Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (AZNpiano, anamnesis, bluebillytwo, Beemer, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room #2736552
05/14/18 09:32 PM
05/14/18 09:32 PM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
A
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #50!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #50 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #50 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736556
05/14/18 09:43 PM
05/14/18 09:43 PM
W
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement

HOW do you play so clean. HOW? HOW?!!

I think Classical is a great genre... and one that shall be forever on my horizon!

Kudos.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736566
05/14/18 09:47 PM
05/14/18 09:47 PM
W
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1

And into emo Romantic. Love the phrasing and control and dynamics. The wind is blowing off the moors and Heathcliff is coming for me, I am sure of it.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736574
05/14/18 09:49 PM
05/14/18 09:49 PM
W
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow

Just had a thread on this here. Love these big juicy chords and a crystal melody.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736579
05/14/18 09:57 PM
05/14/18 09:57 PM
W
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered

Had a teach a long time back who loved Bill Evans and I think you really got his soulfulness. I bet my teach would have loved this rendition. This kind of off-the-rails stuff is like another country to me.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736581
05/14/18 10:02 PM
05/14/18 10:02 PM
W
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
W
36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement

AFTER THE FIRST PAGE TURN and the double time. How can I consume your piano essence and make it mine?

I love the varied personalities of this movement of this piece.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736679
05/14/18 11:52 PM
05/14/18 11:52 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations to everybody who contributed to this most momentous recital! Once again I took shameless advantage of my admin position to start listening to the submissions early, so I can post my first ten now. smile

01 – Teddy J. (Chopin Ballade): I wasn’t familiar with this Ballade of Chopin’s; I liked the almost swing-like feel of the rhythm. I'm not qualified to offer informed feedback on classical pieces, but I think it's astonishing you could play this well after only a year or so of playing.

02 – SMA55 (Liszt Romance): This unbelievably lovely piece has me re-evaluating my preconception of Liszt (whom I associate more with fast and bombastic pieces). It also has me seriously envying your gorgeous piano. Love your playing of this!

03 – UnderConstruction (Grande Valse Brilliante Op. 18): This is a piece for which the adjective “jaunty” was seemingly invented. You make it sound easy, but I know pulling off all those runs and ornamentations at that tempo had to have been tough.

04 – wouter79 (Les Rozeaux): This is another piece full of tricky sounding ornamentations. Good job of maintaining an even tempo despite the challenges in the right hand.

05 – BSharpCyclist (High Heels): I’ve played this piece, so I know that even though it’s not technically challenging, as you say, it is full of so many playing minefields (e.g., having to play the bass pattern super quietly without skipping notes, playing with emotion etc.) that it is nonetheless hard to pull off a clean take. I love your rendition. As for your next Einaudi, I’d suggest “I due fiumi” (if you want something a bit easier) or “In un’ altra vita” (slightly harder).

06 – Jason Lenthe (Prelude and Fugue in C major): Bach is always hard, and this one is no exception–the prelude is nonstop action and totally unforgiving of any skipped notes or hesitations, and the fugue ups the antes with ornamentations thrown in. You rose to these challenges well. Bravo!

07 – Ted (improvisation): Talk about impressive! I run out of musical ideas after trying to improvise for two minutes; I can’t imagine improvising nonstop for an hour! I liked how your improv was never repetitive yet seemed to flow smoothly from one musical idea to the next. You win the Keith Jarrett award for the recital (and if we don’t have such an award, we should. laugh ).

08 – thepianoplayer416 (Bach Minuet in B flat): Okay, so this is the third Bach in 8 entries, and I’m going to start to sound repetitive: Bach is just plain hard, and I thought you did a great job of carrying out all the separate voices despite nonstop action–your tempo did not sound slow to me!

09 – MarieJ (Einaudi): This is one of Einaudi’s underrated pieces, I think; it’s so delicate and has such a memorable melody. As always, you show your affinity to Einaudi with a beautiful performance. I liked how you were able to keep the tempo even, instead of speeding up noticeably on the chorus part the way I always did/do.

10 – jazztpt (Saying goodbye): Oh, I’m so glad you found the time to contribute to this recital! I’ve always enjoyed your playing. This piece could well stand as the definition of “smooth jazz”; I loved the combination of the strong melody over the growling bass line. An impressive composition/improvisation!

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.] #2736682
05/15/18 12:03 AM
05/15/18 12:03 AM
Texas, USA
Teddy J Offline
Teddy J  Offline
Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Congratulations to everybody who contributed to this most momentous recital! Once again I took shameless advantage of my admin position to start listening to the submissions early, so I can post my first ten now. smile

01 – Teddy J. (Chopin Ballade): I wasn’t familiar with this Ballade of Chopin’s; I liked the almost swing-like feel of the rhythm. I'm not qualified to offer informed feedback on classical pieces, but I think it's astonishing you could play this well after only a year or so of playing.

Thanks for the kind words! I was nervous about sharing but the community seems to be very constructive and supportive. I really appreciate it. smile

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736690
05/15/18 01:14 AM
05/15/18 01:14 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
Wow - this has been THE most exciting Recital yet! Thank you Piano World, thank you Mr Super-Hunky (love that user-name smile ), thank you Monica, thank you Sam, thank you to any other behind-the-scenes elves who had a hand in making this happen, and thank you to all those fellow 'ABFers' who decided to join the party! Now for LOTS of wonderful listening!

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) What an amazing start to this Recital. A terrific achievement!

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance Stunningly beautiful - and that goes for your Steingraeber too smile - thank you for a very special treat, Shepherd.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 Lots of sparkling variety here - it sounded as if you really enjoyed the considerable challenge. And I really enjoyed listening!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 An unfamiliar piece, and while I’m not qualified to give useful feedback on matters classical, I can say that I really appreciated your performance.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels I’ve also played this, so I know that (like most of Einaudi’s music) getting it to sound right is trickier than it first seems. You captured the mystery of this piece - lovely! If you’re looking for something else from the ‘Islands’ album, ’Nefeli’ and ‘Le Onde’ are both worth considering.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-L

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.] #2736693
05/15/18 01:35 AM
05/15/18 01:35 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline
T
Toronto, Canada

08 – thepianoplayer416 (Bach Minuet in B flat): Okay, so this is the third Bach in 8 entries, and I’m going to start to sound repetitive: Bach is just plain hard, and I thought you did a great job of carrying out all the separate voices despite nonstop action–your tempo did not sound slow to me!

I would have worked on a piece by another composer. In the beginning of May I had to perform with my community orchestra. We played a few technical pieces including "Jupiter" from Gustav Holst "The Planets" so had to divert my piano practice time to the only piece I worked on before Christmas. A piece like this was most likely performed on a Clavichord. A few hundred years ago before there was sound recording or the metronome, composers would insert tempo references like Adagio, Andante, Allegro, etc. into the score. A piece that has no tempo reference, Players tend to be flexible what they feel should be the appropriate tempo. A technical and repetitive piece like this, performers tend to push for a faster tempo.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736697
05/15/18 02:10 AM
05/15/18 02:10 AM
Melbourne
H
h8dk97 Offline
h8dk97  Offline
H
Melbourne
05 – BSharpCyclist (High Heels)

Sounds beautiful, very impressed with your playing. I will try Einaudi one day

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736701
05/15/18 02:31 AM
05/15/18 02:31 AM
Melbourne
H
h8dk97 Offline
h8dk97  Offline
H
Melbourne
12 - Pianist685 (Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13)

I love this piece and your recording sounds like a professional to me. Really enjoyed it.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736703
05/15/18 03:01 AM
05/15/18 03:01 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye

Accomplished command of lyrical phrase and free rhythm, very enjoyable indeed.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill

This suggests new ways to take the ragtime idiom, well done.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.] #2736705
05/15/18 03:19 AM
05/15/18 03:19 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand

07 – Ted (improvisation): Talk about impressive! I run out of musical ideas after trying to improvise for two minutes; I can’t imagine improvising nonstop for an hour! I liked how your improv was never repetitive yet seemed to flow smoothly from one musical idea to the next. You win the Keith Jarrett award for the recital (and if we don’t have such an award, we should. laugh ).

Thanks Monica, glad you like it. I cannot imagine being able to play the piano in other ways and not constantly wanting to do this sort of thing, yet so few do, especially trained pianists. I would be terribly frustrated without it.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736712
05/15/18 03:38 AM
05/15/18 03:38 AM
Melbourne
H
h8dk97 Offline
h8dk97  Offline
H
Melbourne
63 - Tim Adrianson (Time Remembered)

I've forgotten that I'm listening to recital, just enjoyed the music. It was beautiful.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736714
05/15/18 04:29 AM
05/15/18 04:29 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
02 SMA55 (Shepherd) – Liszt, Romance Oh, how wonderful. I love this piece and your rendition. To be honest, I was quite surprised what I got when I clicked on your recording since I expected Liszt’s “Romance oubliée” from 1880, this one
www.imslp.org/wiki/Romance_oubliée,_S.527_(Liszt,_Franz)
but the version you are playing is much better. Is the score somewhere in the internet?

10 Jazztpt – Saying goodbye Oh, please, don’t say goodbye, say hallo again! But apart from that, a very enjoyable jazzy tune.

14 Alan Chandler – Beethoven Adagio You really know how to put emphasis on the melody while making the accompaniment soft. Congratulations! I enjoyed your recording very much. Your “long struggle” paid out, you are mastering the piece very well. It looks easier than it actually is, right? I would like to hear more from you.

16 peterws – Troublesome Treadmill I would not throw your piece away, it is quite unique. How would you call this style? The intro sounds a bit like new age, then comes some slight Ragtime appeal followed by some kind of rock piano.

31 Ed Riddler – Blue in Green Two colours that usually don’t go together well. Nevertheless, they do in this piece. Beautiful warm jazz chords.

42 PatH – Play piano, play (Gulda) What a fun piece. Swinging, Gershwin-like. I did not know the composer before, though, according to Wikipedia, he was a world-class contemporary Austrian pianist and composer.

46 Roger Ransom – Stardust One of the great classics. You are a perfect bar pianist. Just had a cocktail while listening to your music.

56 Serge88 – La maladie d’amour (Revaux/Sardou) Fantastic, romantic rendition and wonderful piano arrangement of yours. You do know how to play things by ear. Félicitations! To all the American folks here: you know Jacques Revaux and Michel Sardou without being aware! One of their greatest hits in France was a song entitled “Comme d’habitude” (“As usual”). It was taken up by Paul Anka who wrote some completely different lyrics and gave it to Frank Sinatra who had one of his greatest hits with it: “My way”.

59 Elaine Allegro – Beethoven Adagio Congratulations to your fantastic rendition. 100 likes. Your jolly comments were rather fun to read. I hope you swept up those notes that fell to the ground.

63 Tim Adrianson – Time Remembered (Bill Evans) A piece with much depth and substance I did not know yet, thanks for introducing me to this sad-sweet jazz tune.

69 h8dk97 – Kleine Studie (Schumann) I would not call this piece easy, it sounds easy but it isn’t. It seems to be some precursor to “Von fremden Laendern und Menschen”. Pianissimo on an acoustic piano… Yes, there are so many acoustics that need some better regulation. But you are mastering the pp very well.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736730
05/15/18 07:28 AM
05/15/18 07:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Melbourne, Australia
It's late and I just got home from work. But I couldn't wait to listen to the recital. So I randomly listened to a few:

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance
Such lyrical, sensitive, emotional and beautiful playing.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18
Commendable effort! This is one of the many pieces I want to eventually learn.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
Sorry I completely skipped the prelude and went straight to the fugue. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"
I should return to this piece when I get the chance. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful this piece is.

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1
I continue to aspire to your sensitive playing and musicality. This piece reminds me of Rachmaninov's Elegie.

Will listen to the recital properly when I get the chance.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736732
05/15/18 07:36 AM
05/15/18 07:36 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maine
100. Glen R. I like it. It has a very mysterious quality. Number of years ago I did a series of very short, ambient works I called "Snippits". This reminds me a lot of that. It sets a mood, is short and to the point. Well done! (And the piano sounds great)

92. Mr. Super Hunky. Well I for one have really missed your presence here at the recitals. Glad you are back. And from your playing I would never guess at the troubles you have had the last few years and lack of playing. Mighty nice.

90. Whizbang. I'm always in amazement at anyone that can play ragtime and you are no exception. Really fun piece.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736742
05/15/18 08:21 AM
05/15/18 08:21 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
Congratulations everyone on a very successful and breathtaking jubilee recital. 100 submissions is almost unbelievable! cool

I've listened to a first batch on my way to work and during the lunch break. My comments below are from memory, so please excuse it if they are short.

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt)
A nice piece and nice playing. Granted, one can hear the rough edges, but it's on a good way.
One suggestion: If possible, next time I would record via the line out connection of the piano, instead with a boom mic.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance
Wonderfully played, with very good expression and feeling. Makes me think I should maybe also start to look into the "less showy Liszt pieces"...

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18
Very nice performance, catchy and with verve. Fun to listen to!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2
Nicely played. Not one of the often seen composers here in the recital.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels
Wonderfully played with good expression. Doing Einaudi justice!

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
A nice little pair, well played and totally worth the effort you put into it!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60)
Wow! That was impressive! And very enjoyable to listen to. Some of it gave me vibes of late Romantic pieces...

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)
Good that you found the time to submit this in spite of your busy schedule. Very nice to listen to!

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Nicely played and wonderfully relaxing. Thanks!

Your long years of experience are really evident in this. The composition, improvisation (although I'm not competent to know which parts where improvised smile), and of course the playing. Wonderful!

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"
That's quite a forbidding background story! Nonetheless, a beautiful piece, and beautifully played!

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13
The recording with the Vintage D worked out very well I think. Enjoyable to listen too, with the voices well differentiated. Just a few rhythmically uneven bits here and there though (but that's "Meckern auf hohem Niveau" wink). Very nice!

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3
I don't feel competent to give in depth feedback, but I think you are on a good path with it. An authentic and enjoyable performance!

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile)
The CA67 sounds good! grin And the playing too, of course. Very nice! One can hear that you have put a lot of effort into this. I would certainly keep this fresh by playing it every now and then, so that you can revisit it once you feel you have progressed enough.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres
I enjoyed this very much. You are right, I did indeed not hear any wrong notes. wink Even with your admission of the latter, it sounded as if you were fully in control of the piece. Very nice!

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill
Didn't sound troublesome at all to me. I'm impressed! A very catchy composition - wouldn't mind at all to hear "Eternal Treadmill" in the next recital....

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido
Very nicely played, full of expression and feeling. It does indeed give vibes of a lament over a recent loss.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736751
05/15/18 08:57 AM
05/15/18 08:57 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
I'm going to start from the back. I'll probably do a handful a day so as to not overwhelm myself. There is a lot to listen to! I'd like to be able to read each participant's background info they provided and follow along with sheet music while listening, if possible. Perhaps I'll learn something smile

100. Glen R. - Duet for One

Nice job Glen. I followed along with sheet music. One thing I can hear my teacher saying is exaggerate the dynamics, the parts between mf and p. Piano sounds great.

99. micael K - Ronda alla turca

Great job! I think you play in playful fashion, not sure what others mean "child like". I just recently started learning this piece with my teacher. I think it will take me a LONG time to play fast. I'm struggling with those left hand 32nds and making sure you can hear each note played.

98. stambler / Dave - Miss Wardlaw's Favorite

Nice job, Dave. I followed along with the sheet I found on the website you provided. Challenging piece with all those trills.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736772
05/15/18 11:07 AM
05/15/18 11:07 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Well, we got a recital full of excellent pieces for #50! Here's my first batch of comments.

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) Oh, to be 16 again! Well, maybe not, my scars are well earned. That's a good start on a very difficult piece. I would suggest working your way up to these difficult pieces over a period of time. I've seen lots of people burnout by attempting difficult pieces too soon.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance Excellent! And the video was professionally done - matched your playing!

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 Love the tempo and the feel you have for this - those repeated notes would defeat me!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 Thanks for performing this - Couperin is on my list of composers to explore when i get the time. This one sounds very modern! Great playing...

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels Sounds great - glad to see Einaudi made it into the recital. You have a good feel for the tempo variations.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 I know how hard this is to do - and from memory too. So I am impressed. That low held note is called a pedal point because Bach was probably thinking of playing that on an organ pedal, which would hold the note just fine while the other notes were played above it.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) I'm glad you shared this Ted - I now know what you are doing with your improvisations. I'm impressed, both that you can do this for an hour+, and that I can pick out snippets that sound awesome. Very cool. Wonderful therapy. I'll have to share your story...

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) Very cool - I've played the other Bach/Gounod piece for flute and piano,and I've heard the Schubert piece many times.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Mesmerizing!

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye I love that it has direction and movement - I dislike jazz that just meanders. Cool ending too.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" Outstanding! One of my favorite pieces. I love your hands too. I'm so used to looking at my own wrinkled hands that its a shock to see hands that look so young and expressive!

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 Excellent timing and expression - very expressive.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 We all must struggle with this piece - its like a rite of passage! Very well done!

more to come!

Sam

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736778
05/15/18 11:40 AM
05/15/18 11:40 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) this was exceptional!, great recording of an acoustic along with the ultra classic piece. I’m not sure what “perfect” is here… but this is a good sample if it exists.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance beautifully played melodic and somber bittersweet piece. Enjoyed this , and the smooth dynamics were effective.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 maybe too much pedal? -seems to be hard to play, you played it very well, Enjoyed the listen. ,

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 Wow, this seems to be a difficult piece, especially the timing, for one to learn although you played it well and I enjoyed the listen.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels Excellent recording , timing and playing . Enjoyed the meditative quality of this piece.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 Well played, nice strong steady tempo and pace. Good recording

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) Nice piano sound! Cool-very jazz- Improvisation! Enjoyed it! (Hearing the piece).

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) Nice kept tempo and played evenly ..)

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Quite a beautiful piece and played well effective dynamics and sound [recording] Enjoyed the somber quality.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye WIAT!!! don’t say goodbye yet! 
Very well played, a good piano sound to this jazzy kind of piece.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" beautifully played delicate and smooth tempo. I enjoyed the listening and dynamics.)

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 beautifully played delicate and smooth tempo. I enjoyed the listening and dynamics.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 this is really a very well played piece and recording! Enjoyed the listen, the touch and timing were superb.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) WOW this is impressive, and the although the tempo was a tad slow it sounded great! Impressive piano playing! And recording.

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736779
05/15/18 11:41 AM
05/15/18 11:41 AM
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline
Wow, 100 pieces ...

I'm going to try for batches of five at a time; maybe I'll finish before the next recital! Random order (literally so, I used a random-number generator).

94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp"

Beautiful wash of sound with well-controlled pedaling. Convincing build to a climax followed by release of tension. Fine recording of a fine instrument, too.

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande

Lovely shaping of phrases and connecting them into a whole, excellent feel for dynamics and articulation.

Just terrific! Wonderful arc of development over a simple theme and bridge, though a dazzling array of textures and moods, back to a quiet goodbye.

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4

Lovely range from wistful to dramatic, beautiful melody line. More pedal please!

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe?

Definitely not boring! Stately and a bit mysterious, with a courtly dance feel.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736783
05/15/18 11:46 AM
05/15/18 11:46 AM
Sioux Falls, SD
B
briangmoore Offline
briangmoore  Offline
B
Sioux Falls, SD

It will be hard to keep up with the comments and not get overwhelmed! I wish I could comment on them all. I know how much I appreciate when anyone comments on my pieces.

But, listening this morning, there were three in a row that really caught my attention:

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)

I also commented this in your youtube posting--I know how hard it is to play a Bach fugue (I have yet to get to the point where I can do that!)
So this was very enjoyable. And I love the video where you can see the hammers hitting the strings.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete

I have enjoyed very much all your Einaudi pieces in the past. Your High Heels a while back led me to start playing that, and it is wonderful.
This is very enjoyable as well.

Wow. Great jazz playing.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736788
05/15/18 12:12 PM
05/15/18 12:12 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
What a truly magnificent Recital! I am amazed at the quality of playing here, and I am really enjoying listening.

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) This is an ambitious project for only a year of playing. You have a good start on it, and clearly you love the piece. You have made amazing progress for only a year's experience.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance This is truly a gem, and you play it with beautiful expression. Truly well done! Your Steingraeber has a lovely voice!

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 Wow! Very impressive, fast finger work! You did a lovely job with this, expressing the melody clearly over the full and fast accompaniment. You brought out the humor of the piece well. Bravo!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 Nice job with the ornamentation in this piece. I like your balancing of the voices in this piece. Well done!

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels You have a nice touch for Einaudi’s music. I like the pensive feeling that you give this piece.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 I like the tempo that you chose. I often hear the prelude too slow. You did a lovely job with this. I also like how you shaped the prelude. Fugues can be a mind twister, but you did a lovely job. The voices were well balanced in the fugue, always presenting clarity. Great job!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) I love how your improv just flows along creatively, touching the mood of the moment. You are truly one with your music.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) Nice job balancing the voices in this very busy piece. Bach certainly requires total concentration!

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete You have the perfect, gentle touch for Einaudi. I like the way you paced the piece.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye This is a lovely composition, full of reminiscence and tenderness. Beautiful, rich improvisation.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 Pathetique is on my someday list. I love this Adagio, and you do a lovely job with it. You did a beautiful job of balancing the voices, and I like the mix of articulations. Wonderful playing!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736799
05/15/18 12:34 PM
05/15/18 12:34 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maine
11. SwissMs.- The raindrop is quite an undertaking and you certain seem up to the challenge. Such a beautiful piece and a great job. (And the piano sounds wonderful)

16. peterws. - Great piece! It really moves. You have some nice variations and I love the double notes.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736850
05/15/18 03:39 PM
05/15/18 03:39 PM
Sioux Falls, SD
B
briangmoore Offline
briangmoore  Offline
B
Sioux Falls, SD

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031

Thank you for this wonderful performance!! I did not realize you had missed some recitals (so have I--more than a few), so it is very good to see you back here.

I also wanted to share with you how much I have enjoyed your previous pieces, and the videos.

Your performance of the Scarlatti K 466 I found so enjoyable I began playing that piece and am still working on it.

And your performance of Monday was very influential (and inspirational) in my own playing when I prepared that piece for recital here.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736852
05/15/18 03:44 PM
05/15/18 03:44 PM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Near Yosemite, California
What a great recital, happy 50th! I think it may take just short of forever to comment on all, but it will be such an enjoyable forever.

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) As another commenter has already mentioned, what a great start to this recital! Great job with this, and at only a year experience, well done!

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance Beautiful, such a lovely piece. Loved your history of the piece also.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 Oh, a super fun toe tapper, I love a good waltz!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 Super job with the ornamentation, really enjoyed this. I've got my eye on a couple of Couperin pieces at whatever point I'm actually capable of playing them. smile

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels Very expressive, you have a real way with Einaudi.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 Loved the tempo for the prelude, very impressed with the fugue.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) Wow! I wasn't sure what to expect, and going with this flow made for great listening!

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) Great job with this, well done bringing out the voicing.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Really like this piece, beautiful melody. You played it with sensitivity and thoughtfulness.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye Wonderful piece / composition / improvisation. Really impressed and loved listening.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736900
05/15/18 04:58 PM
05/15/18 04:58 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Italy
And we're off! What an amazing turn out for this recital - so many "old timers" back with us, so many new arrivals, and so many of our regulars-- it's a feast for the ears, the heart and soul.

I'm especially delighted that Mr. Super-Hunky is back with us - celebrating this wonderful 50th run of his original idea.

I've got to go in order, or I just feel stressed out keeping track of what I'm doing - so here goes, with my first offering - thank you so much to everyone who put in so much time and energy, and passion into these performances!

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) Welcome Teddy. That was certainly a grand opening to the recital! If this is what you can do at 1 year, I think we can expect to see truly great work from you in the future.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance I enjoyed reading the background story to this piece - thank you! This is a really wonderful piece - I can see how easy it would be to get wrapped up in it. I would love to learn this piece (in fact I've already sent a message to my teacher to tell him!) Thank you for introducing me to this music, which you played so well. What a pleasure!

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 This piece always makes me want to be on a dance floor, with a long poofy dress, and long white gloves and a tiara, whirling and whirling -- maybe with a dashing fellow in a red dress-uniform. You may have had a few flubs, but your performance created a mood and scene in my mind and delighted me.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels Well, you've got the Einaudi bug eh? Well, you do it justice and you do a great job of bringing out emotions and some depth - good for you, nicely played!

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 Welcome to the recitals! One of my favourites! Beautifully done - a lovely sense of power flowing through this performance, and opening up the front of the piano really gave it that huge sound that calls to mind the fullness of organ music. Thoroughly enjoyed your performance!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) I am always curious about what I'm going to hear when I see "improvisation"..... I read in someone elses' comment something about Keith Jarret --- I had to say that's who popped into my mind too. I don't think I could move my fingers that quickly even with a piece I had studied, much less as an improv. Very impressive. Welcome back to the forum!

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) I never get tired of Bach. This piece is so energetic and bright - you really make it sing. I enjoyed your performance very much!

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Once again you've really got the spirit and flow of Sigor Einaudi's work. It seems to me that your fluidity and ability to create nuances of mood and emotion are improving with each new piece. Brava! Complimenti!

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye This is the kind of jazzy atmospheric music I can get lost in. It's reminiscent of a period without really being there, it creates images, like a film reel in my mind, city streets slick with rain, a thrumming lively rush hour, tireless energy pushing on, red white and green traffic lights, then settling --- possibly with a good glass of scotch to end the day. Loved it.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" Doris - that's superb! I had goosebumps. Your Bose has such an amazing thrilling sound. You brought out so many aspects of emotion and depth in this piece - it's a jewel. Mr. Casinitaly enjoyed it too and said "Well done Doris!" Hope to hear you play it live, in Germany!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736911
05/15/18 05:31 PM
05/15/18 05:31 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
Next batch:

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop": Your playing of this piece is made even more beautiful by the lovely deep bass notes of your piano. You did a great job of carefully controlling the gradual crescendos in volume to create the sense of tension building.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13: There’s a reason this is such a famous and beloved piece; the melody is absolutely gorgeous. I thought you played this excellently, with a great control of dynamics.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3: This is such a dainty piece, perfect for spring! smile You play the first two movements with an admirably light, confident touch. You’ll soon work out the occasional hesitations toward the end, leaving you with a nice repertoire piece.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile): This sounded great to me–you play this with a nice brooding emotion and excellent control of tempo and dynamics.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres: If I insisted on a recording with no wrong notes, I’d never submit anything to the recitals. ha I couldn’t tell where these alleged wrong notes were; it all sounded good to me. It sounded so pleasantly light and jazzy when I was listening to it that I was surprised to learn it was Debussy.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill: I was listening to the streaming player while working on the recital last night, and when your piece came on it was so lively and fun I had to look to see who was playing... and I was super impressed to discover that it was your original composition! I really liked this.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido: Such a sad, beautiful piece; I’ve learned a lot about Liszt’s range of musical style in this recital! You do a good job of making those huge leaps after hitting those deep bass notes.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12: I wasn’t familiar with this Schumann piece, but I agree completely that it connotes a peaceful feeling of relaxation and satisfaction after a long day, watching the evening creep in. I was particularly impressed by your excellent pedal work here–sustaining as necessary, but allowing those chords to be short when they need to be.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing I’ve always enjoyed your “Message From Space” compositions; this one has a more brooding, dark tempo and air that appeals greatly to me. And I really like the piercing high radar-signal like notes that begin and end the piece. smile

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande: I think shaky hands are a required side effect of the Red Dot Syndrome! laugh Your playing sure didn’t sound nervous, though; you were cool and controlled and confident throughout.

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow): This is some nice mellow jazz indeed! I really liked the give and take of how you and your wife changed lead melody roles in it. You two look much more in sync (and happier with each other) than my daughter and I ever did when we tried to play duets.

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4: As you played, I pictured floating in a lake in middle of the night, full moon illuminating the water and surrounding woods. Loved your quiet and peaceful rendition.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5): I think it’s great that you tackled a piece with such sentimental meaning for you. This was a masterful performance; you pull off the heroic air of the theme perfectly.

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart and Virtuosity
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 12:58 PM
CLP-685 CLP-675 buying advice
by Janerik. 08/18/18 12:11 PM
Kawai GE30 vs Kawai GL10
by Katieji. 08/18/18 10:53 AM
Piano shopping in Montreal Ca.
by Tweedpipe. 08/18/18 09:49 AM
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 08:44 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,941
Posts2,739,621
Members90,794
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission