Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
82 registered members (90125, Carey, Beowulf, Artur Gajewski, Charles Cohen, 7uturu, Bett, 15 invisible), 902 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738342
05/21/18 03:45 AM
05/21/18 03:45 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Tubbie0075 Fantastic! Love the energy and pace you keep. In Mozart you can't hide behind the pedal, which makes this a very difficult piece.Good that your piano had light keys, I'm amazed that you had and could play this speed on an upright. Sounds you have it nailed here, so what happened at your exam? You took it too fast?. Nerves?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738345
05/21/18 04:20 AM
05/21/18 04:20 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Michael K
22 years, Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9, Juilliard Recording studio :-p

Great! I'm not a particular Liszt fan with its bombastic fits, but you brought this with style and technical skill. Amazing, for 10+ minutes you keep the neck bracing speed and energy till the end.

You're going to release an album or so?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738355
05/21/18 06:29 AM
05/21/18 06:29 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1

I love this piece by Schumann. Beautifully played. "Some notes are too loud, some too soft" That's always the case when I listen to myself play. But when I listen to others, I'm far less critical. I think we are our own worse critics, funny how that works smile Well done!

46. Roger Ransom - Stardust

Lovely, such a relaxing and yet lively piece of music. I really enjoyed it.

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3

Great job on the Satie piece, Mike. Congrats again on the new instrument.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor

Another wonderful Chopin piece. Well done.

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen

This was incredible. Thanks for sharing your talent. Fitting that it would be the 50th of the 50th, and did I read 50 years experience? Absolutely beautiful. I'll have to listen to more of your stuff on the recital index.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90] #2738364
05/21/18 08:35 AM
05/21/18 08:35 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by zrtf90
17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido
For 4.5 years, Craig, this is very impressive. You've a good grasp of the overall effect even if you've not managed to bring all of it out in this performance.

The first thing I look for when starting a piece like this is where the climax is and how to go about bringing it out. Here it's quite clearly in M42 but compare the two parallel passages, M33-34 and M41-42. In the first Liszt has put a tenuto over the first three quarters in M34 over a quiet LH that stops halfway through the bar. He's spreading out the descent smoothly to reduce the punch. In M41 he stretches the climactic build up from eighths to quarters, adds an octave below each one and accents the actual climactic chord in M42 before the retarded cadence, now reduced to eighths, giving greater weight and pwerto the main chord. In M41 you've begun with the loudest note first and stifled the rise whereas in M34 you've put so much air around the descending notes that they take on more weight than they deserve. As a listener these two passages seem to take equal importance.

Looking at the first measure, the common time marking has four beats, the first and the three A-flats but Liszt beams the RH notes as one group and elsewhere divides the bar into two. Do we take the measures as four groups of triplets, as two groups of six, or one group of twelve? Or even as one group of six followed by three groups of two echoing the rising figure in RH at M22 and M26. I tend to add an accelerando to the four central descending notes and a ritardando to the last two or three but keep the weight of the accents light to maintain the peacefulness. I think you've left too much space after the first bass note making the rest of each measure sound a bit rushed - defeating the lento placido instruction.

Watch the climax in M14. It feels like you're slowing down which diminishes the effect of the crescendo and the double length of the accented quarter note at the top, which you might even exaggerate as a fermata. Also put a little more air around the rising notes at the end of M16, they're marked staccato but I treat them more as non-legato, as the end of the first section falls gracefully away.

The tempo thing is complex. Professionals have such a wide dynamic compass and such surety in the balance between the hands that they can give the impression of moving faster by virtue of being smoother. Take your tempo from your own ability to contain the dynamics both between successive notes and between the hands and not on the beat of a metronome. At no time should we ever perform a piece faster than we can actually play.

If you're still continuing to work on this piece I'd love to see a thread dedicated to it. There are a lot of people in the ABF who've played this who might offer more input and many more might have it on their wish list to benefit from it. It's one of two popular choices of first Liszt pieces and you have this piece well enough to get much benefit from a closer look at the text.

This really is good for your time at the instrument and it's ready to go to the next level as soon as you are.

Richard,

I would really like to thank you for the complex analysis. This year, I began lessons with a teacher who was a grad student in piano at a local university; unfortunately for me but of great accomplishment to him, he just graduated and is moving on to a PhD program out of the area. I only had about 6 months of lessons with him, but in that time he got me rolling on the path to musicality. I worked with him on this piece over about 4 of my biweekly lessons.

Mirroring what you've said, it was he who tried to get me to realize the impact and importance of the first climax in M14 (and preceding rise in M12-13), and of the climax in M42. I've worked really hard on dynamics on this piece, and I think I'm getting there, but the subtleties that you've described are evidence that I've still got some studying to do! It is a piece like this that deserves the extra work, and I'm convinced that the benefit I've derived from this study will extend far beyond this piece.

As PianogrlNW pointed out as well, I think there is too much space after my bass note (Db in most cases), and I'll work to improve that. I find the touch of the upright makes it hard for me to really keep hush the triplets effectively, but I know I have room to improve in this regard as well. I've been treating these all as sets of 4 triplets, but I'll give the accelerando on the 4 descending notes a try when I have some time.

I also tried to pause slightly to give a little weight to the modulations, which I think but am not sure occur around M31, M39, and M41 (just before the climax)?

I have noticed upon listening a few errors that I can do better with - the first is of my fingering in M22; I first learned the R hand as two groups of 4 notes, but then changed to fingers 2-1-4-1-3-1-5-4 but didn't play it like this in the recording, which led to a slight pause between the two groups. The second was in the final run in M56, which could have been smoother.

As you point out, and as I mentioned in my summary, I did up the tempo for this recording beyond that which I usually play, and maybe I'll back down a little.

I agree that this piece deserves an entire thread; Moo started one late last year, and there have been others; I'd be happy to continue on that one or start a new study thread on this piece; I envision a comprehensive study guide. Again, I appreciate your help!

Btw, which was the other Liszt piece that you were referring to when mentioning that this is one of two common first Liszt pieces for students?

Craig

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738373
05/21/18 09:20 AM
05/21/18 09:20 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

09. MarieJ - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete

I thought this was excellent Marie. You may have just picked my next Einaudi piece smile

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13

Another treat, get to hear this twice now smile I really enjoyed your playing.

17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido

Well done Craig! Lovely piece of music.

19. Peyton - Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing

Fantastic! I loved the ending smile

24. Monica K. - Game of Thrones (Main Title)

Fantastic! I have yet to see an episode of this show. Plietschmann's videos are good I think. I'd like to learn Interstellar.

28. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150)

Well done, Cherly. It was beautiful. Your paintings are fantastic too.

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green

Charming, warm and friendly. Relaxing and pleasing to the ears. Well done.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738377
05/21/18 09:46 AM
05/21/18 09:46 AM
Iowa
J
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member
joangolfing  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Iowa
21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)
Sam I enjoyed hearing you and your wife playing Alec Templeton's Pocket Size Sonata #2. What a nice way to celebrate our 50th Recital with a clarinet solo and your wonderful piano playing. I ordered the clarinet solo and hope to start practicing it this week.
Last September I bought a new clarinet, Buffet R13 with a very warm and beautiful sound. So it should compliment this jazzy piece quite well. I remember your last clarinet recommendation of John Walker's "The Clarinet in the Attic". I have enjoyed working on all of them over the last year.
Your piano playing is always inspiring with your range of experience and talent.

Last edited by joangolfing; 05/21/18 09:47 AM.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2738407
05/21/18 11:40 AM
05/21/18 11:40 AM
Kitsap County, WA
squidbot Online content
Gold Subscriber
squidbot  Online Content
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro

73. squidbot (Chris) - Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1, Chopin I can’t believe you have been playing for only 2 years! I found this a very challenging mazurka during my mazurka-fest period last year. Yes, you had some hesitations in the main section, but you did an especially effective job in the sotto voce section. A few suggestions (but your teacher’s comments take precedence, so ignore mine if they contradict): You can stretch time, so take more time with the ornaments so every note is very clear. Make sure the audience hears the brief RH rests, which add syncopation to the piece. I started out raising my hands from the keyboard during each rest to make sure they were embedded in my mind when first learning this. To better reach the last chord, and make more of an impact: add a slight pause before the last (fz) chord, and make sure your hands are in the right place and you can really lean into it. I hope your recital goes well.

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. I definitely struggle with the ornaments, and my teacher has de-emphasized them as I've been struggling with the rhythm and I tend to rush around them smirk All good advice, I will try adding in to my practice.

Currently learning: Beethoven "Easy" Sonata Op 49 No 2, JS Bach WTC Prelude No 2 in C minor, Grieg Lyric Pieces Book 1
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738414
05/21/18 12:02 PM
05/21/18 12:02 PM
Ireland (ex England)
Z
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Z

Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted by cmb13
I agree that this piece deserves an entire thread; Moo started one late last year...

I saw the harmonic analysis thread - obviously, as I posted a lot in it - but didn't see Moo's original thread on the 4v3 problem. The Paul Barton tutorial was interesting. I don't know how I missed the later posts in the thread but I know I was unable to keep up with the forum in the summer and missed some recitals.

If you want to revive either of those that would be fine if you don't want to start a new one.

I'd prefer to begin with an overview of the piece's structure and plan out a learning approach before getting down to the details. A harmonic analysis is not how I usually start, though in the case of a sonata the key by key approach is fine at the outset. The detailed harmonic analyses I prefer to leave to just those places where it's interesting. It makes more sense to me when I'm playing with a fake book approach or when I'm looking at the piece away from the instrument.

Originally Posted by cmb13
Btw, which was the other Liszt piece that you were referring to when mentioning that this is one of two common first Liszt pieces for students?
The other popular Liszt starter is Liebestraume No. 3 as a quick look at the ABF recital index would confirm.

Richard
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738434
05/21/18 01:28 PM
05/21/18 01:28 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Yeah....I don't think I'm ready for the Liebestraum yet!

I'll be happy to start a study thread on the Consolation when I get some time. Thanks!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738439
05/21/18 02:02 PM
05/21/18 02:02 PM
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline

A batch of 10 this time:

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4

Wow, my only prior exposure to Gulda is his performances of Bach on the clavichord. This piece seems beyond category, a demented mash-up of several jazz styles, that you execute with great aplomb, effortlessly transitioning from one to the next. Super fun, super performance!

13. Paige - Sonatina op 36 no 3

Very nice singing lines! And a very good rhythmic feel, particularly with how the melody relates to the accompaniment. Sometimes you hurry through the easier bits (repeated chords, e.g.). Glad you've found a teacher you like.

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered

I see what you mean about contemporary classical more than jazz -- some of those chord changes are pretty abstract. You bring out a beautiful range of colors.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244

So effortless, as though you just sat down at the keyboard and improvised. Magnificent!

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor

Excellent! You have a strong musical sense that will serve you well as you develop your skills.

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35

At times a remarkably contemporary-sounding piece. You play it with beautiful feeling and melodic line. I'd like the broken chords in the right hand to be quieter, to really let the melody stand out (and also there are many interesting possible countermelodies to be brought out in those chords). Well done, makes me want to learn it myself!

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill

Pure fun! Rolls right along, with surprising twists along the way.

47. Michael. (Mike) - Gymnopedie No.3

Well done -- has the right pensive feeling without dragging. I'd like to hear the melody ring out more. Which mainly means playing those chords quieter, tricky to do with those jumps.

I love how you use rubato to let each phrase breathe. Lovely performance.

85. PikaPianist - Prelude Op. 6, No.1

Beautiful performance of a piece that deserves to be better known -- you seem in complete control here.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738447
05/21/18 02:36 PM
05/21/18 02:36 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
500 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Cmb, I've had a listen. To me the problem seem to be that the rhythm does not seem secure. Perhaps you were trying to play to fast but there are many gaps and pauses in places. The 4 on 3 rhythm is not secure. I would slow it down. Eventually the left hand just runs and you concentrate only on the right hand. This is when you can concentrate on building the intensity and the rubato. But when you are not on autopilot with the rhythm these extra can distract. You need to really get the rhythm correct which does take a lot of work if the 4 vs 3 is alien - it was alien to me. It is a difficult piece. But nail it now and who know, you should be able to play fantaisie impromptu one day !

Last edited by Moo :); 05/21/18 02:38 PM.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738477
05/21/18 04:45 PM
05/21/18 04:45 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Italy
It's going to take a while to get through all these wondeful pieces -(and it's worth every minute) -
Here's my next batch ... I was delighted to hear some old favourites, and to learn the names of pieces that were known to me but only by their melodies, not their names.

I am endlessly impressed with the energy, emotion and yes, love - that goes into all our performances. Thank you again to all the performers.

25. Jerzyk19 - O Mio Babbino Caro I didn't realize I knew this piece, but not by its name! - I can see why you had to work at it - but your arpeggio work was fabulous - flowing and even - it was worth the hours of practice you put in. Most enjoyable!

26. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1 This is a favourite Debussy for me. There's such a magical quality to it. Yes, you've got a few flubs in it - but overall the performance is strong and really beautiful. I listened for the crickets but didn't catch them!

27. Piano2138 - Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508 I heard this sung, in German, in a film (Joyeux Noel) - and loved it, but never figured out what it was exactly. I don't know if it is because of the music alone, or the association with the film, but it fills me with emotion almost to the point of tears whenever I hear it. Thank you so much for this performance - it was really wonderful to hear it!

29. Balezin Dmitriy - Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land" 1 year and 3 months? Self-taught? - I have one word for you: COMPLIMENTS! - Did you do well on the piece, yes. It starts off so simply that I was thinking, ok, yes, nice..... and then it got very interesting and so much more complicated. Wow. I'm impressed. Can't wait to see what you do in the future!

30. zsolpyW - Don't Stop Me Now I've started to get familiar with this piece because one of the guys in my "performance anxiety group" plays it - I have to say you bring a lot of confidence and excitement to it - you really make it rock! I wastched your video and it was a delight to see you in action. Really super performance, loved it!

31. Riddler (Ed) - Blue In Green This is the kind of jazz I can relax and enjoy. Without being too abstract, it takes you on a bit of a wandering journey and lets you drift into a gentle meditative mindset. Wondeful stuff. Really enjoyed this Ed.

32. Alyssa S - It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton) I haven't seen Hamilton, but this piece certainly tells a story. You've caught the feelings you describe for the piece and played it beautifully (and made me curious to see the show!) Brava, well done!

33. Ralph L. - Ballad Pour Adeline I loved this piece from the first time I heard it. When I saw it was on the programme for this recital I actually jumped ahead to listen - but being systematic in my feedback progress I'm writing now! (and listening again while I write). Your background orchestra was fun, but I definitely preferred the parts with just the piano! Nice playing.

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I Hope you heal up quickly and feel top notch soon Marilyn! I can't claim any familiarity with this music, but I certainly enjoyed listening. Thank you!

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light I saw Secret Garden but back when it came out in 1993 (if we're talking about the same version). I don't recall any piano solo, but I REALLY like this music. It's rich, full-voiced--- it sings, and there is a hint of sadness, melancholy, then rays of sunlight. I can see why you wanted to learn it, then and work on it again now. Wonderful music, well played!

36. Tubbie0075 - Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement It's not everyday we hear a studio peformance recording! It's lovely to hear you working through the cute delicate start into the meatier part of the music, the Mozartian playfulness is in full view throughout and tickles our fancy. Last few minutes are so exciting- thrilling! I hope you had as much fun playing this as I did listening to you! And congratuations on your exam results!

37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor What a pretty melody! A little melancholy, a little whistful - really charming. You played it very nicely, very balanced and flowing, I enjoyed listening!

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 A lovely tribute to your brother's memory Ganddalf. It's hard to lose someone that close, but when it happens unexpectedly and tragically, it's so much harder to bear, again - you have my heartfelt condolences. This music feels like a journey through time - telling a story rich in life's details, there are moments of light but there seems to be a shadow ready to fall at any moment from the under current of disquiet. It's beautiful music, and near the end - about 2 minutes from the end, it feels like we enter into a state of grace, a light of peace and hope, the thought that we will meet again. Sad and uplifting at the same time. Music that truly speaks to the heart and soul. Thank you so much for playing it for us.

[Linked Image]

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738482
05/21/18 05:04 PM
05/21/18 05:04 PM
Ireland (ex England)
Z
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Z

Ireland (ex England)
52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6
My first impression, once I'm over the sound quality, is that you've not only approached this with intelligence but you may also have benefitted from an affinity with Chopin's language. I'm convinced that being Polish helps to hear Chopin much younger in life and being able to speak Polish gives a greater insight into the intonation Chopin gave to his melodies.

Comparing M1-4 with M9-12 you have the control you need to avoid putting so much weight in the RH in the first few bars and especially the offbeat D's in M4-5. The sotto voce instruction applies to the RH and if you approached it with the same dynamic you give to the final echoes in M23 onwards it would improve the overall effect.

As you're using a digital you might be able to take advantage of the settings (I don't know what's available on Roland models). If you used a heavier touch weight for performance and recording it might flatter your pianissimo better while practising with a light touch weight will instill greater skill and tonal control. A brighter tonal setting may help to jar your ears at the slightest provocation and build a stronger defence against wayward fingers pressing harder than they should, especially if you keep the volume level up.

With less than four years it's a bit of an ask to match the control of the top recording artists but if you make a conscious effort it will bring results much sooner than waiting for it to develop. Taking it a touch slower would help as well. This is lento assai, think Kissin or Trifonov rather than Argerich or Rubinstein.

When the new voice enters at the top in M6 it should sound as a new voice not as a continuation of the upper pedal notes. That LH grace note stands out a little compared to the RH, if you're using 1-2 for the E and D consider 2-1 and vice versa.

Savour the change to E in M12, after the D of M4, and the C pedal above it. That big entry in M13 makes the echo so much more poignant - very Howard Shelley - but be careful not to overdo it.

The A in M22 is accented.

I know I've picked holes in it - sorry about that - but I think you've played this really well, especially for your experience, and I enjoyed listening, I have read a lot of your posts on the forum and I believe you have the wherewithal to improve this greatly over time - with or without comments from me.

Richard
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738484
05/21/18 05:23 PM
05/21/18 05:23 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
A few more.

41 michael K

A guy who knows the score. So well he doesn't need it! So this is what a real Steinway D sounds like. Excellent, isn't it? Difficult to comment on this because of the quality. Out of my league!

42 Pat H

Very quirky, Patrick. loved the walking bass. So much good stuff in this piece. Rhythm is something else. Splendid, and wonderful, authoritive playing!

43 Tootles

Don't be overawed by some of the excellent performances we have here. Your work is sound, this is the ABF and your progress is solid on that nice Bechstein grand you have. Well done!

44 Arlusta Turner

You do a great job on this most miserable of Chopin's tunes. I'm not a fan of his, but you conveyed his feelings superbly and your piano sounds cool! Nice, man.

45 Sinophilia

Your playing has come along well over the years, and this sounded sweet. Love Schumann's stuff, Super job.

46 Roger Ransome

I remember this well from my dance stuff days. I enjoyed the aplomb you give this; your experience and relaxed delivery creates a lovely atmosphere for dancing or listening.

47 Michael Mike

Must admit to preferring Gymnopedie 2 & 3. These get progressively more miserable, but they have such atmosphere with them that Chopin seems to lack in his sad tomes. Loved it.

48 Lithotriptor

Chopin's rainy day music! I enjoyed this; he must quite like rain. a steady driving and plenty of light and shade. Great job.

49 Richard Zrt90

Super recording; I've heard this before, You make it sound great on that piano and it seems to be mic'd to sound like we're all at the keyboard. Very clear and powerful.

50 PianogrlNW

Some sound you have there; so much sweet voicing and dynamics. What's not to like?

Time to go . . . . . .have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738485
05/21/18 05:26 PM
05/21/18 05:26 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Using a random number generator for the remaining pieces ...

16. peterws - Troublesome Treadmill

Awesome composition, energetic piece. Loved it.

18. JoBert - Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12

Very nice, the NV10 sounds great!

21. Sam S - Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)

What a wonderful duet, bravo to both of you!

35. Piano_primo_1 - Winter Light

It's a pretty piece of music. Well done, enjoyed the video.

More Chopin, very nice, well done. Sounds great on the Casio.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244

Wow, that was super! I enjoyed the entire video. If I practice at Juilliard, will I be able to play like that laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738516
05/21/18 07:53 PM
05/21/18 07:53 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
37. Snejana - Etude in A Minor: Congratulations on your AB Forum recital debut! This is a bittersweet little etude, thanks to the key of A minor, and very nicely played.

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960: I am so sorry to hear of your brother’s death, Ganddalf. What a beautiful tribute you have given him. I really liked the transition to the part around 2:20 where you’re suddenly playing with dark energy.

39. Claudemir Medeiros - Waltz in A minor: This is one of my favorite classical waltzes, and you play it charmingly. Well done!

40. Debusselchen - boring Barock maybe?: Well, I think yours might be the most self-deprecating description in the recital. I wouldn’t call this improv too slow or boring at all, but then again, I am partial to slow, moody music. I enjoyed listening to this.

41. Michael K. - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244: Well, it only took a few seconds of watching your video to realize that you are an outlier on the “adult beginner” continuum. What an impressive performance! You have technical and interpretive skills most of us can only dream of. smile

42. patH (Patrick Hollstein) - Play Piano Play, Nr.4: That was such a fun and bouncy piece to listen to! I was not familiar with the composer at all, but I really liked this piece and the easy energy you gave to it in your playing.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice: I personally find waltzes with oom-pah-pah rhythms in the left hand very hard to play cleanly (which is ironic given my accordion background), so I thought you did a great job keeping those chords clean and distinct. Lots of progress since your last recital! thumb

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4: I agree with you... this is one of those pieces that looks like it *ought* to be easier, but playing it well demands expert control over the dynamics to get the proper emotional expression. I thought you did a great job with it.

45. sinophilia - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1: Very impressed that you pulled this off in a single take! You’re obviously very comfortable with this piece, and it comes across with the calm and easy confidence you play it with.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738532
05/21/18 10:06 PM
05/21/18 10:06 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
92. Mr Super-Hunky - Old and Wise
MRSH, good to see you here again. Sounds to me like your playing is as good as ever! Very pretty composition, with distinctive form and harmonies. I had forgotten that you are a real composer! Good work.

93. Ralphiano (Ralph) - Hungarian Mood
Ralph, a very enjoyable piece to listen to. I especially like the C section. I thought you did a very credible job with the legato chords. Well done.

94. MikeN/Michael Nichols - Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp"
Whew, Mike, that piece must set some kind of record for arpeggios! I was impressed that with all those notes you were still able to bring out the melody clearly. Well done.

95. Pathbreaker - Prelude in E Major
Pathbreaker, good to see you back. Nice work. Very solemn and serious piece, played well.

98. stambler / Dave - Miss Wardlaw's Favorite
Dave, a lively and entertaining piece. Well done.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738536
05/21/18 10:12 PM
05/21/18 10:12 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

I enjoyed your performance. You did a really nice job with this piece.

43. Tootles - The Carnival of Venice
Really darned good for only 5 months at the piano. Keep at it!

I enjoyed your performance! I think you have a really nice touch.

48. lithotriptor - Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor
Good work. You’ve got an excellent framework here on which to take this to the next level. As it is right now, it sounds a bit “notey” and homogenous. I myself would spice it up by adding more in the way of rubato and dynamics to make it more interesting to the listener.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738540
05/21/18 10:52 PM
05/21/18 10:52 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I had been thinking of rejoining the Piano World forums around the time that Sam S messaged me re: this 50th recital. I'm so glad he did! What a great recital -- so many great performances, as well as motivation to see what other adult beginners have accomplished.

A big thank you to everyone who listened to my piece.

peyton
- You're right, it does have a mysterious quality!

bSharp(C)yclist
- Ah, neat that you had the sheet music to follow, and I agree that dynamics could use some more work.

cmb13
- Thanks!

Jouishy
- After recording this recital piece, I *definitely* plan to play on the acoustic more!

FrankieC
- Thank you!

MeganR
- "Full of mystery and secrets" -- I like it.

Ralphiano
- Thanks! Interesting to hear that other people are aware of it.

Sam S
- Thanks for listening, and thanks for sending me the message about this 50th recital!

Serge 88
- I was really surprised at how easy it was to get a good recording after a minimal amount of googling research! Of course the microphone helped as well smile

Comments on selected pieces coming soon!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90] #2738563
05/22/18 02:19 AM
05/22/18 02:19 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by zrtf90
52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6

Wow! Thanks for the detailed analysis, Richard. I will review it before my practice this evening. Like you say, I'm still green and have difficulty controling the tone to make it sound the way I hear it in my head but I'm working on that hard. I'll be sure to apply your advice. Thanks again! smile

Thanks to everyone else who commented too.

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Rameau L'Egyptienne
Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI:37
Field Nocturne no. 10
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single violin or cello voice on DP?
by Novembre. 01/22/19 09:40 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/22/19 08:33 PM
any backing tracks styles app for piano play?
by ander. 01/22/19 06:17 PM
Getting my first expensive Piano - Kawai CA 78?
by DevNoteHQ. 01/22/19 04:36 PM
Used digital pianos: Yamaha P-140?
by tcquinn. 01/22/19 04:16 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,739
Posts2,784,920
Members92,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission