Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
82 registered members (Andrew_G, ahinton, Alex C, Beemer, AprilE, 90125, Artur Gajewski, 17 invisible), 885 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2737955
05/19/18 10:59 AM
05/19/18 10:59 AM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
81. dinahp18 - Invention 13 I know I always say this, but oh how I adore Bach. You did very well with this invention, nice articulation and voicing, and indeed an accomplishment to have memorized.

82. Zilthy - Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits) Very cool, impressed that you transcribed it yourself!

83. noobpianist90 - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3 A lovely nocturne, beautifully played. I agree, the B section is a gem.

84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement Wonderful! Ornamentation was so great.

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1 Gorgeous, just gorgeous what a treat.

86. Allysia (PianoTV) - Variations on Land of the Silver Birch I wasn't familiar with this composer, but really loved this piece. Very evocative of nature's beauty in all its variety.

87. Ken. - Boo Boo's Birthday Great job with this - loved the dissonances regardless of "source"

88. briangmoore - Menuet, French Suite #2, Bach Trills were a dream, this piece sounds difficult (as per usual with Bach)

89. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major Really a wonderful performance of this beautiful nocturne.

90. Whizbang (Chris) - Pastime Rag #2 What fun! Loved the piece, the playing and the claps!!!

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2737983
05/19/18 01:00 PM
05/19/18 01:00 PM
Maine
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
1. TeddyJ- I can't offer any real feedback except to say, "Good for you." This is way over your head but I totally understand your desire to play it. (And you are obviously VERY talented.) I hope you will keep working it as you say and perhaps post it again in a year so we can hear how you are doing.

49. ZRTF90- Some years back I learned the simpler version of this and like you desired to learn the full transcription only, unlike you, I found it to be more than I could handle. At least no where near as nicely as you do. (Although I can see how this is the bare bones still to be polished). I hope you do submit it again when finished.

53. FrankieC- Beautifully played. Can't add much more than that....(except the piano and recording is superb and that Kawai Rx-6 is one heck of a grand.)

Last edited by Peyton; 05/19/18 01:04 PM.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2737985
05/19/18 01:12 PM
05/19/18 01:12 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

Here’s another batch of comments...and admittedly I’m moving very slowly through all of the wonderful submissions this time.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
Beautiful! I think you’re doing great with this piece! Very impressive. And I think it will be perfect when you’re able to bring it up in tempo a bit. Bravo!

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1
I think you’ve done a darned good job with this piece, given that you studied it by yourself. Well done.

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508
Well done—especially considering how long you’ve been playing.

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) Just beautiful, Cheryl. Your performance was lovely and delicate. Great job!

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land"
Wow. You did a great job with this, considering how long you’ve been playing. The part at the end which sounds more improvisational (although I don’t know if it actually is) needs work, as the timing is a bit off. But really good work overall!

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I
Very good, Marilyn! And you performance was all the more impressive, given your post-operative status. You sound like a real trooper for your even thinking about this recital, let alone submitting a piece for it, just a couple weeks following hip replacement surgery! Hope you’re recuperating nicely.

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement
Wow! That is one tough sonata of Mozart’s, and you did great with its first movement! Congratulations! Very impressive job.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: noobpianist90] #2738014
05/19/18 03:55 PM
05/19/18 03:55 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted by noobpianist90

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title)

...I just had a question, why did you play that last bit with the left hand? Wouldn't it have been easier to play it with the right hand?

I tried playing it with the right hand at first, noobpianist90. But I couldn't make the jump fast enough, so there was always a long, distracting hesitation. Using the left hand allowed me to winnow it down to a shorter, less distracting hesitation. laugh

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738015
05/19/18 03:57 PM
05/19/18 03:57 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Just got back from holiday and see I'm way behind smile I hope to catch up in the coming long weekend.

Recitalists, please give me a PM if you have an acoustic or decent sounding DP and want me to comment on your piece.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738021
05/19/18 04:14 PM
05/19/18 04:14 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Italy
Work has kept me at the computer more than I like this week - but not doing what I really wanted to be doing, (which was to be here, listening to the recital!) -- but finally, I finished a big project and am now enjoying my just reward!

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 I loved your performance. It was moving, thrilling, uplifting. I could listen to you play all day. Thank you so much for this treat!

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 Charming! I have the book for Op 36 and I've looked at this a few times but haven't felt up to tackling it, except for the second movement. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play it. I appreciate your meticulous attention to the style and legato/staccato. There's a very sweet "music box" aura to the first movement in some parts that just delights me. The second movement is like a very formal 17thC dance in elegant gowns, and the third perhaps a marionette show? Yes, there were a few hesitations and flubs, but it was nonetheless very enjoyable. Looking forward to your next recital submission!

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) It's a bit bizzare, but this is actually the third time I've heard this piece today! Once from an earlier recital submission, once out with friends for our monthly Performance Anxiety group meet up, and now again as I am heading into the end of my day. Your performance washed over me like a wave of peace and joy. Loved the low growly bits and the emotional soaring in the higher register. You really brought out everything we could want from this piece. Thank you!

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres Well, I don't know the piece and didn't notice any errors! And I think you're wise to go with which performance is better overall - maybe a wrong note or two, but a better version.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill Peter! What a blast! That was so much fun - and it sounded like you were having fun playing it. I was bobbing along in my chair while listening - what an up-beat treat. Loved it!

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido I think I heard this for the first time sometime in the past year. What a gorgeous piece of music. Your performance convinces me,that it is indeed a musical eulogy to Chopin. This is where I stopped listening a few days ago, so I could go to sleep with this music lingering in my mind.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 I know there's a lot I don't know about Schumann, but I am willing to learn, and delighted to learn about this particular Opus. This is wonderful music and you brought out a charming delicacy throughout the piece. You made me want to explore this opus and see what other gems might be in it. I liked the surprise forte bits too! Lovely performance!

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing I'd been wondering when there would be another Message from Space! ( I had trouble watching the video with the movement of the drone over you playing, but the listening was good!) --- I enjoy these pieces because they are a bit quirky but not too far out in left field (yet they're out in Space!... sounds like something the Doctor might have to explain).... I enjoyed the rumble of the underlying bass, while the higher register seemed to me a message of hope and good faith. And I love the pings. Beautiful music Peyton!

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande I've had similar heart-pounding, hand-shaking reactions to the red dot. One solution is to record yourself regularly - at least once a week, if not more. You get used to it. You may not get over it 100%, but it definitely decreases. That being said: your performance is a delight to listen to. Nice ornament work, good steady pace, good balance left and right hand, great attention to the details of legato and staccato --- but most importantly all those details combined for a very pleasurable listen.

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) Mello indeed! What a lovely composition, and what a treat to have a duet. You two make a wonderful combo. Sam, you've done five more recitals than I have, and you two have been married five more years than we have! (Just thought I'd bive you some more statistics!). Thanks for this delightful contribution to the 50th !

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 These songs without words are charming, and this one is no exception. Your performance inspires me to look for one that's within my grasp. Loved your performance. Thank you.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) Wow. What a fabulous piece of music. It must be great fun to play. It certainly feels like there is a story going on here. There's certainly a lot of work and dedication behind the gorgeous dramatic performance. The shift at about 2min is a soothing contrast, still in story mode, but maybe this is the romantic part! An exhilarating finale! Simply marvellous!

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) I've been a GoT fan for a few years, (read all the books, I've seen all the shows)... and I just love the music. It's really fun to hear you play something that's a bit different - bolder and fiercer than what you typically play. Positively thrilling, and your piano has a very sexy voice in this genre. Splendid, simply splendid. Loved the higher octave bit too - it makes a great contrast. One of the great things in the tv show is how they play with the music to make it fit different scenes and story lines. I absolutely loved this performance! Well done indeed Monica!

And on that note (pun fully intended), I'm off to the land of Nod.

Thank you everyone who worked so hard for so long to learn and play these wonderful pieces.

[Linked Image]

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738026
05/19/18 04:26 PM
05/19/18 04:26 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Today, I was able to listen to all the remaining pieces. What a recital!

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart Thanks for playing this. As a 3 yr pianist, I am always looking for compositions within my reach. I have not yet tried any Rollins pieces. This one is very nice. That sounds like great advice you received. And, that sounds like SamS' piano, as well! I enjoyed listening.

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour Nice playing. I am only recently learning how nice song written for voice can sound on piano. I liked this one.

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List I have yet to see the movie. This performance was nice. You never got the right and left out of balance. Listening was a very smooth and soothing experience.

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466 I have only done one Scarlatti piece, and it beat me down. It required a lot. I had to move on before getting it to sound the way it should. I appreciate your work on this. Well done!

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement This is lovely. You played well. I note your choice of piano, especially the Steingraeber part. I think I remember an older thread here where you chronicled the purchase of a different grand. Have you switched pianos? Is the purchase of the new piano chronicled in any threads here on PW? I'd enjoy reading about it. How is the Steingraeber keybed? Most of all, it's nice to hear you back in the recitals!

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35 Very steady. And, not rushed. Listening was very relaxing. Well done!

61. Keselo - Quasi Adagio That's an interesting piece, I can see why you were attracted to it. I think you played it well, and made it a pleasing listen.

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32 This is such an interesting piece. It will be nice to hear future updates as you develop and polish it.

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered I am not a jazz fan, but I like excellence. It seems like everything here was under control and presented just as you envisioned it. It sounded nice.

64. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" My ear is not developed enough to even recognize some of the variations as variations. I cannot imagine how one might memorize them. An interesting choice, and, a nice performance.

65. xyzzy - Dreamsville This doesn't sound like an easy piece. Were you playing from a score, or, from your ear/memory? It sounds like there is a lot of potential to make this piece into something special. Good work, and nice to hear you play.

66. Sara_M - "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song You are doing very well for having only 10 months invested so far. No doubt, you will see a lot of nice progress in your near future. You played well.

67. SandTiger - Into the Meadow This seemed a lot more melodic than what I remember from your past recital pieces. I especially liked first half. The grace notes in the left hand gave it a Scottish, droning, bagpipe character, which I missed in the second half when the grace notes shifted to the right hand. I am not sure what, if anything there is to do about it, though. All in all, it is an interesting and nice composition and performance.

68. Moo smile - Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1 I think I will want to play this when my own skills and abilities permit. I don't know if this is helpful, but it seems to me that the left hand melody, especially in the upper ranges is sweet and pretty, and could use some softer dynamics in order to allow that character to come out.

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie That's a nice performance for just a couple years of experience. I'm surprised that you have a more favorable dynamics experience on your digital than on your acoustic. I am often disappointed with my digital's response to my efforts to play p, pp, or ppp. You have made a lot of progress, well done!

AND NOW, my reward! Two of my favorite pieces, in very capable hands!:

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen I have been mesmerized by this piece for the last 7 months, and the Buniatishvili performance is, by far, my most frequent YouTube selection over that time. I really appreciate the way you have kept it so melodic and not turned it into a piano-gymnnastic event. It was written for voice, and your playing has preserved that vocal quality. This is simply beautiful. Thank you.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 I love this piece. It is number 10 within the list of recorded performances that came stored in my Casio Privia. It never grows old. It is so easy when I walk past the piano, to punch in 10 and instantly have a musical moment with Schubert!
I am sometimes captive to my first impression, and, the Casio being my first, predisposes me to desire a more sprightly and quick version. But, your chosen tempo has really revealed a singing quality that doesn't appear in the frolicking, rollicking quick version I have become used to. I really, really liked your performance. Outstanding!

This concludes my commentary on these 100, great recital submissions. I have to say to all the new recital participants, it has been wonderful to hear you play, to read your stories, and to know just how many others are on this same, rewarding journey. I hope this recital experience has been pleasing to you, and, that you continue to participate in the future.

And, to Monica K. and SamS, Mr. Super-Hunky, Frank Baxter, and all the others who have put so much of themselves into the hard work of making these recitals available and special, a wholly inadequate Thank You is all I can offer. The rest of us are deeply indebted, and infinitely fortunate!

This was a great recital!

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738049
05/19/18 05:47 PM
05/19/18 05:47 PM
Midwest US
E
ElaineAllegro Offline

Silver Subscriber
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
This is an amazing 100 pieces recital! We would have needed several intermissions and afternoon tea if we performed this live.

I'll start off commenting by composer - not sure how far I will get. If you find my comments helpful, and I haven't gotten to yours yet, please PM me and I'll listen to your piece. (Although some others on this forum are able to get into a lot more depth.) Per the statistics Sam_S helpfully compiled, there are 13 Chopin pieces. I hope I've found them all; if I missed one, please PM me.

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23, Chopin (Excerpt)
This is definitely an over-ambitious undertaking – but I understand this impulse. It will work out best in the end, with a good teacher, but at least very careful attention to a mix of high quality online videos – and a side trip to some easier pieces and studies that will build up your technique. I’ve found Josh Wright’s tutorials very helpful; here’s the link to his tutorial on this Ballade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejEuXr9pqo My technical two cents (please excuse if I repeat anything that others have already noted): The Moderato section would benefit from bringing out the melody while substantially quieting the LH and the inner voices of the RH. The notes with staccato symbols plus a tie in RH and LH should be played portato, closer to how non-legato is played in Bach – held a bit longer than staccato but not connected, and played softly as accompaniment, so the melody comes out. I felt you really got into it and more comfortable with the piece in the Agitato section. I hope you come back for more recitals so we can hear your progress.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18, Chopin
You have lovely technique (per the video) to match your lovely piano! Yes, there is more that could be done but given the short time frame, you turned in a performance you should be proud of. You did a great job of voicing the melody line throughout. My main suggestion is a little more attention to bringing out longer phrases or melody lines (beyond the phrasing within a measure or two that is marked in the score) in the opening section and wherever that repeats, with some tiny strategic pauses or breaths, maybe a little breath between the half note and 8th notes in measure 8 and similar measures. Looking forward to hearing more.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" - Chopin I always enjoy listening to you and watching your calm hands, even as they bring out the storm and its aftermath. You made great use of the Bosendorfer bass to bring out the melody in the sotto voce section. You’ve conveyed a lot of emotion in this piece, from the rubato in the octave section to the slow clarity of m. 82-83, which create a sense of anticipation. Excellent!

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19, Chopin (B 150) I watched the video – a double artistic treat to see your own excellent paintings and hear the quality of your playing in this piece. You’ve definitely mastered this, and clearly convey the emotions behind this! Lovely! (What’s next in your list of longed-for pieces?)

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor, Chopin Also watched your video – same piece that Cheryl played (above). But you each conveyed a different sensibility with this piece. Also beautifully played, very clear ornaments and good use of rubato. I would not have imagined you have been playing less than 2 years!

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4, Chopin This piece is a deceptively simple looking, but a real challenge to sustain the melody over a subtly shifting bass. I think you did an excellent job with this – very enjoyable to listen to.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor, Chopin A lovely waltz, and the sound from your August Forster adds nicely to the atmosphere. I think it takes a lot to keep going consistently through this piece’s multiple repeats, but you kept the concentration. If you decide to continue on with this piece, you can add to the atmospherics by muting the LH to allow the RH melody to sing more, and tapering the sound within the RH phrases even more, so it sort of dies off at the end of each marked phrase.

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6, Chopin Very nice. You did a great job of bringing out the LH melody very clearly; good dynamics and phrasing. This was an enjoyable gem.

73. squidbot (Chris) - Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1, Chopin I can’t believe you have been playing for only 2 years! I found this a very challenging mazurka during my mazurka-fest period last year. Yes, you had some hesitations in the main section, but you did an especially effective job in the sotto voce section. A few suggestions (but your teacher’s comments take precedence, so ignore mine if they contradict): You can stretch time, so take more time with the ornaments so every note is very clear. Make sure the audience hears the brief RH rests, which add syncopation to the piece. I started out raising my hands from the keyboard during each rest to make sure they were embedded in my mind when first learning this. To better reach the last chord, and make more of an impact: add a slight pause before the last (fz) chord, and make sure your hands are in the right place and you can really lean into it. I hope your recital goes well.

83. noobpianist90 - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3, Chopin I loved reading your thoughtful analysis of this piece. I don’t recall ever hearing this Nocturne before. Your playing is very well-thought-out and I am impressed that it is all self-taught! The ideas you described, such as bringing out the upper and lower melodies in the religioso section, were very effective. So beautifully done!

89. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major, Chopin Well, four years after you recorded this, it continues to be a lovely performance by a clearly experienced player: technically excellent and emotionally convincing. Looking forward to hearing the piece that wasn’t ready to submit.

94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp" - Chopin Thank you for coming over from Pianists Corner to share your talents here! This is an apparently effortless (from the video), gorgeous, flowing performance – great voicing and, well, you know it’s awesome! I really enjoyed listening.

95. Pathbreaker - Prelude in E Major, Chopin Very nice. The timing of the 16th and 32nd notes in this piece is tricky, but you seem to have that down. Kudos especially on smoothly fitting in the LH trills. Your work with your teacher has clearly paid off. I hope you’ll share with us the other Chopin piece you’re working on.

More later -- gotta practice!

Schubert, Moments Musicaux & Impromptu Op 90 No 2; Dvorak, Dumka & Furiante Op 12; Bach Inventions #2, 3, 4, 15; Haydn Trio XV:25 (Gypsy Rondo); Frank Bridge, Miniatures, Romance (trio)
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Ralphiano] #2738062
05/19/18 06:18 PM
05/19/18 06:18 PM
Midwest US
E
ElaineAllegro Offline

Silver Subscriber
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
Thank you so much to everyone who has commented on my piece so far (#59, the 3rd version of Beethoven Opus 13, 2nd movement, submitted to this recital). I really appreciate your time and thoughtfulness. 3hearts

Ralphiano, good to hear from you!
59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement This is lovely. You played well. I note your choice of piano, especially the Steingraeber part. I think I remember an older thread here where you chronicled the purchase of a different grand. Have you switched pianos? Is the purchase of the new piano chronicled in any threads here on PW? I'd enjoy reading about it. How is the Steingraeber keybed? Most of all, it's nice to hear you back in the recitals!

I've done two switches of piano in the past 4-5 years:

1. First came the Yamaha U1 (or similar model) that I bought a few days before my first child was born, in a sudden panic that one should not raise a child in a house without a piano. I didn't play at all from freshman year of college until after my children stopped lessons and the piano was just sitting there, forlorn.

2. I needed a grand. My new teacher insisted. I ended up with a Steinberg IQ 55 that a visiting professor was selling when moving back to his/her home country. (You have a Stein-what? Don't you mean Stein-WAY?) I loved the European sound quality. That piano had a very hard action that was a challenge to play, but really helped me develop finger and arm strength.

3. After a year or so, I decided I wanted/needed a better sounding piano with a more compatible action. That led to the Steingraeber A170, the smallest in their grand piano series. (You bought a Stein-what? Don't you mean Stein-WAY?) I chronicled part of the purchase experience in the Piano Forum. (I left out the scary part about having it delivered during a terrible snowstorm.) The Phoenix system sound is awesome; even at just 170 cm, with the top up, it can provide overpowering (but lovely) sound several rooms away. The carbon-fiber soundboard seems to be fine (different looking, and less subject to the effect of our wide variations in humidity). I was nervous about committing to that at first, since I don't know anyone else who has one. The keybed is fine - a good depth and can be further controlled by some screws which the tuner knows how to find and I'm not even going to try. In fact, the keybed was one of the problems I had with the Steinberg, which I had worked on but never quite seemed even from top to bottom, so this was a relief. Lovely piano. If you're ever in Chicago, come join us for a piano group.

(Maybe should have pm'd this - sorry for so much off topic, folks.)

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738069
05/19/18 06:57 PM
05/19/18 06:57 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton): I’ve never seen Hamilton or listened to the soundtrack, I’m embarrassed to admit. I thought it was mostly hip-hop and wasn’t expecting such a lovely song. Your arrangement is terrific, and wonderfully played.

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline: Every time I hear this piece I tell myself I need to add it to my “to be learned” pile. Your backing track gives it a more languid feel and a different flair. I enjoyed it!

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I: I’m amazed you were able to play so well and make a recording at only 15 days post-hip replacement! You sure couldn’t tell that from your playing, which sounded easy and confident. I’m not vary familiar with that piece, so the tempo sounded fine as is to me. smile I wish you a quick and total recovery. Everybody I know who has had a hip replacement says they wish they had done it much sooner.

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light: I’ve got a couple of albums of Preisner’s music, but I wasn’t familiar with this piece. This is more melodic and song-like than much of his music, and you play it well with emotion. It makes me want to see the movie. smile

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement: Extremely impressive performance! You played all those grace notes so cleanly, and I admired your control over the dynamics of the piece.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: xyzzyFL] #2738071
05/19/18 07:05 PM
05/19/18 07:05 PM
K
Ken. Offline
Ken.  Offline
K

Originally Posted by xyzzyFL
Originally Posted by Ken.
65. xyzzy - Dreamsville
Nicely played. I'd love to get the sheet music for that. Would you know where I might be able to get that particular arrangement?

Thanks, Ken. Here's a link to the sheet music I used.

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0158384

Thank you xyzzy.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738075
05/19/18 07:21 PM
05/19/18 07:21 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida

68. Moo smile - Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1
Moo, that was wonderful. Thanks for providing the score. Looks like a real challenge to play all of those arpeggios smoothly, because they pass from one hand to the other. It's hard for me to keep from playing one hand louder than the other, but you seem to have mastered it. Also, you do an excellent job of bringing out the melody. Well done.

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie
A lovely piece, played superbly. Your control sounds excellent to me.

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
What a beautiful piece, lyrical and flowing, with a serene and peaceful feeling. Well done.

71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow
What a gorgeous arrangement! Shearing really pulled out all the stops here. I love the reharmonizations and the chromatic bass lines, especially in the bridge. No doubt this is a real challenge to perform, but you played it perfectly, with control and with feeling. Well done. I hope you contribute more like this!

72. JustinDAggie - Liebestraum Number 3
Whoa, Justin, that was exquisite! A timeless masterpiece, played with exceptional skill and feeling. I loved every minute of it. Well done.

75. Kalos Piano - Sarabande HWV 437 N. 4
Kalos, that was superb. Very stately, majestic, dignified. I have always loved this piece, and thought your execution was spot on. Well done.

78. Fouyaut - Sonata K332 - Allegro
Fouyaut, that was extraordinary! I especially liked the intenst parts. Your left hand work is remarkable, especially in the fast passages where both hands are playing in unison. Well done!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738078
05/19/18 07:40 PM
05/19/18 07:40 PM
M
Micael K. Offline
Micael K.  Offline
M

Here are a few which I have taken mostly from the list dddaaannn compiled for people which didn't had feedback yet. It's been a realy nice evening listening to all of you!

41 Michael K., Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 (Franz Liszt)
Only one word: WOW! (what else could I say.. other than we almost have the same name, maybe someday I will be able to play like you!)

43 Tootles, The Carnival of Venice (Traditional arr by Faber)
I am very impressed for 5 months, we can tell that you have previous experience as a musician. I did see your clarinet duos on youtube, which I enjoyed a lot! For some reason using the pedal for me is very natural, except when what I naturally do is not right then I really understand what you mean it's really hard to think about left hand, right hand, tempo, pedal, voicing, etc.. all at the same time.

56 Serge88, La Maladie d'Amour (Lyricist: M.Sardou/Composer: J.Revaux)
Perfect, nothing to add!

61 Keselo, Quasi Adagio (Bela Bartok)
I really enjoyed and I think you are right about this being conservative and being easier to listen. I remember the first time I heard Bartok was when my brother bought one of his CD for my father's birthday. The second he pressed the play button I literally flew off the house, I just couldn't stand that music. I was really young back then and never really showed any interest to Bartok but after listenening to this I may give it a second try! From what I can read in your comments he is your favourite composer, would you mind sharing a few of your favourites pieces?

66 Sara_M, "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song (Bartok)
Really great! dynamic control will come with time don't worry I think you did a good job there. The lyrics translation really remind me of our current situation here, we are still waiting for the sun he is very late this year!

69 h8dk97, Kleine Studie (Robert Schumann)
Very nice sounding, I can hear the nuances so good job there! Playing pianissimo is never easy, especially if you have an upright (The description doesn't say what piano you have).

71 Davidonabus, Over The Rainbow (George Shearing)
I really like that piece, Well done! I can see what you say with voicing, there are a lot of nuances.

80 dddaaannn, Sonatina in A Minor, op. 214, no. 4 (Cornelius Gurlitt)
Hey dddaaannn, I couldn't go through your compiled list without actually listening to you! Maybe

82 Zilthy, Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits) (Alan Silvestri)
You got that by ear after 5 months? Wow that is absolutly amazing I couldn't even dream of getting half of that! Do you have other musical background?

84 mel_lem (Melanie), Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement (Joseph Haydn)
I agree with this piece being "joyful and cheery" and this is exactly what I was thinking before even reading your comments! I think your digital piano give it a "fun touch" and doesnt sound jumpy but this is probably because I didn't hear you play on a real piano! You look very technically accomplished!

85 PikaPianist, Prelude Op. 6, No.1 (Bortkiewicz)
What a haunting melody! It is the first time I hear about Bortkiewicz but I will definately go listen to more of his compositions. By the way your dark video fits just perfectly with that melody! Superd playing! And that crescendo at about 2minutes.. wow! Honestly, that is my favourite recital piece so far.. just soooo great! wow!

90 Whizbang (Chris), Pastime Rag #2 (Artie Matthews)
Really nice! I am just about done finishing my first ever rag (the entertainer). You really seem like an experience ragtime player and I hope you will provide me some feedback on the next recital because that will probably be what I will be presenting!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738099
05/19/18 10:30 PM
05/19/18 10:30 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) Sam and Laurie, how rewarding to be able to do this together - it doubles the pleasure, but more than doubles the difficulty. Mistakes? What mistakes? That was pure delight.

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 Played with great feeling and expressive dynamics - what a lovely piece.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) You really showed off Pianoteq’s capabilities with this one. A superb performance - Bravo!

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) Despite reading the books I’ve never watched GoT, but with a theme as dramatic and beautiful as that, I’d better make a start. Your playing just goes from strength to strength, Monica. So congratulations, you’ve done it again - blown me away! smile

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro Eighteen months of piano and you can play like this? Very well done!!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LII

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738105
05/19/18 11:25 PM
05/19/18 11:25 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
I’m going to skip over now and listen to the third quarter of this wonderful Recital:

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major With well-executed embellishments, that was very nicely done!

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6 The sound quality is something that you’ll be able to improve relatively easily - then your lovely performance will truly sparkle. I enjoyed it very much.

53. FrankieC - Reverie A beautiful rendition of one of my favourite Debussy pieces - sensitively handled, with great phrasing and dynamics. Loved it.

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano A challenging piece, played with confidence - thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart (Nancy, I have you to thank for starting my favourite ABF thread years ago - no prizes for guessing which one. smile ) I’m always on the lookout for less difficult, beautiful pieces, and that was indeed both beautiful and beautifully played.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LII

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738138
05/20/18 02:08 AM
05/20/18 02:08 AM
California, United States
T
ThomasPiano Offline
ThomasPiano  Offline
T

I want to thank everybody here for the compliments and advice that I have received here. The trills are where I need work on and yes the acceleration and slow downs were intentional. I know baroque music isn’t necessarily played that way, but I wanted to add my own personal touch to the music. I will utilize the feedback to improve future performances. I will implement where I can to improve and continue performing the piano with the love that it deserves.

Thank you!

Last edited by ThomasPiano; 05/20/18 02:09 AM.

thomasn
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738144
05/20/18 02:46 AM
05/20/18 02:46 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)

Sam, this is exquisite music sensitively played. There is a certain type of English music: Bridge, Ireland, Bax, Mayerl, Finzi and a few more whose music has always evoked strong reactions in me. I had heard of Templeton but never listened to his music; I shall waste no time now in doing so. It seems to me you and your wife play it with just the right characteristic understatement which it requires. Looking at your avatar I thought you might play something by Charlie ! What a beautiful music room you have, my lounge looks like a rat's nest compared to that.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55] #2738146
05/20/18 03:14 AM
05/20/18 03:14 AM
Russia
B
Balezin Dmitry Offline
Balezin Dmitry  Offline
B

Russia
Originally Posted by SMA55

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land"
Wow. You did a great job with this, considering how long you’ve been playing. The part at the end which sounds more improvisational (although I don’t know if it actually is) needs work, as the timing is a bit off. But really good work overall!

I completely agree with you on your comment on the fast part at the end....it's defenetely needs work. I'm very glad that I recieve so much positive feedback from all of you guys!!! I really appriciate it...it makes me work even more on my musical skills.

I just can't live without some music in my life
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ThomasPiano] #2738148
05/20/18 03:18 AM
05/20/18 03:18 AM
T
ThomasPiano Offline
ThomasPiano  Offline
T

Also, I just want to say thank you Allysia (from PianoTV) for bringing me here =]

thomasn
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ThomasPiano] #2738149
05/20/18 03:35 AM
05/20/18 03:35 AM
Dumaguete, Philippines
A
Ael M. Offline
Ael M.  Offline
A

Dumaguete, Philippines
Originally Posted by ThomasPiano
Also, I just want to say thank you Allysia (from PianoTV) for bringing me here =]

Me too! Thanks Allysia! laugh

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single violin or cello voice on DP?
by Novembre. 01/22/19 09:40 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/22/19 08:33 PM
any backing tracks styles app for piano play?
by ander. 01/22/19 06:17 PM
Getting my first expensive Piano - Kawai CA 78?
by DevNoteHQ. 01/22/19 04:36 PM
Used digital pianos: Yamaha P-140?
by tcquinn. 01/22/19 04:16 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,739
Posts2,784,934
Members92,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission