as a child. Concerning the background information, I once heard in a TV feature about Chopin’s Majorca journey that he had already finished this prelude in Paris before he and Sand left for Majorca. Yes, the weather was really terrible there. I bet you are more lucky at the Costa del Sol…

17. cmb13 – Liszt, Consolation #3 Wonderfully played. Mistakes? Where? Yes, there is some similarity to Chopin’s 27/2 nocturne in the same key signature. It seems Liszt had been inspired by that.

18. JoBert – Abendmusik (Schumann) A beautiful, calm romantic piece, very well played. Well, the problem with this piece is that it requires a dynamical difference between parts in p and such in pp while making small crescendi and decrescendi in this small range of dynamics. That was hardly playable on instruments of the time. It still is difficult today, even on a high-end “hybrid” DP.

28. CasinItaly – Chopin Waltz A minor Only one take? Perfect! A wonderful melancholy rendition of this great piece I enjoy very much.

33. Ralph L. – Ballade pour Adeline Wow, terrific, after only 16 months. Richard Clayderman would be proud of you.

39. Claudemir Medeiros – Chopin Waltz A minor Fantastic after just 1.4 years. I like your precise playing of this wonderful little gem by Chopin.

45. sinophilia – Von fremden Laendern und Menschen (Schumann) Gorgeous. And a single take only! Congratulations.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) – Moment Musical No. 3 (Schubert) Those double thirds are beautiful, as is the whole piece. Schubert is fantastic, indeed, so enjoy the Impromptu and the Fantasy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Skipping around more - now from the center of the 100 submissions:

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe? Now that's interesting - certainly not boring. I would not call it baroque - a definite melody and accompaniment. I liked the slight tempo change. The odd sound seems to fit too. Thanks for sharing!

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 Outstanding!

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4 So cool - loved your gesture of satisfaction when you finished it!

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice Full disclosure - Tootles is my wife and I am her teacher - excellent!

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 Way more difficult than it sounds - we all play it at some point in our piano journey. Excellent!

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1 Wonderful touch! You bring out the wonder in this piece.

46. Roger Ransom - Stardust I feel like I am in the piano bar!

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3 Well done - love that Cunningham grand too!

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor I played this one - long ago. I think you have a much better tempo that I did - a very nice rhythmic waltz feel. Excellent!

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen I've heard the song, but not the transcription. Lovely!

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 So glad to put a title with this piece - I've heard it but never got the name or composer. Excellent playing!

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major Very good! The teacher in me wants you to play some notes shorter - when you drop down with the right hand thumb, try it staccato. And a steady tempo is more in the baroque style - every section at the same speed.

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6 Another one we all play at some point. Excellent! Loved the soft LH, and the dynamic changes.

53. FrankieC - Reverie Wonderful, so moving! Submit it to the Debussy recital next month!

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano Finally, someone with an older piano than my 1927 C. Bechstein. Sounds great! Love the rhythm and harmonies of this piece.

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart Hi Nancy! I'm so impressed that you were able to play and record this with no preparation. My piano sounds better when you play it. Excellent!

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour OK, at first I thought the slide show went with the music, but then there were cars and girls in bikinis! Loved the music, and your playing! Do you look at sheet music on that big screen too?

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List Very touching!

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466 Very well done - Scarlatti is more difficult than it looks. Loved the ornaments too!

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement Excellent Elaine! I bet the earlier takes were great too. I am struggling with a Beethoven sonata now too...

More to come!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Batch #3 (random sequence):

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land"

You obviously have loads of talent to be able to play this well after such a short time. To me this charming little piece is basically a song without words, and you might find it helpful to think in terms of vocal phrasing -- how would you sing it?

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466

Very enjoyable! I think you've done well with making the piece expressive without, as you say, romanticizing it too much. It's tough to keep a steady left-hand rhythm in those transitions into and out of the 3-against-2 passages; maybe do some practice away from the keyboard, just drumming on a table or whatever. (I should do more of that kind of practice myself!)

90. Whizbang (Chris) - Pastime Rag #2

Thank you for introducing me to this composer. I think this wide-ranging rag has a wonderfully orchestral character, which you bring out beautifully.

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano

I find the Preludio most successful toward the end, where you seem to relax and play with more freedom. You sustain that all throug the Capriccio, great musicality and very enjoyable.

53. FrankieC - Reverie

Gorgeous! Lovely coloring, although, sometimes I find the pedal too heavy (at the opening, and other similarly declarative sections). But that is a minor quibble for what is an excellent performance.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Next batch, starting at the end this time.

91. Bach to the Future - "Norse Song", Album of the Youth Really enjoyed, I love these Album for the Young pieces.

92. Mr Super-Hunky - Old and Wise Glad you have made it back to the piano, this was indeed Super!

93. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Hungarian Mood Great job with the grace notes!

94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp" Quite impressive, love this piece.

95. Pathbreaker - Prelude in E Major A beautiful prelude, you brought a wonderful expressive tone.

96. Venu V - Sonata in D Minor K 34 Great job with this, good luck with your exam.

97. Julie G. - You are my love (from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles) A really pretty piece, different from what I expected (in my ignorance of anime), well played.

98. stambler / Dave - Miss Wardlaw's Favorite I really enjoyed this sweet piece. And --- may I "borrow" your comment " This piece isn't polished yet, but at least there is no major train wreck." This basically defines most of my recital submisssions. smile

99. micael K - Ronda alla turca Definitely fun - goal achieved!

100. Glen R. - Duet for One This piece is full of mystery and secrets. Piano sounds great.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 Very nicely played. I liked the way you balanced the voices and the way you articulated your phrasing. Great job!

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 Hey! I live in TN too ;-). Who cares about being perfect! If you want perfect, listen to a computer ;-). All kidding aside, nice job on this. I believe you are so close to having some of the more difficult passages worked out. With a little more work I think you will have this down. May I suggest, if you are not doing it already, to set the metronome to a slow enough tempo to where you can play the more difficult passages flawlessly in time (proportionally) to the rest of the work. Once you can play through the entire piece flawlessly at that tempo, increase the tempo ever so slightly. Keep doing this until you can play all of the passages up to tempo. Apologies if you are already doing this. I find this helps me and it seems to be the only way for me to progress as efficiently as possible. And it takes me a while some times but I do my best to persevere. Keep up the great work!

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) Welcome back to the piano. It must feel great to be back. There's a lot to this work. The phrasing and ornaments can be tricky even for those who have not taken a break. I'm sure it will come together even more as time progresses. Keep up the great work and don't forget to have fun with it ;-).

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres I have never heard this work before and I really liked the way you played it. I like the way you balanced the harmonies. It was an enjoyable performance for me. Thanks for playing this.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill What a fun composition and I liked the way you played it. I loved this. Thanks for sharing your composition with us.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido Only 4.5 years of experience and you play like this? Nice work on this. I liked everything about your performance. Keep up the great work.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 Beautiful! That's all I can say. Just beautiful. I think I will go out to my porch with a glass of wine and raise it to your wonderful performance ;-).

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing Awesome! I liked the spacey yet rhythmic feel of this composition. Wonderful composition and playing. Thanks for sharing your composition with us.

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande You have only been playing for 1.5 years and you play like this? What an accomplishment. Nice job on this. I loved everything about it.

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" Very beautifully played, a wonderful piece. As a side note, I appreciated the quote containing the word "lugubrious", one of my favorites that doesn't get to come out to play very often.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 Oh, a favorite piece, I get a little teary at the beginning. Wonderfully played.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 Really enjoyed listening to your light touch on this fun sonatina.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) Beautiful, all your hard work paid off on this.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres Oh, this is just lovely. Beautifully played.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill Great composition! I didn't find this "mill" troublesome at all, at least it didn't throw me off as others have done. smile

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido What a gorgeous piece, your playing was sensitive and emotive, very nice.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 Your playing is wonderful, I wasn't familiar with this piece, but love Schumann. Really enjoyed this one.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing Cool! Those piercing starting notes, communications from "beyond"!

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande Oh how I love Bach, you did a wonderful job with this, shaky hands and all.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
next 15 or so ....
14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) WOW this is impressive, and the although the tempo was a tad slow it sounded great! Impressive piano playing! And recording.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres nice running melody that seems eternal ,chime-like... dainty. Good Playing

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill Sounds like a hit! Cool original

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido Good authentic piano sound and melodic playing, enjoyed the listen.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 nice realcxing piano piece and well played.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing Sounds like a movie theme , well played. Enjoed the listen

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande nice slow steady tempo, maybe needs morer dynamic variance, enjoyed the listen . (I never heard this piece before)

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) why ‘s it sound like danny boy to me? Charming piece. Exact clarinet playing. Iguess this could work in a jazz bar. A little more jazz chords…maybe. Or Backdrop of “The fugitive” an old TV show special .

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 nice piece , somber ,a bit.. anddelicatly emotively moving. a

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)  WOW  seriously, really well played. Nice recording. - superb impressively played dynamics and touch, -and acoustic piano sound . )

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) Quite a dramatic moving piece,. Well played and enjoyed the listen.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro CHamring piece, lovely playing , the ocrds were dynamic and the accents went well with the emotive aspect of the piece.

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 Great authetic piano sound. Well played. Enjoyed the listen. There was a cricket sounding interference in the recording. But still well done …

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 I Love Bach No matter what ,, but Nice steady tempo and playing , enjoyed the listen ing.

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) Nice steady touch and playing, delicate at times. Enjoyed the piece. This would seem to bo a hard piece without a slight accompaniment of strings .

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" Well played piece. 

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now Vigorous? playing,,, and piano sound. Quite [fast] moving piece.

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green beautiful playing,,, Enjoyed the listen

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton) Nicely played enjoyable to listen. Delicate touch when needed makeink the dynamics effective for this piece. .

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline Really nicely done it was a charm to add the percussion and string backdrop accompaniment. Enjoyed the listen.

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I beautiful effective dynamics. Enjoyed the listen- honestly this would seem a very difficult piece and you played this excelently! .

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light –me- I really need to practice more-

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
What a recital!

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) Welcome to the forum and to the ABF Recitals. I hope you continue with us as it is nice to see others' progress. I cannot critique your performance as the piece you chose if far beyond my technical abilities. I encourage you to consider the value of playing/practicing/learning from more level appropriate repertoire. I have only been playing for 3 years, and have benefited immensely from the time I spent on simple level 1 and level 2 pieces. They have much to teach in terms of getting an effective foundation for future development. Given your aspiration for great achievement in piano, building a great foundation might be the most beneficial focal point.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance What a lovely performance! Like you, I also prefer the less showy pieces by Liszt. Very well done!

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 I was admiring your control of dynamics when suddenly came that descending cascade of grace notes. I don't know how you kept your fingers connected to your hands. That seemed quite a feat! You played very well.

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 For me, playing and listening are very similar, more enjoyable if I can anticipate where the music is going. This piece seemed very complicated and difficult to anticipate, making the playing all the more difficult. I commend you for taking on such a piece. You played well.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels Well done! I wonder how the title connects to the piece. My mind associates High Heels with a provocative and stimulating sensation, rather than the calm and peacefulness this piece serves up. Your playing fostered that tranquility.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 As a listener, I have not yet become attracted to pieces like this Prelude, perhaps because I believe, perhaps wrongly, that their value is mostly as practice fodder. The fugue is much different, with melody and themes. It was more entertaining for me.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) I admire those whose proficiency has advanced to the point that they can play an idea as the idea develops. I hope to one day be able to improvise.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) That sounded like a very difficult piece. I learned from listening. For some reason, I thought Minuets were in a variation of 3 beat time, but, while listening I heard 4 beat. So, I looked the piece up in IMSLP and it was in 4 beat time.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete I am not an Einaudi fan, but, I really enjoyed listening to you play this. I couldn't begin to tell where the “still rough bits” were. If they existed, they did not detract from the lovely listening experience you created.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye Excellence is always nice to listen to. You are very good with the piano. I'm glad you joined in this recital.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" I don't know this piece as it will be years before I might be able to attempt it. But, the dark, ominous section is memorable, and the only part that I recognized. I think you did well drawing out the tension embedded in that portion of the piece. It is at once discomforting, and, enjoyable. Those were some very interesting stories about its origin. I wonder how the sweet melody at the beginning and end fit into those accounts.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 This is a beautiful piece of music and you did it justice. I enjoyed listening to you play.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 Opus 36 has so much fun music! Welcome back to the piano and to the ABF recitals.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I got some more time to listen, so....

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) This was very nice. I was caught off guard by the staccato descent at 27 seconds. It seemed to repeat at 1:00. Of the two, I found the second more pleasing, more in line with the “cantibile” denomination. I enjoyed your playing.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres I don't hear much Debussy as his music is beyond my playing capability. So, I'm glad you played this. It is nice, more melodic than I had anticipated, and I think you played well.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill What a stunner! And, what a joy to hear your personality in your music! I'm grateful to the treadmill for inspiring you so! Very well done! Now, get back on that treadmill, or maybe the bicycle, the next recital will be on us in no time! BTW, there is a 13yo or so kid about 30 feet from me dancing wildly in perfect time to your piece. But, I'm listening through headphones! You are more influential than you know! I'm going to listen again.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido I think you played this very well. Melancholy dancing with optimism. Nicely done. I'm unsure about the crinkling fiberglass, percussive element added at 2:05. Only a Corvette guy would think of that! laugh

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 This was very enjoyable. I don't get the same imagery from it as you do. But, I enjoyed it. I don't get to listen to as many of the 40 Pieces postings as I would like, but, yours always get a listen from me. Well done!

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing This really kept me on edge, waiting for the next of those abrupt, left hand silences. It seemed a mix of pleasantness and danger. Nice work!

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande Your hands were probably shaking because you knew you were about to wrap up a gem of a performance. I thought you played this very well. Very steady. Glad you survived!

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) How nice! Accompaniment is coming to you well! I could feel the fun of it!

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 That is the first time I have heard this. It was nice, and well played! Good luck with the charity performance!

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) This is one of those that I just have to like because the performance is so good. I'm not a fan of the piece, but, it was nice hearing you play it so well. I have no idea what you could have improved on.

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) I am hard pressed to imagine how 50 seconds faster could make this better, especially the lovely melody. This was a nice performance.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro Very well done! I just downloaded a score of this piece about 2 weeks ago. It is on my to do list.

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 The crickets are cool! I have no constructive criticism, other than, it was nice to hear you play. And, nice to hear some more Debussy.

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 I have only recently become aware of the amount of lovely music for piano that started out as music for voice. Like the others, this one is very nice. Well done.

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) Wow, that was very nice. I can see/hear why you love this one! It's nice that you are painting. I was intrigued by the one with the path, as, I look at art as being communicative. When the artist includes something (like a path) to direct my eyes to something, that is where I tend to go. I enjoyed the video and your playing.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
C
C
Thank you. Nice that you've liked. I'm working hard to get better. Do you remember something that I can improve in this piece?

Started learning on December 2016.

Nowadays studying classical plus pop music.

My Youtube channel
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission