2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
It's been awhile folks and it's great being home again after my rather unpleasant journey between health issues and gawd awful stress that I can't believe didn't kill me as well, pretty much gone, I'm back to lessons again and enjoying every minute of it. I'm studying with someone overseas via Zoom, which is weird but quite enjoyable. We're working on stuff slowly, and I mean slowly, but it's fun nonetheless. I'll do more on this in the piano music forums.

That mini-stroke, plus everything else had set me on a downward spiral in February 2012 onward. It took about two years for my left hand to come back to life, and after having "some words" with the family, I was allowed to play the piano again. The thing is they got used to no piano being played and pretty much took over with the TV. The complaints rained in and strong words were said. I caved at first because I didn't want to make waves due to the stress that they cause, but I tried again and again, and finally I got my way.

In May 2017 I moved my piano from its first floor room that was its home for its first 7 years to a second floor room, which is brighter and bigger. In that room lives my digital piano and my large clavichord, and all get played mostly equally, though the two pianos more than the clavichord have quite a bit more activity. The new room has the advantage too of being even more out of the way and less disturbing to others below.

Anyway, the Vogel has held up well, more scratched than I thought thanks to my sister putting stuff on it while I wasn't around, but all in all it still sounds good, and the scratches can be cleaned up.

So now let's talk pianos and music, which is a lot more fun than talking about me!

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It’s good to see you here again, John.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, John! smile

Glad you're feeling better and your hand is cooperating again. I'm a proponent that the piano is good therapy, physically, mentally and spiritually! I know it has helped me, though I still can't play all that well.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
John, thanks for sharing your positive news with us. maintaining harmony in the household is of course paramount, but the boob tube is responsible for mental and spiritual degeneration through large parts of industrial/technologically advanced societies. may you enjoy many rewarding musical journeys.

J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rickster
Welcome back, John! smile

Glad you're feeling better and your hand is cooperating again. I'm a proponent that the piano is good therapy, physically, mentally and spiritually! I know it has helped me, though I still can't play all that well.

Rick

I agree wholeheartedly as well. I never realized the true power of music in its healing abilities. There are some interesting studies being done on this regarding Parkinson Disease and other neurodegenterive conditions.

The biggest part was pushing myself through the stiffness little by little. The more I did it, the less I had it, though I still get it in my left hand but not as bad. The stamina too, geeze, I'd need a super-nap after an hour's worth of practice. The pushing helped though, and the lessons are the best I've had in decades.

---

Originally Posted by huaidongxi
John, thanks for sharing your positive news with us. maintaining harmony in the household is of course paramount, but the boob tube is responsible for mental and spiritual degeneration through large parts of industrial/technologically advanced societies. may you enjoy many rewarding musical journeys.

Thank you, huaidongxi. I agree that boob tube is the detriment to a lot of things we used to enjoy. I do intend on continuing my musical journeys. There's so little time and so much to discover.

John

Last edited by John Citron; 04/26/18 07:59 PM.

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Very pleased to have you back John. thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Hello Carey, I'm happy to be back too.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by huaidongxi

Except for the odd sports event, I haven’t watched TV for years. Since I got serious about piano, neither my wife nor I ever watch. Time is just too precious and we have too many ways we’d prefer to use ours.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome back, John! Sorry to hear of your struggles, but glad to hear things are better for you.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I have missed you, great to see you back!

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi, John! Good to have you back!

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Welcome home to your piano, John.

And welcome back to PW. Great to "see you here again.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Must have been a might big cat ... smile

Good to hear from you again. I imagine some "words" may have been spoken to your sister about what not to do to the lid of a grand piano! grin

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission