2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
K
Originally Posted by ghostwind

Yes, I tried both in fact. GL 30 too. For my place, 5’8” is about as large as I can go without the sound being way too loud. This is actually why I’m considering the Yamaha GC1M now - the smaller ones will have more character.

Larger piano does not necessarily mean louder. In general, it's easier to play softer on the larger piano. Larger piano of the same model is usually better in bass.

BTW, have you tried Yamaha C1X and C2X? Those are fine pianos.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Kenny Cheng

Yes, I tried both in fact. GL 30 too. For my place, 5’8” is about as large as I can go without the sound being way too loud. This is actually why I’m considering the Yamaha GC1M now - the smaller ones will have more character.

Larger piano does not necessarily mean louder. In general, it's easier to play softer on the larger piano. Larger piano of the same model is usually better in bass.

BTW, have you tried Yamaha C1X and C2X? Those are fine pianos.

CX range is out of my price range. They are definitely nicer sounding and build quality is higher. The GC2 definitely had more volume. In terms of feel and sound, I was honestly surprised with how the GC1M sounded in the lower bass. Both felt the same to me, as I don't think the GC2's keys are much larger (probably negligible). I played both with the lid down and folded back to rule out showroom acoustics, and then lid in all positions as well. And I play softly on purpose, but as I was saying, both felt really the same.

The Kawai GX-1 is definitely higher build quality (it's their mid-tier while the GCXX is Yamaha's entry level tier), more close to the CX Yamahas. It's why I think it's a better value. I just prefer the action on the Yamaha and the sustain. Hard to make a pick..

R
R
@ghostwind: Just out of curiousity, have you tried some of the Pianobuyer staff picks [1] for short grands made in China? Like Ritmüller GH-148R (4'10") or others? They have specs that compete with mid tier Yamahas (things like vertically laminated bridges) but priced like low tier Yamahas. The Ritmueller could easily be had for less than 10k USD. I would be interested in what you thought of them.

[1] https://www.pianobuyer.com/Articles/Detail/ArticleId/243/The-New-Piano-Market-Today-Staff-Picks

Last edited by redfish1901; 05/13/18 03:43 PM.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
in the staff picks for the same size range as the yamaha GC2, but on a lower price tier, are two other chinese pianos, the well regarded Hailun 178 and another euro-influenced design, Perzina 175. as others have suggested, a few inches longer in a grand does not always bring louder amplitude. it does often mean more controllable key length and consistent scale design. my first grand was a late 60's 5' 3 in. yamaha, which was just as loud as our present 1919 seven foot grand.

G
OP Offline
G
Yes, I did look at the staff picks on there. They like the Kawai GX-2 in the larger size range, so I would think the GX-1 is also liked, but they don't list it. It's quite similar. I know there are a LOT of other choices, but the reason I'm "limited" to Yamaha or Kawai, is because I can get 100% trade in value for my piano from the dealer I got it from (lifetime) and they have Yamahas and Kawais. Plus, I do like them smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Regarding the Staff Picks, we try everything we can get our fingers on. Trying the entire Kawai grand lineup isn't a hard thing for us to do, between larger dealers and trade shows.

Ghostwind, it sounds like you've already found the specific piano that inspires you.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Regarding the Staff Picks, we try everything we can get our fingers on. Trying the entire Kawai grand lineup isn't a hard thing for us to do, between larger dealers and trade shows.

Ghostwind, it sounds like you've already found the specific piano that inspires you.

Of course. I was just thinking that if you liked and recommended the GX-2, you’d probably also like the GX-1. But yeah, I have 2-3 pianos and going back and forth. Either would inspire me and be a step up from my upright, so I have to play them more. What are your thoughts or experience with the Yamaha GC1/2 in terms of durability and longevity compared to the Kawai? Or in any area.

K
K

Of course. I was just thinking that if you liked and recommended the GX-2, you’d probably also like the GX-1. But yeah, I have 2-3 pianos and going back and forth. Either would inspire me and be a step up from my upright, so I have to play them more. What are your thoughts or experience with the Yamaha GC1/2 in terms of durability and longevity compared to the Kawai? Or in any area.

Don't worry about the durability and longevity for either Yamaha or Kawai. They are both reliable. In other areas, it's just preferences.

G
OP Offline
G

Don't worry about the durability and longevity for either Yamaha or Kawai. They are both reliable. In other areas, it's just preferences.

I think I worded that wrong. I was just curious on the build quality of the GC1/2 Yamahas compared to the Kawai GX-1/2. The latter seem stronger to me - including the keybed and keyslip. I don't want to get a finicky piano that is, and worried a bit more about Yamaha since they are the entry level models.

G
OP Offline
G
Update! So after all this, I was able to get full trade-in on my Boston upright and a good price on the Boston GP-163 PE-II grand, so I went with that. Very similar to the Kawai GX-1 (as they share a lot), except I prefer the touch and tone of the Boston slightly more, and with the full trade-in it was cheaper as well. In the end its about touch and tone and price. I didn't find any new formulas smile

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Congratulations on the new piano! Don’t forget to post pictures.

I can get 100% trade in value for my piano from the dealer I got it from (lifetime

Gosh, do we ever learn on this board?
[having nothing to do with the eventual choice of piano..]

Norbert : shocked

Last edited by Norbert; 05/16/18 10:29 PM.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Norbert
I can get 100% trade in value for my piano from the dealer I got it from (lifetime

Gosh, do we ever learn on this board?
[having nothing to do with the eventual choice of piano..]

Norbert : shocked

Huh?

K
K
Congratulations on the new piano.

I'm sure you will enjoy many years to come.

Let us know when the piano is delivered.

G
OP Offline
G
Congratulations on the new piano.

I'm sure you will enjoy many years to come.

Let us know when the piano is delivered.

Yes, I will update with photos too. Delivery is for June 1st! I was going to have the Dampp-Chaser installed, but Steinway doesn't support that anymore and says it could void warranty. I think it's due to older units that would not shut off and keep on heating when the water tank was empty, or units incorrectly installed. So in that case, those did do damage.

http://keepintune.com/nltr/2015/01/...-allowing-dampp-chaser-systems-not-good/

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations ghostwind on making your decision. When will you take delivery?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Second sentence, “Delivery is for June 1st!”

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission