Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (AZNpiano, anamnesis, bluebillytwo, Beemer, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741715
06/03/18 07:34 AM
06/03/18 07:34 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
46. Roger Ransom - Stardust Piano bar perfection - a great arrangement, a great performance!

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3 My favourite of the three (I even forsook Einaudi to submit it a couple of Recitals ago smile ). You’ve been playing for a relatively short time, but you’d never guess - that was really well done.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor Lovely Chopin - I enjoyed it very much.

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen Inspirational and very beautiful, Richard - what more can I say?!

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 A lovely bell-like tone throughout - you seemed to effortlessly capture all of the brightness of this joyful piece.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-L

My C3 - solace.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741781
06/03/18 02:08 PM
06/03/18 02:08 PM
Saskatchewan
Allysia Offline
Allysia  Offline
Saskatchewan
Here are my comments for the first 50 submissions! I've been listening to them intermittently while looking after my baby, and it's been a really fun (albeit slow) process. smile

PS, apparently I was too lazy to erase all of the "to dos".
---

01. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt) (to do)
Ambitious project! See if you can pull the melody out from under the chords, as it tends to get buried. Chopin is all about finding subtlety. I enjoyed the dancey middle section!

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance (to do)
This is a beautiful piece, and you give it a lovely treatment. Such a haunting melody! This performance inspired me to want to learn it.

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18 (to do)
Chopin’s most fun waltz! It sounds very joyful the way you play it. I would work on those fast passages in the main theme – especially when the melody is stepping down – to keep them clean and effortless. This is great for being back in the saddle for only 3.5 years!

04. wouter79 - Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2 (to do)
The rhythm of the melody against the left hand broken pattern sounds like a challenge! I like the improvised feel of this, and your ornamentation is lovely. I find myself yearning for more expressive phrasing since it’s such a lovely tune!

05. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - High Heels (to do)
Einaudi is great for music that sounds sophisticated but has enough patterns to be very playable. Some of the phrase ends feel a little rushed – I feel like you could give some of them more breathing room – but that’s purely subjective. A very emotive recording. Have you tried I Giorni?

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (to do)
I find this to be one of the weirdest prelude/fugue pairings – the prelude is so simple and straightforward, but the fugue is SO HARD. You did a good job keeping it light. I personally have a tough time playing fugues without sounding heavy-handed, and yours wasn’t.

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) (to do)
60 to 100 minute improvisations? That’s incredible. Also impressive is your use of scales and octaves – it all sounds so natural, never tentative. You’ve clearly got excellent technique.

08. thepianoplayer416 - Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825) (to do)
Your Bach has a very bright and clear sound. I think the notes could be evened out further like you mentioned if the description. I want to play with an orchestra!

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete (to do)
Einaudi is like the Yanni of the current generation. Very playable and appealing music. I like how you vary the volume of the repeated notes. Some of your faster notes run away on you a little. A very sensitive performance.

10. jazztpt - Saying Goodbye (to do)
Your playing is so bold and confident! I’m not a jazz connoisseur but I like the minor key vibe and the random staccato breaks.

11. Glenn R - Duet for One
You captured the essence of this piece really well. I might take the left hand volume down a smidge. Your performance of this is air-tight.

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop" (to do)
Always love this piece – that drone/raindrop pattern is really tough to keep subdued! That would have neen my main suggestion. Your quiet sections have a gorgeous, compelling tone.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 (to do)
This is so beautiful! The whole of Pathetique is quite the challenge. Perhaps it was the recording equipment but I lost the top voice sometimes in the main theme! Only sometimes though. The second part with all the chords was just spot on!

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3 (to do)
I’m working on this one too! Your playing has a great tone. I would experiment with playing the first movement faster, and watch that your trills don’t disrupt the rhythmic flow. Your tempo also tends to fluctuate when you play louder and quieter. I like the dancey vibe you pulled out of the second movement.

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) (to do)
Your melody really sings in this recording, it’s just lovely. The trills in the second part disrupted the rhythmic flow a little. The voicing in this piece is very tough and I think you did a great job of it.

15. GoldmanT - Bruyeres (to do)
I love the sound of your piano, very warm and rich! I love how jazzy some of Debussy’s music leans. Not much to add – it’s quite beautiful – perhaps your pedaling gets a tad blurry at times.

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill (to do)
I love this composition – it sounds like something my students would absolutely love to learn. Very fun and lively. I’d love to hear Eternal Treadmill laugh

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido (to do)
I like Liszt’s Consolations because they’re both beautiful and very playable for an early advanced student. My suggestion would be to watch that your pauses between bars/LH pattern changes aren’t so pronounced. Your LH patterns are very lovely and flowing.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12 (to do)
I absolutely loved your write-up for this piece – the background info and the images it conjured up for you gave me a greater appreciation and understanding of the piece. Your playing felt almost playful, and occasionally introspective – I liked the vibe!

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing (to do)
This composition reminds me a little of George Winston. It’s got a strong beat and I like the improvisational quality of it. Nice vibe!

20. fishandchips - French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande (to do)
Your info for this piece made me laugh out loud. laugh I can relate to the shaky hands! This is very beautiful and really sings. You really can’t hear the nerves in the end.

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow) (to do)
I love that you did a duet with your wife, and that you’ve participated in so many recitals! I like how you guys trade off with the melody. The build toward the end with those climbing jazzy chords is just great. Really enjoyed this!

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4 (to do)
If it’s anything, Glenn Gould was a big fan of studio editing, and I’m sure plenty of pianists do it! This was a delicate and dreamy performance. This is a recording setup thing but I was craving more room ambience!

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5) (to do)
I love the light touch you brought to this piece! Rachmaninoff’s preldes are great, and it’s cool you grew up hearing it via your mom. I thought the tempo was neat like this – I heard it a little differently, which is cool.

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title) (to do)
I love this show, but for some reason never thought to learn any of the music. Even though Ramin Djwaadi is a genius. This is a great arrangement! I would just watch the tempo as you seem to add some extra beats – maybe because of trying to squeeze in those challenging LH octaves.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro (to do)
This is a challenging piece for less than two years! It sounds very flowing and accurate to me – clearly you’re very musical. I love the elastic nature of your tempo.

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 (to do)
You did a great job with the 2 vs. 3, it sounds very natural! I’m just looking for a lighter, more delicate touch to really bring out that ‘evening cricket’ mood. 😊

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 (to do)
What a lovely aria, and you play it beautifully with a great hand balance. Just watch that the ornaments don’t derail your steady tempo!

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150) (to do)
My biggest suggestion for this one is to get the trills a little lighter, so they sound like note additions, instead of like a part of the main melody. And in that beast of a part at the end of the A section, with the climbing notes, the rhythm gets a bit distorted. This is beautifully played and your note accuracy is great!

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" (to do)
What a lovely tune – I haven’t seen the movie, so I’ve never heard it before. I noticed some speeding up/slowing down, not sure if that was intentional. Sounds good to me! I think it might sound really nice with some damper pedal!

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now (to do)
This really is a great arrangement! It’s very full and rich with chords and octaves. I had a hard time feeling the rhythm in the introduction, but once the beat picked up I felt it just fine. A very fun performance!

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green (to do)
I’m always impressed by people who can make simple lead sheets sound so sophisticated (my background is in Classical, not jazz). Your melody is so emotive and expressive, I love the way it floats on top of the chords.

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton) (to do)
I need to listen to the music of Hamilton! This has such a nice vibe. Your arrangement is excellent (though I have no mental point of comparison, not knowing the original). I lost the melody a little when it jumped into the left hand. You do a good job switching things up so it’s not same-y.

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline (to do)
Howdy to someone in Western Canada (I’m in Saskatchewan). You do a great job following the beat – I would just try to even out the RH 8th notes in some places – they’re almost a little too fast, and sound stuttery as a result. I really only noticed it on the descending pattern.

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I (to do)
I hope you’re feeling better!! I actually quite like the tempo where it’s at; very stately. Your big chords are so tightly played! Not much to nitpick here – I feel like the faster notes (16th notes? Trills?) could be more even. But it sounds great!

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light (to do)
It’s so much fun to relearn old pieces! I do that sometimes and I’m always surprised by how much changes. The only thing I’m wanting in this recording is a smoother, flowing sound with those broken left hand patterns. Your tempo and accuracy is very strong!

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement (to do)
I love this sonata! That sucks about the ceiling fan during your exam, you’d think they would have done something about that! Congrats on completing it. Overall this is a very lively and energetic recording, and I would agree with you on cleaning up the turns a little.

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor (to do)
This is such a great etude, and it doesn’t have that ‘kid music’ sound like you were talking about. You play it with a lot of expression – I would just suggest trying to play the right hand 8th notes (I assume they’re 8th notes) more evenly.

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 (to do)
So sorry to hear about your brother. This is a beautiful and surprisingly modern-sounding sonata movement – it has a movie-like feel to it. So much mood and emotion. I feel like this could benefit from a little metronome work – not to erase your elastic-like playing, but to tighten some barline crosses.

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor (to do)
I love teaching this piece – it’s a great intro to Chopin! The second half of the A section (IE the toughest part of the piece imo) could use a little tightening to keep the rhythm even-sounding. Your melody is very sensitively played. You have some really nice little ritenutos that really work!

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe? (to do)
Not every piece needs a big build or lots of drama! I agree it sounds Baroque in the sense that it maintains a single mood throughout. It’s cool that this is improvised – it sounds quite polished! It’s got a really cool minor key mood.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244 (to do)
What a beautiful-sounding piano and recording! This was such a pleasure to listen to. I always love Liszt’s rhapsodies.

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4 (to do)
What a fun piece to listen to (and probably to play)! I can’t offer any critique since I’m not overly knowledgeable in jazz styles, but I loved listening to this.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice (to do)
You did a great job of all the different articulations in this piece! It is very tough to coordinate different LH/RH touches (legato vs. staccato) – deceptively so. But you really accomplished it in this piece!

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4 (to do)
Was there a previous recording with sirens? Lol. I love the way you played this – you’re right, the most difficult aspect is varying the LH so the chords don’t all plunk down at the same volume, and keeping the very simple RH melody interesting and expressive. I thought you did an excellent job of this! I’m not sure but you should double-check your trill notes leading into the bigger 8th note part in the middle to make sure they’re correct.

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1 (to do)
What a beautiful and expressive piece – I’ve never heard it before. Your performance is so sweeping and emotive. I’d just watch that your LH notes are even (I assume they’re in groups of 3 8th notes, but sometimes sound like an 8th note dot with a 16th note, almost like a swing rhythm). Since I’ve never heard the piece I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m hearing!

46. Roger Ransom - Stardust (to do)
This was a real treat to listen to. Your decorations and ornaments flow so beautifully – you really capture a sense of ease in this performance. Nothing to add, it was simply beautiful.

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3 (to do)
I just ordered a copy of Satie’s Gymnopedies, since everyone talks about them but I haven’t given them a fair chance. They seem like great intermediate pieces – they have sophistication and complexity without being wildly difficult. I love the rich chords – your jumps are very accurate. I felt like your tempo fluctuated a little with the volume (faster when louder).

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor (to do)
Indeed a rainy day piece! I’m not very familiar with this waltz – is it a posthumous one? I love its nocturnal flavor. Your ritenutos were very tastefully done in my opinion, and come off very naturally. Sometimes I felt the pedaling was a little heavy and blurry, but your playing is airtight.

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen (to do)
What a beautiful arrangement – I need to give Liszt’s transcriptions a real listen as I’ve largely ignored them up to now. Your performance sparkles, and you’ve got a great hand balance. Not much to add. There’s a lot of style here and I really enjoyed listening to it. Weird about all the 50s!

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 (to do)
I learned this one recently – it’s really fun to play! Your melody really sings in this. The pedal is a little challenging (as are all the other little articulations), but it’s what really makes this piece, and you do a great job of it. Your grace notes are rather slow, but I’m not sure that’s a problem – I played mine a little faster, but I’m sure it’s open to interpretation.

Allysia @pianotv.net
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741785
06/03/18 02:49 PM
06/03/18 02:49 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill (to do)
I love this composition – it sounds like something my students would absolutely love to learn. Very fun and lively. I’d love to hear Eternal Treadmill laugh

Eternal Treadmill is what we're all on . . .when you get older it gets a tad troublesome! smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741788
06/03/18 03:05 PM
06/03/18 03:05 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
Florida
Hey Allysia thanks for the comments - that seems to be the prevailing notion (clean up the pauses btw measures). In some cases they were somewhat intentional for a little bit of dramatic pause, such as when there is a modulation. I guess, however, I really do need to smooth it out in general. I'm not quite sure that I'm an early advanced student. Maybe more like a nice solid intermediate. Thanks for listening.

On another note, you really should see La La Land. Great movie, one of my favorites of the decade.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Consolidating My Repertoire
Mozart K545
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741797
06/03/18 03:36 PM
06/03/18 03:36 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
My next batch...this is gonna take some time...

22. Sandalholme - Song without Words Op102 No4
Nice playing of this sweet song.

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
I think you played this very well and with a personal touch.

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title)
I know nothing of Games of Thrones, but you did well with the music.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro
Very good, such relaxed and expressive playing!

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1
You’ve got all the pieces together, just a little polish and tune the piano and your perfectionism should be fine with it smile

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508
Well done!

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150)
You play this very nicely…I think your happiness about playing the piece comes through, making it both happy and melancholic at the same time…And you can paint as well!

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land"
I have not seem La La Land, but your playing was interesting and got very jazzy in the end smile

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now
Great playing…Your upright sounds fine and suits this music well.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741825
06/03/18 05:59 PM
06/03/18 05:59 PM
K
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline
K

03. UnderConstruction - Grande Valse Brillante Op18
indeed seems like a very challenging piece. Excellent performance

06. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
very good work on both the prelude and the fugue

11. SwissMS - Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"
well done, delicate touch, perfect tempo

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3
a few mistakes and some unevennes and uncertainety here and there but you seem to have the piece all memorized and just a bit more practice will surely deliver an excellent performance

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile)
very nicely done

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
one of my favorite Rachmaninoff's pieces. This version is slower than usual but I gotta say it also works very well, enjoyed it very much.

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title)
very well executed

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32
I'm generally not a big fan of Scarlatti but I like this one. You played it well.

66. Sara_M - "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song
I like Bartok's "For Children", I use it to practice sight reading every now and then,

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie
beautiful, one of the my favorite from Album For The Young, great performance.

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
wow, just amazing, both the piece and your playing, wouldn't change a thing.

71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow
love the harmonies in this one, and your performance is just excellent

78. Fouyaut - Sonata K332 - Allegro
incredible, one of the best of the whole recital

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Allysia] #2741844
06/03/18 06:59 PM
06/03/18 06:59 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Allysia

07. Ted (Ted Jones) - Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60) (to do)
60 to 100 minute improvisations? That’s incredible. Also impressive is your use of scales and octaves – it all sounds so natural, never tentative. You’ve clearly got excellent technique.

Thanks for listening. Astute observation there, I could never be called tentative. Safe is boring, so I take every risk with technique to rip out ideas. Some time ago, I had what I assume was a focal dystonia, which took me four years of hard work to get rid of. It forced me to rebuild my mechanism, the process being aided in no small measure by my Virgil Practice Clavier. Indeed, I doubt I would be playing at all at seventy had I not had this wonderful device. I have learned not to comment too much about it though because all the things which have proved most beneficial to my playing and my music are the things musicians and experts say are wrong.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741897
06/03/18 11:30 PM
06/03/18 11:30 PM
India
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
India
61. Keselo - Quasi Adagio
It was nice. I liked it. My exposure to Bartok is mostly limited to the Mikrokosmos series. I should probably also check out some of his other works.
Although the melody in a lot of his music sounds a little unusual at times, his pieces are more challenging to me from a rhythmic standpoint.
I find myself using the metronome with Bartok more than most other composers.

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32
Very nice! I'm quite familiar with this music, I learned this a few years ago.
I thought you played it very well. Good tempo choice and clear articulation. I also liked the subtle dynamic changes. Well done!

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered
I loved it! This was a fantastic performance. This the first time I've listened to this piece arranged for solo piano. I absolutely enjoyed it!
I'm not sure why, but the harmonies of this piece remind me a lot of Ravel, or maybe Debussy.
I think the version I have listened to most often is the Quintet with sax and guitar in addition to the regular trio from the Unknown Session album.
I've listened to quite a bit of Bill Evans. I think Time Remembered and Waltz for Debby are among my favourite compositions of Bill Evans. And probably the entire Undercurrent album as well.

64. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman"
Nice! I'm also learning this piece. It's a uplifting and sunny piece. I hope you had a lot of fun playing this!
You've made good progress so far. All the best for learning the remaining variations smile

65. xyzzy - Dreamsville
This is new music to me. I liked it, there were some interesting harmonies. Well played.

66. Sara_M - "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song
This is nice! I really liked your phrasing of the melody line, the unhurried choice of tempo and the subdued but still very much audible accompaniment.
I'll have to start getting my hands on more of Bartok's music. I'm always looking for simple music that sounds nice for reading practice.

67. SandTiger - Into the Meadow
Very nice composition. It was very uplifting and happy. I liked it very much. Thank you for sharing smile

68. Moo smile - Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1
I liked it a lot. Very well played. The melody was very nicely phrased. Excellent choice of tempo. Good dynamics.
What did you use to record the music? I'm quite curious. I think I heard an odd sort of sound with the higher notes, especially when you played loudly. Almost like the sound a cricket makes, but not quite. Maybe it's my crazy imagination grin

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie
Very nice! Beautifully played. Flowing arpeggios. Nice tempo choice. Good, clean pedaling. Well done!

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
I enjoyed the performance. Everything about it was brilliant. From the playing, to the audio recording to the video production. Fantastic!
I listened to the entire flute sonata after watching your video. I enjoyed it very much. It sounds very different on the flute compared to the piano. Both have their own charm.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741912
06/04/18 12:46 AM
06/04/18 12:46 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
Moo :)  Offline
M
Thank you, i used my iPhone to record. It might just be the piano.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741914
06/04/18 01:01 AM
06/04/18 01:01 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
Moo :)  Offline
M
Re: 50, I didn’t pedal at all for musical moment 3 so I don’t really see the challenge others are suggesting. I don’t think it needs it. Maybe some middle line is good and some dabs of pedal but it mostly written staccato so I would try to avoid too much pedal .

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741920
06/04/18 01:49 AM
06/04/18 01:49 AM
India
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
India
Originally Posted by Moo :)
i used my iPhone to record.
I don't think the sound quality of the iPhone does justice to your playing. I think the dynamics are more normalised as well.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741954
06/04/18 05:59 AM
06/04/18 05:59 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
The ‘last-but-not-least’ quarter!

76. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - This Girl's In Love With You I always loved this Burt Bacharach composition. Mistakes? I’d call them ‘niftily-rescued spots’ so the piece continued to flow - very nicely played!

77. PhilzPiano - Andante op 453 no 32 A significant piece indeed - I’m so glad that your hand is on the mend, and that the injury didn’t deter you from participating in this Recital. The Andante sounded confident - I didn’t notice unevenness.

78. Fouyaut - Sonata K332 - Allegro I'm pleased that you accepted the invitation - and congratulations on achieving an unedited recording. That was an amazing performance of a very challenging piece!

79. Jouishy - The little shepherd Your exam piece was a new one for me. I agree with the judge - your control of dynamics brought out the sparkle of this rather abstract composition.

80. dddaaannn - Sonatina in A Minor, op. 214, no. 4 Like you, I find that polishing a piece for a Recital is a very valuable and productive learning experience. It paid off - your performance was crisp, clean, bouncy and fun.

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: noobpianist90] #2741964
06/04/18 07:18 AM
06/04/18 07:18 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
Originally Posted by Moo :)
i used my iPhone to record.
I don't think the sound quality of the iPhone does justice to your playing. I think the dynamics are more normalised as well.

I think it's the position of the iPhone so close to the keyboard (on the keyboard?) that causes some distortion. Personally I put it on a tripod just behind me and the sound is fine, not perfect but still okay.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2741986
06/04/18 08:46 AM
06/04/18 08:46 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

sinophilia  Offline

Italy

@Allysia Thank you for commenting smile
In the middle part there are a few measures with dotted rhythm in the LH, I hope that's what you heard - it would be really worrying if I made a glaring rhythm mistake in a piece that I've been playing for years now!
I've probably gone too far with the rubato in this recording, and lost the peaceful flow of the triplets here and there. I'll have to go back to a more measured interpretation. The melody is repeated several times, so there's definitely no need to bend it from the very first occurrence.

To everybody else, thank you so much for listening and for your kind comments! I'm glad you enjoyed my piece. That's all that matters.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742219
06/05/18 05:26 AM
06/05/18 05:26 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Norway
I want to thank everyone who expressed their condolences to me and commented on my contributed piece. I have listened to the whole recital myself, and I'm generally impressed by what I hear. Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to give individual comments this time. Hopefully next time.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742450
06/06/18 06:05 AM
06/06/18 06:05 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
81. dinahp18 - Invention 13 Not an easy piece to memorise, I would think. Bach at a cracking pace - very enjoyable!

82. Zilthy - Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits) This was a totally new experience for me - I’ve never tried transcribing by ear, and I was not familiar with the composer, the piece, or the instrument/s you used. But I liked the result!

83. noobpianist90 - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3 This was delightful - the full range of emotions beautifully and dramatically expressed.

84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement Joyful and cheery indeed - you played this with great confidence and flair. Loved the trills!

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1 I look forward to your submissions because I know I’m in for something special - and I wasn’t disappointed. A lovely performance!

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742479
06/06/18 09:18 AM
06/06/18 09:18 AM
P
Piano2138 Offline
Piano2138  Offline
P
Thank you to the organizers and volunteers for this unique opportunity!

Thank you all for listening and to piano_primo_1, Ralphiano, FrankieC, cmb13, akc42, Monica K., noobpianist90, Sam S, SwissMS, SMA55, casinitaly, MeganR, bSharp(C)yclist, MarieJ, PhilzPiano, Allysia and outo for your kind and constructive comments!

I won’t individually comment this time, incredible performances everyone. I am again impressed by the passion and commitment in mastering the piano, demonstrated by this recital.

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Allysia] #2742530
06/06/18 12:48 PM
06/06/18 12:48 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted by Allysia
Here are my comments for the first 50 submissions! I've been listening to them intermittently while looking after my baby, and it's been a really fun (albeit slow) process. smile

PS, apparently I was too lazy to erase all of the "to dos".
---

11. Glenn R - Duet for One
You captured the essence of this piece really well. I might take the left hand volume down a smidge. Your performance of this is air-tight.

Thanks Allysia, and I agree about the volume of the left hand smile

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742753
06/07/18 07:47 AM
06/07/18 07:47 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
86. Allysia (PianoTV) - Variations on Land of the Silver Birch A hint of something almost oriental in places, this was quite compelling in its variety and drama. Thank you!

87. Ken. - Boo Boo's Birthday Your piano sounded just right for this piece. Nice work!

88. briangmoore - Menuet, French Suite #2, Bach Brian, Bach is not easy, and you did a really good job with this. I’d love to have your ‘trillability’!

89. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major So glad that you managed to participate (even if it wasn’t with the piece you’d hoped to play). That was magical.

90. Whizbang (Chris) - Pastime Rag #2 Great toe-tapping fun, Chris - loved it. If it was to be ‘played as written’, how are claps represented in musical notation? smile

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742938
06/08/18 01:25 AM
06/08/18 01:25 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
91. Bach to the Future - "Norse Song", Album of the Youth I’m surprised at the range of dynamics obtainable when recording with a mobile phone; I’d love to hear this again recorded with a really good mike. Well done!

92. Mr Super-Hunky - Old and Wise Welcome back to the Recitals AND to the piano, Mr Super-Hunky! (That was the sort of break you most certainly DIDN’T need!) I loved your composition and your rendition - and the Mighty Mason still sounds pretty ‘mighty’ to me.

93. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Hungarian Mood A wistful atmosphere surrounds this attractive, challenging piece. I really enjoyed it.

94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp” A stunning performance. Bravo!

95. Pathbreaker - Prelude in E Major I’m glad you ‘snuck it in’ to your repertoire, because it was a lovely piece. Well played!

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2742951
06/08/18 04:28 AM
06/08/18 04:28 AM
Dorset, UK
S
sandalholme Online content
500 Post Club Member
sandalholme  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Dorset, UK
Thank you Allysia and outo for your comments. Re room ambiance, this is another tricky subject. I personally don't like hearing the sound, whilst playing, to appear to come from a larger room than the one I'm playing in. Adding post-recording is also tricky: I have made the mistake of adding too much and finding out that you cannot reduce it once the file has been saved. So I tend to err on the dryer side. I sympathise with your wish!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2743104
06/08/18 06:00 PM
06/08/18 06:00 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
91 Bach to the future

Very nice! Hymn tune quality, heavy, pounding; must be what Schumann thought of Norsemen . . . but it had it's gentler moments which you vrought out so well!

92 Mr Super Hunky

Well! Good to hear you again. And your own compo. Your piano sounds just fine and so full of character. Love this.

93 Ralphiano

Not heard this. Some interesting movements here which you handle sympathetically and well.

94 Mike N

Wouldn't like to try this wi my ole fingers! Leave it to the young 'uns like yourself. Lovely, young fella, Great job!

95 Pthbreaker

Lovely ponderous and melodious tune. Very dramatic parts to this . Beautiful; never heard this Chopin piece before.

96 Venu V

Steady as she goes! Super Scarlatti. Like this stuff greatly; well done!

97 Julie G

You do hear such different stuff here, and tonight is no exception. I liked this piece. Lovely work!

98 Stambler Dave

Love the sound of your Roland. Interesting little piece; light and friendly. Just like the Scots . . . .

99 Micael K

This follows on with K331. never got round to doin' it yet. Those fiddly bits are an education. You're educated (your teacher was right) and I'm not . . . . Great stuff!

100 Glen R

You play with assurance considering the time you mentioned; your piano sounds splendidly deep but the tune was too short. Hope to hear you next time!

Well done, all! Splendid stuff, and good to see new faces, and some returning old. Best wishes to y'all, and thanks to the organisers for their hard work on our behalf. here's to next time . . . .Cheers!

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2743164
06/09/18 05:28 AM
06/09/18 05:28 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
The final five at last!

96. Venu V - Sonata in D Minor K 34 Crackles in the recording didn’t spoil your performance. I’m not qualified to offer feedback - all I can say is I enjoyed your submission.

97. Julie G. - You are my love (from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles) Just lovely! The piece has a haunting, melancholy air, emphasised by your sympathetic touch.

98. stambler / Dave - Miss Wardlaw's Favorite A sparkling piece indeed; I can hear fiddlers having a merry old time with it! Well done!

99. micael K - Ronda alla turca For me, polishing a piece to my satisfaction is the most challenging part of learning. Fortunately it can be tackled over months or years, a bit at a time, provided that you don’t begin to lose interest and become stale. Not much chance of that with this piece, I think you were very wise to ‘have fun’ with it. And it was fun to listen to.

100. Glen R. - Duet for One I’d love to hear more of that - sombre and appealing. Nice work!

One hundred treats! I’ve taken much longer than I’d hoped, to comment on everyone’s recordings - but I’ve savoured every performance.

Thank you to fellow 50th Recital participants, and to all who took the time to listen to my submission and post kind, generous and helpful comments. Special thanks to the wonderful, untiring organisers. How lucky are we ABF-ers?! For me, these Recitals are a constant source of inspiration and motivation. thumb

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Allysia] #2743508
06/10/18 07:11 PM
06/10/18 07:11 PM
Alagoas - Brazil
C
Claudemir Offline
Claudemir  Offline
C
Alagoas - Brazil
Allysia, thanks for watching and for your comments.

Started to play in 01/2017.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2743512
06/10/18 07:36 PM
06/10/18 07:36 PM
Alagoas - Brazil
C
Claudemir Offline
Claudemir  Offline
C
Alagoas - Brazil
I read all the comments, thanks all of you that listened and especially commented my recording. I really appreciated all the comments and feedbacks.

Started to play in 01/2017.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2743555
06/11/18 12:31 AM
06/11/18 12:31 AM
India
noobpianist90 Offline
500 Post Club Member
noobpianist90  Offline
500 Post Club Member
India
71. Davidonabus - Over The Rainbow
I liked it. The harmonies were quite interesting. Your playing was very controlled, yet expressive. Nice Pianoteq setting as well, very cleanly done.
I did feel that the dissonance was a bit overpowering in many places though. The melody and harmony didn't really fit for me in those places. This more to do with the arrangement than your playing. Maybe it takes more listenings to really appreciate it.

72. JustinDAggie - Liebestraum Number 3
Very nicely done! This is one of my favourite Liszt pieces. You played it very well.
I did notice that the accompaniment was a bit loud, almost as loud as the melody. Maybe it was a recording. It was an enjoyable listen in any case smile
I would have liked the video to show your fingers though. That might have been nice to see.

73. squidbot (Chris) - Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1
Wow! That was excellent for having played for just 2 years! Very well done!
Is your recital already over? If not, all the best for it.
I think you've got most of it down. Polishing it will be more fun than learning the notes though. It always is for me smile

74. outo - Two Keyboard Sonatas K32 and K34
The piano sounds pretty good for not having been tuned for a year!
I'm familiar with K32, I've played it before. I liked how you played it.
I'm not as familiar with K34, though I have heard it before. It sounds really nice. A good choice in pairing it with K32.

75. Kalos Piano - Sarabande HWV 437 N. 4
This is a new composer to me. I've heard of Handel but have never listened to any of his music. I like this piece a lot. Sounds very majestic. Like something that would be played for royalty smile
You play very well for having been playing for only 3 years. The performance was very confident and assertive. Very fitting for the music. Nicely done!

76. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - This Girl's In Love With You
I'm not familiar with this music so I couldn't really make out the mistakes smile
I liked it. Thanks for sharing.

77. PhilzPiano - Andante op 453 no 32
This is quite nice. You played it quite well. The unevenness was not very noticeable. Congrats on recovering from your injury and successfully playing again smile
I've not really played any music of Czerny. I used to think that his pieces were more or less exercises, but this actually sounds quite nice! Maybe I'll try playing some Czerny.

78. Fouyaut - Sonata K332 - Allegro
Very nice! I listen to this piece quite often. Overall, you played it very well. And you've identified the things to work on very well.
Good job on getting the recording in a single take. I struggle with this as well.
I look forward to listening to this again once you've polished it entirely.

79. Jouishy - The little shepherd
This is an interesting piece. The recording quality and the sound of piano were excellent. Your playing was very good. It feels like the main challenge I would find in this piece is from a rhythmic standpoint.
I'm not sure how much I like the music overall though. The melody was nice and the harmonies were interesting, but I did find the extended pauses a little uncomfortable.
I like a lot of Debussy's music, but I'm not entirely sure about this one. Maybe a few more listenings will change my mind. Or maybe I would like it more at a faster tempo.

80. dddaaannn - Sonatina in A Minor, op. 214, no. 4
I like this sonatina a lot! This is a new composer for me. I've not really heard of Gurlitt before. Maybe after I finish on the Clementi sonatinas, I'll start with Gurlitt.
You play very well. I enjoyed reading your description of yourself as a "three-time adult beginner" grin
The first two movements were very smooth, but the third movement could use a bit more polish, especially in the faster sections.
Overall well done.

81. dinahp18 - Invention 13
Nicely done! I'm used to listening to this piece played blisteringly fast by Glenn Gould. It sounds very different played at a more human tempo.
Both voices were very clean and well balanced. Overall tempo was quite steady. Memorising any Bach is quite challenging, and it only gets more challenging as you add more voices.

82. Zilthy - Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits)
I liked it. Well done in transcribing it by ear. It sounds great.
The only criticism I have is that it ended too quickly. I think you could have expanded more on the main theme, the part between 00:40 and 00:51. And then done sort of a coda/outro. Just a suggestion for future transcriptions smile

84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement
Wow! That was fantastic. The ornaments were fantastically done!
This sonata is on my to-do list. Hopefully I'll get around to it in a couple of years. I still don't feel ready for this yet.

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1
Excellent! As always, your playing, the audio and video quality are at a professional level. I enjoyed the performance very much.
I've never heard of this composer before. As you say, this piece is fairly reminiscent of Chopin's E minor Nocturne. Well, at least the accompaniment. I think the melody is quite different.

86. Allysia (PianoTV) - Variations on Land of the Silver Birch
I liked it! The main theme is very stately and rich. The variations are very interesting as well. Ranging from slow and calm to fast and dramatic.
Those glissandos were unexpected and sounded great! Well done.

87. Ken. - Boo Boo's Birthday
Interesting tune. I've not listened to much of Monk yet. It was a bit short though. It ended before I could make up my mind whether I liked it or not grin

88. briangmoore - Menuet, French Suite #2, Bach
Well done for tackling this challenging piece. The ornaments were nicely done! The notes all sound right to my ears and the tempo also sounds fairly even.
The rhythm is where, I think, more work is needed. Also, regarding articulation, I can hear many detached staccato notes. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I would prefer these parts to be more legato and flowing. Alternatively, at a faster tempo, the detached notes might sound a lot better.
I look forward to listening to your performance again once you've polished it smile

89. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major
This is probably my favourite Chopin Nocturne. It's on the top of my to do list, though I'm not ready to start on it yet.
You did a wonderful job on it. Very nice choice of tempo and excellent dynamics and pedaling. The sound of your Pleyel is also really nice. Very fitting for Chopin. A very enjoyable performance.

90. Whizbang (Chris) - Pastime Rag #2
That was a lot of fun! Very energetic and lively. Some of those leaps in the left hand look very challenging to pull off. You played it with ease. Very nice! The clapping was a nice touch. Was it a part of the sheet music? grin

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2747229
06/26/18 05:06 PM
06/26/18 05:06 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
@peterws and @MarieJ -- thanks for listening and the praise! I'm looking forward to the next recital smile

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2751132
07/13/18 12:52 AM
07/13/18 12:52 AM
Melbourne
H
h8dk97 Offline
h8dk97  Offline
H
Melbourne
I thought better late than never, had very busy and stressful last couple of months so didn't have a chance to write here...

Thanks very much everyone who participated in this recital. I'm particularly grateful to people who commented on my submission:

Pianist685, cmb13, Sam S, FrankieC, Keselo, bSharp(C)yclist, Ralphiano, Riddler, Micael K., MeganR, MarieJ, Monica K., SMA55, peterws, PhilzPiano, Kalos Piano, noobpianist90

Thank you!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2751177
07/13/18 07:59 AM
07/13/18 07:59 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
I feel bad now...I never finished commenting although I listened to everything...maybe I'll just have to say: Great work everyone!!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2751277
07/13/18 05:38 PM
07/13/18 05:38 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
No worries, man! Sometimes these things are just hard to fit in; like, there's only 24 hours in a day and you get tired for half of 'em . . . . yawwn. Hay fever tablets help!

"[Linked Image]"
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Check Out Our Newsletter!
Our August 2018 Free Newsletter for Piano Enthusiasts is here now, check it out!
Piano World Newsletter
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart and Virtuosity
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 12:58 PM
CLP-685 CLP-675 buying advice
by Janerik. 08/18/18 12:11 PM
Kawai GE30 vs Kawai GL10
by Katieji. 08/18/18 10:53 AM
Piano shopping in Montreal Ca.
by Tweedpipe. 08/18/18 09:49 AM
Sara Davis Buechner on Mozart
by Rich Galassini. 08/18/18 08:44 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,941
Posts2,739,621
Members90,794
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission