Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (bennevis, Beemer, BachToTheFuture, augustm, 17 invisible), 948 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 #2736549
05/14/18 09:23 PM
05/14/18 09:23 PM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
A
[Linked Image]

Welcome to the 50th AB Forum "Beginners and Beyond" Online Recital!!!!

We have a special treat before we launch into the usual instructions and, of course, the music. Because this is such a major milestone in the history of the recitals, we asked two special individuals to give us their thoughts on this event. The first is Frank Baxter, the man who started PianoWorld and gave us this home-away-from-home where we can share our love for piano and music, and the other is Mr Super-Hunky, the man who came up with the brilliant idea of holding the online recitals in the first place. So, with no further ado, it is my pleasure to introduce:

Frank Baxter --- Founder of PianoWorld

First, CONGRATULATIONS! To everyone involved in the ABF, and particularly to those who have participated
in the recitals over the years, you are to be commended for showing the world there are still lots of people who love the piano, and
that they can put all other differences aside and get along because of their shared love of the instrument, the music, and the people!

A few words about the 50th recital milestone! ok more than a few (I'm known for rambling on, please bear with me)...

I started Piano World as a hobby over twenty years ago. I had discovered the Internet (oh wait, that was Al Gore wasn't it?) and
was fascinated by the ability to reach out to people across the country and around the world. My father was a Ham operator (those
of you too young to know, look it up) and the Internet reminded me of this.

A few people happened to stumble upon my posts (back then it was at something like http://www.tiac.net/users/pianos/...) and they
asked me some questions which got me thinking about other things I could post. The more I posted, the more people came around to visit
and interact (you can see some posts from 1999, 2000 here: forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/919373/forums-nostalgia.html

That's when I started thinking just maybe Piano World (it was called All About Pianos in the early days) could make a small difference in, well, the piano world. I've loved the piano as long as I can remember (which some days is about 2 hours, but that's another story). My goal has
always been to get others interested, and help those who want to learn to play, fix, restore, buy, sell, ... pianos.

Today the one area of Piano World I am most proud of is our forums. I love that so many people gravitate to our forums and participate in
conversations (or lurk, as I know many of you do). And the forum I'm most proud of is the ABF. The ABF was spun off from another forum
years ago, as a place where adults could feel comfortable whether they were just beginning their journey, or returning to it after a many
year absence.

And I'm particularly proud of you folks for creating and maintaining the recitals, Bravo!
Imagine, the 50th recital! Wow! Now that's a milestone you can all be proud of.

For anyone who doubts they can learn to play the piano, or that they can "perform in front of others", this is the living proof.
And I love that you all encourage each other, it isn't a contest, you aren't being judged, it's encouragement and fun, just what
piano playing should be.

Kathy and I have had the privilege of attending piano parties all across the U.S. and even some in Europe.
The premise is the same as the recitals, it's to have fun and share your love of piano with others, period!

In closing (I know, you thought I'd never get there) I want to thank all of you for being kind to one another and for
making Piano World, and the piano world a better place.

Looking forward to the next 50!

All the Best,
Frank and Kathy
From Piano World Headquarters in Parsonsfield Maine

Mr Super-Hunky --- Creator of the AB Forum Recitals

From our modest beginnings of just trying to figure out how to post a 'compilation of members recordings', to the well oiled [and administered] machine that it is today, our Adult Beginner Forums "Beginners and Beyond" quarterly online recitals have come a long way.

It was through the combined efforts of many ABF members who contributed their time and talents over the past twelve years to enable these quarterly recitals to evolve into the huge success that it is today featuring over 500 performers from all over the world. This is something that everyone involved, from the administrators to the performers, can be very proud of.

It has been said that "Music is what feelings sound like", and that statement couldn't be more true after listening to the amount of thoughtful effort and emotional input that goes into each and every ABF recital submission from our members. We truly are a unique group of people who have realized that our musical journey IS our destination!

Looking forward to the next twelve years as the journey continues..

Mr Super-Hunky.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736551
05/14/18 09:29 PM
05/14/18 09:29 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 50th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital 50 Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #50 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 50 Zip 1
Recital 50 Zip 2
Recital 50 Zip 3
Recital 50 Zip 4
Recital 50 Zip 5
Recital 50 Zip 6
Recital 50 Zip 7
Recital 50 Zip 8
Recital 50 Zip 9
Recital 50 Zip 10
Recital 50 Zip 11
Recital 50 Zip 12
Recital 50 Zip 13

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736557
05/14/18 09:44 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Teddy J.
Experience:~ 1 year
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Ballade no. 1 in G minor, op. 23 (Excerpt)
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:04:06
Source of music:I used Paul Barton's notated scores. https://goo.gl/ApDUc2
Instrument used:Kawai Concert Performer CP-155
Recording method:I used an audio pole (boom pole) in order to pick up both of the speakers on the digital piano, and converted it to mp3.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I'm more than aware this is not the perfect rendition of the Ballade. I feel bad to have to cut this piece in parts, as the entirety of it is beautiful. But due to a constrained amount of practice and performing time, this is the best performance I can give. I am aware as well that I am being (probably too) ambitious to be attempting this Ballade at one year, but being sixteen, I know I have to play some catch-up if I want to be a classical pianist full time. I plan on finishing and cleaning this Ballade to perfection, and continuing to participate in these recitals for the foreseeable future. Please give as much constructive criticism as you are willing, I want to improve myself in any way I can. Thank you!

If you need it, this is my forum profile: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/97136.html

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736558
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:SMA55 (Shepherd)
From:Chicago originally, currently residing in St. Louis
Experience:Self-taught as a child, then stopped playing for decades. Began classical lessons 4 years ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/NpcdAQ959Vs
Title of piece:Romance
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:03:13
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music
Instrument used:Steingraeber & Sohne D232
Recording method:Zoom H4n for audio, Zoom Q8 for video. Mp3 converted via Audacity. Audio and video synced using iMovie on my Mac.
Additional info:Liszt's "Romance" is a little gem of a piece that is not at all well known, and its history is a little complicated. It was written originally by Liszt as a young man, apparently as a vocal composition, but it was all but forgotten by him. Nearly 40 years later, a music dealer uncovered the score and sent it to Liszt, and the former asked the latter if he would allow him to publish it. Liszt was so surprised to have seen this long forgotten work of his that he titled it "Romance oubliette", or "Forgotten Romance". He then rewrote it for solo piano, and titled it simply "Romance". (Liszt also scored the work for piano and violin, piano and viola, and piano and cello.). It's unclear whether or not the piano version was ever published during Liszt's lifetime, as it first appeared posthumously in 1908.

I myself am partial to the less showy of Liszt's compositions, and so this one is in definitely in my wheelhouse. I've now submitted three Liszt pieces to the ABF recitals, and this one happens to be my favorite. I hope you like it, too. Thanks for listening!

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736559
05/14/18 09:45 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:UnderConstruction
Experience:2.5 years as a child, 3.5 years now as a returning adult
Video link:https://youtu.be/nG_LdpzGjZQ
Title of piece:Grande Valse Brillante Op18
Composer:F. Chopin
Duration:06:13
Source of music:IMSLP sheet music
Instrument used:Feurich 218
Recording method:iPad + Tascam
Additional info:This Grande Valse Brillante Opus 18 was Chopin's first published
waltz, which I guess is fitting for this occasion! Thought I'd give
myself a challenge and try it for this recital and challenged I was!
It took me about a billion tries, and there are still quite some
mashed notes but its the best I can do for now, so here goes nothing.
smile

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736561
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:7+ years
Title of piece:Les Rozeaux (The Reeds), Treizieme Ordre, No.2
Composer:Francois Couperin
Duration:05:14
Source of music:Sheet music, mostly from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:Francois Couperin came from a musically talented family - his father and his father's brother Louis Couperin were well known organist in Paris. When his father died (when he was 11), he already was promised to get his father's position as organist at 18 and got a regular salary there at 17. At 24 he succeeded his teacher at the royal court as well.

This piece comes from his 13th Ordre, 1722. All the ornaments in Couperin's works are highly detailed, but generally performers had quite some freedom to change these to good taste. But I mostly stick with the score in my performance.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736562
05/14/18 09:46 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:About 2.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/OIhoTXm3pi0
Title of piece:High Heels
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:12
Source of music:Essential Einaudi - Islands
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Same as usual. Audio out from the AvantGrand N2 into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam, producing an MP4 file. The audio file is then extracted and noised removed using Audacity. It's then added back into the video file along with making it black and white using ffmpeg. It's old school, command line approach, but it works.
Additional info:Thanks for listening, if you choose to do so. This is now the 3rd Einaudi piece I've learned. I really enjoy playing it. It's quite relaxing. There are some missed notes and a beat of one measure is missing, oh well. It's forgiving piece though. There are probably many ways to play it and it will still sound good.

I wouldn't say it's a technically challenging piece, it really didn't take that long to learn, although I don't have it memorized. The RCM pieces I've been working on for the exam in August are probably more challenging. But, Einaudi always sounds good smile

Now I need to find a new Einaudi piece to learn. Any suggestions? Lunch? The usual salad and pumpkin seeds.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736564
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jason Lenthe
Experience:I'm guessing 5 - 10 years spread out over the last 32 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/ZPdBhKceJvk
Title of piece:Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:03:56
Source of music:The Well-Tempered Clavier Books I and II Complete, Dover Publications, 1983
Instrument used:Yamaha P22
Recording method:Sony Handycam with audio extracted using Audacity (with ffmpeg and lame plugins)
Additional info:This is my first public performance since 1988. It's also my first go at a fugue which was a huge challenge to learn. I focused so much on the fugue that my most glaring mistake was in the prelude. Oh well.

One thing I find particularly amusing about playing the fugue is when the left pinky holds down a low C for the last 4 measures while the rest of the left hand plays another 30 notes!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736565
05/14/18 09:47 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ted (Ted Jones)
Experience:Sixty-seven years
Title of piece:Improvisation (concluding 6 minutes of 60)
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:05:54
Source of music:Pure improvisation
Instrument used:Weinbach 5'10" (1971) rebuilt in 2005
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:I am here because of Sam's kind invitation to members in the general Pianoworld forums. I do not consider myself either pianist or musician in the generally accepted sense of those terms. The last music teacher I had was over fifty years ago and I worked at a factory for thirty years before retiring ten years ago; I am now seventy. Most established genres, classical, jazz and so on, fail to interest or move me any longer and although I composed many such pieces in earlier years, some of which are on the Pianoworld CD, theory is still a total mystery to me, and I just create my own music in the form of recorded free improvisation. I guess the fact that I only started doing this seriously at fifty-eight qualifies me, albeit in a peculiar way, as an adult beginner. Most of my recorded improvisations, which number around 380 since my retirement, last anywhere from 60 to 100 minutes and are very diverse in content. This is the concluding few minutes of today's and is not necessarily typical of anything else I have played or am likely to play. I seldom have the slightest notion what is going to happen when I start playing; that is part of the fun.

Pure or free improvisation would seem to be an ideal musical path for an adult beginner, as it requires no musical knowledge of or adherence to, any established idiom, past or present, and can be executed at any level of physical technique. It probably won't lead to fame, money or perpetuity but its internal rewards in later life are immense.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736567
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:thepianoplayer416
Experience:10
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/user/thepianoplayer416
Title of piece:Bach Partita 1 - Minuet 1 in Bb (BWV825)
Duration:01:33
Source of music:downloaded from IMSLP.org
Instrument used:Yamaha P95 (88 keys)
Recording method:Sony A6000 camera
Additional info:Due to my busy schedule preparing for a concert with my music group in May playing 6 pieces for orchestra, decided to rework 1 piece that was worked on before the Christmas break. The tempo was a bit slow and uneven. Took a week of on & off practice with the focus on the orchestral pieces to get to an ideal tempo.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736568
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, then self taught since December 2011
Title of piece:La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:29
Source of music:'Ludovico Einaudi - The Best Of' sheet music album
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:'La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete' translates as 'the birth of secret things'. It is from Einaudi's i Giorgi solo piano album (released in November 2001), composed following his travels throughout Africa.

I'm following in the footsteps of my role models with this piece. It was CarlosCC's first Recital submission, when he'd been playing the piano for only 11 months. I'd kept putting it to one side, but it was Monica K's polished performance six months ago that inspired me to re-visit it and try to have it ready to record. This is the closest I've managed yet.

Carlos and Monica, thank you! You'll notice the still-rough bits, but hopefully few others will ...

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736569
05/14/18 09:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:jazztpt
Experience:40+
Title of piece:Saying Goodbye
Composer:jazztpt
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507 Digital
Recording method:Recorded on piano and converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:Thank you for the invitation to play.
I haven't contributed for a while but this will be my 20th submission. I have always submitted original music and I continue this tradition with 'Saying Goodbye' a tune I wrote a very long time ago. I have submitted a couple of versions of this to the Piano Bar in the past (one quite recently) but this is a new version recorded for the 50th recital. I know the form pretty (very) well so I managed to get a decent enough version in one take (after a bit of a warm up). Lots of improvisation in this one and quite different from my last recorded version so definitely under the heading of Jazz.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736570
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:approx. 10 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzY9p70p3A4&feature=youtu.be
Title of piece:Prelude #15 op. 28 "Raindrop"
Composer:Chopin
Duration:05:46
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 214VC
Recording method:Zoom to audacity
Additional info:The history of this piece is believed to be as follows. Some, though not all, of Op. 28 was written during Chopin and George Sand's stay at a monastery in Valldemossa, Majorca in 1838.[2] In her Histoire de ma vie, Sand related how one evening she and her son Maurice, returning from Palma in a terrible rainstorm, found a distraught Chopin who exclaimed, "Ah! I knew well that you were dead." While playing his piano he had a dream:

He saw himself drowned in a lake. Heavy drops of icy water fell in a regular rhythm on his breast, and when I made him listen to the sound of the drops of water indeed falling in rhythm on the roof, he denied having heard it. He was even angry that I should interpret this in terms of imitative sounds. He protested with all his might- and he was right to - against the childishness of such aural imitations. His genius was filled with the mysterious sounds of nature, but transformed into sublime equivalents in musical thought, and not through slavish imitation of the actual external sounds.[3]

Sand did not say which prelude Chopin played for her on that occasion, but most music critics assume it to be no. 15, because of the repeating drone, with its suggestion of the "gentle patter" of rain.[4] However, Peter Dayan points out that Sand accepted Chopin's protests that the prelude was not an imitation of the sound of raindrops, but a translation of nature's harmonies within Chopin's "genie".[5] Frederick Niecks says that the prelude "rises before one's mind the cloistered court of the monastery of Valldemossa, and a procession of monks chanting lugubrious prayers, and carrying in the dark hours of night their departed brother to his last resting-place."(Niecks, Frederick (2009). Frederick Chopin as a Man and Musician)

I really enjoy playing this piece. It has such deep emotion. The biggest challenges are keeping the drone regular and subdued, voicing the large chords properly, and creating the build of the tension. The Youtube video is better than the mp3. I submitted it later, but did not want to resubmit.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736571
05/14/18 09:49 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons as a child, 30+ without a teacher since
Home page link:http://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Adagio from Sonata Pathetique, Op. 13
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:10
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with Pianodisc silent system, Galaxy Vintage D
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI cable to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, recorded with Savihost plugin
Additional info:I was a bit uncertain what kind of piece to submit for this very special recital. Some less-known piece to discover would suit as well as one of the great piano hits everybody knows. I eventually opted for the latter. This recording is the third version from April, 18th. I discarded my two former versions from February and March which I did not like any more after having heard Rubinstein and Yundi play this piece on Youtube. The main difficulty of this piece lies in putting the different voices in relation to each other.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736572
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Paige
Experience:About 17 or so years of self teaching with about 8 weeks of lessons
Title of piece:Sonatina op 36 no 3
Composer:Clementi
Duration:07:47
Source of music:Bastien Piano Literature Volume 3
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius electric piano
Recording method:Garage band
Additional info:This is no where near perfect, but I figured this is a good time to get some feedback on it. That being said,I am way more comfortable with the first and second movement than I am the third. Its a work in progress, but not too terrible considering I've taken about the past 5 or 6 years off and decided to pick it back up with a great teacher!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736573
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Alan Chandler (akc42)
Experience:Learnt to Grade 3 as Child (1956 - 1961) then restarted in September 2017
Video link:https://youtu.be/rqrRukHXARc
Home page link:https://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
Title of piece:Pathetique Sonata Op 13 2nd Movement (Adagio Cantabile)
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:05
Source of music:ABRSM Signature Series
Instrument used:Kawai CA67
Recording method:Internal Recorder, convert to WAV on USB, then Audacity to MP3
Additional info:This is my second major piece to have learnt since restarting last September (2017). I was initially thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew when I chose this piece, but my piano teacher suggested I "go for it". I struggled for a while with the first 16 bars thinking I would never be able to play the whole piece, but eventually it started to come together and I have got it to the level in this recording made on 1 May 2018. Although this was a long struggle (4 1/2 months) it has taught me a lot about voicing and control of the left hand and I do think it was worth the effort in the end. However I feel it is about as far as I can take it without much more experience and time.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736575
05/14/18 09:50 PM
05/14/18 09:50 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:GoldmanT
Experience:Organ lessons from 8-13, then the guitar and synth years, then picked up piano again last year.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgI9f40V5a8
Title of piece:Bruyeres
Composer:Claude Debussy
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Sheet music (Schirmer)
Instrument used:Kawai CN35
Recording method:USB
Additional info:There are a few wrong notes but people who don't know the tune probably wouldn't pick up on them, so I kept this take as I was happy with a lot of the rest of the performance.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736582
05/14/18 10:05 PM
05/14/18 10:05 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Too many even for me now . . .
Video link:https://youtu.be/39HZ3Yi85Sk
Title of piece:Troublesome Treadmill
Composer:Me
Duration:01:40
Source of music:Self written sheets
Instrument used:Pianoteq K2
Recording method:Memory stick wav. straight to computer. Used Vidoepad software for vid.
Additional info:I transferred the music onto paper via "Flat" notation software. Its fairly new, I think, and very innovative. Even I felt able to handle it with little bother, and in time it becomes a faster way to write music.
The song was another throwaway ditti; fun to play around with. Trouble is, when it's written down you can't play around with it . . . .or, you don't feel inclined to. So it's no longer much fun to play.
You move on. Write another.
It's like being on an eternal treadmill. And that sounds like a good next title . . . .shrug. I need a drink.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736583
05/14/18 10:06 PM
05/14/18 10:06 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:cmb13 - Craig
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/hWQ6h1ucDBw
Title of piece:Consolation 3 in Db - Lento Placido
Composer:Liszt
Duration:04:48
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Boston 118 PE
Recording method:Logitech C920, Blue Yeti mic to Macbook Pro
Additional info:Composed around 1849, in the Nocturne style, this piece is felt to be in homage to Liszt's contemporary, Fredric Chopin, who had recently passed.

I recorded this piece as an adult beginner, with about 4.5 years experience. On initial takes, I found my tempo slower than the professional recordings, so I increased it for this one. A few mistakes exist, and I didn't nail the 16th note passages as well as I could have, but it was my best take, so here it is!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736584
05/14/18 10:08 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/DQs9EMkJNNQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Abendmusik (Evening Music), Opus 99, No. 12
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:05:05
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV10 with Pianist Mode "Classic"
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Abendmusik (Evening Music) is No. 12 in Schumann's Opus 99 "Bunte Blaetter" (which translates to "Colorful Leaves", basically meaning "Various Sheets" in this context). After the Album for the Young, the Bunte Blaetter were another commercial success for Schumann and his publisher Arnold. It combines a number of compositions from various years, from 1836 to 1849.

With its title "Evening Music", and with the mainly p and pp dynamics (except for two sudden but very short fortes), and also with the sometimes quite long, explicitly marked pedal passages over several measures, this piece evokes in me pictures of sitting on a porch or terrace, maybe with a good glass of wine, looking over a nice garden or maybe a lake or mountain vista, with the day coming to a calm end and the sun setting, while the birds settle in for the night. Even then, it has a few interesting, almost dissonant chords and cadenzas, which sometimes, quite suddenly, pierce through the calm evening mood - until it all settles down in the end.

And congratulations, and thank you, to the organizers and the community for reaching the milestone of the 50th consecutive quarterly ABF recital! It is also a personal milestone for me, as this is at the same time the 10th consecutive recital that I participated in. Yay!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736586
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Lots but not much instruction
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVY6aARcFY&index=1&list=PL0WpUqPW18i8XOpavZg2UcY8F-WTTUiE_&t=0s
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Message From Space- Music For a Moon Landing
Composer:Peyton
Duration:05:25
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:I thought I would re-visit my "Message From Space" saga as well as add to my "Music For..." series. The footage on the Youtube video is from drone footage I had shot earlier for a youtube movie called "Highest Drone Flight Ever". If you do watch it, and I hope you do, you really need to see the end as it all is "explained".

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736587
05/14/18 10:09 PM
05/14/18 10:09 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:fishandchips
Experience:1.5 years
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-197203213
Title of piece:French Suite No. 4 in E-flat major BWV 815 - Allemande
Duration:04:17
Source of music:Memorized from score
Instrument used:Kawai ES110
Recording method:Galaxy Vintage D in Reaper
Additional info:I got so nervous towards the end of this recording that my hands were shaking like mad. How ridiculous! Attempting another take probably would've given me a heart attack. Cause of death: online piano recital.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736588
05/14/18 10:13 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:about 9 years since I restarted
Video link:https://youtu.be/hd-U_rkkJCQ
Title of piece:Pocket Size Sonata 2 - Moderato (and Mellow)
Composer:Templeton, Alec
Duration:03:37
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:You probably want to watch the video - I put on a tie...

This is my 36th consecutive quarterly recital - I started with number 13. It's been a great experience. I've learned a lot, gotten plenty of valuable experience, and struggled with the deadline every 3 months. I'm so glad I had the courage to start participating. I would not be playing as well as I am if I had kept my music to myself.

Tootles and I have been married for 38 years. She plays better clarinet than I play piano! This is a great piece, the first movement of a jazzy sonata. The piano part is more difficult than it sounds - sorry for the mistakes. I have played it better - honest!

Thanks for listening!

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736590
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Sandalholme
Experience:Too many
Title of piece:Song without Words Op102 No4
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:03:03
Source of music:Henle Urtext edition
Instrument used:Pianoteq Steinway D on Kawai ES7
Recording method:Direct to midi, rendered via Pianoteq, topped and tailed in Audacity
Additional info:Still progressing being able to record more than a couple of minutes without having to cut/edit sections. I'm practicing for a charity recital in June, so that is another spur to get it (almost) right first time.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736591
05/14/18 10:15 PM
05/14/18 10:15 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:J Soo
Experience:Many
Title of piece:Prelude in G Minor (Op. 28 No. 5)
Composer:Rachmoninoff
Duration:05:37
Source of music:Memorized from an old copy of the Schirmer collection "59 Piano Solos You Like To Play"
Instrument used:Pianoteq 6 Steinway D (Chamber Recording BA) driven by Roland FP-30
Recording method:Pianoteq WAV output converted to MP3 in iTunes
Additional info:I loved listening to my mother play this piece when I was a child. As such I always considered it "her piece" and never seriously attempted it, until late last year I finally felt like giving it a go. I'd like to play it a little faster but, obviously enough, I'm already struggling with accuracy at this tempo.

While this famous prelude certainly lends itself to bombastic (outer sections) and heavily romantic (middle section) interpretations, I prefer the performances I've heard with a lighter touch, emphasizing what I think of as its tragicomic character.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736592
05/14/18 10:16 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:About 14 years, self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/cVNHTogh3DE
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Game of Thrones (Main Title)
Composer:Ramin Djawadi
Duration:03:43
Source of music:Solo piano arrangement by Patrik Pietschmann; link to hear him playing it the way it should sound, as well as a link to purchase the sheet music can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGBxiNPu3k
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Audio mp3 file recorded with Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:My husband and I jumped very late on the Game of Thrones bandwagon, starting to watch it only last fall. I was immediately captivated by its beautiful soundtrack, and I looked for a solo piano transcription I could play. I found an arrangement by Patrik Plietschmann on YouTube (see link above) and immediately fell in love with its combination of bombastic, driving octaves in the first half and the dainty, delicate melody in the second half. So I set about trying to learn it. I found it technically very challenging--I'm not used to playing octaves fast, and the second part required a hard workout of the 4th and 5th fingers to voice the melody properly. And then there's the huge leaps in the bass at the very end. Hoowee. I don't think I've ever played it all the way through without a major blooper, and my recording is a good 50 seconds slower than Patrik's, but it's still a heck of a lot of fun to play. I should note that I had to modify four measures (leaving out a note of certain chords) to have any hope of playing it even at my slower tempo. Last, I also played the last couple of measures a few octaves higher, as I thought that better captured the tinkling harpsichord effect of the original soundtrack.

Lunch was leftover pasta with roasted butternut squash, kale, and toasted pine nuts.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736594
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Jerzyk19
Experience:18 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXYOWOBEYI
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaPf4RhG5BrDMylIRYpiAew
Title of piece:O Mio Babbino Caro
Composer:Giacomo Puccini
Duration:01:42
Source of music:Music Sheet
Instrument used:Roland LX17
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:I have to say that to put this piece together took me quite a long time. Both hands ware difficult to me but I did my best.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736595
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ael M. (aelmabalod)
Experience:11 years (I'm 17)
Title of piece:Arabesque no. 1
Composer:Claude Debussy
Duration:04:44
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Samick "upright grand"
Additional info:This piece is a special one because it's the first one I learned by myself. I was supposed to learn it with my past teacher's help 2 years ago, but she decided that it was too advanced to be an introductory piece to two-against-threes. She eventually left mid-semester and our polyrhythm lessons were discontinued. Over the past two semesters, I have been working on all 3 movements of Beethoven's Sonata no. 8, Op. 13 (Pathetique), and although the polyrhythm found in the 2nd movement was little, I had grasped the idea. I decided to start working on Debussy's Arabesque no. 1, since I fell in love with it the moment I listened to it 2 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it seemed now.

Regarding this recording, there really are a lot of mistakes here and there (the pedals, missing notes, sudden change in tempo, etc) but I decided it was better to submit this than to spend another hour in frustration trying to get a perfect recording. My perfectionisim - 0, Ael - 1. Also, it was around 10 pm when I recorded this, but I feel the cricket noises somehow make the piece feel more relaxing. Or maybe it's just me.

We recently moved to a new location and it has affected the piano's sound quality. Hence, it sounds horribly out of tune, especially during the first parts. The pedals are also somehow not working very well on my left hand keys. I'll get this checked as soon as possible, though.

Constructive criticism is much appreciated.

P.S. Paul Barton is one of the best pianists out there when it comes to interpretation! His YouTube videos of this piece helped me a lot.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736596
05/14/18 10:17 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:25 months
Title of piece:Aria When Thou Art Near BWV 508
Composer:Bach - Stolzel
Duration:02:06
Source of music:J.S. Bach - Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, Alfred Publishing Co
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to MIDI, rendered with Garritan CFX, normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:This aria is composed by Stolzel and part of his opera Diomedes. Bach included a version for soprano and bass voices in his 1725 Anna Magdalena Bach Notebook.
I have played the first repeat, but not the second one.
Thank you for listening.

Re: Recital 50 --- May 15, 2018 [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2736597
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:Just over 8
Video link:https://youtu.be/aVfuKkKPDd4
Title of piece:Waltz Am Posth. N. 19 (B 150)
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Sheet music, though I probably played without looking at it smile
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N (Silent feature used)
Recording method:audacity to PC
Additional info:I feel in love with this piece the first time I heard it, which would have been in May, August or November of 2010 I don't remember. I do remember presenting it to my first teacher saying I longed to play it , and she said - well...we can try.
Needless to say, in my first year of playing it was waaaaay beyond me. After working on Traumerei last year, I figured I was ready for this - and so took the plunge.
Again, needless to say, it was much easier to tackle 7 years on in my piano journey!.
I've now done my first set of BIG THREE longed for pieces (Traumerei, The Town I Loved So Well, and this Waltz. I will have to start planning the next big adventures!

I recorded this a week or so ago and I have no idea what I had for the closest meal to the recording, but I did do it in one take! It's also the first time in a long time that I have made a video.
The video includes paintings I've done, mostly since January, and mostly with pastels (though one is watercolour). I am VERY new to painting - so don't expect any masterpieces smile

I've been enjoying it so much that painting is a little bit in competition with piano - but just a little bit! I try to paint in the morning when there's more light, and do piano later in the day.
So.... I hope you enjoy your listening, and if you choose, the viewing as well. I know I've had hours and hours of pleasure preparing for this!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Skips Vs.Steps desperation
by Melodies. 06/25/18 12:52 AM
Which tool to polish pedals?
by mivaldes. 06/24/18 10:42 PM
Touchrail system?
by Radio.Octave. 06/24/18 09:47 PM
Can words be used to describe music?
by pianoloverus. 06/24/18 04:21 PM
electronic tuners
by oth47. 06/24/18 02:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,120
Posts2,727,182
Members90,446
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission