2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ElaineAllegro
Experience:6 years (!) w/current amazing piano teacher; 4 years previously as adult; 8 years as child but...
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/59LcVkCXGO4
Title of piece:Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:05:16
Source of music:Henle edition
Instrument used:Steingraeber-Phoenix A170S grand piano with carbon fiber soundboard, built in 2010
Recording method:Zoom Q2HD, then trimmed the ends in Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I feel very drawn to this sonata: first learned it as a technique-less teen; again as adult with previous teacher; now trying yet again but still not able to make it sound the way I imagine it. Working on 1st movement now and perhaps in the next 20 or so years it will all come together.

Re the notes that fell on the floor: two were intentionally dropped because my RH doesn't stretch that far, but the others just fell of their own accord.

Although I dressed up for the first two hours of takes, the one I'm submitting is from later in the day, when I had sort of given up on getting a good recording. This take had the highest % of somewhat satisfying moments. (This was a great learning experience, and I hope I made some improvements after listening to all the recordings. I should make myself record more often.)

Much appreciation to Monica for managing the recitals, SamS and MarieJ for reaching out to former ABF recital-ers on the occasion of the 50th(!), and to everyone who keeps the ABF and the recitals alive with your contributions. Back to lurking on the forum...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Pavel.K
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/pavel-k/
Title of piece:Mignon Op.68 No.35
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:03:55
Source of music:Memorized from a sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-7F + Pianoteq
Additional info:I have recorded this piece few days ago for my deposit in soundcloud while accidentally I have found that there is an anniversary recital. And accidentally this piece has never been performed here before. So here is my submission. I hope you will like it :-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Keselo
Experience:1 Year and 4 Months
Title of piece:Quasi Adagio
Composer:Bela Bartok
Duration:00:59
Source of music:For Children, Volume 1 (Based on Hungarian Folk Tunes), No. 3. Published by Boosey & Hawkes.
Instrument used:Steinbeck 130 Upright
Recording method:Two microphones connected to a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, audio captured through Audacity.
Additional info:This piece has stuck with me ever since I first heard it, when I'd just been playing for 2 months. I learned it then, but was limited by being very inexperienced.

Now, over a year later, I'm still inexperienced but experienced enough to do this beautiful piece at least partly justice. There are, as is inevitable, parts I'd like to have played better, but it is what it is.

It's very melancholic, which is not very Bartokesque. I'm also happy that my favourite composer gets represented in the Recital, especially with this being such a milestone edition. The melodies and harmonies are very conservative, which should make it easier to listen to than most of his other material.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:3
Home page link:http://www.prayinghorse.com
Title of piece:Sonata in D Minor K 32
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:02:08
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized
Instrument used:Everett spinet ~ 1955
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I loved playing this piece from the start, and I'm going to love continuing to iron out the wrinkles (someday I'll get the trills consistent). Although I do tend to like a happy peppy song, a gal needs a good sad piece in her arsenal for times when you just need to lament *something*.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+
Title of piece:Time Remembered
Composer:Bill Evans
Duration:07:47
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM DR40
Additional info:"Time Remembered" has always struck me as the quintessential Bill Evans composition -- dark, sad, painful, exquisitely eloquent and beautiful. This transcription is from his final Trio period in the late 1970s. I play it more jagged and passionate than the Trio recording -- I relate to it more as a Contemporary Classical composition than a Jazz one, although he originally conceived it in conjunction with Miles Davis in the late 50s-early60s.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:More than a few years
Title of piece:Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman"
Composer:Mozart
Duration:04:46
Source of music:Mozart:Twelve Variations on "Ah Vous Dirai-Je,Maman" edited by Maurice Hinson, Alfred Masterwork Edition
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 grand piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 using Audacity
Additional info:I played the Theme and Variations 1, 5, 7 and 11. I recorded each piece separately and used Audacity to piece them together. It took so many tries that I needed to replace my batteries twice in my Zoom H2 recorder. I enjoyed playing this piece very much. I will continue working on it since there is room for improvement.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:xyzzy
Experience:1 1/2 years of lessons. I played around on the piano by ear for years but just learned to read music when I started lessons.
Title of piece:Dreamsville
Composer:Henri Mancini
Duration:02:35
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX-660 Digital Piano
Recording method:Built in recorder on the Yamaha and then converted the MID file
Additional info:As hard as I try, I have yet to perform this piece perfectly. After many tries, this is about the best I could do. Give me a few more years and I'll be able to play better.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sara_M
Experience:10 months (first 6 months on my own, started lessons with a teacher in January)
Title of piece:"For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song
Composer:Bartok
Duration:01:00
Source of music:Bela Bartok - "For Children", volume 1
Instrument used:Yamaha P115
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:The pieces in the "For Children" collection are mostly based on simple folk songs that I know from my childhood (having grown up in Hungary like Bartok). They appear simple, but when trying to play them with rich dynamics, they can be quite challenging, at least for me as a beginner.

I decided to upload a recording with less dynamic range as when I try to really emphasize phrasing, the evenness and flow of the music seem to suffer. I have a long way to go until my fingers can hit every note with the exact same force and timing that I want.

To give you an idea, this song's lyrics translated to English are: "Come out, sun, Bright sun! My little geese are freezing in the garden."

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SandTiger
Experience:Six years
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Into the Meadow
Composer:SandTiger
Duration:01:47
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Casio PX150 digital piano
Recording method:On board recording piped into Audacity for volume boost and leveling.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Spring has sprung. Into the meadow we go in C Major. Enjoy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Moo smile
Experience:14 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaWteUD9uA
Title of piece:Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:04:50
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/Lieder_ohne_Worte,_Op.53_(Mendelssohn,_Felix)
Additional info:I picked another songs without words as I've done for the last 3 recitals. The picture has not come blurred but the music is lovely. Hope you enjoy. MOO smile x

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:h8dk97
Experience:Started learning piano in Sep 2015
Title of piece:Kleine Studie
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:43
Source of music:Sheet music
Recording method:Zoom H4pro
Additional info:Still polishing this smilingly easy piece. I find it very hard to control pianissimo on my acoustic piano while it is much easier to play on digital. But I much prefer the sound of acoustic hence don't touch the digital unless I have to.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about seven years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally, or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. I have not had a piano teacher since I started the relearning process, but would like to work with one in the future. I am willing to start at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more 'proper' and thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc.. For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:https://youtu.be/RsXrQvKTu3g
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
Composer:Bach - Kempff
Duration:03:42
Source of music:Music Sheet
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Kodak Zi8 (video) and Zoom H4N (audio)
Additional info:I've missed four ABF recitals in a row which is really bad because besides sharing, I rely on them to learn new pieces and improve myself at a regular pace. This past year though I've had much difficulty finding piano time given work and personal demands, but when outo's invitation (thank you, outo!) for the 50th landed on my email inbox, I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to give the piano some attention despite my circumstances. So I tried learning a new piece a few weeks ago. Alas, at this point it simply has not yet matured in my hands, but given that it is the 50th anniversary, I thought I'd offer instead a piece I recorded in the past that I've never submitted to an ABF recital partly because that time I was a tad dissatisfied with the audio quality due to microphone positioning, and I had difficulty syncing the audio with the video. I went back to the original Zoom H4N audio and Kodak Zi8 video clips and repackaged the whole thing. I hope though it is worthy of the 50th! :-)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Davidonabus
Experience:10 when I was a kid. I took a 25-year break, and have been back at it for 1.5 years.
Title of piece:Over The Rainbow
Composer:George Shearing
Duration:02:28
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Casio AP-620 /w Pteq Std
Recording method:Pianoteq!
Additional info:I'm a big fan of this piece! Because of all the dissonance throughout the piece, it's important to make sure the melody still comes out. The majority of the practice time on this one wasn't about the notes, or the rhythms, it was the voicing. This was a great challenge for me!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JustinDAggie
Experience:Since approximately 2010
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpyA-mcIls
Title of piece:Liebestraum Number 3
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:04:39
Instrument used:Steinway L, 1967
Recording method:two condenser mics hooked to an audio interface hooked to my macbook
Additional info:I have been away from the forums for a while (piano being restored, moved to new city) so this is my first submission in a while! My steinway came back from the restoration shop last September so, if it sounds out of tune, that's because it's still settling in and needing frequent tunings.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:squidbot (Chris)
Experience:2 years on June 1
Title of piece:Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:03:14
Source of music:Sheet music. Chopin the First Book for Pianists. Edited by Willard A. Palmer. Published by Alfred
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-685
Recording method:Direct to USB, converted to MP3 with Audacity.
Additional info:I'll be performing this for a recital in June, so I have a few more weeks to work out the rough parts. Listening to it there are some tempo issues, and I'm still having trouble landing that final chord! I enjoy this piece quite a bit, it is by far the biggest challenge I've had yet playing piano. I've learned so much from it and it's also showed me the limits of what I can do so far!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:outo
Experience:7 years as an adult
Title of piece:Two Keyboard Sonatas K32 and K34
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:02:29
Source of music:Sheet music, Kenneth Gilbert edition
Instrument used:Bluthner baby grand (hasn't been tuned since May 2017)
Recording method:Olympus LS-20M, audacity to MP3
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:As well as being the 50th recital this is also my 7 year anniversary. I started playing the piano in May 2011. Domenico Scarlatti has always been among my most favorite composers and was an obvious choice for this special recital. However due to life circumstances I really had no time to prepare any of his longer sonatas. So I recorded these two that are among the shortest and easiest. I memorized them in a very short time and not quite securely enough as you can hear. But this was a good exercise in working under pressure. K32 in d minor is obviously very well known. K34 in the same key is rarely played but I think it is sweet and appropriate as a companion piece.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Kalos Piano
Experience:three years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQym5SGwqoI
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:Sarabande HWV 437 N. 4
Composer:Handel, G. F.
Duration:03:59
Source of music:there are various versions online, I kind of made a mix of different sources, here's one of the sheets I used: http://www.piano-attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Haendel_sarabande_suite-11.pdf
Instrument used:Roland FP30
Recording method:Audio recorded in MIDI via the keyboard's built-in recorder. Converted into WAV via Pianoteq and then converted into MP3 via Audacity.

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/16/18 05:02 PM. Reason: fixed link
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White
Experience:Lifetime by ear, self-teaching since the beginning of the recitals
Title of piece:This Girl's In Love With You
Composer:Burt Bacharach
Duration:01:48
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:You can tell it's really me due to the mistakes.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PhilzPiano
Experience:A few, with too many breaks
Title of piece:Andante op 453 no 32
Composer:Carl Czerny
Duration:01:09
Source of music:Sheet music from Pianist magazine no. 92
Instrument used:Kawai CA67, SK Concert grand voice
Recording method:Recorded by the piano straight to memory stick
Additional info:This is a short and relatively simple piece by Carl Czerny, who is best known for being a pupil of Beethoven and Liszt's teacher. This recital submission is significant for me because it is my first since sustaining a major hand injury. I've slowly got back into piano playing and although I can hear a little unevenness in my playing, it's a lot better than it was six months ago, so I'm optimistic for the future.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Fouyaut
Experience:3 years alone and 3 years with teachers
Home page link:http://home.scarlet.be/~tg547430/
Title of piece:Sonata K332 - Allegro
Composer:Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Duration:04:43
Source of music:Mozart Sonatas volume 2 (Wiener edition)
Instrument used:Yamaha U3
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:A few weeks ago, I received a MP from MarieJ inviting me to share a piece of music for the 50th recital.
I'm not as active on the forum as I used to, but I decided to take this opportunity to work on one of my weaknesses : to play an entire piece in front of the recorder without any major gap or very wrong note. Usually when I record myself, after 3-4 minutes, I tend to fear to waste a good take and consequentially... to waste it with a big mistake. But I don't practice to overcome it because then I use an editing software to mix the best takes for each part... ! I somehow managed to do a one-take performance this afternoon (you can still hear there are more and more mistakes as the end approaches). Here is the result for a piece just below the 5 minutes limit : the 1st movement of Mozart's 12th sonata in F major.

I began working on this piece end february, my teacher wanted me to work on my first Mozart sonata, so we chose this one, because among those I liked the most, she found it had the right difficulty level for me.

At this point I feel that I still need to work on :
-the end of the exposition, with the left hand semiquavers
arpeggios
- the thirds at the end of the developement (and thirds in general)
- the semiquavers in the transition (bars 29-36 and 157-172)
- the bars with triplets on the left hand and quavers on the right hand

Your comments are welcome, I'd be glad to read them !
Happy listening to everyone, and happy recital to the ABF forum :-)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission