Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
82 registered members (90125, Carey, Beowulf, Artur Gajewski, Charles Cohen, 7uturu, Bett, 15 invisible), 902 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738151
05/20/18 03:59 AM
05/20/18 03:59 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Peyton,

Nice! Your title and start of the piece remind me of George Crumb's celestial Mechanics stuff. I guess you might have a knack for composing more extreme, like that (especially check out the 2nd part, Beta Cygni)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Pianist685] #2738186
05/20/18 08:15 AM
05/20/18 08:15 AM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S

Thank you to the following individuals for their kind comments: Monica K., MarieJ, Pianist685, Tubbie0075, JoBert, Sam S, piano_primo_1, SwissMS, MeganR, casinitaly, peterws, Riddler, FrankieC, akc42, Ralphiano, noobpianist, outo, cmb13, Peyton, and Ael M.

And to answer a couple of questions:

Originally Posted by Pianist685
02 SMA55 (Shepherd) – Liszt, Romance Oh, how wonderful. I love this piece and your rendition. To be honest, I was quite surprised what I got when I clicked on your recording since I expected Liszt’s “Romance oubliée” from 1880, this one
www.imslp.org/wiki/Romance_oubliée,_S.527_(Liszt,_Franz)
but the version you are playing is much better. Is the score somewhere in the internet?

Thank you! You can find the score for this piece here.

Originally Posted by noobpianist90

02. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Romance
That was great! Very nicely played. The audio and video were also very crisp and professional. The voicing of the melody line was very elegant.
I really like the sound of your piano. Very rich and full tone. Perfect for music from the romantic era.
I agree with you, the lyrical and less showy pieces by Liszt are really nice. Although I wouldn't say no to listening to some of his etudes and rhapsodies smile
I haven't learned any Liszt pieces as of yet. I was thinking of either this one (S.169 right?) or one of the Consolations.

Thank you! And yes, you've correctly identified this piece as S.169.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738198
05/20/18 09:22 AM
05/20/18 09:22 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the week ...

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35

I really like this Schumann piece. Thanks for playing it and introducing it me to it. You're playing is really nice. I may have to try this whenever I move on to RCM 6. It appears to be in the repertoire book for 2015.

61. Keselo - Quasi Adagio

Well done, Keselo. Bartok is always a good choice, lots of interesting pieces in that set.

62. MeganR - Sonata in D Minor K 32

That was beautiful Megan, well done. Trills sounded good to me.

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered

This was fantastic. Thanks for introudcing Bill Evans. Found him on GoogleMusic. I'll have to check out more of his work.

64. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman"

Nice job on the Mozart pieces. Mozart is a tricky guy ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738209
05/20/18 10:11 AM
05/20/18 10:11 AM
Midwest US
E
ElaineAllegro Online content

Silver Subscriber
ElaineAllegro  Online Content

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
BEETHOVEN

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13 I followed the link to your imslp site – that’s quite a lot of recordings you have shared for future listening! (I see that I had already listened to your very excellent recording of Chopin’s Military Polonaise when considering pieces to work on, but decided my hand-stretch was not big enough to do it credit.) I enjoyed listening to your Adagio. The middle section (“triplet section”) was especially well-played; you bring out that melody so clearly. Also, the ending was very well paced. My only suggestion is that you may want to try to get the opening theme to sing even more. It might be something about the piano or the recording system; to my ears, each top note in a main theme phrases following the 1st note of the phrase seemed a bit too pronounced, like a new start. Please keep sharing your recordings – very enjoyable overall!

14. Alan Chandler (akc42) - Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile) This is an impressive achievement, especially since you’ve been back to piano less than a year! Yes, there were ups and downs, but… Bravo to you and to your piano teacher for supporting you in this endeavor. The voicing is very clear, especially for the main theme initially and when it repeats. Good job of bringing out the LH melody ~m. 46 and thereabouts. You have a nice foundation for coming back to this piece when you’ve put in some more time and technical work.

For Constantin and Alan and anyone else who wants to weigh in on this: I need to listen to more recordings before upcoming recitals to decide about the best/most musical approach to m. 7-8 and similar elsewhere in the piece. M. 7 has notes that would seem to be portato (notes with staccato dots but connected by a slur) while m. 8 has just staccato dots on the last 5 notes (at least, per Henle). My teacher thought both measures should be played portato. We also discussed whether to pedal or not on those 5 notes in m. 8; my compromise was to try a separate light pedal on each note, which I probably did not achieve. It’s interesting to hear the varied approaches to these details. (See my #59 of this recital.)

34. dynamobt/Marilyn - Op 26 Theme and Var I Congratulations on your new hip – and getting back to piano so quickly! This was very nicely played, and showed a lot of thought and attention to detail. I agree the tempo felt a bit slow in the theme, but it worked really well for Variation I, which was lovely, very musical – I really enjoyed listening. Are you going to continue with more of the variations? From the score, some look as if a third hand might come in handy.

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement Notes to self: Bring out the melody more. Connect melody notes better. Figure out 3 against 4 at long last (m. 67). Breathe. Rest means rest. Grow longer fingers so they don’t flatten out on the keyboard. Onward to Movement I!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738220
05/20/18 11:00 AM
05/20/18 11:00 AM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
61. Keselo - Quasi Adagio Very nicely played, as you say, one of Bartok's more accessible pieces.

63. Tim Adrianson - Time Remembered This was wonderful, tender and emotional I didn't detect jaggedness but don't know the piece.

64. joangolfing - Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman" What a fun set of variations, I can see why you enjoying playing this piece.

65. xyzzy - Dreamsville Mancini wrote so much great music, you did a great job with this piece.

66. Sara_M - "For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song Well done! If I were a cold goose, I would come in to warm up with your playing.

67. SandTiger - Into the Meadow Very evocative of spring, indeed. Really enjoyed

68. Moo smile - Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1 Have been enjoying these Songs without Words, this was great. At some point, when I'm capable I might take a crack at these pieces.

69. h8dk97 - Kleine Studie Very nicely played, and I agree that sometimes producing pianissimo can be challenging, especially on an upright. It can take a while to really get to know your instrument.

70. lyricmudra - Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031 Just a beautiful performance of this piece from my favorite composer.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738222
05/20/18 11:09 AM
05/20/18 11:09 AM
NH
D
dynamobt Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

NH
Thanks everyone who has listened and commented on my submission to date. New hip is doing great! I’m walking a mile a day now with no cane! Yes, I am going to forge ahead on the Variations. As Sam has said, “It’s slow going.” But I’m in no rush. I played the Beethoven in my end of year Evaluations yesterday. I’m enjoying playing. Now I am really becoming bionic with two artificial shoulders and two artificial hips!

Thanks for all the positive reviews!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738233
05/20/18 12:02 PM
05/20/18 12:02 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart

I'm starting to appreciate Rollin's work more. This was a treat to listen to, well done. I may have to try it sometime. My introduction to Rollin was Prelude in D♭ Major. I enjoy playing it, even though it's etude in RCM.

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour

This made me chuckle - not your playing though, I really enjoyed it. I had to laugh when I saw the cheeseburger though smile

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List

A nice change from the classical stuff. Were you playing this from ear? I really enjoyed it, like the Yamaha sound smile

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466

Well done on the Scarlatti Sonata. It's a beautiful piece.

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement

That was beautiful, Cherly. Love the piano! I enjoyed the video very much. I'd like to try this someday ... smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2738241
05/20/18 12:38 PM
05/20/18 12:38 PM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
BEETHOVEN
For Constantin and Alan and anyone else who wants to weigh in on this: I need to listen to more recordings before upcoming recitals to decide about the best/most musical approach to m. 7-8 and similar elsewhere in the piece. M. 7 has notes that would seem to be portato (notes with staccato dots but connected by a slur) while m. 8 has just staccato dots on the last 5 notes (at least, per Henle). My teacher thought both measures should be played portato. We also discussed whether to pedal or not on those 5 notes in m. 8; my compromise was to try a separate light pedal on each note, which I probably did not achieve. It’s interesting to hear the varied approaches to these details. (See my #59 of this recital.)

M7 I know I did wrong. I had discussed this with my teacher and decided I should pedal each individual note in the second half of the measure, BUT I had also been getting the timing off playing the Db with the RH thumb and I was so busy concentrating on that that I forgot to pedal :-(

M8, last 5 notes my score (ABRSM Signature Series - edited by Barry Cooper) has these marked with Staccatissimo markings (I think, they seem more like teardrops than triangles, but are so small that with my eyesight I can't be sure). I listened to Barenboim's interpretation of these and have been trying to copy how he does it, which if I understand portato correctly is like that - certainly not Staccatissimo.

Thanks to your, and every one else's kind words about my recital. I barely scraped grade 3 when I gave up at around 10 or 11 years of age and I've surprised my self at how far I appear to have advanced now I am more mature, just through what appears to have been life experiences - certainly not as a result of touching the piano. I'm excited as to where the future might take me now I am trying hard to advance.

Last edited by akc42; 05/20/18 12:38 PM.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738275
05/20/18 03:52 PM
05/20/18 03:52 PM
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline

Thanks so much to peterws, Sam S, SMA55, casinitaly, and MarieJ for the kind comments and encouragement!

23. J Soo - Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
I think you mean Op. 23 No. 5 wink
I enjoyed your playing very much. I think your choice of tempo changes the piece completely. Most recordings I hear are blistering fast and you cant really hear the intricacies of the piece. I couldn't make out any of the accuracy problems you mention.
My favourite part of this piece is the section from 3:20 to 4:20. I really liked how you built up to the crescendo and subtly increased the tempo.
If you don't mind, I'll be saving your recording and using it as a reference while I learn this piece (many many years from now).

Right, Opus 23! Exchanging 3s and 8s is one of my more common typos for some reason. Of course you're welcome to save the recording! What I find hardest about that accelerando is not overshooting the mark and ending up too fast.

My next batch, as before from a randomly-ordered list:

6. Jason Lenthe - Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846

Bravo, you make the fugue sound much easier than it really is. I like the pulse you give to both prelude and fugue.

1. Teddy J. - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt)

You've already gotten loads of good advice and encouragement; I'll just reiterate the value of an instructor who understands your goals. And that I look forward to hearing more from you.

44. Arluster Turner - Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4

Exactly right to let the melody sing out, and to vary the accompaniment. I'd like to hear that melody all the way through the three closing chords, i.e., bring out the top note more.

96. Venu V - Sonata in D Minor K 34

Well done, clearly articulated. A few of the ornaments are giving you enough trouble that you have to slow down, losing the pulse -- practice without ornaments to get the rhythm down solid, then add them back in but make them as simple as needed so you can stay in the flow.

95. Pathbreaker - Prelude in E Major

Beautiful, loved everything about your performance, and you have me rethinking how to do those left-hand trills.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738299
05/20/18 06:41 PM
05/20/18 06:41 PM
Ireland (ex England)
Z
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Z

Ireland (ex England)
17. cmb13 - Craig - Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido
For 4.5 years, Craig, this is very impressive. You've a good grasp of the overall effect even if you've not managed to bring all of it out in this performance.

The first thing I look for when starting a piece like this is where the climax is and how to go about bringing it out. Here it's quite clearly in M42 but compare the two parallel passages, M33-34 and M41-42. In the first Liszt has put a tenuto over the first three quarters in M34 over a quiet LH that stops halfway through the bar. He's spreading out the descent smoothly to reduce the punch. In M41 he stretches the climactic build up from eighths to quarters, adds an octave below each one and accents the actual climactic chord in M42 before the retarded cadence, now reduced to eighths, giving greater weight and pwerto the main chord. In M41 you've begun with the loudest note first and stifled the rise whereas in M34 you've put so much air around the descending notes that they take on more weight than they deserve. As a listener these two passages seem to take equal importance.

Looking at the first measure, the common time marking has four beats, the first and the three A-flats but Liszt beams the RH notes as one group and elsewhere divides the bar into two. Do we take the measures as four groups of triplets, as two groups of six, or one group of twelve? Or even as one group of six followed by three groups of two echoing the rising figure in RH at M22 and M26. I tend to add an accelerando to the four central descending notes and a ritardando to the last two or three but keep the weight of the accents light to maintain the peacefulness. I think you've left too much space after the first bass note making the rest of each measure sound a bit rushed - defeating the lento placido instruction.

Watch the climax in M14. It feels like you're slowing down which diminishes the effect of the crescendo and the double length of the accented quarter note at the top, which you might even exaggerate as a fermata. Also put a little more air around the rising notes at the end of M16, they're marked staccato but I treat them more as non-legato, as the end of the first section falls gracefully away.

The tempo thing is complex. Professionals have such a wide dynamic compass and such surety in the balance between the hands that they can give the impression of moving faster by virtue of being smoother. Take your tempo from your own ability to contain the dynamics both between successive notes and between the hands and not on the beat of a metronome. At no time should we ever perform a piece faster than we can actually play.

If you're still continuing to work on this piece I'd love to see a thread dedicated to it. There are a lot of people in the ABF who've played this who might offer more input and many more might have it on their wish list to benefit from it. It's one of two popular choices of first Liszt pieces and you have this piece well enough to get much benefit from a closer look at the text.

This really is good for your time at the instrument and it's ready to go to the next level as soon as you are.

Richard
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738305
05/20/18 07:14 PM
05/20/18 07:14 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Half way there ..., or a little Iess I guess.

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3

That was a treat to listen to, professional. I followed along with a score. Looks very challenging!

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major

That was really fun to watch, and was played well I thought. How many cameras do you have running? The different camera angles is nice. Congrats on new piano!

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6

I didn't know there was such a thing as easy Chopin smile You played it well I thought, nice job!

53. FrankieC - Reverie

I thought this was absolutely fantastic, your stuff is always is smile No video this time? I would enjoy seeing it with your other videos on YouTube.

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano

I though this was really good. I followed along with sheets found on IMSLP. I really liked the later movement (#5). Well done!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738309
05/20/18 07:57 PM
05/20/18 07:57 PM
Midwest US
E

Silver Subscriber

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
SCHUBERT (3)

38. Ganddalf - Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960 I’m so sorry to hear about your brother’s passing. You chose a lovely piece with which to honor his memory. This is played gorgeously – technically, musically, and emotionally – with smooth transitions through the various harmonic shifts and accompaniments. The 7 ½ minutes passed by so quickly, as I was engrossed in the music. Thank you for sharing this.

49. Richard (zrtf90) - Staendchen I love this piece; it’s somewhere on my wish list – at least, my “wish to listen to” list. I enjoyed listening to your recording – twice. (I downloaded a score that shows both the regular version and “ossia piu facile” which I assume is the “easier” version, but it doesn’t look too user-friendly to me.) What a lovely challenge and accomplishment!

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3 This is a very well-played and interesting take on this piece – more elegant, while some others are sprightly like elves, and some more earthy. I’ve listened a few times and will keep this in my inspiration collection.

Disclaimer: I just started working on this and some other Schubert pieces – my first attempts at Schubert. Each section has one measure that trips me up, but you handled them all so smoothly!

At some point, someone titled this “Air Russe,” so I was visualizing it as a folk dance. I was very surprised to find that Isabella Duncan choreographed this piece - yet again a different perspective. Here are two videos with dancers who studied/worked with her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2GgIMM060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVsR57Soz_4

I also found part of a MM3master class by Sir Andras Schiff on this and other Moments Musicaux.

I’m looking forward to hearing more of your Schubert repertoire when it is ready.

Schubert, Moments Musicaux & Impromptu Op 90 No 2; Dvorak, Dumka & Furiante Op 12; Bach Inventions #2, 3, 4, 15; Haydn Trio XV:25 (Gypsy Rondo); Frank Bridge, Miniatures, Romance (trio)
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738310
05/20/18 07:58 PM
05/20/18 07:58 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Here is some more!

50. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Moments Musicaux No. 3
I like that piece very much. Your interpretation is sensible. A little bit on the slow side, but it is better to play slowly and being in control!

51. thomaspiano - Minuet in G Major
My first piece on the piano!
Very well done. Your ornaments are very cute. We can tell you have more background than I had when playing this one. It can be tricky to play ornaments and yours are perfects.

52. qazsedcft - Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6
Too bad the audio isn’t terrible. smirk I nearly learnt that piece this year (but had to settle for something else for my exams).
The emotions and dynamics seem very good to me. I like your interpretation. smile

53. FrankieC – Reverie
I love it! This is one of my favorite from Debussy and your interpretation is wonderful. Thanks to have shared that with us!

54. Greywullf - Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano
Very interesting piece! I’ve never look (or listen) into composers from spanish countries. The sounds are very different.
The fifth movement is well known (though I can’t remember where I’ve heard it) and your rendition is great.

55. NancyM333 - A Special Place in Your Heart
Pretty little piece. I like the mood of it.
And yes, I agree with your comments : it can be very fun to play “easy” pieces so we can go deeper in the interpretation. I’ve practiced the prelude no 4 as my second piece of all time at the piano, and I’ve butchered it! Then, I’ve listen to some professional pianists playing it and I was amazed how beautiful it could be!

56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour
Les gens qui arrivent à jouer à l’oreille ont toute mon admiration! Très belle interprétation. Ça m’a donné envie de chanter. smile

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List
I don’t know if it is the stress, but I’ve noticed some fluidity issues / hesitations at the beginning, but only at the beginning. Otherwise very good interpretation. smile

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466
I don’t know how different is Scarlatti compared to Bach when playing. I always felt Baroque was harder to play because of the counterpoint. It is always challenging. I don’t really know that piece, but I enjoyed listening to you. Didn’t feel anything “romanticized” and voices seemed balanced to my ear. Bravo.

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement
Such a lovely movement! The Pathetique and the Tempest are my favorite Beethoven sonatas.
The transition around 1m10 is a little bit weird. Something around 3m20 too (I wish I could be more specific on what the problem is, but I don’t know smirk. I just hear that it is not very smooth).
I don’t know if it is at all helpful, but be assured I really enjoyed listening to the piece and that I would be very happy if I could manage to play it as well as you do!

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738312
05/20/18 08:28 PM
05/20/18 08:28 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Oh, and I should say : I've read everyone who comments on my piece and I'm thankful of your comments. I won't quote everyone; mostly, it was simple appreciation on my interpretation, which is always great to hear. So thank you. smile

Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2738315
05/20/18 09:19 PM
05/20/18 09:19 PM
Midwest US
E

Silver Subscriber

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
...[deleted very kind remarks blush] The transition around 1m10 is a little bit weird. Something around 3m20 too (I wish I could be more specific on what the problem is, but I don’t know, I just hear that it is not very smooth).
[deleted more very nice remarks]...

Hi, Jouishy,
I'm glad you enjoyed listening. I appreciate your kind compliments. Since I'm putting every note under a microscope this week, I checked out these two spots. 1.10 seemed ok to me; well, maybe not. There is a 32nd note pickup to the next measure, and accurate counting does not come naturally to me, so it was either too or too late. Hard for me to tell. I'll keep an eye on it. Around 3.20 <sigh>... That's where the LH melody is supposed to come out, and actually crescendo, while the RH, which is playing thick 4 and 5 note repeated chords, is supposed to be very quiet, except for the top note, which the small 5th finger should make sing over all of this. But it didn't happen quite that way, alas. Tell me it IS possible to grow longer fingers beyond midlife! Thank you again for listening!

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738316
05/20/18 09:25 PM
05/20/18 09:25 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Florida
77. PhilzPiano - Andante op 453 no 32
Phil, the Czerny piece certainly has a lot of charm, which surprises me because I associate his name with finger exercises. It seems to me that you have overcome your injuries and are playing well again. Good job.

81. dinahp18 - Invention 13
Well done. Very spirited, very Bach-y, very musical. Good left hand work, too!

84. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement
Great job, Mel. Very precise, even at this challenging tempo. Hayden would approve!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738319
05/20/18 09:32 PM
05/20/18 09:32 PM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Ahahahahah! I think every pianist would like bigger hands! Then, you go listen to 8 years-old that plays better than you and you think that hand size doesn't matter. ^^

I understand your struggle. It is common that we have to make that pinkie play a note louder than the other fingers, which is really hard to do. My teacher often tells me to keep that finger curved, so it is solid when playing, and sometimes to rotate the hand clockwise so my pinkie is nearer the keyboard compared to other fingers. Sometimes, I flattened the other fingers if possible, so they play softer.

This is tricky, but I guess you can get the hang of it after a while.
Teachers's advices are precious for those kind of things, imo.

Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738329
05/20/18 11:52 PM
05/20/18 11:52 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
56. Serge88 - La Maladie d'Amour What a sweet ‘chanson’ - and nicely played - thank you for presenting this one.

57. Greener/Jeff - Schindler's List A nice touch celebrating the 50th Recital by echoing your very first recorded piece: we all have a lot to thank these Recitals for. You brought out the slightly melancholic atmosphere - well done.

58. dumka1 - Sonata in f minor K 466 Well, this unfamiliar piece certainly sounded challenging to me. I’m not qualified to give useful feedback other than to say that I was impressed!

59. ElaineAllegro - Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement Such a treat! One of my all-time favourites, beautifully played. I particularly admired your Steingraeber’s lovely ringing treble notes.

60. Pavel.K - Mignon Op.68 No.35 Two happy accidents, which brought us this confidently-handled submission. Excellent work!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LII

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738333
05/21/18 02:25 AM
05/21/18 02:25 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Thanks to everybody who listened to my rendition, especially to ElaineAllegro (reading your jolly comments is always rather enjoyable, they make me smile), h8dk97, JoBert, SamS, piano_primo_1, SwissMS, Monika K., peterws, MarieJ, akc42, FrankieC, MeganR, Ralphiano, Ed Riddler, cmb13, SMA55, Peyton, outo, casinitaly.

Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
My only suggestion is that you may want to try to get the opening theme to sing even more. It might be something about the piano or the recording system; to my ears, each top note in a main theme phrases following the 1st note of the phrase seemed a bit too pronounced, like a new start.
Exactly. Congratulations, you have discovered the dirty secret of Galaxy Vintage D. The sounds are “looped” in order to save disk space so it can be delivered on just one CD. Only a short sample of each note is recorded and repeated again and again at lower volumes to give a long note. In order to make the joints less noticeable, the software lets the sound quickly die, but as a consequence the melody won't sing especially in the p region. I tried to compensate by giving the notes a small kick but that was maybe counterproductive.

I did notice that accompaniment got a bit loud occasionally
When I play it on my notebook, the recording is more high-frequent and the accompaniment becomes quite loud. When I play it on my hifi system everything is less high-frequent and the accompaniment is quite soft.

Originally Posted by JoBert
Just a few rhythmically uneven bits here and there though
Nope. Just some rubato.

Re: Recital 50 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2738337
05/21/18 03:25 AM
05/21/18 03:25 AM
L
lithotriptor Offline
lithotriptor  Offline
L

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

- Riddler - no, not parakeets, just some sparrows in the backyard:) You have good ears though.

- Elaine Allegro - good advice, I agree, the left hand is a bit too loud. On the other hand it's mostly because my cheap microphone is more sensitive to bass notes.

KZ

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single violin or cello voice on DP?
by Novembre. 01/22/19 09:40 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/22/19 08:33 PM
any backing tracks styles app for piano play?
by ander. 01/22/19 06:17 PM
Getting my first expensive Piano - Kawai CA 78?
by DevNoteHQ. 01/22/19 04:36 PM
Used digital pianos: Yamaha P-140?
by tcquinn. 01/22/19 04:16 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,739
Posts2,784,920
Members92,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission