Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
110 registered members (AndyP, AaronSF, ahumdrumoflife, amad23, agent8698, antwilk, Agent88, ando, AlphaBravoCharlie, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 #2736549
05/14/18 09:23 PM
05/14/18 09:23 PM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
A

[Linked Image]

Welcome to the 50th AB Forum "Beginners and Beyond" Online Recital!!!!

We have a special treat before we launch into the usual instructions and, of course, the music. Because this is such a major milestone in the history of the recitals, we asked two special individuals to give us their thoughts on this event. The first is Frank Baxter, the man who started PianoWorld and gave us this home-away-from-home where we can share our love for piano and music, and the other is Mr Super-Hunky, the man who came up with the brilliant idea of holding the online recitals in the first place. So, with no further ado, it is my pleasure to introduce:

Frank Baxter --- Founder of PianoWorld

First, CONGRATULATIONS! To everyone involved in the ABF, and particularly to those who have participated
in the recitals over the years, you are to be commended for showing the world there are still lots of people who love the piano, and
that they can put all other differences aside and get along because of their shared love of the instrument, the music, and the people!

A few words about the 50th recital milestone! ok more than a few (I'm known for rambling on, please bear with me)...

I started Piano World as a hobby over twenty years ago. I had discovered the Internet (oh wait, that was Al Gore wasn't it?) and
was fascinated by the ability to reach out to people across the country and around the world. My father was a Ham operator (those
of you too young to know, look it up) and the Internet reminded me of this.

A few people happened to stumble upon my posts (back then it was at something like http://www.tiac.net/users/pianos/...) and they
asked me some questions which got me thinking about other things I could post. The more I posted, the more people came around to visit
and interact (you can see some posts from 1999, 2000 here: forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/919373/forums-nostalgia.html

That's when I started thinking just maybe Piano World (it was called All About Pianos in the early days) could make a small difference in, well, the piano world. I've loved the piano as long as I can remember (which some days is about 2 hours, but that's another story). My goal has
always been to get others interested, and help those who want to learn to play, fix, restore, buy, sell, ... pianos.

Today the one area of Piano World I am most proud of is our forums. I love that so many people gravitate to our forums and participate in
conversations (or lurk, as I know many of you do). And the forum I'm most proud of is the ABF. The ABF was spun off from another forum
years ago, as a place where adults could feel comfortable whether they were just beginning their journey, or returning to it after a many
year absence.

And I'm particularly proud of you folks for creating and maintaining the recitals, Bravo!
Imagine, the 50th recital! Wow! Now that's a milestone you can all be proud of.

For anyone who doubts they can learn to play the piano, or that they can "perform in front of others", this is the living proof.
And I love that you all encourage each other, it isn't a contest, you aren't being judged, it's encouragement and fun, just what
piano playing should be.

Kathy and I have had the privilege of attending piano parties all across the U.S. and even some in Europe.
The premise is the same as the recitals, it's to have fun and share your love of piano with others, period!

In closing (I know, you thought I'd never get there) I want to thank all of you for being kind to one another and for
making Piano World, and the piano world a better place.

Looking forward to the next 50!

All the Best,
Frank and Kathy
From Piano World Headquarters in Parsonsfield Maine

Mr Super-Hunky --- Creator of the AB Forum Recitals

From our modest beginnings of just trying to figure out how to post a 'compilation of members recordings', to the well oiled [and administered] machine that it is today, our Adult Beginner Forums "Beginners and Beyond" quarterly online recitals have come a long way.

It was through the combined efforts of many ABF members who contributed their time and talents over the past twelve years to enable these quarterly recitals to evolve into the huge success that it is today featuring over 500 performers from all over the world. This is something that everyone involved, from the administrators to the performers, can be very proud of.

It has been said that "Music is what feelings sound like", and that statement couldn't be more true after listening to the amount of thoughtful effort and emotional input that goes into each and every ABF recital submission from our members. We truly are a unique group of people who have realized that our musical journey IS our destination!

Looking forward to the next twelve years as the journey continues..

Mr Super-Hunky.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736551
05/14/18 09:29 PM
05/14/18 09:29 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 50th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital 50 Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #50 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 50 Zip 1
Recital 50 Zip 2
Recital 50 Zip 3
Recital 50 Zip 4
Recital 50 Zip 5
Recital 50 Zip 6
Recital 50 Zip 7
Recital 50 Zip 8
Recital 50 Zip 9
Recital 50 Zip 10
Recital 50 Zip 11
Recital 50 Zip 12
Recital 50 Zip 13

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736557
05/14/18 09:44 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Teddy J.
Experience:~ 1 year
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt)
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:04:06
Source of music:I used Paul Barton's notated scores. https://goo.gl/ApDUc2
Instrument used:Kawai Concert Performer CP-155
Recording method:I used an audio pole (boom pole) in order to pick up both of the speakers on the digital piano, and converted it to mp3.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I'm more than aware this is not the perfect rendition of the Ballade. I feel bad to have to cut this piece in parts, as the entirety of it is beautiful. But due to a constrained amount of practice and performing time, this is the best performance I can give. I am aware as well that I am being (probably too) ambitious to be attempting this Ballade at one year, but being sixteen, I know I have to play some catch-up if I want to be a classical pianist full time. I plan on finishing and cleaning this Ballade to perfection, and continuing to participate in these recitals for the foreseeable future. Please give as much constructive criticism as you are willing, I want to improve myself in any way I can. Thank you!

If you need it, this is my forum profile: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/97136.html

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736558
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:SMA55 (Shepherd)
From:Chicago originally, currently residing in St. Louis
Experience:Self-taught as a child, then stopped playing for decades. Began classical lessons 4 years ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/NpcdAQ959Vs
Title of piece:Romance
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:03:13
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music
Instrument used:Steingraeber & Sohne D232
Recording method:Zoom H4n for audio, Zoom Q8 for video. Mp3 converted via Audacity. Audio and video synced using iMovie on my Mac.
Additional info:Liszt's "Romance" is a little gem of a piece that is not at all well known, and its history is a little complicated. It was written originally by Liszt as a young man, apparently as a vocal composition, but it was all but forgotten by him. Nearly 40 years later, a music dealer uncovered the score and sent it to Liszt, and the former asked the latter if he would allow him to publish it. Liszt was so surprised to have seen this long forgotten work of his that he titled it "Romance oubliette", or "Forgotten Romance". He then rewrote it for solo piano, and titled it simply "Romance". (Liszt also scored the work for piano and violin, piano and viola, and piano and cello.). It's unclear whether or not the piano version was ever published during Liszt's lifetime, as it first appeared posthumously in 1908.

I myself am partial to the less showy of Liszt's compositions, and so this one is in definitely in my wheelhouse. I've now submitted three Liszt pieces to the ABF recitals, and this one happens to be my favorite. I hope you like it, too. Thanks for listening!

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736559
05/14/18 09:45 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:UnderConstruction
Experience:2.5 years as a child, 3.5 years now as a returning adult
Video link:https://youtu.be/nG_LdpzGjZQ
Title of piece:Grande Valse Brillante Op18
Composer:F. Chopin
Duration:06:13
Source of music:IMSLP sheet music
Instrument used:Feurich 218
Recording method:iPad + Tascam
Additional info:This Grande Valse Brillante Opus 18 was Chopin's first published
waltz, which I guess is fitting for this occasion! Thought I'd give
myself a challenge and try it for this recital and challenged I was!
It took me about a billion tries, and there are still quite some
mashed notes but its the best I can do for now, so here goes nothing.
smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736561
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:7+ years
Title of piece:Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2
Composer:Francois Couperin
Duration:05:14
Source of music:Sheet music, mostly from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:Francois Couperin came from a musically talented family - his father and his father's brother Louis Couperin were well known organist in Paris. When his father died (when he was 11), he already was promised to get his father's position as organist at 18 and got a regular salary there at 17. At 24 he succeeded his teacher at the royal court as well.

This piece comes from his 13th Ordre, 1722. All the ornaments in Couperin's works are highly detailed, but generally performers had quite some freedom to change these to good taste. But I mostly stick with the score in my performance.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736562
05/14/18 09:46 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:About 2.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/OIhoTXm3pi0
Title of piece:High Heels
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:12
Source of music:Essential Einaudi - Islands
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Same as usual. Audio out from the AvantGrand N2 into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. The audio file is then extracted and noised removed using Audacity. It's then added back into the video file along with making it black and white using ffmpeg. It's old school, command line approach, but it works.
Additional info:Thanks for listening, if you choose to do so. This is now the 3rd Einaudi piece I've learned. I really enjoy playing it. It's quite relaxing. There are some missed notes and a beat of one measure is missing, oh well. It's forgiving piece though. There are probably many ways to play it and it will still sound good.

I wouldn't say it's a technically challenging piece, it really didn't take that long to learn, although I don't have it memorized. The RCM pieces I've been working on for the exam in August are probably more challenging. But, Einaudi always sounds good smile

Now I need to find a new Einaudi piece to learn. Any suggestions? Lunch? The usual salad and pumpkin seeds.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736564
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Experience:I'm guessing 5 - 10 years spread out over the last 32 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/ZPdBhKceJvk
Title of piece:Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:03:56
Source of music:The Well-Tempered Clavier Books I and II Complete, Dover Publications, 1983
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:Sony Handycam with audio extracted using Audacity (with ffmpeg and lame plugins)
Additional info:This is my first public performance since 1988. It's also my first go at a fugue which was a huge challenge to learn. I focused so much on the fugue that my most glaring mistake was in the prelude. Oh well.

One thing I find particularly amusing about playing the fugue is when the left pinky holds down a low C for the last 4 measures while the rest of the left hand plays another 30 notes!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736565
05/14/18 09:47 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ted (Ted Jones)
Experience:Sixty-seven years
Title of piece:Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60)
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:05:54
Source of music:Pure improvisation
Instrument used:Weinbach 5'10" (1971) rebuilt in 2005
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:I am here because of Sam's kind invitation to members in the general Pianoworld forums. I do not consider myself either pianist or musician in the generally accepted sense of those terms. The last music teacher I had was over fifty years ago and I worked at a factory for thirty years before retiring ten years ago; I am now seventy. Most established genres, classical, jazz and so on, fail to interest or move me any longer and although I composed many such pieces in earlier years, some of which are on the Pianoworld CD, theory is still a total mystery to me, and I just create my own music in the form of recorded free improvisation. I guess the fact that I only started doing this seriously at fifty-eight qualifies me, albeit in a peculiar way, as an adult beginner. Most of my recorded improvisations, which number around 380 since my retirement, last anywhere from 60 to 100 minutes and are very diverse in content. This is the concluding few minutes of today's and is not necessarily typical of anything else I have played or am likely to play. I seldom have the slightest notion what is going to happen when I start playing; that is part of the fun.

Pure or free improvisation would seem to be an ideal musical path for an adult beginner, as it requires no musical knowledge of or adherence to, any established idiom, past or present, and can be executed at any level of physical technique. It probably won't lead to fame, money or perpetuity but its internal rewards in later life are immense.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736567
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:thepianoplayer416
Experience:10
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/user/thepianoplayer416
Title of piece:Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)
Duration:01:33
Source of music:downloaded from IMSLP.org
Instrument used:Yamaha P95 (88 keys)
Recording method:Sony A6000 camera
Additional info:Due to my busy schedule preparing for a concert with my music group in May playing 6 pieces for orchestra, decided to rework 1 piece that was worked on before the Christmas break. The tempo was a bit slow and uneven. Took a week of on & off practice with the focus on the orchestral pieces to get to an ideal tempo.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736568
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, then self taught since December 2011
Title of piece:La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:29
Source of music:'Ludovico Einaudi - The Best Of' sheet music album
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:'La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete' translates as 'the birth of secret things'. It is from Einaudi's i Giorgi solo piano album (released in November 2001), composed following his travels throughout Africa.

I'm following in the footsteps of my role models with this piece. It was CarlosCC's first Recital submission, when he'd been playing the piano for only 11 months. I'd kept putting it to one side, but it was Monica K's polished performance six months ago that inspired me to re-visit it and try to have it ready to record. This is the closest I've managed yet.

Carlos and Monica, thank you! You'll notice the still-rough bits, but hopefully few others will ...

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736569
05/14/18 09:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:jazztpt
Experience:40+
Title of piece:Saying Goodbye
Composer:jazztpt
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507 Digital
Recording method:Recorded on piano and converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:Thank you for the invitation to play.
I haven't contributed for a while but this will be my 20th submission. I have always submitted original music and I continue this tradition with 'Saying Goodbye' a tune I wrote a very long time ago. I have submitted a couple of versions of this to the Piano Bar in the past (one quite recently) but this is a new version recorded for the 50th recital. I know the form pretty (very) well so I managed to get a decent enough version in one take (after a bit of a warm up). Lots of improvisation in this one and quite different from my last recorded version so definitely under the heading of Jazz.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736570
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:approx. 10 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzY9p70p3A4&feature=youtu.be
Title of piece:Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"
Composer:Chopin
Duration:05:46
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 214VC
Recording method:Zoom to audacity
Additional info:The history of this piece is believed to be as follows. Some, though not all, of Op. 28 was written during Chopin and George Sand's stay at a monastery in Valldemossa, Majorca in 1838.[2] In her Histoire de ma vie, Sand related how one evening she and her son Maurice, returning from Palma in a terrible rainstorm, found a distraught Chopin who exclaimed, "Ah! I knew well that you were dead." While playing his piano he had a dream:

He saw himself drowned in a lake. Heavy drops of icy water fell in a regular rhythm on his breast, and when I made him listen to the sound of the drops of water indeed falling in rhythm on the roof, he denied having heard it. He was even angry that I should interpret this in terms of imitative sounds. He protested with all his might- and he was right to - against the childishness of such aural imitations. His genius was filled with the mysterious sounds of nature, but transformed into sublime equivalents in musical thought, and not through slavish imitation of the actual external sounds.[3]

Sand did not say which prelude Chopin played for her on that occasion, but most music critics assume it to be no. 15, because of the repeating drone, with its suggestion of the "gentle patter" of rain.[4] However, Peter Dayan points out that Sand accepted Chopin's protests that the prelude was not an imitation of the sound of raindrops, but a translation of nature's harmonies within Chopin's "genie".[5] Frederick Niecks says that the prelude "rises before one's mind the cloistered court of the monastery of Valldemossa, and a procession of monks chanting lugubrious prayers, and carrying in the dark hours of night their departed brother to his last resting-place."(Niecks, Frederick (2009). Frederick Chopin as a Man and Musician)

I really enjoy playing this piece. It has such deep emotion. The biggest challenges are keeping the drone regular and subdued, voicing the large chords properly, and creating the build of the tension. The Youtube video is better than the mp3. I submitted it later, but did not want to resubmit.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736571
05/14/18 09:49 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons as a child, 30+ without a teacher since
Home page link:http://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:10
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with Pianodisc silent system, Galaxy Vintage D
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI cable to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, recorded with Savihost plugin
Additional info:I was a bit uncertain what kind of piece to submit for this very special recital. Some less-known piece to discover would suit as well as one of the great piano hits everybody knows. I eventually opted for the latter. This recording is the third version from April, 18th. I discarded my two former versions from February and March which I did not like any more after having heard Rubinstein and Yundi play this piece on Youtube. The main difficulty of this piece lies in putting the different voices in relation to each other.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736572
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Paige
Experience:About 17 or so years of self teaching with about 8 weeks of lessons
Title of piece:Sonatina op 36 no 3
Composer:Clementi
Duration:07:47
Source of music:Bastien Piano Literature Volume 3
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius electric piano
Recording method:Garage band
Additional info:This is no where near perfect, but I figured this is a good time to get some feedback on it. That being said,I am way more comfortable with the first and second movement than I am the third. Its a work in progress, but not too terrible considering I've taken about the past 5 or 6 years off and decided to pick it back up with a great teacher!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736573
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Alan Chandler (akc42)
Experience:Learnt to Grade 3 as Child (1956 - 1961) then restarted in September 2017
Video link:https://youtu.be/rqrRukHXARc
Home page link:https://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
Title of piece:Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile)
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:05
Source of music:ABRSM Signature Series
Instrument used:Kawai CA67
Recording method:Internal Recorder, convert to WAV on USB, then Audacity to MP3
Additional info:This is my second major piece to have learnt since restarting last September (2017). I was initially thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew when I chose this piece, but my piano teacher suggested I "go for it". I struggled for a while with the first 16 bars thinking I would never be able to play the whole piece, but eventually it started to come together and I have got it to the level in this recording made on 1 May 2018. Although this was a long struggle (4 1/2 months) it has taught me a lot about voicing and control of the left hand and I do think it was worth the effort in the end. However I feel it is about as far as I can take it without much more experience and time.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736575
05/14/18 09:50 PM
05/14/18 09:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:GoldmanT
Experience:Organ lessons from 8-13, then the guitar and synth years, then picked up piano again last year.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgI9f40V5a8
Title of piece:Bruyeres
Composer:Claude Debussy
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Sheet music (Schirmer)
Instrument used:Kawai CN35
Recording method:USB
Additional info:There are a few wrong notes but people who don't know the tune probably wouldn't pick up on them, so I kept this take as I was happy with a lot of the rest of the performance.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736582
05/14/18 10:05 PM
05/14/18 10:05 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Too many even for me now . . .
Video link:https://youtu.be/39HZ3Yi85Sk
Title of piece:Troublesome Treadmill
Composer:Me
Duration:01:40
Source of music:Self written sheets
Instrument used:Pianoteq K2
Recording method:Memory stick wav. straight to computer. Used Vidoepad software for vid.
Additional info:I transferred the music onto paper via "Flat" notation software. Its fairly new, I think, and very innovative. Even I felt able to handle it with little bother, and in time it becomes a faster way to write music.
The song was another throwaway ditti; fun to play around with. Trouble is, when it's written down you can't play around with it . . . .or, you don't feel inclined to. So it's no longer much fun to play.
You move on. Write another.
It's like being on an eternal treadmill. And that sounds like a good next title . . . .shrug. I need a drink.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736583
05/14/18 10:06 PM
05/14/18 10:06 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:cmb13 - Craig
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/hWQ6h1ucDBw
Title of piece:Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido
Composer:Liszt
Duration:04:48
Instrument used:Boston 118 PE
Recording method:Logitech C920, Blue Yeti mic to Macbook Pro
Additional info:Composed around 1849, in the Nocturne style, this piece is felt to be in homage to Liszt's contemporary, Fredric Chopin, who had recently passed.

I recorded this piece as an adult beginner, with about 4.5 years experience. On initial takes, I found my tempo slower than the professional recordings, so I increased it for this one. A few mistakes exist, and I didn't nail the 16th note passages as well as I could have, but it was my best take, so here it is!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736584
05/14/18 10:08 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/DQs9EMkJNNQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:05:05
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV10 with Pianist Mode "Classic"
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Abendmusik (Evening Music) is No. 12 in Schumann's Opus 99 "Bunte Blaetter" (which translates to "Colorful Leaves", basically meaning "Various Sheets" in this context). After the Album for the Young, the Bunte Blaetter were another commercial success for Schumann and his publisher Arnold. It combines a number of compositions from various years, from 1836 to 1849.

With its title "Evening Music", and with the mainly p and pp dynamics (except for two sudden but very short fortes), and also with the sometimes quite long, explicitly marked pedal passages over several measures, this piece evokes in me pictures of sitting on a porch or terrace, maybe with a good glass of wine, looking over a nice garden or maybe a lake or mountain vista, with the day coming to a calm end and the sun setting, while the birds settle in for the night. Even then, it has a few interesting, almost dissonant chords and cadenzas, which sometimes, quite suddenly, pierce through the calm evening mood - until it all settles down in the end.

And congratulations, and thank you, to the organizers and the community for reaching the milestone of the 50th consecutive quarterly ABF recital! It is also a personal milestone for me, as this is at the same time the 10th consecutive recital that I participated in. Yay!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736586
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Lots but not much instruction
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVY6aARcFY&index=1&list=PL0WpUqPW18i8XOpavZg2UcY8F-WTTUiE_&t=0s
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing
Composer:Peyton
Duration:05:25
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:I thought I would re-visit my "Message From Space" saga as well as add to my "Music For..." series. The footage on the Youtube video is from drone footage I had shot earlier for a youtube movie called "Highest Drone Flight Ever". If you do watch it, and I hope you do, you really need to see the end as it all is "explained".

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736587
05/14/18 10:09 PM
05/14/18 10:09 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:fishandchips
Experience:1.5 years
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-197203213
Title of piece:French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande
Duration:04:17
Source of music:Memorized from score
Instrument used:Kawai ES110
Recording method:Galaxy Vintage D in Reaper
Additional info:I got so nervous towards the end of this recording that my hands were shaking like mad. How ridiculous! Attempting another take probably would've given me a heart attack. Cause of death: online piano recital.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736588
05/14/18 10:13 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:about 9 years since I restarted
Video link:https://youtu.be/hd-U_rkkJCQ
Title of piece:Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)
Composer:Templeton, Alec
Duration:03:37
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:You probably want to watch the video - I put on a tie...

This is my 36th consecutive quarterly recital - I started with number 13. It's been a great experience. I've learned a lot, gotten plenty of valuable experience, and struggled with the deadline every 3 months. I'm so glad I had the courage to start participating. I would not be playing as well as I am if I had kept my music to myself.

Tootles and I have been married for 38 years. She plays better clarinet than I play piano! This is a great piece, the first movement of a jazzy sonata. The piano part is more difficult than it sounds - sorry for the mistakes. I have played it better - honest!

Thanks for listening!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736590
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Sandalholme
Experience:Too many
Title of piece:Song without Words Op102 No4
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:03:03
Source of music:Henle Urtext edition
Instrument used:Pianoteq Steinway D on Kawai ES7
Recording method:Direct to midi, rendered via Pianoteq, topped and tailed in Audacity
Additional info:Still progressing being able to record more than a couple of minutes without having to cut/edit sections. I'm practicing for a charity recital in June, so that is another spur to get it (almost) right first time.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736591
05/14/18 10:15 PM
05/14/18 10:15 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:J Soo
Experience:Many
Title of piece:Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
Composer:Rachmoninoff
Duration:05:37
Source of music:Memorized from an old copy of the Schirmer collection "59 Piano Solos You Like To Play"
Instrument used:Pianoteq 6 Steinway D (Chamber Recording BA) driven by Roland FP-30
Recording method:Pianoteq WAV output converted to MP3 in iTunes
Additional info:I loved listening to my mother play this piece when I was a child. As such I always considered it "her piece" and never seriously attempted it, until late last year I finally felt like giving it a go. I'd like to play it a little faster but, obviously enough, I'm already struggling with accuracy at this tempo.

While this famous prelude certainly lends itself to bombastic (outer sections) and heavily romantic (middle section) interpretations, I prefer the performances I've heard with a lighter touch, emphasizing what I think of as its tragicomic character.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736592
05/14/18 10:16 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:About 14 years, self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/cVNHTogh3DE
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Game of Thrones (Main Title)
Composer:Ramin Djawadi
Duration:03:43
Source of music:Solo piano arrangement by Patrik Pietschmann; link to hear him playing it the way it should sound, as well as a link to purchase the sheet music can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGBxiNPu3k
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Audio mp3 file recorded with Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:My husband and I jumped very late on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, starting to watch it only last fall. I was immediately captivated by its beautiful soundtrack, and I looked for a solo piano transcription I could play. I found an arrangement by Patrik Plietschmann on YouTube (see link above) and immediately fell in love with its combination of bombastic, driving octaves in the first half and the dainty, delicate melody in the second half. So I set about trying to learn it. I found it technically very challenging--I'm not used to playing octaves fast, and the second part required a hard workout of the 4th and 5th fingers to voice the melody properly. And then there's the huge leaps in the bass at the very end. Hoowee. I don't think I've ever played it all the way through without a major blooper, and my recording is a good 50 seconds slower than Patrik's, but it's still a heck of a lot of fun to play. I should note that I had to modify four measures (leaving out a note of certain chords) to have any hope of playing it even at my slower tempo. Last, I also played the last couple of measures a few octaves higher, as I thought that better captured the tinkling harpsichord effect of the original soundtrack.

Lunch was leftover pasta with roasted butternut squash, kale, and toasted pine nuts.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736594
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Jerzyk19
Experience:18 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXYOWOBEYI
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaPf4RhG5BrDMylIRYpiAew
Title of piece:O Mio Babbino Caro
Composer:Giacomo Puccini
Duration:01:42
Source of music:Music Sheet
Instrument used:Roland LX17
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:I have to say that to put this piece together took me quite a long time. Both hands ware difficult to me but I did my best.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736595
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ael M. (aelmabalod)
Experience:11 years (I'm 17)
Title of piece:Arabesque no. 1
Duration:04:44
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Samick "upright grand"
Additional info:This piece is a special one because it's the first one I learned by myself. I was supposed to learn it with my past teacher's help 2 years ago, but she decided that it was too advanced to be an introductory piece to two-against-threes. She eventually left mid-semester and our polyrhythm lessons were discontinued. Over the past two semesters, I have been working on all 3 movements of Beethoven's Sonata no. 8, Op. 13 (Pathetique), and although the polyrhythm found in the 2nd movement was little, I had grasped the idea. I decided to start working on Debussy's Arabesque no. 1, since I fell in love with it the moment I listened to it 2 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it seemed now.

Regarding this recording, there really are a lot of mistakes here and there (the pedals, missing notes, sudden change in tempo, etc) but I decided it was better to submit this than to spend another hour in frustration trying to get a perfect recording. My perfectionisim - 0, Ael - 1. Also, it was around 10 pm when I recorded this, but I feel the cricket noises somehow make the piece feel more relaxing. Or maybe it's just me.

We recently moved to a new location and it has affected the piano's sound quality. Hence, it sounds horribly out of tune, especially during the first parts. The pedals are also somehow not working very well on my left hand keys. I'll get this checked as soon as possible, though.

Constructive criticism is much appreciated.

P.S. Paul Barton is one of the best pianists out there when it comes to interpretation! His YouTube videos of this piece helped me a lot.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736596
05/14/18 10:17 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:25 months
Title of piece:Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508
Composer:Bach - Stolzel
Duration:02:06
Source of music:J.S. Bach - Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, Alfred Publishing Co
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to MIDI, rendered with Garritan CFX, normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:This aria is composed by Stolzel and part of his opera Diomedes. Bach included a version for soprano and bass voices in his 1725 Anna Magdalena Bach Notebook.
I have played the first repeat, but not the second one.
Thank you for listening.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736597
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:Just over 8
Video link:https://youtu.be/aVfuKkKPDd4
Title of piece:Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150)
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Sheet music, though I probably played without looking at it smile
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N (Silent feature used)
Recording method:audacity to PC
Additional info:I feel in love with this piece the first time I heard it, which would have been in May, August or November of 2010 I don't remember. I do remember presenting it to my first teacher saying I longed to play it , and she said - well...we can try.
Needless to say, in my first year of playing it was waaaaay beyond me. After working on Traumerei last year, I figured I was ready for this - and so took the plunge.
Again, needless to say, it was much easier to tackle 7 years on in my piano journey!.
I've now done my first set of BIG THREE longed for pieces (Traumerei, The Town I Loved So Well, and this Waltz. I will have to start planning the next big adventures!

I recorded this a week or so ago and I have no idea what I had for the closest meal to the recording, but I did do it in one take! It's also the first time in a long time that I have made a video.
The video includes paintings I've done, mostly since January, and mostly with pastels (though one is watercolour). I am VERY new to painting - so don't expect any masterpieces smile

I've been enjoying it so much that painting is a little bit in competition with piano - but just a little bit! I try to paint in the morning when there's more light, and do piano later in the day.
So.... I hope you enjoy your listening, and if you choose, the viewing as well. I know I've had hours and hours of pleasure preparing for this!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736598
05/14/18 10:18 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Balezin Dmitriy
Experience:1 year and 3 months (self-tought)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/user/DamonLarionov
Title of piece:Mia and Sebastian theme song from "La La land"
Composer:justin hurwitz
Duration:01:42
Source of music:Sheet music found on the Internet
Instrument used:Casio CDP-130
Recording method:recorded to "line-in" of my voice recording device
Additional info:Well, I would really want to know if I did well on this piece.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736599
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:zsolpyW
Experience:12 yo as youth
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVCa8Pbn6E
Title of piece:Don't Stop Me Now
Composer:Freddie Mercury
Duration:03:49
Source of music:sheet music - internet
Instrument used:KAWAI K48
Recording method:Zoom H2n, Panasonic LX7
Additional info:I would like to present cover of one of the greatest rock music hits, "Stop Me Now", performed by the legendary band Queen.

The cover was written by Sangah Noona and it is best arrangement that I could find.

I have to admit to few bad notes but it's my best recording.

If you are interested you can find on Youtube performance done by author of the arrangement and compare with mine. I am curious what do you think about interpretation and piano sound differences (grand vs my tall upright).

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736600
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; four years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Blue In Green
Composer:Miles Davis and/or Bill Evans
Duration:02:18
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavier
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:This is a modal ballad written by Miles Davis in 1959. The melody is quite simple, but the harmonies are sophisticated. The form is "circular", meaning that when the song is played over and over, it is difficult for the listener to tell where the song begins and ends. I am playing from a lead sheet, unaccompanied.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736601
05/14/18 10:19 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Alyssa S
Experience:6 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UevSA6uA3Y
Title of piece:It's Quiet Uptown (From Hamilton)
Duration:04:39
Source of music:Self-Arranged Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX-660
Recording method:Recorded directly from the keyboard.
Additional info:I arranged this version with goal of including the instrumentals, vocals, and original feel of the original song.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736602
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ralph L.
Experience:~16 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/sM_LBzpygYg
Title of piece:Ballad Pour Adeline
Composer:Paul de Senneville
Duration:01:49
Source of music:Simplified from the Richard Clayderman version ; created backing track on yamaha psr e353,then played on top of it using Roland FP30
Recording method:Alesis linelink

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736603
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:10 unproductive years as a kid. 6 serious as an adult
Title of piece:Op 26 Theme and Var I
Composer:L. Beethoven
Duration:03:39
Source of music:Henle Sheet music
Instrument used:1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom h2n
Additional info:I'm 15 days post hip replacement surgery. And while I futzed at the piano, today was the first day I played this in a while. I wish the tempo was quicker. It drags. But, this is pretty darned good for the state I'm in. Dinner was spaghetti and meatballs.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736604
05/14/18 10:20 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Piano_primo_1
Experience:9 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7QMEznkNc
Home page link:https://wp.me/p5jsTm-1S
Title of piece:Winter Light
Composer:Zbiqniew Preisner
Duration:03:15
Source of music:Sheet
Instrument used:PX 100
Recording method:direct to laptop and Edirol DX synth
Additional info:"Winter Light"
it was the first piece I learnt on my grand piano about 9 years ago.
I heard the piece when watching the movie "The Secret Garden", and the sound of the solo piano struck me, I felt the beauty of music.
-for me this piece has a t personal aspect.
Maybe someday I'll write that story.
I had recorded this piece previously and posted it in the 'piano bars". It was quite awhile ago.
This is today's recording. I thought about what I've gained since I learned this piece 9 years ago:
Piano wise I'd say a lot of theory ,
my limits ....(which is good to know ,but they might be an illusion?)
No ..Nah, they're real.
And the lyrics seem even more true with getting "mature'? smile

AND ...The technical stuff: Recorded on a Privia PX 100 direct to a dell laptop with stings and through Cakewalk Edirol for the piano only solo.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736605
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Tubbie0075
Experience:8 years
Title of piece:Mozart Sonata K331, 1st Movement
Composer:Mozart
Duration:07:15
Source of music:Mozart Piano Sonata Volume 2, Henle
Instrument used:Yamaha Upright (AMEB exam studio, Hawthorn Centre)
Recording method:Zoom H4N1
Additional info:This performance was recorded in the exam studio I hired for practise about a week before my AMEB grade 8 exam, in October 2015. I needed to test the piano and also familiarise myself with the acoustics in the exam studio. The piano keys were really light compared to my Kawai RX-2. The piano was very bright and the reverb in the room was bouncing everywhere.

I have learned this piece for over a year before the exam, along with the 3 other exam pieces. I have made a couple of recordings prior to the exam, and this was my best attempt. Though, I wasn't very happy with my articulation and some places, especially turns, felt rather rushed.

Unfortunately, I didn't play as well during the exam and made more than a few slips! The ventilation on the ceiling kept blowing my pages and it was very distracting! That said, this was my first (and last) AMEB piano exam, and I was, and still am rather proud of my exam results.

I hope you'll enjoy this performance.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736607
05/14/18 10:27 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Snejana
Experience:4.3 years. I am entirely self-taught adult piano player with no particular musical talent (or more precisely with particularly no musical talent :))
Title of piece:Etude in A Minor
Composer:Louis Kohler
Duration:00:57
Source of music:Adult Piano Adventures All-in-One Book 2 by Nancy Faber
Instrument used:Casio PX-700 Digital Piano
Recording method:GarageBand on Mac
Additional info:This is my very first recital, and I am so grateful for this opportunity to be able to do it online! I wasn't sure which piece to choose for this special event. Most of the pieces approachable on my level are either arranged or children oriented. I found the Etude (piece entered as a recital submission) in my workbook where it was listed as an original composition. I didn't like it much at first, but the more I was playing it, the more it grew on me. The piece has you running through the A minor scale harmonized by Alberti bass. Overall, I found it to be an excellent exercise for finger dexterity.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736608
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:50+ years
Title of piece:Andante sostenuto from Sonata D960
Composer:Schubert
Duration:07:33
Source of music:Dover edition
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I dedicate my performance of the slow movement from Schubert's last piano sonata to my brother who died tragically in February this year.

This is why I have chosen this rather log piece for this recital. Moreover it is the second time within a year I play a Schubert piece here. Normally I try to avoid playing music by the same composer more than once during a period of at least two years. But because of the thoughtful character of this piece I found it appropriate this time.

The b-flat sonata (D960) is the last of Schubert's sonatas, and was written a short time before his death. The whole sonata is a masterpiece, but with a duration of about 45 minutes it is beyond my capacity lo learn. However, the second movement - Andante sostenuto - is relatively short. It is written in ternary form in C-sharp minor. Like many of Schubert's works it often shifts between minor and major keys and has many surprising harmonic turns. The middle part is in A-major and the whole movement ends with a coda in C-sharp major.

The first time the main section appears the melody is played over a rocking rhythm that requires frequent crossing of the arms. The contrasting middle part is more energetic, but even here frequent changes between light and shadow are evident. Schubert does not copy-paste the main section, but makes further developments of the thematic material the second time. A repeating three-note theme appears in the left hand. Perhaps you hear death knocking at the door here.

This piece hardly gives the opportunity to show off technically. But it is very rewarding to study and I enjoy playing it.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736609
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Claudemir Medeiros
Experience:1,4 years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/--Wx5r_eJJQ
Title of piece:Waltz in A minor
Duration:02:56
Source of music:Memorized by sheet music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-860 - Digital piano
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:I love this little beautiful piece and hope that you like it wink

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736610
05/14/18 10:28 PM
05/14/18 10:28 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Debusselchen
Experience:I am not sure, ten years maybe? I have never study systematical the piano( iam an autodidact).
Sometimes I play regular every day several hours and sometimes i hasn't played for years.
i have no theoretical harmony knowledge. I literally don't know what I am exactly doing.
Title of piece:boring Barock maybe?
Composer:i am the composer ?
Duration:02:26
Source of music:Its an Improvisation of mine. I have no reportriere, i am to lasy to learn pices of others. But i am interested Improvisation and Composing stuff.
Instrument used:Casio PX-300 digital piano
Recording method:Audacity line-in
Additional info:I think its a bit to slow (and boring). Its in the style of barock music maybe? there is no klimax or drama in it. Ein tonaler Brei

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736611
05/14/18 10:29 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Michael K.
Experience:22 years.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkfrsSN9jfQ
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelKaykov
Title of piece:Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 "Pesther Karneval" S. 244
Duration:10:31
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/Hungarian_Rhapsody_No.9%2C_S.244%2F9_(Liszt%2C_Franz)
Instrument used:Steinway D
Recording method:Juilliard Recording studio

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736612
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:patH (Patrick Hollstein)
Experience:Since 1974
Video link:https://youtu.be/U15PkMx7k-s
Home page link:https://www.facebook.com/#!/patrick.hollstein.58
Title of piece:Play Piano Play, Nr.4
Composer:Friedrich Gulda
Duration:03:57
Source of music:Sheet Music (Papageno Edition, Vienna)
Instrument used:Yamaha C2 SG
Recording method:Zoom H2n, post-treatment with Audacity
Video recorded with Samsung Galaxy S8
Additional info:I learned this piece first in the 90s and played it for my final exam at the University of Dortmund, in 1995.
So, a fitting piece for a round-numbered recital.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736613
05/14/18 10:30 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Tootles
Experience:5 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/m2Z9ADTvc04
Title of piece:The Carnival of Venice
Composer:Traditional arr by Faber
Duration:00:55
Source of music:Faber Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein model L
Additional info:This was a real brain freeze for me. The last piece in book one reviewed everything I learned. The hardest part (let me count the ways) was staccato in left hand legato in right hand, and pedal. I don't know why it was so hard for me. . . too many things to do at the same time. But it's been a lot of fun and I can't believe I've made it to here from there:-)

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736614
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Arluster Turner
Experience:3 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/jI71VxGw_PM
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYxbbAz0iCu3YCWSu-yj-GA
Title of piece:Prelude in E-Minor Opus 28 #4
Composer:Fredric Chopin
Duration:02:25
Instrument used:Casio Privia 860
Recording method:Smartphone
Additional info:I feel like I did better varying the left hand and using a singing tone with the melody. Yes, and no sirens in the background. This piece is like an Etude for learning how to make a seemingly simple piece and tell a story.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736615
05/14/18 10:31 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:6 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhO55DLwbPM
Title of piece:Of Foreign Lands and Peoples op. 15 no. 1
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Sheet music (IMSLP, Litolff edition)
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 7
Additional info:This is a new recording of an old-time favorite that I've kept playing through the years, starting from 2014. It might not sound much different, but I certainly have a better understanding of it now. Some notes are too loud, some too soft, as always, but overall it's what I had in mind. This is a single take so I'm quite happy about it. Managed to bring out the left hand in the final part. It's amazing how many details one can still discover even in such a short little piece.

I'm grateful to PianoWorld and the ABF for the invaluable help and support! Happy to be part of this 50th recital smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736616
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Roger Ransom
Experience:65 years
Title of piece:Stardust
Composer:Hoagy Carmichael
Duration:03:59
Source of music:Lead Sheet in Warner Bros. Standards book
Instrument used:Roland FP80
Recording method:Keyboard direct to Flash Drive
Technical feedback wanted:No

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736617
05/14/18 10:32 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Michael. (Mike)
Experience:I have been playing 1 year, 2 months. I started out learning on Artistworks with Hugh Sung and last fall supplemented it in person lessons in my local area.
Video link:https://youtu.be/fHauw55miQU
Title of piece:Gymnopedie No.3
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Sheet Music - Alfred Edition
Instrument used:Cunningham Parlour Grand
Recording method:This was recording on a Logitech C920 Webcam and Blue Yeti mic. The video was rendered in linux using Kdenlive and MP3 was produced using Audacity.
Additional info:It seems like everyone knows Gymnopedie #1 but it was very common for Satie to write in groups of three. The 2nd and 3rd of the set get no love so I decided to record the 3rd.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736618
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:lithotriptor
Experience:Many years with shorter and longer hiatuses.
Title of piece:Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 in B minor
Duration:04:09
Instrument used:Upright piano, August Forster
Additional info:My mood on rainy days.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736621
05/14/18 10:36 PM
05/14/18 10:36 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Experience:Years and years
Title of piece:Staendchen
Composer:Schubert-Liszt
Duration:06:59
Additional info:Schwanengesang, D. 957, No. 4, Staendchen
The song cycle was published in 1829, just after Schubert's death in 1828. This is the transcription by Liszt.

I've known the piece for so long after hearing my sister play an arrangement from a post-war medley found in our piano stool. I learnt the easier Liszt version of this a few years ago, not long after joining PW, in fact, and promised myself a go at the full transcription. So it's ready for Recital Fifty in an apt fifty years - and is the fiftieth piece at the time of submission!

So, having finally learnt it I'm ready to start working on it as a finished piece and can't wait to hear how I play it in a few years time. Maybe a potential submission for Recital 60!

I've seen some unfamiliar names on the rota this time, I hope to meet them in the forum in the not too distant.

My thanks go, as always, to the team for putting this fabulous opportunity together.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736622
05/14/18 10:37 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Title of piece:Moments Musicaux No. 3
Composer:Schubert
Duration:02:15
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2N
Additional info:When I play this piece my inner voice is going "pedal pedal pedal pedal" because of how frequently I have to change the pedal, often on every 8th note. It's a sweet piece, and has only a few tricky phrases with double thirds. I'm now learning one of his Impromptus and the Fantasy in F minor (same key as this piece)for 4 hands.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736623
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:thomaspiano
Experience:2 year
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB7PnM1Sbj0
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB7PnM1Sbj0
Title of piece:Minuet in G Major
Composer:Christian Petzold
Duration:01:53
Instrument used:Kawai Digital Piano
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This minuet has always been a favorite of mine that I have loved for years. I recorded myself playing it on video and uploaded it on Youtube. I recoded it in a way that expresses the feeling and color that this piece brings to me. I hope you guys enjoy my playing. Also, I am open to any and all feedback. I would love to continue improving my style!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736624
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:qazsedcft
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:Prelude in B minor op. 28 no. 6
Duration:01:49
Instrument used:Roland RP501
Recording method:Phone
Additional info:I had trouble getting a digital recording using this piano so in the end I decided to record the sound from the speakers. The sound quality is not as good as I hoped.

Like many "easy" Chopin pieces, this piece is technically easy but musically difficult. There are so many things I would still like to work on to make it sound better. All feedback and criticism is welcome.

I hope you enjoy it!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736625
05/14/18 10:38 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:FrankieC
Experience:A Lot! ;-)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/user/FrankCicalese
Home page link:http://www.digitalmusicproductions.com
Title of piece:Reverie
Duration:04:23
Source of music:Sheet music from memory.
Instrument used:K. Kawai RX-6
Recording method:PC Laptop, 2 x AudioTechnica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
Additional info:This has to be one of my favorite piano works by Debussy. I hope you like my rendition of it. I have not had lunch yet. Was up at 4 am with Olga, had two large cups of Bulletproof Coffee while surfing the web. Followed up with one of Olga's coconut protein shakes, then a workout. Finally was able to get to this submission! Time for lunch...

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736626
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Greywullf
Experience:29 years
Title of piece:Espana Op. 165: Preludio and Capriccio Catalano
Composer:Isaac Albeniz
Duration:04:15
Source of music:"Masters of Spanish Piano Music" ed. Maurice Hinson
Instrument used:1910 Chickering Parlor Grand
Recording method:Tascam DR-40 tucked into the curve of the piano and pointed at the strings. Although I was willing to use separate takes for each movement, this recording is one complete take, with about 23 seconds of silence between the movements deleted using Audacity.
Additional info:These are the first and fifth movements from Espana, Op. 165 by Isaac Albeniz. There are four remaining movements to be learned eventually.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736627
05/14/18 10:39 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:NancyM333
Experience:40 +/- years
Title of piece:A Special Place in Your Heart
Composer:Catherine Rollin
Duration:02:02
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Recording method:Sam S.'s digital recorder!
Additional info:At a concert of a Chopin Medal winner I attended about ten years ago, the pianist played as his encore the very easy Prelude in e minor, Opus 28 #4, something many young pianists can play. It was gorgeous! It made me realize that playing a less difficult piece allows you to concentrate on playing more beautifully, something I struggle with. So I am trying a few easier pieces, and Catherine Rollin has many beautiful but not difficult pieces to work with!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736628
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:13 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/RsxQLqvFoNE
Title of piece:La Maladie d'Amour
Composer:Lyricist: M.Sardou/Composer: J.Revaux
Source of music:Mostly by ear, but with the help google and youtube.
Instrument used:FP7 with Pianoteq
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:This is an old french song made popular by Michel Sardou.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736629
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Video link:https://youtu.be/wOcOw9wPfZc
Title of piece:Schindler's List
Composer:John Williams
Source of music:Memory
Additional info:My initial recording of this was for the August 2012 ABF recital and it was also my first recording of any piece. It was the beginning of a new phase of learning Piano that came at a time in my life I was very receptive to it. It has been a very worthwhile pursuit ever since.

Congratulations, ABF for this milestone recital. At last check we had hit the 100 mark for this one which is great to see. I am glad and proud to have been able to participate these years.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736630
05/14/18 10:40 PM
05/14/18 10:40 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as an adult, resumed regular lessons almost 3 years ago
Title of piece:Sonata in f minor K 466
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:04:03
Instrument used:Baldwin Acrosonic upright
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Additional info:This is a beautiful baroque sonata, more challenging than it might sound. It didn't take me long to learn all the notes, and it's not particularly difficult in terms of the technique, but it took me a while to get to the level of musicality that is vaguely satisfactory. To bring out the voice in the left hand while making sure individual notes do not stick out was hard (and I'm still not quite there yet but it's much better than it used to be). Also, to do the phrasing and dynamics without romanticizing the piece too much has been a challenge as well. I spent the whole morning recording but then took a break, listened to what I had and realized my tempo was a bit too fast to my liking. So, I slowed down, and this produced a better result I hope. Thanks for listening!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736631
05/14/18 10:42 PM
05/14/18 10:42 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:ElaineAllegro
Experience:6 years (!) w/current amazing piano teacher; 4 years previously as adult; 8 years as child but...
Video link:https://youtu.be/59LcVkCXGO4
Title of piece:Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique), 2nd movement
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:05:16
Source of music:Henle edition
Instrument used:Steingraeber-Phoenix A170S grand piano with carbon fiber soundboard, built in 2010
Recording method:Zoom Q2HD, then trimmed the ends in Audacity
Additional info:I feel very drawn to this sonata: first learned it as a technique-less teen; again as adult with previous teacher; now trying yet again but still not able to make it sound the way I imagine it. Working on 1st movement now and perhaps in the next 20 or so years it will all come together.

Re the notes that fell on the floor: two were intentionally dropped because my RH doesn't stretch that far, but the others just fell of their own accord.

Although I dressed up for the first two hours of takes, the one I'm submitting is from later in the day, when I had sort of given up on getting a good recording. This take had the highest % of somewhat satisfying moments. (This was a great learning experience, and I hope I made some improvements after listening to all the recordings. I should make myself record more often.)

Much appreciation to Monica for managing the recitals, SamS and MarieJ for reaching out to former ABF recital-ers on the occasion of the 50th(!), and to everyone who keeps the ABF and the recitals alive with your contributions. Back to lurking on the forum...

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736632
05/14/18 10:43 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Pavel.K
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/pavel-k/
Title of piece:Mignon Op.68 No.35
Duration:03:55
Source of music:Memorized from a sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-7F + Pianoteq
Additional info:I have recorded this piece few days ago for my deposit in soundcloud while accidentally I have found that there is an anniversary recital. And accidentally this piece has never been performed here before. So here is my submission. I hope you will like it :-)

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736633
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Keselo
Experience:1 Year and 4 Months
Title of piece:Quasi Adagio
Composer:Bela Bartok
Duration:00:59
Source of music:For Children, Volume 1 (Based on Hungarian Folk Tunes), No. 3. Published by Boosey & Hawkes.
Instrument used:Steinbeck 130 Upright
Recording method:Two microphones connected to a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, audio captured through Audacity.
Additional info:This piece has stuck with me ever since I first heard it, when I'd just been playing for 2 months. I learned it then, but was limited by being very inexperienced.

Now, over a year later, I'm still inexperienced but experienced enough to do this beautiful piece at least partly justice. There are, as is inevitable, parts I'd like to have played better, but it is what it is.

It's very melancholic, which is not very Bartokesque. I'm also happy that my favourite composer gets represented in the Recital, especially with this being such a milestone edition. The melodies and harmonies are very conservative, which should make it easier to listen to than most of his other material.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736634
05/14/18 10:44 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:3
Home page link:http://www.prayinghorse.com
Title of piece:Sonata in D Minor K 32
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:02:08
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized
Instrument used:Everett spinet ~ 1955
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I loved playing this piece from the start, and I'm going to love continuing to iron out the wrinkles (someday I'll get the trills consistent). Although I do tend to like a happy peppy song, a gal needs a good sad piece in her arsenal for times when you just need to lament *something*.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736635
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+
Title of piece:Time Remembered
Composer:Bill Evans
Duration:07:47
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM DR40
Additional info:"Time Remembered" has always struck me as the quintessential Bill Evans composition -- dark, sad, painful, exquisitely eloquent and beautiful. This transcription is from his final Trio period in the late 1970s. I play it more jagged and passionate than the Trio recording -- I relate to it more as a Contemporary Classical composition than a Jazz one, although he originally conceived it in conjunction with Miles Davis in the late 50s-early60s.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736636
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:More than a few years
Title of piece:Twelve Variations on "Ah, Vous Dirai-Je, Maman"
Duration:04:46
Source of music:Mozart:Twelve Variations on "Ah Vous Dirai-Je,Maman" edited by Maurice Hinson, Alfred Masterwork Edition
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 grand piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 using Audacity
Additional info:I played the Theme and Variations 1, 5, 7 and 11. I recorded each piece separately and used Audacity to piece them together. It took so many tries that I needed to replace my batteries twice in my Zoom H2 recorder. I enjoyed playing this piece very much. I will continue working on it since there is room for improvement.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736637
05/14/18 10:45 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:xyzzy
Experience:1 1/2 years of lessons. I played around on the piano by ear for years but just learned to read music when I started lessons.
Title of piece:Dreamsville
Composer:Henri Mancini
Duration:02:35
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX-660 Digital Piano
Recording method:Built in recorder on the Yamaha and then converted the MID file
Additional info:As hard as I try, I have yet to perform this piece perfectly. After many tries, this is about the best I could do. Give me a few more years and I'll be able to play better.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736638
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Sara_M
Experience:10 months (first 6 months on my own, started lessons with a teacher in January)
Title of piece:"For Children", volume 1, no. 2. Children's Song
Composer:Bartok
Duration:01:00
Source of music:Bela Bartok - "For Children", volume 1
Instrument used:Yamaha P115
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:The pieces in the "For Children" collection are mostly based on simple folk songs that I know from my childhood (having grown up in Hungary like Bartok). They appear simple, but when trying to play them with rich dynamics, they can be quite challenging, at least for me as a beginner.

I decided to upload a recording with less dynamic range as when I try to really emphasize phrasing, the evenness and flow of the music seem to suffer. I have a long way to go until my fingers can hit every note with the exact same force and timing that I want.

To give you an idea, this song's lyrics translated to English are: "Come out, sun, Bright sun! My little geese are freezing in the garden."

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736639
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:SandTiger
Experience:Six years
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Into the Meadow
Composer:SandTiger
Duration:01:47
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Casio PX150 digital piano
Recording method:On board recording piped into Audacity for volume boost and leveling.
Additional info:Spring has sprung. Into the meadow we go in C Major. Enjoy.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736640
05/14/18 10:46 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Moo smile
Experience:14 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaWteUD9uA
Title of piece:Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 53 no 1
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:04:50
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/Lieder_ohne_Worte,_Op.53_(Mendelssohn,_Felix)
Additional info:I picked another songs without words as I've done for the last 3 recitals. The picture has not come blurred but the music is lovely. Hope you enjoy. MOO smile x

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736641
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:h8dk97
Experience:Started learning piano in Sep 2015
Title of piece:Kleine Studie
Duration:01:43
Recording method:Zoom H4pro
Additional info:Still polishing this smilingly easy piece. I find it very hard to control pianissimo on my acoustic piano while it is much easier to play on digital. But I much prefer the sound of acoustic hence don't touch the digital unless I have to.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736642
05/14/18 10:47 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about seven years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally, or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. I have not had a piano teacher since I started the relearning process, but would like to work with one in the future. I am willing to start at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more 'proper' and thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc.. For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:https://youtu.be/RsXrQvKTu3g
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Siciliano from Flute Sonata No. 2, BWV 1031
Composer:Bach - Kempff
Duration:03:42
Source of music:Music Sheet
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Kodak Zi8 (video) and Zoom H4N (audio)
Additional info:I've missed four ABF recitals in a row which is really bad because besides sharing, I rely on them to learn new pieces and improve myself at a regular pace. This past year though I've had much difficulty finding piano time given work and personal demands, but when outo's invitation (thank you, outo!) for the 50th landed on my email inbox, I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to give the piano some attention despite my circumstances. So I tried learning a new piece a few weeks ago. Alas, at this point it simply has not yet matured in my hands, but given that it is the 50th anniversary, I thought I'd offer instead a piece I recorded in the past that I've never submitted to an ABF recital partly because that time I was a tad dissatisfied with the audio quality due to microphone positioning, and I had difficulty syncing the audio with the video. I went back to the original Zoom H4N audio and Kodak Zi8 video clips and repackaged the whole thing. I hope though it is worthy of the 50th! :-)

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736643
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Davidonabus
Experience:10 when I was a kid. I took a 25-year break, and have been back at it for 1.5 years.
Title of piece:Over The Rainbow
Composer:George Shearing
Duration:02:28
Instrument used:Casio AP-620 /w Pteq Std
Recording method:Pianoteq!
Additional info:I'm a big fan of this piece! Because of all the dissonance throughout the piece, it's important to make sure the melody still comes out. The majority of the practice time on this one wasn't about the notes, or the rhythms, it was the voicing. This was a great challenge for me!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736645
05/14/18 10:51 PM
05/14/18 10:51 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:JustinDAggie
Experience:Since approximately 2010
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZpyA-mcIls
Title of piece:Liebestraum Number 3
Duration:04:39
Instrument used:Steinway L, 1967
Recording method:two condenser mics hooked to an audio interface hooked to my macbook
Additional info:I have been away from the forums for a while (piano being restored, moved to new city) so this is my first submission in a while! My steinway came back from the restoration shop last September so, if it sounds out of tune, that's because it's still settling in and needing frequent tunings.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736646
05/14/18 10:52 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:squidbot (Chris)
Experience:2 years on June 1
Title of piece:Mazurka in B Flat Major Op. 7 No. 1
Duration:03:14
Source of music:Sheet music. Chopin the First Book for Pianists. Edited by Willard A. Palmer. Published by Alfred
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-685
Recording method:Direct to USB, converted to MP3 with Audacity.
Additional info:I'll be performing this for a recital in June, so I have a few more weeks to work out the rough parts. Listening to it there are some tempo issues, and I'm still having trouble landing that final chord! I enjoy this piece quite a bit, it is by far the biggest challenge I've had yet playing piano. I've learned so much from it and it's also showed me the limits of what I can do so far!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736647
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:outo
Experience:7 years as an adult
Title of piece:Two Keyboard Sonatas K32 and K34
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:02:29
Source of music:Sheet music, Kenneth Gilbert edition
Instrument used:Bluthner baby grand (hasn't been tuned since May 2017)
Recording method:Olympus LS-20M, audacity to MP3
Additional info:As well as being the 50th recital this is also my 7 year anniversary. I started playing the piano in May 2011. Domenico Scarlatti has always been among my most favorite composers and was an obvious choice for this special recital. However due to life circumstances I really had no time to prepare any of his longer sonatas. So I recorded these two that are among the shortest and easiest. I memorized them in a very short time and not quite securely enough as you can hear. But this was a good exercise in working under pressure. K32 in d minor is obviously very well known. K34 in the same key is rarely played but I think it is sweet and appropriate as a companion piece.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736649
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Kalos Piano
Experience:three years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQym5SGwqoI
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:Sarabande HWV 437 N. 4
Composer:Handel, G. F.
Duration:03:59
Source of music:there are various versions online, I kind of made a mix of different sources, here's one of the sheets I used: http://www.piano-attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Haendel_sarabande_suite-11.pdf
Instrument used:Roland FP30
Recording method:Audio recorded in MIDI via the keyboard's built-in recorder. Converted into WAV via Pianoteq and then converted into MP3 via Audacity.

Last edited by casinitaly; 05/16/18 05:02 PM. Reason: fixed link
Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736650
05/14/18 10:53 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White
Experience:Lifetime by ear, self-teaching since the beginning of the recitals
Title of piece:This Girl's In Love With You
Composer:Burt Bacharach
Duration:01:48
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:You can tell it's really me due to the mistakes.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736651
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:PhilzPiano
Experience:A few, with too many breaks
Title of piece:Andante op 453 no 32
Composer:Carl Czerny
Duration:01:09
Source of music:Sheet music from Pianist magazine no. 92
Instrument used:Kawai CA67, SK Concert grand voice
Recording method:Recorded by the piano straight to memory stick
Additional info:This is a short and relatively simple piece by Carl Czerny, who is best known for being a pupil of Beethoven and Liszt's teacher. This recital submission is significant for me because it is my first since sustaining a major hand injury. I've slowly got back into piano playing and although I can hear a little unevenness in my playing, it's a lot better than it was six months ago, so I'm optimistic for the future.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736652
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Fouyaut
Experience:3 years alone and 3 years with teachers
Home page link:http://home.scarlet.be/~tg547430/
Title of piece:Sonata K332 - Allegro
Composer:Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Duration:04:43
Source of music:Mozart Sonatas volume 2 (Wiener edition)
Instrument used:Yamaha U3
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:A few weeks ago, I received a MP from MarieJ inviting me to share a piece of music for the 50th recital.
I'm not as active on the forum as I used to, but I decided to take this opportunity to work on one of my weaknesses : to play an entire piece in front of the recorder without any major gap or very wrong note. Usually when I record myself, after 3-4 minutes, I tend to fear to waste a good take and consequentially... to waste it with a big mistake. But I don't practice to overcome it because then I use an editing software to mix the best takes for each part... ! I somehow managed to do a one-take performance this afternoon (you can still hear there are more and more mistakes as the end approaches). Here is the result for a piece just below the 5 minutes limit : the 1st movement of Mozart's 12th sonata in F major.

I began working on this piece end february, my teacher wanted me to work on my first Mozart sonata, so we chose this one, because among those I liked the most, she found it had the right difficulty level for me.

At this point I feel that I still need to work on :
-the end of the exposition, with the left hand semiquavers
arpeggios
- the thirds at the end of the developement (and thirds in general)
- the semiquavers in the transition (bars 29-36 and 157-172)
- the bars with triplets on the left hand and quavers on the right hand

Your comments are welcome, I'd be glad to read them !
Happy listening to everyone, and happy recital to the ABF forum :-)

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736653
05/14/18 10:54 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Jouishy
Experience:27 months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/user/Jouishy
Title of piece:The little shepherd
Composer:Debussy
Duration:03:02
Instrument used:Shigeru kawai (thanks to local conservatory!)
Recording method:Zoom Q4n
Additional info:Just did my piano exam yesterday and the judge really liked that piece. That made me change my mind (I planned to submit Mozart K545, 2nd movement).
If you are interested, all the pieces I've played for my exams should be on my youtube channel soon.
Advices are welcome, but I won't be working on that piece anymore, so general tips that could help me in other pieces will be the most helpful.
Thanks!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736654
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:dddaaannn
Experience:36+ year dabbler, three-time adult beginner
Video link:https://youtu.be/6XoBTvl9AUQ
Home page link:http://www.dansanderson.com/
Title of piece:Sonatina in A Minor, op. 214, no. 4
Composer:Cornelius Gurlitt
Duration:05:16
Source of music:The Royal Conservatory Celebration Series Level 5, 2015 edition
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-685 digital piano
Recording method:Recorded directly off the instrument using its built-in WAV export to USB drive
Additional info:My 2nd ever ABF recital!

One lesson from this go around: do a polishing pass by recording full run throughs. Go start to finish without stopping, locate and drill the mistakes and pauses, then do it again. I basically did a bunch of polish at the last minute just trying to get a good take for the recital, and it was productive. It would have been more useful to do the polish earlier as part of practice. After a bunch of takes, I left it for a day, came back and did the take that I'm submitting in one shot. I got nervous when I noticed I hadn't made any major mistakes in the first two movements and the third movement started to fall apart, but it's close enough. smile

I'm enjoying working from graded repertoire. Maybe I'll do a level 6 piece for next quarter.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736655
05/14/18 10:55 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:dinahp18
Experience:10 yrs
Title of piece:Invention 13
Composer:J. S. Bach
Duration:01:34
Instrument used:Boston PE163
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Enjoyable to learn and it is an accomplishment for me to memorize.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736656
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Zilthy
Experience:About 5 months playing. I had to stop shortly after initially beginning due to an injury and finally was able to resume again.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGnvNTKZLqf2-FGKdsktWTQ
Title of piece:Porch (Avengers Infinity War End Credits)
Composer:Alan Silvestri
Duration:00:59
Source of music:Transcribed by ear
Instrument used:Sonivox 88 and M-Audio Hammer 88
Recording method:Logic Pro X
Additional info:This piece was the first I have transcribed by ear (Other than a little melody or riff). I learned a lot from the experience. I'll probably make a form post on it later with some questions and personal observations. I found using a different keyboard/synth my playing was heavier than usual, although that could have been attributed to recording with a click track also.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736657
05/14/18 10:56 PM
05/14/18 10:56 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:noobpianist90
Experience:10+ years
Video link:https://youtu.be/ndLDyPC3TE0
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_RkmiZqruLPR2t5DWJ64AQ/videos
Title of piece:Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3
Duration:04:47
Source of music:Schirmer Edition (Edited by Rafael Joseffy)
Instrument used:Kawai VPC-1, Pianoteq
Recording method:USB-MIDI using Reaper
Additional info:This is one of the lesser played nocturnes. It is also supposed to be one of the easier nocturnes, not that "easy" and "Chopin" can be used in the same sentence, unless said sentence also involves the use of the word "not"! Though I should say, I have so far attempted the E-flat Major Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 and the posthumous C-Sharp Minor Nocturne before. It's probably because I attempted the other nocturnes more than 3-4 years ago, and I've improved a bit since then, but this one took me considerably less time to learn.

I decided to re-submit with a new recording. Although the earlier one didn't have many mistakes, I prefer my interpretation in this recording by far. The earlier one was a bit faster, but I think this recording sounds more fitting.

This piece is in binary form. It consists of an A section marked "languido e rubato", a developmental section and a B section marked "Religioso".
The A section starts off in G Minor. The melody has a bittersweet and melancholic feel to me, also marked with restlessness in some places. I used a reasonable (I think) amount of rubato in this section, especially the parts marked with crescendos and diminuendos.
The developmental section is chromatic and (to me) has the feel of frustration, followed by anger and fire, and concluding with emptiness and stillness. It starts off slowly and then builds to a crescendo and then fades away. I could probably play it faster, but I think this was the right tempo.
The B section is why I really wanted to learn this piece in the first place. I really enjoy playing it. It offers such a contrast with the fire of the developmental section. I feel transported to a different world while playing this part. The more I kept playing the B section, the more I realised was hidden in the music. For instance, on first view, it appears as though the melody is in the left hand and the accompaniment is in the right hand. Then I realised that the upper note of each block chord carries its own melody. And then I experimented by just playing the lower bass notes and the upper treble notes, and they have a contrapuntal feel to them. So, I interpreted this section by playing the chords such that I can hear the upper melody as well as the lower one. I was quite pleased with the effect smile

Some of the challenging parts of this piece were the fast part of the developmental section and playing the block chords smoothly in the B section.
However, the most challenging part was getting the pedalling right in the A section. The sheet music indicates that the pedal should be released on the 3rd beat while playing the melody, but that didn't sound exactly right to me. It felt a bit abrupt. So, I ended up pedalling fully on the 1st beat, switching to a half pedal on the 2nd beat and then releasing it gradually on the 3rd beat. This took quite a while to get exactly right.

As a self-learner, I'm never sure if my interpretations are "correct", so to speak. So, any critique/feedback would be most welcome smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736659
05/14/18 10:59 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:mel_lem (Melanie)
Experience:12 years as a child. Restarted since December 2016.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/tracks
Title of piece:Sonata in D Major Hob.XVI.37, First Movement
Composer:Joseph Haydn
Duration:04:10
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized.
Instrument used:Yamaha P-45
Recording method:Live audio recorded through line-in into Garageband running on iPad.
Additional info:This was the first sonata I have learned when I was a child. I was attracted to the joyful and cheery, upbeat quality of the piece. Needless to say, I gave up halfway because it was just too technically demanding back then. It is still technically demanding even now. Not my best work, but I am glad I managed to finish learning the whole first movement just in time to submit it for this recital.

I really dislike the touch of this digital piano. It sounds so "bouncy" and it's so hard to control when the piece has huge dynamic contrast like this one.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736660
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://youtu.be/xggiQXU7vnQ
Title of piece:Prelude Op. 6, No.1
Composer:Bortkiewicz
Duration:04:21
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS7 + VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 VST
Additional info:Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877 - 1952) was a Russian composer and pianist. His piano style was very much based on Liszt and Chopin, nurtured by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, early Scriabin, Wagner, and Ukrainian folklore.
Special thanks to Rach3master for introducing me to this rare gem (https://youtu.be/PPNVUSKfsfs). This melancholic prelude has an uncanny resemblance to Chopin's Nocturne in E minor, which is one of my favourite nocturnes. I especially loved playing this nocturne with copious amount of rubato creating that 'ebb and flow' rhythm.
I look forward to listening to all of the numerous submissions in this 50th Anniversary recital. Coincidentally, this is a 50th milestone for me too, since this is the 50th piano video on my YouTube channel.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736661
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Allysia (PianoTV)
Experience:20+ years
Home page link:http://www.pianotv.net
Title of piece:Variations on Land of the Silver Birch
Composer:Pierre Gallant
Duration:04:46
Instrument used:My Great Grandma's old upright
Recording method:I used a Yeti microphone and the program Audacity to record.
Additional info:I've been working on short and simple pieces lately, so I thought it would be fun to share one of the bigger pieces I've worked on in the past. This was my favorite piece to play from my RCM Grade 10 exam - some of the variations are just wild and exuberant - even though it's far from being a flawless performance.

It's also fun to share less-known music, especially by Canadian composers. Land of the Silver Birch is a folk tune that I teach simpler versions of often in my music studio, and I wish more people knew the tune.

I did receive feedback on this piece from my examination, but any further opinions and advice are welcome. smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736662
05/14/18 11:00 PM
05/14/18 11:00 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ken.
Experience:10
Title of piece:Boo Boo's Birthday
Composer:Thelonious Monk
Duration:00:54
Source of music:Thelonious Monk Intermediate Piano Solos
Instrument used:Milton Spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:I think my piano needs tuning. This is one of Thelonious Monk's lesser known and not very often played tunes. It may sound dissonant in some places as some of the voicings have a semitone interval with the melody note, and maybe also because of my rendition smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736663
05/14/18 11:01 PM
05/14/18 11:01 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:briangmoore
Experience:about 5 years, on and off
Title of piece:Menuet, French Suite #2, Bach
Composer:Bach
Duration:03:31
Source of music:Schirmer score
Instrument used:Older Knabe grand
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:My thanks to all on Piano World, Adult Beginner's Forum, Recital organizers, participants, commenters, etc. Participating in these recitals has been an incredible help for my piano skills, broadened my world greatly in terms of repertoire, and just so nice to know someone is listening out there.

I apologize in advance, I have not had hardly any time to comment on recent recitals, but I have been listening and enjoying! I hope to add some comments to this one.

Several years ago, I became taken by the French Suites of Bach. I have kind of settled in on the Suite #2 for more focus. This is my third submission from Suite #2, previously submitting the Allemande and the Sarabande. This is the Menuet which, on the surface, seemed like it would be easier, but turned out to be very hard to get in any decent shape. I worked at it for several months and (as you will hear) there are still some glaring problems, but it is the best I could do, and I very much wanted to be a part of the 50th recital.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736664
05/14/18 11:02 PM
05/14/18 11:02 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:chopinoholic (Paul de Koning)
Experience:Long time!
Title of piece:Nocturne Opus 27 no.2 D flat major
Composer:Chopin, Frederic
Duration:06:07
Source of music:Henle Urtext
Instrument used:Pleyel 205 grand from 1977
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Additional info:This is an old recording of the Chopin nocturnes and waltzes e-cital in 2014. I wanted to submit a different piece, but it wasn't ready to be submitted. If I did, I'd never be satisfied!
I hope you enjoy it!

Happy 50th!!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736666
05/14/18 11:03 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Whizbang (Chris)
Experience:35+
Video link:https://youtu.be/Df7SBnVhDQI
Home page link:http://youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Title of piece:Pastime Rag #2
Composer:Artie Matthews
Duration:03:52
Source of music:Rudi Blesh's "Classic Piano Rags"
Instrument used:Fandrich U-122
Recording method:Zoom R24, FinalCut Pro
Additional info:I record a lot of Joplin and figured y'all might want to hear some other good ragtime composers.

Artie Matthews was a contemporary of Joplin's. He is most known for his five "Pastime" rags but he was an arranger on others' rags and those rags also exhibit his style.

He wanted his rags played as written. They have the admonishment "Don't Fake!"

I consider Matthews in the vein of "fun" composers like Spike Jones, Raymond Scott (think Warner Bros soundtracks), Buster Poindexter.

Artie was born in 1888 but still has a living son, Art Matthews, a jazz pianist who teaches piano.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736667
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Bach to the Future
Title of piece:"Norse Song", Album of the Youth
Duration:01:56
Instrument used:Wall piano
Recording method:Mobile Phone
Additional info:I was very sleepy when I recorded the piece.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736668
05/14/18 11:04 PM
05/14/18 11:04 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:10 year noodler, quit for the past two + years [needed a break].
Title of piece:Old and Wise
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Duration:03:17
Source of music:Improvised from a lead sheet.
Instrument used:Out of tune, dusty soundboard Mason & Hamlin BB. The 'Mighty Mason' remember?
Recording method:Zoom H2 into Audacity. Nothing went smooth as I forgot how to do everything. Plus I can no longer read the tiny tiny display on my Zoom H2. My IT gal [wife] saved me.
Additional info:This is not a 'save the best 'till last' thing going on as I literally needed every last minute just to pull this off.

After receiving a very nice letter from Monica, along with several other nice PM's from other ABF members, I very much wanted to be a part of this historic event. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely ready as I've not played much over the past 2 1/2 years. A freak accident from taking a spill on concrete resulted in breaking my elbow in 3 'pieces'. Lots of screws and rehab and I'm making very good progress in my recovery and range of motion.

I just got the Mighty Mason out of the covers a few days ago and it needs a tuning and soundboard cleaning. [both of which will have to wait as I'm out of time], so this is the best I can come up with right now under the circumstances.

I hope to participate in future recitals once again as well as try to get back to the level of playing I was at before the 'crash'! It will take a bit more time, but it shouldn't take too long because I'm just sort of a hack to begin with so that keeps things rather simple.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736669
05/14/18 11:05 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Ralphiano (Ralph)
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Hungarian Mood
Composer:Alexandre Tansman
Duration:02:33
Source of music:Sheet music. Titled "10 Easy Pieces for Piano" by Alexandre Tansman.
Instrument used:Casio Privia 760 with Pianoteq
Recording method:I used Audacity to convert from .wav to mp3 format.
Additional info:I got lucky on this one. I had both May 13th and 14th (Sunday and Monday) free to spend all the time I wanted on polishing the piece. For some unexplained reason, though, I made a recording on Saturday. Then I got sick as a dog on Sunday and didn't touch the piano again until midday on the submission deadline. I sounded horrible, so, I am submitting the Saturday version.

This piece presented several challenges for me. In the A section (the piece is AABBCCAA) there are grace notes in every measure. And, the grace notes are doubles, not single grace notes. I had not encountered this before, and, it was a struggle. The most difficult part was timing the onset of the grace notes so that the note they are "gracing" starts on its beat. Some of these were at the beginning of a line or motif, and I found that really difficult to time those properly.

The second challenge was the C section, which is a string of chords, changing on every beat, and needing to be played legato. I am inexperienced with chords, and particularly chords being played legato. I eventually figured out that I should hold any fingers that don't have to change from one chord to the next, while changing the other fingers. That was a cool discovery, and it worked.

With the knowledge that I had these two new skills on my agenda, I was resigned to maybe not getting the chords voiced well by the submission deadline. For the most part, the melody was in the upper note of the right hand through the C section. However, it seems that just being aware of the need caused me to subconsciously attend to getting the melody notes to stand out somewhat. So, it did not consume any of my cognitive resources, but came around nicely, anyway. I'm very happy about that.

Thanks, Monica and Sam for all the work you do in making these recitals run so smoothly. You guys are great!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736670
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:MikeN/Michael Nichols
Experience:11 years and 5 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/MZazk9_hdfA
Title of piece:Etude Op.25 No.1 "Aeolian Harp"
Duration:02:34
Source of music:Sheet Music (and a Dover edition too...for shame!)
Instrument used:Boston UP-132 EP?
Recording method:Tascam Dr-40
Additional info:Happy 50th recital! Thanks for inviting the pianist corner folks or I would've missed it.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736671
05/14/18 11:06 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Pathbreaker
Experience:17
Title of piece:Prelude in E Major
Duration:01:45
Source of music:sheet
Additional info:This is one of two Chopin pieces I'm working on with my teacher and it's been a HUGE help to have some guidance.

So this prelude was technically not on our todo list but I snuck it in there because I like to procrastinate.

I haven't been able to post for quite some time and I also missed the last few recitals. Thanks for reaching out to me!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736672
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Venu V
Experience:4 years
Title of piece:Sonata in D Minor K 34
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:01:06
Instrument used:Yamaha Baby Grand Piano
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:It took me a long time to learn this Sonata. I found it difficult to learn the notes of the music. It was challenging to play this music and sound very smooth. I took almost 3 months to learn the song. This music is part of RCM grade 5 exam. Please provide feedback on how I can improve playing the Sonata.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736673
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Julie G.
Experience:3 years self-taugh
Title of piece:You are my love (from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles)
Duration:02:49
Instrument used:Kawai gx2
Recording method:Line audio CM3 + Scarlett 2i2 + Ardour
Additional info:I play piano since almost 3 years because my husband play and he gave me his passion. I played clarinet in high school, 15 years ago so I knew the basic of classical music and how to read a partition.

It is the first piece that I learned and it still a work in progress but I wanted to share with you because I like it very much. I have a little passion for Japanese manga and anime and I found this piece in the anime Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. It is a piece with voice and piano but I recorded it only with the piano. Maybe I will show you the version with the voice one day wink. Hope you like it!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736674
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:stambler / Dave
Experience:too many / not enough
Title of piece:Miss Wardlaw's Favorite
Composer:William Shepherd (Arranged by stumbler)
Duration:01:58
Source of music:Fiddle score from William Shepherd's 2nd Collection, from Highland Music Trust
http://www.heallan.com/freedownloads.asp
Instrument used:Roland RD-700NX
Recording method:Direct to USB stick
Additional info:This piece isn't polished yet, but at least there is no major train wreck.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736675
05/14/18 11:07 PM
05/14/18 11:07 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:micael K
Experience:2 years as a kid, almost 3 years as an adult.
Video link:https://youtu.be/yar1CeC4P_I
Title of piece:Ronda alla turca
Duration:03:14
Instrument used:Kawai gx2
Recording method:Line audio CM3 + Scarlett 2i2 + Ardour
Additional info:I have a love and hate relationship with this piece, I have taken that piece as a technical excercise from day one and never really worked on interpretation, which wasn't really my goal. At some point my teacher told me: "I think we are done with this piece, we could still spend a lot of time to polish it but I think you have learned what you were supposed to and we can move on".
After that, I just wanted to have a decent recording and move onto something else. After a few attempts, I had a few recordings but even if technically I think I can say it was correct, it was sounding mechanical and without soul. I spent weeks trying to get a decent recording and at some point I really started to get deseperated. A few people kept telling me that I should be playing this in a more 'childish' manner and I have yet to figure out what this means but I think I did some progress and managed to get something a little bit more musical.
This recording is full of mistakes but my goal was to try to forget about my obsession for each single technical mistake and try to just "have fun", even if I miss some notes, even if I do tempo errors, even if I put accents in the wrong place, etc.. I just wanted to have fun and that is what I did in this video. Hope you like it!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736676
05/14/18 11:23 PM
05/14/18 11:23 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Performer's name:Glen R.
Experience:Hard to say given the stops and starts. 1 or 2 years?
Title of piece:Duet for One
Composer:Christopher Norton
Duration:00:46
Instrument used:Heintzman Upright (1926)
Recording method:Zoom H1n (96k, 24bit wav), converted to mp3 by audacity
Additional info:I learned this piece a month or so ago as part of my regular lessons. It's not a very technical piece, however it really brings out the rich sound of my piano, which makes me quite happy :-).

I could definitely work more to make the striking of the notes less harsh -- something I noticed much more by listening to the recording. Interestingly, I could make it much less harsh on my YDP 140. I'm guessing it's action is more forgiving, thus I should probably practice more on my acoustic :-).

I forgot to eat lunch, but eventually had a banana.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the best way to learn improvisation?
by saratogaUSA. 10/21/18 05:07 PM
Apps
by Markuska. 10/21/18 04:25 PM
Classical Improvisation Websites?
by Horbie Peekler. 10/21/18 03:25 PM
Is playing by ear important
by Wayne2467. 10/21/18 02:59 PM
Beydynamics DT 880 Pro, ProRecord, PianoTeq
by Piano World. 10/21/18 12:07 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,917
Posts2,754,478
Members91,306
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission