Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (AZNpiano, anamnesis, bluebillytwo, Beemer, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738916
05/23/18 11:33 AM
05/23/18 11:33 AM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
I've now listened to the first 37 pieces, just 62 to go! I've really enjoyed the youtube videos, especially putting a picture to the player, their instrument, and their (often quite humble) surroundings (although I'd be too nervous to do a video myself smile ). It's also great to see people putting up pieces that aren't perfect -- that will help me reduce my perfectionist tendency for the next recital.

I've chosen a few pieces that resonated with me, on which to comment.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance
- I enjoyed your performance, as well as the short history lesson you gave.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18
- It may have taken you a billion tries, but it sure came across as effortless. I particularly enjoyed the wide range of dynamics.

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels
- Very enjoyable, and as you say, Einaudi always sounds good smile

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
- Amazing how such a simple note progression can sound so beautiful. Thanks for the performance!

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60)
- I wasn't sure what to expect when I read that it was a long improvisation smile. Very nice! I'm always impressed when I hear improvisation on something like a trumpet, when it's just a single note at a time. I can't imagine being able to improvise something on the piano this rich that "hangs together" and doesn't sound like nonsense.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
- Like you, I first heard of Einaudi via ABF (most likely one of Monica K's recital pieces). Beautifully played.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye
- Wow! I really enjoyed this piece, and impressed that you're the composer.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill
- Neat! That looks like it'd be a ton of fun to play!

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing
- I really enjoyed this, in particular the hypnotic left hand.

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)
- For some reason I've always wondered if your avatar is a picture of you. I still don't know, but it was nice to see you in the video. Nice tie smile. Oh, nice playing too smile

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
- What a great piece and performance -- has a majestic quality to it. I imagine it's really fun to play as well!

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150)
- Great piece and artwork! And since I remember you starting the AOTW thread way back, I was curious so listened to your first ABF recital (first of 36!) from May 2010. It's great to see the progression, and the significantly increased confidence -- you must be proud of yourself!

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now
- Great playing! You're right, it's a great song, and your playing definitely evoked similar feeling to the original.

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor
- Interesting how a melodic piece can be built up over a simple scale. I enjoyed it.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738933
05/23/18 01:40 PM
05/23/18 01:40 PM
Ireland (ex England)
Z
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Z
Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted by Pianist685
you are using too much pedal and are not fully releasing it when harmonies change
That's excellent feedback, Constantin, thank you. Pedalling has been a problem area for me for a little while - I had been numb to pedalling after years on a poor digital. As chance would have it, I had my wake-up call on this very Beethoven Adagio. While I may be an experienced pianist, I still exhibit, yes, carelessness and one of the problems of having so much experience is that it ages one so and change happens more slowly. smile

Originally Posted by Pianist685
Well, you seem to be playing on an acoustic instrument this time while you used to play your CA95 in former recitals. Maybe the reaction of the pedal of the acoustic is different and difficult to control or the pedal needs some maintenance.
I'm still playing the same old CA95 but I've just upgraded Pianoteq to 6.1 and I've not got it to work without delay yet so I'm playing and listening to the Kawai but recording through Pianoteq. In Pianoteq 5 I could monitor the recording while playing the Kawai, which helped, but you're pretty much on the money, thanks.

Richard
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738959
05/23/18 04:04 PM
05/23/18 04:04 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
T
My thanks to the following people for commenting upon my submission -- it's gratifying to know that a piece of that nature was so well received by so many!

Whizbang; h8dk97; Pianist685; Tubbie0075; FrankieC; jazztpt; Sam S; Keselo[b]; [b]cmb13; Riddler; Ralphiano; bSharp(C)yclist; MeganR; J Soo; and MarieJ.

Wonderful recital; thanks to the moderators for putting this together!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738970
05/23/18 04:54 PM
05/23/18 04:54 PM
Seattle, WA, USA
D
dddaaannn Offline
dddaaannn  Offline
D
Seattle, WA, USA
Feedback coverage update: As of this post, the following entries have the least feedback and have requested feedback:

77, 78, 79, 73, 75, 86, 88, 99, 97, 76, 64, 72, 82, 89, 96, 87, 80, 68, 66, 55, 81, 83, 93, 32, 100, 47

If you're still interested in providing feedback, starting with this list will improve our coverage.

Every entry has received at least 6 comments so far. The item with the most feedback so far has received 25 comments, with an average of 12 and a median of 12. Thanks to everyone who has posted!

(I'm tracking this only because I noticed that most of us are starting at the beginning, and some are starting at the end, and I was curious to see if this left a slump anywhere. Nobody is obligated to comment on every piece or use a particular methodology. Just trying to spread the love. smile )

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-685 • 36-year dabbler, three-time adult learner
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738973
05/23/18 05:17 PM
05/23/18 05:17 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
51 ThomasPiano

Thought it was bach from his M.M. Notebook selection. Never mind; you played it well and it was pitch perfect! Good 'un, man!

52 Quazsedcft

The playing's lovely, and the recording's fine given the circumstances! You should be easily able to record it on a memory stick, wav. file. Better luck next time!

53 Frankie C

That was a good piece of music. Now, you know very well how to handle these things better than ole Pete, so, for technical feedback, here we go.
Sweet!

54 Greywulff

Spanish. You sometimes wonder when these things will get going, and then . . . they finish! The composer forgets about the middle bit . . . .but then you play the middle bit, and very nicely, too. hard to play something like this in one take! Nice.

55 Nancy M333

I agree wholeheartedly about the easier pieces. Tuneful always, and entertaining too. Lovely work on that classic piano.

56 Serge88

A tune similar in character to the last one; I enjoy the tuneful simplicity of these. well played!

57 Greener, Jeff

So much variety; so much good stuff. It sings in fine style, a melancholy tune. Why were so many musicians sad? (shrug)

58 Dumka1

A popular and enigmatic tune with a haunting refrain. Love it. Good stuff, man.

59 ElaineAllegro

I d/l Beethoven's Waldstein couple o' days ago, inspired by you lot. I can no longer play it, nor will I attempt to! This is lovely; and your volume increases/decreases are quite dramatic Lovely!

60 Pavel K

A charming piece, what there was of it! You'll have to extend it using your imagination . . . . Very nicely played!

That'll do me for tonight. Well done guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: dddaaannn] #2738979
05/23/18 06:20 PM
05/23/18 06:20 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by dddaaannn
Feedback coverage update: As of this post, the following entries have the least feedback and have requested feedback:

77, 78, 79, 73, 75, 86, 88, 99, 97, 76, 64, 72, 82, 89, 96, 87, 80, 68, 66, 55, 81, 83, 93, 32, 100, 47

If you're still interested in providing feedback, starting with this list will improve our coverage.

Every entry has received at least 6 comments so far. The item with the most feedback so far has received 25 comments, with an average of 12 and a median of 12. Thanks to everyone who has posted!

(I'm tracking this only because I noticed that most of us are starting at the beginning, and some are starting at the end, and I was curious to see if this left a slump anywhere. Nobody is obligated to comment on every piece or use a particular methodology. Just trying to spread the love. smile )

Nice analysis! For what it's worth, my main goal for this recital was getting back in the swing of piano world, I won't be offended if there aren't many people providing feedback smile (I'm # 100)

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738987
05/23/18 07:00 PM
05/23/18 07:00 PM
Quebec city, QC
Jouishy Offline
Jouishy  Offline
Quebec city, QC
The #100 that was promoted to #11, which is a nice glitch. laugh

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Glen R.] #2738988
05/23/18 07:03 PM
05/23/18 07:03 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Glen R.
- I wasn't sure what to expect when I read that it was a long improvisation smile. Very nice! I'm always impressed when I hear improvisation on something like a trumpet, when it's just a single note at a time. I can't imagine being able to improvise something on the piano this rich that "hangs together" and doesn't sound like nonsense.

Thanks for listening, I am pleased you found coherent meaning in it. I have always thought that music means whatever the listener cares to impose on it and nothing more; not a popular or fashionable idea, but one which is rather difficult to refute. Curiously, my main problem with long improvisation is purely physical; I do not hesitate to use all the technique I can muster if the music needs it. Safe is boring. To this end, at seventy, I find rigorous daily aerobic and resistance training sessions essential. Of course there are many other reasons for exercise, stamina in piano playing is just a bonus. If there is one thing I have learned from sixteen years on piano forums it is that my approach to piano playing is a long way from normal. For that reason I steer clear of joining discussions these days. However, Sam’s kind invitation to the 50th was irresistible.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738989
05/23/18 07:05 PM
05/23/18 07:05 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
These are the last of my comments, all 99 complete smile

Thank you to those of you who listened and commented on my recital piece. I'll do something different than Einaudi next time ;0

Wow that was great, what are the other 54 minutes like smile

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)

Well done on the Bach piece, enjoyed listening.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3

I think you did a fine job on the Sonatina, Paige. It's quite long - well done! I'm a fan of Clementi, always enjoy listening. The third movement is in my RCM book. I may try it at some point. I opted to do the two Beethoven Sonatinas this time around.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres

This was beautiful, well done. I certainly didn't hear any wrong notes smile

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4

Another great Mendelssohn piece. Great job, I enjoyed listening.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)

This was fantastic. I think it just might be my favorite in this recital. Dark and gritty. Love it.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro

Very nice! Great Valentine's Day gift smile

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1

Was this recorded outside? Love the crickets ... and your playing smile

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508

Another fine Stolzel/Bach piece, well done!

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton)

What a beautiful cover/arrangement. The video was great, thanks for sharing.

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement

I though this was really good, great recording! I need to learn more Mozart smile

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960

Sorry to hear about your loss frown This a lovely piece, and does have a nice character to it. I like the sound of the N1 smile

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe?

Nice composition, it does I guess remind me of Baroque, but it also has a Spanish feel to it. I don't know why, but I like it.

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4

Might as well end my comments on a great Chopin piece. Well done, bravo! I didn't hear any sirens though ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738990
05/23/18 07:17 PM
05/23/18 07:17 PM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber
29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" Well done, good dynamics.

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now I think you conveyed the excitement of the Queen original, very nice.

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green Wonderful sound, fantastic playing of this great song.

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton) This is great, so impressed you did the arrangement yourself.

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline Really enjoyed both your playing and the backing track for this piece.

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I Glad you felt well enough after your surgery and do such a great job with this piece.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2738992
05/23/18 07:23 PM
05/23/18 07:23 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Wow that was great, what are the other 54 minutes like smile

Thanks for listening, glad you like it. Anybody is welcome to any or all of my recorded improvisation or written compositions, I don’t want to be in the music business. The files are very big though, so best to send me a PM and we’ll jack something up.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Ted] #2738997
05/23/18 07:56 PM
05/23/18 07:56 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Ted
Originally Posted by Glen R.

Thanks for listening, I am pleased you found coherent meaning in it. I have always thought that music means whatever the listener cares to impose on it and nothing more; not a popular or fashionable idea, but one which is rather difficult to refute. Curiously, my main problem with long improvisation is purely physical; I do not hesitate to use all the technique I can muster if the music needs it. Safe is boring. To this end, at seventy, I find rigorous daily aerobic and resistance training sessions essential. Of course there are many other reasons for exercise, stamina in piano playing is just a bonus. If there is one thing I have learned from sixteen years on piano forums it is that my approach to piano playing is a long way from normal. For that reason I steer clear of joining discussions these days. However, Sam’s kind invitation to the 50th was irresistible.

Ah, I hadn't even processed what 60 minutes of piano playing would be like. Yes, that would be quite the workout! I'm glad you accepted Sam's invitation -- keep up being not normal thumb.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739010
05/23/18 09:07 PM
05/23/18 09:07 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart: I think I’m going to have to look up Rollins’s sheet music; this is my kind of music, and I like the idea of playing something so pretty that’s also easy. You give this a very pleasing gentle, romantic touch.

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour: I wasn’t familiar with either the composer or the song. It’s a gorgeous melody, and I’m impressed that you created this rich, full arrangement by ear.

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List: I remember when you played this for the 2012 recital; what a great idea to revisit your first-ever recording for the 50th recital! You play this with precisely the gentle, somber expression this piece demands.

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466: This is one of the extremely few classical pieces that ever got me thinking “I have to learn this!”, so much so that I obtained the sheet music but haven’t really tackled it yet. I think you did an excellent job of bringing out the left hand voice.

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement: A very nice performance of a classic masterpiece. I really liked how you controlled the dynamics, especially around the 2:50 mark. And your piano sounds GORGEOUS!

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35: This is such a pretty piece that I’m surprised nobody has submitted it before. It sounds surprisingly modern to me; I really like how you’ve played it.

61. Keselo - Quasi Adagio: You picked the perfect word to describe this piece: “melancholic.” You do a good job of expressing that emotion; I especially resonated to the contrast between the distinct, almost staccato melody in your right hand and the brooding, legato bass. I just wish it had been longer!

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32: I really like these Scarlatti sonatas, and yes, I agree with you that there are times when only sad songs will suffice! I enjoyed your playing of this bittersweet little piece.

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered: My favorite Bill Evans piece will always be “Peace Piece,” but I think this one–which I hadn’t heard before–has moved into #2 position, thanks to your dreamy, wistful playing.

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739039
05/24/18 02:29 AM
05/24/18 02:29 AM
India
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
India
31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green
That was a brilliant performance! This is one of my favourite jazz numbers. I absolutely love the Miles Davis version.
I attempted to play this for the GAS recital a couple of years ago. I just couldn't get it to sound right. So I abandoned it. Since then, I thought of doing an arrangement for piano/guitar, but somewhere along the way, I just ran out of steam. You've inspired me to try again. Thanks for sharing this smile

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton)
I'm not familiar with this music, it's my first time listening to it. It was interesting. I liked it. I also checked out some of your other YouTube videos. I liked the Korra one as well.

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline
More new music. Nice! The backing track was a nice change. It goes well with the piano part. The only drawback I found of using a backing track is that you cant vary the tempo. I also listened to your cover of house of the rising sun. It was nice smile

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I
Nicely done! I like this sonata. Interesting that the first movement is in Theme and Variations instead of Sonata form.
I didn't think your performance dragged at all. I would like to hear you play the rest of the variations as well. My favourite is the 3rd variation. Sounds like a prelude to the funeral march in the 3rd movement.
I really like listening to Barenboim's performance of this sonata. His interpretation of the 2nd Variation is simply outrageous! (in a good way)
I'm glad you recorded despite your recent surgery. Wish you a speedy recovery smile

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light
I haven't heard this before. I don't think I've watched the movie yet. This was an interesting piece. I bet it sounds very different with the vocals. Thanks for sharing smile

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement
Nice done! The performance was very enjoyable. Very energetic and fluid. The ornamentation was really superb! The 3rd variation is probably my favourite of the 6. You played it very well.
I find it very hard to play while turning the pages. I play only on digital instruments and the music stands have not been well suited for turning pages. I tried a few times, but came dangerously close to tearing the pages, so I've since stopped grin

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor
Congrats on your first submission. I hope you will continue to participate.
Interesting piece. Nice and short. You played it quite well smile Perhaps increasing the tempo a bit might make it sound more exciting.
I'm also self learning. I find that repeatedly listening to my own recordings are very helpful as I don't always 'hear' my mistakes while playing.

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960
I'm sorry for your loss. This is a wonderful dedication.
I'm not very familiar with much of Schubert's music. The Moments Musicaux, the impromptus and the sonta in A minor, D845 are some of the few pieces I'm familiar with. I think I really like this piece as well. Your playing was superb. It sounded very rounded and polished. I think I'll listen to the entire sonata. Thanks for sharing.

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor
Very nicely done! Excellent for the short time you've been playing. Good choice of tempo. Those tricky ornaments were nicely done. I might have played it with a steadier tempo, but I guess this is an interpretive choice. The only suggestion I have would be to emphasize a bit more on the downbeat.

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe?
I'm afraid you've got your description quite wrong. It's not really boring. It's not that slow. Also, the beginning sounded a bit like baroque to me, but form the 1:20 onwards, sounded quite modern. I liked it. The delay/echo effect was also quite fitting.
The music was really nice. Your description of the music needs some work though wink

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739157
05/24/18 02:27 PM
05/24/18 02:27 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S
50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3
Well played!

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major
I think you did a really good job with this piece!

53. FrankieC - Reverie
I enjoyed your performance. Nice work!

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List
Like the piece I myself chose for this recital, yours is not a technically demanding one. BUT the challenge with the pieces we chose is to play them with feeling and expression. And you succeeded big time with yours. Great job!

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35
I was previously unfamiliar with this piece, but I enjoyed your performance. Thank you for submitting it.

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32
I think you played this very nicely! Even the trills, about which you expressed some insecurity, were actually pretty darned good. Good work, Megan!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739167
05/24/18 03:10 PM
05/24/18 03:10 PM
UK
P
PhilzPiano Offline
PhilzPiano  Offline
P
UK
01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) - You're very brave to attempt this piece with just a year of experience! A great effort.

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance - I've not heard this piece before and I will definitely add it to my 'pieces to learn' list! Beautifully played.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 - Your playing sounded very accurate to me. I love Chopin, but his pieces are difficult!

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels - Can't beat a good Einaudi piece! Loved the playing and your piano sounds great.

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 - I love this piece and submitted my own recording of the prelude a while back. Really enjoyed your playing. The fugue in particular flowed very well.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) - Awesome stuff! What more can I say?

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) - Great rendition of a difficult piece. Well done.

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete - A lovely piece played very well. I can't say I noticed any 'still rough bits'!

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye - An interesting and complex sounding piece. Well played!

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" - I love this piece. your playing was great.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 - I love the emotion in this piece and I thought your rendition was really good. One of the best renditions I've heard in fact.

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 - Very delicately played and it sounded great. Well done.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) - Great piece. Loved your playing.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres - I'm not familiar with the piece, but I really enjoyed hearing it. I thought your pedal control was just right.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill - What a great piece. You could probably publish it and sell it! Well played too.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido - Fabulous piece. You can clearly hear the nod to Chopin. Well played.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 - Great recording, expertly played. Well done.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing - Sounded quite appropriate for a moon landing! Nice to know there are fellow drone flyers on here too.

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande Very nicely played. A good even performance. It's not easy to perform Bach well and you did a great job.

Kawai CA67
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739202
05/24/18 06:43 PM
05/24/18 06:43 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
60 PavelK

Sweet sounding piece. Good easy feel to it; well played. apologies for getting your piece mixed up with that of 61.

61 Keselo

I enjoyed this music, a real Medieval feel to it. Too short. You need to improvise a middle and end bit!

62 Megan R

More charming Medieval stuff. Just love it. Great sound out of that spinet. Nice!

63 Tim Adrianson

Hard to figure out some o' this jazz stuff, but stuff's always changing and I guess we must, too. your piano rings out well, alive with the vibrations of this geezer's, and your, music. It is strangley compelling but i fear I'll only fully understand it when I get certified . . . .!

64 JoanGolfing

Mozart's variations on Twinkle twinkle! I find this fascinating, I find him fascinating. Good choice, plenty of good instructive work in there. Well done!

65 xyzzy

This pretty darned advanced stuff. Don't sell yourself short. This is well played but needs refining which can only ever come with time. And you simply haven't been playing long enough yet. a magnificent effort, and no doubt, a huge leap forwards!

Tired tonight. Off I go . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: PhilzPiano] #2739214
05/24/18 07:41 PM
05/24/18 07:41 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano
07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) - Awesome stuff! What more can I say?

Thank you for listening, pleased you enjoyed it. Free, personal improvisation makes me unconditionally happy in a way that any of the established processes cannot even come close to. Why it is not more widely practised among musicians, why it is still seen as a sort of poor man's composition, are mysteries I shall probably not solve in my lifetime.

Last edited by Ted; 05/24/18 07:46 PM.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739229
05/24/18 09:14 PM
05/24/18 09:14 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
64. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman": I hope you had as much fun working on these variations as I did listening to them! smile You gave them such a light, delicate touch.

65. xyzzy - Dreamsville: I love a good Mancini tune. You make this one sound dreamy indeed; it flows along smoothly and easily under your fingers.

66. Sara_M - "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song: When I listened to your recording, your playing sounded so confident and well-controlled that I was surprised to find out afterwards that you have only been playing for about 10 months. Good job!

67. SandTiger - Into the Meadow: I had a lot of fun engaging in visual imagery while listening to this, envisioning a group of children laughing and playing in a green meadow filled with spring flowers while the sun shines down. A lovely composition, well-played. thumb

68. Moo smile - Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1: Nicely played; you do a good job of voicing the melody line clearly against the bass. Have you tried photocopying the sheet music and spreading it out on the music desk so you don’t have mess with page turns?

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie: Here’s another gorgeous little Schumann piece! I may need to diversify from Einaudi... ha You do a great job of playing these nonstop arpeggios evenly at a steady tempo. My only complaint is that it was too short.

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031: So glad you were able to participate this time; your recordings are always a treat, both for the outstanding playing as well as the gorgeous production values on your videos.

71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow: I really like this arrangement of “Over the Rainbow.” As you note, there are some interesting dissonances in the chords; I think you achieved your goal of making sure the melody was voiced clearly over the background. I especially liked the chorus arrangement.

72. JustinDAggie - Liebestraum Number 3: Nice job on a challenging classic! I especially admired your playing of those parallel runs up and down the keyboard at about the 1:00-1:20 mark. (Not at all related, but I also loved the portraits hanging on the wall in your piano room. smile )

73. squidbot (Chris) - Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1: I feel you have captured the essence of what makes a successful mazurka: The ability to play with a bouncy, yet gentle, air. You’re well on your way to having it nailed for your recital in June!

74. outo - Two Keyboard Sonatas K32 and K34: I agree with you that these sonatas go together very well. I like how you play the trills cleanly. Very nice!

75. Kalos Piano - Sarabande HWV 437 N. 4: If I’m not mistaken, I think Kubrick used this for “A Clockwork Orange” as well. You did a great job of controlling the dynamics and keeping the tempo steady. I know I would probably rush those big chord sections.

76. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - This Girl's In Love With You: Oh, you’re going to have me humming this song all night long! Once again, you amaze me with your playing-by-ear skills. I love the deep bass notes you put in this arrangement.

77. PhilzPiano - Andante op 453 no 32: You may make me re-evaluate my opinion of Czerny, whom I had always associated with boring exercises. This neat little melody is no boring exercise, and if you hadn’t reminded us, I would never have guessed you were recovering from a bad hand injury.

78. Fouyaut - Sonata K332 - Allegro: I’m glad you came back for the recital! And congratulations on an extremely impressive performance for a single take! I think I heard only one of the “more and more” mistakes you mention. Very well played!

79. Jouishy - The little shepherd: I wasn’t familiar with this Debussy piece. It’s interesting; it’s got nice dreamy legato parts and then bouncy staccato parts (I’m envisioning little lambs prancing about!). You do a great job of transitioning between the two very different musical styles.

80. dddaaannn - Sonatina in A Minor, op. 214, no. 4: This piece looks fun to play, with that alternating note rhythm in the bass. I thought you managed well at bringing out the melody voice no matter which hand was playing it.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739291
05/25/18 06:19 AM
05/25/18 06:19 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
Half-way through, so I’m skipping back to the next 25 submissions. I’m torn between wanting to hurry and congratulate performers, and wanting to take my time and savour the marvellous efforts. I know how important feedback is to me so I *will* get around to everyone as soon as possible.

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 Oh, beautiful! Goes to show that the pianist *can* overcome the instrument’s minor shortcomings.

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 A clear bell-like quality to this piece - really nicely played!

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) Cheryl, that was a real feast for the ears and the eyes. Loved the piece, loved the playing, loved the pastels!

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" I’m unfamiliar with ‘La La Land’, but that was jaw-droppingly good for someone who has been playing for only 15 months.

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now Very impressive - powerful stuff! Well done!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-L

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739396
05/25/18 12:40 PM
05/25/18 12:40 PM
Quebec city, QC
Jouishy Offline
Jouishy  Offline
Quebec city, QC
Monika : thanks! This is something I like about this piece, this difference in atmosphear. It is very peculiar. smile

Thanks for your listening and your comment.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Mozart's K545, 1st and 3rd mov
- Tina's theme from FF VI piano collections
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739408
05/25/18 01:23 PM
05/25/18 01:23 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S
69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie
Very well done—especially considering the relatively short amount of time you’ve been studying piano.

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
This was a lovely performance. I love your touch and articulation. Well done!

71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow
Very nice arrangement. And really nicely played. I only wish I could have heard this performed on a nice acoustic grand piano, to have exploited the organic resonance of that instrument over a digital one and thereby captured more of the richness of this arrangement.

72. JustinDAggie - Liebestraum Number 3
Very nice performance of this beautiful piece. I myself just finished working on this piece a few months ago, and so I have some fresh thoughts on your performance, if you’re interested. IMHO two things could have made it even better: 1) The melody could have been set much more prominently in the foreground with the accompaniment relegated more softly to the background. As it is in your recording, the melody and accompaniment are very nearly at the same volume. 2) You ignored the eighth note and two quarter note rests, along with the fermata over the second quarter note rest, after the final notes of the cadenza in measure 60, providing absolutely no separation between the cadenza and the beginning notes of the final refrain of the main theme, as Liszt had intended. That results in a blurred fusion of the two sections of the piece linked by the cadenza and results in a complete dissipation of all of the drama that was created in the section before the cadenza. Also, I don’t know if your edition is different from mine, but in the second chord of measure 77, you’re playing the bottom note as a G flat. But my edition (and any recording I’ve ever heard of this piece) indicates that it’s a G. Otherwise your performance was well done!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: PhilzPiano] #2739474
05/25/18 05:00 PM
05/25/18 05:00 PM
G
GoldmanT Offline
GoldmanT  Offline
G
Originally Posted by PhilzPiano

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres - I'm not familiar with the piece, but I really enjoyed hearing it. I thought your pedal control was just right.

Thanks for this comment, and everyone else who said nice things. The bit in bold, I'm quite careful with how I pedal Debussy, there are usually implicit clues in the sheet music, and the important bit is often when you lift up the pedal rather than when you're pushing it down.

I haven't had the time to feedback on (or even listen to!) the entries this month, but I'll feedback on all of the submissions to the Debussy recital as he's kind of my guy for this year.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739526
05/25/18 08:27 PM
05/25/18 08:27 PM
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber
35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light Love this piece, has spots that sound hymn like in a full of awe way.

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement This was great! Congrats on your exams.

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor Well done, sounds like a fun etude. And, welcome to the recitals!

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 A beautiful piece, beautifully played. My deepest condolences on the loss of your brother.

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor Really enjoyed this - I do like a waltz. Good job on the ornaments.

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe? Absolutey NOT boring, you took this in some very interesting and intriguing directions.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 Wow, that was amazing!

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4 Really loved listening to this.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice A great fun piece, well done!

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 Such a beautiful melancholy piece, your playing was sensitive and expressive.

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1 I love this piece, and someday will learn it. Beautifully played.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739638
05/26/18 01:20 PM
05/26/18 01:20 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement nice playing and enjoyable listening to this classic piece. Super authentic sound and dynamic touch, impressive .

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor Well done, especially for a first.

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 Somber and moving piece ,, this would seem to be a hard piece to get “just right” It conveys an sad ambient feelc …hard to capture .

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor What a beautifully played piano piece. Great recording and piano sound!

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe? Well I liked your description of this piece, it is humorous.
and the dainty sound of this playing-gentle yet heavy reverb. -Interesting passage.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 WOW very professional recording and playing , dramatic and exquisite touch ., Enjoyable listening to this classic piece!

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4 Cool tune almost jazz like and well played. Bet the fingering was a challenge to learn , would be for me !!!

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice Nice little piece. Well played

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 beautifully played and dynamic touch to this somber piece. Gentle and moving. Enjoyed the listening.

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1 Well played piece and great sound to the recording .Enjoyed the listening.

46. Roger Ransom - Stardust realyy professional sound to this recording and playing , enjoyable to listen to and the running passages were executed perfectly!

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3 really nice touch and rich bass sound . Enjoyed the listen ! Nice piano too!

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor well played light piece. Enjoyed the listening. Impressive acoustic piano recording

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen this didn’t play or download in my browser but will try again soon…..

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739684
05/26/18 05:09 PM
05/26/18 05:09 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
81. dinahp18 - Invention 13: This Bach invention appeals more to me than most of the others; it seems more melodic and tells more of a story, for want of a better phrase. Again I am impressed by you (and anybody else) who is able to articulate all those voices at that nonstop pace.

82. Zilthy - Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits): I haven’t seen Avengers Infinity, but if it has a rather solemn ending with a mood of ominous forebodings, your cover has captured it well. (And if it had a happy, slapstick ending, well, my bad!).

83. noobpianist90 - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3: I loved your dynamics in the section from 2:06-2:33–how you crescendoed up to FFF and then those chromatic chords downwards to pp. Excellent performance!

84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement: You play this sonata so joyfully! Maybe the digital piano is “bouncy”, but for this piece, bouncy works. I enjoyed listening to this.

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1: I need to thank you (and, I suppose, Rach3master by extension!) for introducing me to this composer. This is a lovely prelude indeed, and you play it with your usual grace and expressiveness.

86. Allysia (PianoTV) - Variations on Land of the Silver Birch: First, I must thank you for being such a good ambassador and introducing new people to AB Forum! I must also thank you for introducing me to a new composer. I really enjoyed the different themes that were present in this piece and thought you did a great job of capturing the “wild and exuberant” nature of it, especially that loud and emphatic glissando at the end!

87. Ken. - Boo Boo's Birthday: This nice jazzy piece almost has a bit of a ragtime feel, I think. I like how play all those repeated chords so sharply and distinctly. My only complaint is that it was too short!

88. briangmoore - Menuet, French Suite #2, Bach: I’m glad you submitted this, even if you thought it still had “glaring problems” (which were not at all glaring to me...). I was impressed by how evenly you pulled off those long trills at about the 0:50 and 1:22 marks!

89. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major: I usually only have the time to listen to the quarterly recitals; thus, I missed your playing of this in the waltzes e-cital. So I’m glad you submitted it here, because this is such an excellent performance. I’m impressed by your technical skills!

90. Whizbang (Chris) - Pastime Rag #2: This was a lot of fun to listen to, and I’m guessing it was as much, if not more, fun to play. I especially liked the section starting around 1:23-2:10; that was one catchy melody!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739695
05/26/18 05:47 PM
05/26/18 05:47 PM
UK
P
PhilzPiano Offline
PhilzPiano  Offline
P
UK
21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) - Lovely to hear a duet in the recital. Nice mellow piece - very enjoyable to listen to.

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 - Lovely piece well played. Always play straight through without editing - it's the best practice possible for your charity recital! Great performance.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) - What a fabulous piece! Brilliant playing. I thought the speed and touch were just right. Wish I could play it!

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) - A terrifically dramatic piece and you captured it beautifully. I would imagine the pedal was tricky to control. A recording to be proud of!

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro - A wonderful performance, especially for just 18 months experience. Well done.

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 - Loved your playing. It's also really good to see younger people joining the forum. Well done.

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 - I always think with Bach that the most important things are timing and evenness of playing. You played very well indeed.

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) - This is one of my favourite pieces as well. (I'm not good enough to play it though!) Sounded great. Well done.

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" - Some great playing here - especially the fast bits near the end. Great performance.

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now - Really good arrangement of this well known song. Some real passion in the playing too.

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green - Very relaxing performance. Very enjoyable. Well done.

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton) - Great arrangement - we obviously have some very talented people on this forum. Loved your playing too.

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline - I was always a secret Clayderman fan! Great recording - well done.

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I - Great performance and I hope you make a swift recovery from your hip surgery!

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light - It's good to play music that has personal links - it always makes the playing more emotional. Sounded great.

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement - A difficult piece played very well! I'm glad the exam result was good.

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor - Really nice piece. I thought you played it really well.

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 - So sorry to hear about your brother. I'm sure he would have appreciated this performance. Well done.

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor - I love this piece too. I gather Chopin reluctantly started writing waltzes due to crowd pressure! Very well played.

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe? - What I love about these recitals is the variety of the submissions! I found this piece strangely haunting. Playing was great.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 - A serious performance of a serious piece. Loved it.

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4 - I love this style of playing. Great performance.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice - Nice, even playing. Well done. Nice piano too!

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 - This is a tricky piece - I know because I tried recording it myself a while back! I thought you captured the atmosphere of the piece beautifully.

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1 - I wish I could record in a single take! Loved your playing.

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3 - I love the Satie pieces, but they are surprisingly difficult to play well. I think your rendition is exceptional given your 1 year experience. Well done.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor - Sounded great to me. Even and flowing. Very enjoyable.

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen - I'm not familiar with this piece, but I really enjoyed hearing it.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 - Lovely piece, well played. Please post your Fantasie in F minor on the forum when you have finished it! I would love to hear it and to hear how you went about recording it. It's one of my all time favourite piano pieces.

Kawai CA67
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739721
05/26/18 08:18 PM
05/26/18 08:18 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
49. Richard (zrtf90) - StaendchenI know this piece is callegning,9Itried it and gave up) you played this very well. Nice recording authentic sound. Quite a long piece to sustain too! Nice listening experience.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 Great dynamics and sound to this piece ,well played also . Enjoyed the listening experience.

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major I love Bach, nice inflection and touch. Enjoyed the beautiful playing and fine trills.

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6 seems to be somber and abstract piece. Nice listening experience. Well played, nice and even touch .

53. FrankieC - Reverie Professionanl sounding recording, well played with a haunting open air feel to this piece. Really a moving piece and executed well. Impressive, superb actually because of how emotive the piece wasp played.!

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano nice listening experience

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart moving piece and dynamics were exact and effective , Authentic piano recording sound .

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour beatufil sound and playing , very emotional dynamics, -recorded well. !

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List Good playing !

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466 nIce detailed touch of this delicately phrased piece. Good recording nut seemed a low volume.

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement Beatuiful piece well played!

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35 Steady moving motif to this and enjoyable listening experience. Solid warm recording

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739760
05/27/18 01:32 AM
05/27/18 01:32 AM
India
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
India
41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244
Fantastic! I enjoyed this performance very much. Beautiful sounding piano and very professionally recorded.
I have heard this piece before but not as much as the 2nd, 6th, 10th and 14th rhapsodies. I didn't pay particular attention to this piece before, but it's quite a bit different from the other rhapsodies. Very Interesting...

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4
Very well played! This is new music for me, it sounds very unique. I had no idea that Gulda composed. I have his collection of Beethoven sonatas which I enjoy listening to very much.
I liked this very much. Nice Jazz feel to it. Sounds very hard to pull off convincingly.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice
Nicely done! You're off to a great start on your piano journey. You're piano also sounds really nice! That smile at the end of the video shows how much your enjoying the music. Keep up the good work smile

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 (to do)
This is a subtly challenging piece. I think you played it well overall. The notes are all correct and the tempo is decent.
I have a few suggestions, in case you continue to work on this piece.
I notice that you occasionally give a slight pause when the chord of the accompaniment changes. I think the music would flow more naturally if the accompaniment was more uniform. Also, I think that the dynamics with which you played it is not entirely what is marked in the sheet (at least not in my edition). While I'm not generally pedantic about these things, I think this piece sounds fantastic when played exactly as notated. Also, I would probably go easy the rubato a bit and slightly increase the overall tempo.
I think you're almost there. With a bit more practice, I think you could play this at a professional level. Good luck smile

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1
Beautifully played! That too in a single take. Makes me want to sit and try playing this right now!
I couldn't really make out which notes were too loud and which were too soft. I thought it sounded pretty even and smooth.
The black and white video was also a nice touch.

46. Roger Ransom - Stardust
Very nice! I was expecting a great performance when I saw how much experience you have, and I wasn't disappointed.
Very smooth and flowing performance. I enjoyed it a lot! The sound of your piano is well suited for the jazz harmonies of this piece.

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3
It seems to me this is a calm, reflective, introspective piece. Not very flashy, but very beautiful. I think you played it very well. Those constant leaps look hard to pull off evenly. I also loved the sound of your piano. Well suited to the mood of this piece.
I'm not all that familiar with the music of Satie. I've listened to the first Gymnopedie since (as you pointed out), it is the most commonly played one, but not much else. I really ought to listen to more of Satie.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor
Very nice! This is one of my favourites of Chopin's Waltzes. Excellent choice of tempo and very confidently played.
The melody was very nicely done. Smooth, flowing and well articulated. Regarding the accompaniment, the first beat was as it should be, I think, but the second and third beats of the accompaniment could have been a bit more subdued. Maybe that's just the recording.
I quite enjoyed it overall. Well done smile

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen
This is just beautiful! I loved every second of it. Nice soaring, singing melody, and a calm and even accompaniment. It sounds challenging, and you played it very well. The heaviness towards the end was brilliantly done.
Although this is a new piece to me, it does sound hauntingly familiar. I can't place where I might have heard this before. Maybe in a movie or TV show maybe.
I like the sound of your piano as well. Is it a digital? I can't really tell.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3
You played it very well! Your piano also sounds really nice! I also liked your overall choice of tempo. Most performances of this piece are too fast.
The way you played bar 9 was fantastic. I struggled with that part so much when I tried to learn it that I was forced to set it aside grin
I did notice one thing though. According to the sheet music I referred to (from imslp), In bar 3, the first eighth note should be staccato and the next two sixteenth notes should be legato and then the next two eighth notes should be staccato again.
You played it as notated in bar 3, but then when this section repeats, say in bars 5, 11, 13, etc. you play it more or less legato. Is this an interpretive choice? Just curious. It definitely didn't take anything away from the performance overall.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2739854
05/27/18 01:09 PM
05/27/18 01:09 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Mokica K., MarieJ, JoBert, Sam S., piano_primo_1,akc42 , outo, Ael M., bSharp(C)yclist thanks for the compliments!

SwissMS, thanks, one of the point my teacher seems to repeat every lesson is : right hand more prominent! Glad that it works

MeganR Glad to hear that and looking forward to your version of Couperin!

peterws, yes you're right, it should be played on harpsichord (clavecin). Regarding the trills, you like them more evenly spaced, or do you mean something else with "tighter"?

FrankieC, thanks! Yes almost no pedal, I think I use a little pedal on a few measures to glue them together.

Ralphiano , Thank you! interesting, I consider this piece as quite easy to listen to rather than compiicated - pretty straightforward harmonies, clear melody, and rondeau form. What makes it so difficult for you?

noobpianist90 Thanks! Couperin says "tendrement, sans lenteur" (tender, without dragging). Also the reeds should be weaving gracefully with the wind, not nervous. So I took it at moderate speed.

cmb13, Probably your impression was of Couperin being a man full of life and ambition was right!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart and Virtuosity
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 12:58 PM
CLP-685 CLP-675 buying advice
by Janerik. 08/18/18 12:11 PM
Kawai GE30 vs Kawai GL10
by Katieji. 08/18/18 10:53 AM
Piano shopping in Montreal Ca.
by Tweedpipe. 08/18/18 09:49 AM
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 08:44 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,941
Posts2,739,621
Members90,794
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission