Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
87 registered members (Beowulf, bounced, anamnesis, bennevis, Charles Cohen, ando, BearLake, 26 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2737328
05/17/18 03:49 AM
05/17/18 03:49 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
If it doesn't work with mainstage or garage band (or logic?), you can always download Reaper for Mac as a free functioning demo here:

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

...and record on that.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: toddy] #2737342
05/17/18 04:42 AM
05/17/18 04:42 AM
S
slobajudge Offline OP
slobajudge  Offline OP
S
Originally Posted by toddy
If it doesn't work with mainstage or garage band (or logic?), you can always download Reaper for Mac as a free functioning demo here:

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

...and record on that.

Yes, there was a little problem with stability in Reaper earlier, but with new update 1.0.582 it works excellent

Last edited by slobajudge; 05/17/18 04:42 AM.
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2737418
05/17/18 12:07 PM
05/17/18 12:07 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by David B
Some time ago I purchased MainStage, but never used it. I'm thinking that I might be able to run the VSL CFX as a AU plugin with MainStage and and record with it also. Therefore, I don't have to buy a new program to record. I'm waiting to hear back from Paul to confirm his CFX will work with MainStage. I will get the VSL CFX if it does.

God Bless,
David

Are you talking about recording audio or midi? If the latter, and it's just the piano (i.e. not combined with other VSTs), then Savihost, which is entirely free and very easy to use, will let you do that. If it's recording midi, then it becomes a fair bit more complex with free software, but it's still possible.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: karvala] #2737468
05/17/18 02:51 PM
05/17/18 02:51 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Originally Posted by karvala
Some time ago I purchased MainStage, but never used it. I'm thinking that I might be able to run the VSL CFX as a AU plugin with MainStage and and record with it also. Therefore, I don't have to buy a new program to record. I'm waiting to hear back from Paul to confirm his CFX will work with MainStage. I will get the VSL CFX if it does.

God Bless,
David

Are you talking about recording audio or midi? If the latter, and it's just the piano (i.e. not combined with other VSTs), then Savihost, which is entirely free and very easy to use, will let you do that. If it's recording midi, then it becomes a fair bit more complex with free software, but it's still possible.

I'm too ignorant to really even know the difference. I just want to record what I'm playing, insert it into a video (via iMovie) and upload it to youtube. Grangeband meets all my needs until now. However, I believe I can record with MainStage. MainStage give me the option to record in different formants (wav, aiff, etc.) I wish VSL worked in Grageband. That would make thinks a lot easier for me. However, I'm still going to get it because the demos sound really good to me. Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Macbook Air/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-30 Completed
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2737469
05/17/18 02:52 PM
05/17/18 02:52 PM
Italy
Erard Offline
Erard  Offline
Italy
I just installed the new version of Synchron Pianos (1.0.582) and the first bullet of the changelog says:

Added: Per-note tuning parameters (Edit View) thumb

I guess it's possible to input the data for historical tunings or modern tunings different from equal now. This is great!
There is no indication of the meaning of the number, but from a quick testing it seems to indicate cents (cent = one hundredth of a semitone in the equal tempered tuning).

Last edited by Erard; 05/17/18 02:53 PM.

Yamaha C3M - Kawai Novus - VSL CFX - Garritan CFX - Pianoteq Pro - American Concert D - Ravenscroft 275
PC -> Sonarworks Reference 4 -> RME Babyface Pro -> Schiit Yggdrasil + Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & HD800
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2737474
05/17/18 03:00 PM
05/17/18 03:00 PM
Italy
Erard Offline
Erard  Offline
Italy

I wish VSL worked in Grageband. That would make thinks a lot easier for me.

David, am I missing something?

Originally Posted by dbudde

I have no problem running Synchron CFX in GarageBand.

Yamaha C3M - Kawai Novus - VSL CFX - Garritan CFX - Pianoteq Pro - American Concert D - Ravenscroft 275
PC -> Sonarworks Reference 4 -> RME Babyface Pro -> Schiit Yggdrasil + Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & HD800
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: Erard] #2737483
05/17/18 03:16 PM
05/17/18 03:16 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Originally Posted by Erard

I wish VSL worked in Grageband. That would make thinks a lot easier for me.

David, am I missing something?

I have no problem running Synchron CFX in GarageBand.

I'm just going by what Paul said about it. He said his product would not work in Garageband. If it does, fantastic!

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2737497
05/17/18 04:02 PM
05/17/18 04:02 PM
Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
S
sorrownightingale Offline
sorrownightingale  Offline
S
Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
Karvala and Erard what do you think about the changelog in the new version of Synchron Pianos (1.0.582) ?, I'm considering upgrade to full version..but I need another SSD to do this!!

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: sorrownightingale] #2737514
05/17/18 05:39 PM
05/17/18 05:39 PM
Italy
Erard Offline
Erard  Offline
Italy
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale
Karvala and Erard what do you think about the changelog in the new version of Synchron Pianos (1.0.582) ?, I'm considering upgrade to full version..but I need another SSD to do this!!

well - it depends on how you look at it, I guess!
You could say they should have fixed all the bugs before going live - or you could just accept it and enjoy the ride, since the piano plays ok and the problems left are not a show stopper.
I for one I'm happy they finally introduced a way to tune note by note - maybe also because of the tight back and forth they've had with customers - who knows.
I have the full version, but I haven't used much the new mics - just the ones from the standard library.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: sorrownightingale] #2737620
05/18/18 08:26 AM
05/18/18 08:26 AM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale

They have fixed some things in 1.0.582, most notably the sustain pedal sample cutoff problem that was quite significant, but in both this version and the previous version that have also been increasing/lengthening the room resonance in the release samples, which has the unfortunate effect of decreasing playability. It's bad enough that I've reverted to 1.0.464, in spite of some of the other performance issues. I'm hoping they'll address that, but we'll see.

In terms of the full version, I'd say it's borderline. I definitely prefer Close2 to Close1 as the close mic, even though it's slightly less close, because it has significantly fewer/less prominent flaws. I'm ambivalent about Mid1 and Mid2; they're quite similar to each other. The three extra ambient mics (surround, high, high-surround) are nice and can add an exquisite room resonance that it is a step up from Main/Main-C mics, but they are even more distant and for an instrument that's already drowning in reverb and resonance their usefulness is quite limited. Essentially, they can be used as an alternative type of reverb and probably not much else unless you're into a VERY ambient sound. Worth it for the money? Debatable.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: karvala] #2737853
05/19/18 04:06 AM
05/19/18 04:06 AM
Italy
Erard Offline
Erard  Offline
Italy

They have fixed some things in 1.0.582, most notably the sustain pedal sample cutoff problem that was quite significant, but in both this version and the previous version that have also been increasing/lengthening the room resonance in the release samples, which has the unfortunate effect of decreasing playability. It's bad enough that I've reverted to 1.0.464, in spite of some of the other performance issues. I'm hoping they'll address that, but we'll see.

It's true that the new long reverb on the release samples smudge the sound somewhat, but if there is one thing I didn't like in the old version was the weird clipping of the release samples. Staccato playing didn't sound right at all, especially in the middle of the keyboard. Now staccato sounds natural, in the sense that there is no unreal electronic clipping, but in legato playing there is too much interaction between the notes , especially if you use Mid1 or Mid2.
I can see how they felt this was an improvement, but to me both versions are not there yet.
I read your post over at VSL, and I tend to agree - but unfortunately going back to the old version is not a solution in my experience. I think they should cut the reverb at the end, but in a more natural way than the artificial clipping used in 1.0.464.

Last edited by Erard; 05/19/18 04:14 AM.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738214
05/20/18 11:19 AM
05/20/18 11:19 AM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
I certainly agree that there's a lot of room for improvement in the way they handle the release samples in general. 1.0.464 is the least available at the moment, but I absolutely agree it's still far from ideal. Hopefully they'll implement a properly done release sample control, and then it will be problem solved.

Last edited by karvala; 05/20/18 11:19 AM.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: karvala] #2738219
05/20/18 11:56 AM
05/20/18 11:56 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Hopefully they'll implement a properly done release sample control, and then it will be problem solved.

I read your post at the VSL forum regarding this subject and I listened to your example clip. I can also tell the difference between the longer release sample in the comparative example you gave.

My question is: what is a "release sample" and how is it different from other samples?

I still plan on purchasing the standard version this week when I have access to faster internet at work. I just hope my old MacBook air Mid 2012, 2 GHz i7, 8 GB ram, SSD, can run the program.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/20/18 11:56 AM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738223
05/20/18 12:11 PM
05/20/18 12:11 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
My question is: what is a "release sample" and how is it different from other samples?

When you let go of a piano key (with no pedalling involved) the damper engages again and stops the strings vibrating. This phase sound different depending on how quickly you release the key - the sound of the felt stifling the sound of the vibrating strings will have different qualities. These are recorded as short, single cycle samples in a set called 'release samples' and they they're triggered when the key returns to its rest position. (Edit: to be precise, they're triggered just before the key returns to its rest position)

Last edited by toddy; 05/20/18 12:14 PM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738226
05/20/18 12:24 PM
05/20/18 12:24 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Originally Posted by toddy
When you let go of a piano key (with no pedalling involved) ...

Cool! Thanks.

Someone mentioned on the VSL forum that they think it's "transient." They referred to transient as "the opposite" of release sample. Any idea what transient means?

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/20/18 12:30 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738229
05/20/18 12:48 PM
05/20/18 12:48 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
Transient is a stage of a sound (especially a musical note type of sound) where a rapid change takes place - the tonguing sound of a flute or the pluck of a guitar would be complex examples) and they are vital in identifying a sound. They are not necessarily at the front of the musical note but that's where the most important determining transients are. And when they are at the begining of the note, the transient is called attack (or is a determining characteristic of the attack).

I'd say that the release characteristics of a piano note (that is, release samples) are also transients.

PS, God bless you too!

Last edited by toddy; 05/20/18 12:54 PM.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738232
05/20/18 01:00 PM
05/20/18 01:00 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Portugal
On a synthesiser, a note is broken down into four (or sometimes more) parts: attack, decay, sustain, release, known as ADSR. Since a piano does not have the ability to sustain (maintain a note at the same volume level), nor to be changed in any way once the key has been struck, there are only three stages in a piano note: attack, decay and release.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738235
05/20/18 01:10 PM
05/20/18 01:10 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
@Toddy

Very informative. Thank you!

Last edited by David B; 05/20/18 01:11 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738353
05/21/18 07:08 AM
05/21/18 07:08 AM
France
Frédéric L Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
France
Yes, no sustain on a piano, but the decay has two phases : https://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/weinreic/motion.html

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738375
05/21/18 10:44 AM
05/21/18 10:44 AM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Alternative definition of transients follows. Sound design software I use separates recordings into three buckets; the engineers note that the boundaries among the three buckets is not rigid:

- deterministic events or stable sinusoidal components of the sound,

- transient events or brief noisy bursts of energy, and the

- remaining stochastic background or din.

http://soundlab.cs.princeton.edu/publications/taps_icmc2006.pdf

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738748
05/22/18 09:05 PM
05/22/18 09:05 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
I've learned two important things over the last 24hours.

1. I don't have to be disappointed with every virtual piano purchase.
2. I need a new computer.

I purchased the VSL CFX standard version last night and even though I'm not at home on my MP11SE with good studio monitors (I'm at work with a yamaha P45 and cheap monitors) I still really like the sound. Unfortunately, my dated (mid 2012) MacBook air can't handle the load. I get some clipping depending on how many mics I'm running. So a new computer is on the horizon. I think I might upgrade to the full version also for the close 2 and mid 2 option. I just don't have the hard drive space on my little MacBook air to do it right now. Another reason for a new computer (when I can afford it).

I have a couple question for you pros. I'm not that experienced with virtual instruments. This is my third one and the first two I didn't really care for.

1. I've never used a USB license before. From what I understand if lose this or it breaks, that's the end of my library. What are my options if I lose it or it breaks. Can I just buy another one and reuse the activation code I received with my VSL CFX purchase? Can the same activation code be used on two different USB devices (to have a backup stored away)?

2. It might be a few months (or longer) before I can buy a new computer. Besides playing with he mics and increasing the preload in settings (I've bumped it up to 16384 samples, that's all my computer can handle), is there anything else I can do to minimize the clipping? One mic = no clipping, two mics = a little clipping, three or more mics = is doable but with regular clipping.

3. I've noticed that even though it might clip some when I play, if I record what I'm playing in garageband (yes, VSL CFX works in grageband, thumb yippie) when I save what I recorded to disk as an mp3 (from midi) it plays back as an mp3 with no clipping. I'm curious why that is. Thank you to whoever answers these questions. I really do appreciate it.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/22/18 09:12 PM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738754
05/22/18 09:23 PM
05/22/18 09:23 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline
PA
VSL's usb licenser policy is one of the reasons I don't buy their stuff.. It's pretty brutal. They do have some unique libraries I want, but so far I have not gone for them.

Last I read their policy is this:

If your USB dongle breaks within the 2 year warranty period, if it's been damaged externally you pay for a new dongle, and a transfer fee (20 euro each license, min 30 euros fee).
If your USB dongle is lost, or breaks outside warranty period, you can rebuy your libraries from VSL for 50% off the full price, and pay for a new dongle.

I've been told they recommend you buy a new dongle every 2 years, and transfer your licenses to it.

The more you buy from them the more painful an accident or lost dongle gets. Some people have bought their entire orchestra.. and lost it.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738755
05/22/18 09:29 PM
05/22/18 09:29 PM
PA
puremusic Offline
puremusic  Offline
PA
I've learned two important things over the last 24hours.

2. It might be a few months (or longer) before I can buy a new computer. Besides playing with he mics and increasing the preload in settings (I've bumped it up to 16384 samples, that's all my computer can handle), is there anything else I can do to minimize the clipping? One mic = no clipping, two mics = a little clipping, three or more mics = is doable but with regular clipping.

What audio interface are you using? It might be a better investment to upgrade that, hard to say though, I don't know what specs your Mac has. You should also make sure your Mac is running full power rather than any power saver modes when playing.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738757
05/22/18 09:38 PM
05/22/18 09:38 PM
D
dbudde Offline
dbudde  Offline
D
Re: activation codes. An activation code can only be used once. You get one activation for a single key. It can be moved from one key to another. So don't ever delete that activation. Read the instructions carefully about how to install and move an activation.

Re: recording with no clipping. Usually (and I believe this applies to Garageband) exporting to mp3 takes as long as necessary for the CPU to compute the result, so you always get a good result. Live playing clips if your CPU cannot keep up in real time. You can solve some problems by increasing your buffer size. But then you trade off latency for better sound, and eventually too much latency is going to drive you nuts trying to perform. Unfortunately, Garageband no longer allows one to adjust the buffer size. You'll need a different sequencer if you want to adjust buffer size.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: dbudde] #2738792
05/22/18 11:55 PM
05/22/18 11:55 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Originally Posted by puremusic
If your USB dongle breaks within the 2 year warranty period, if it's been damaged externally you pay for a new dongle, and a transfer fee (20 euro each license, min 30 euros fee).
If your USB dongle is lost, or breaks outside warranty period, you can rebuy your libraries from VSL for 50% off the full price, and pay for a new dongle.

I've been told they recommend you buy a new dongle every 2 years, and transfer your licenses to it.

That actually seems pretty reasonable to me. However, I didn't buy their (Vienna Key) dongle. I bought a Stienberg elicenser. I wonder if the two year warranty you speak of still applies. I'll have to email VSL and find out. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by puremusic

What audio interface are you using? It might be a better investment to upgrade that, hard to say though, I don't know what specs your Mac has. You should also make sure your Mac is running full power rather than any power saver modes when playing.

I'm using Grageband to host the Synchron Piano Player that runs the VSL CFX samples (I think I said that right. cool) My mac is a 2012 MacBook air, i7 2 GHz, 8 GB ram, and 251 GB SSD. It handles most of the music I play because I'm not an advanced player. I think my mac is optimized to allocate resources where it's needed, but I'm not 100 percent confident about that. I'll try to look into that more. Thanks for the help.

Re: activation codes. An activation code can only be used once. You get one activation for a single key. It can be moved from one key to another. So don't ever delete that activation. Read the instructions carefully about how to install and move an activation.

So there is no way to have a spare backup ready to go in case of damage? I don't like that. It goes against my obsessive nature. That's another question for VSL.

Re: recording with no clipping. Usually (and I believe this applies to Garageband) exporting to mp3 takes as long as necessary for the CPU to compute the result, so you always get a good result. Live playing clips if your CPU cannot keep up in real time. You can solve some problems by increasing your buffer size. But then you trade off latency for better sound, and eventually too much latency is going to drive you nuts trying to perform. Unfortunately, Garageband no longer allows one to adjust the buffer size. You'll need a different sequencer if you want to adjust buffer size.

Thank you. That make sense. Also, I was looking for a buffer feature in Garageband/Synchron piano plugin, but I could't find it. I know with the other two I have (pianoteq and truekeys) I can adjust the buffer size and that helps. I guess there is not much I can do with the VSL CFX except be judicious with my mixer selection and live with some clipping until I can upgrade my machine. On the VSL website, under system requirements for CFX it says, SSD and 8 GB of ram (16 GB is recommended.) Maybe the newer machines with 8GB of ram can handle it and my machine is just too old. I guess I better start saving. Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/23/18 12:01 AM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738799
05/23/18 12:55 AM
05/23/18 12:55 AM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
My mac is a 2012 MacBook air, i7 2 GHz, 8 GB ram, and 251 GB SSD. It handles most of the music I play because I'm not an advanced player. . . Maybe the newer machines with 8GB of ram can handle it and my machine is just too old. I guess I better start saving.

Your system is not so old. 8GB with the good SSDs supplied by Apple should be fine. I would not start thinking about a new laptop just yet. Save the cash for other stuff if possible.

As a few have noted, look to reduce sample size & increase buffer size a bit. Try the free tweaks first.

An inexpensive-used interface might help. Your MacBook Pro also has a Thunderbolt 1 port so that provides you a few speedy interface options (not quite sure if that will work with TB2 interfaces. There are essentially zero TB3 interfaces available so that is not an issue).

If none of that works, you can get a cheap off-lease Dell or HP desktop for a few hundred dollars from eBay for your VIs and keep your Macbook Air humming along. A few guys here have recommendations for cheap desktops that work well for music https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/

FYI - I have some experience here. My 2007 MacBook Pro was just barely too old for Garritan CFX and PianoTeq; it had 4GB ram and a SSD that was much slower than yours is. It worked but required very high buffers. I still use that 2007 laptop a lot for "productivity and fun" because the keyboard is fantastic and it the laptop runs fine.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: newer player] #2738813
05/23/18 02:12 AM
05/23/18 02:12 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Offline
David B  Offline
D
The Sierras
Originally Posted by newer player

Your system is not so old. 8GB with the good SSDs supplied by Apple should be fine. I would not start thinking about a new laptop just yet. Save the cash for other stuff if possible.

As a few have noted, look to reduce sample size & increase buffer size a bit. Try the free tweaks first.

Good news. This discussion encouraged me to run VSL CFX in MainStage (which has buffer adjustability) 128 eliminates all clipping, but there is some perceivable latency, (although I believe it's negligible for me), 64 has very little clipping (depending on what I'm playing and how many mics I'm running) and when I record in MainStage (Aiff or Wave, etc) MainStage doesn't record the clipping. That's cool.

However, I noticed in MainStage and in Grageband, my fan is constantly running on high. I'm not sure how long this little laptop can keep this up, but for now, I'm all set. Thanks everybody for the help.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 05/23/18 02:14 AM.

Kawai MP-11SE
Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738862
05/23/18 08:56 AM
05/23/18 08:56 AM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Good news. This discussion encouraged me to run VSL CFX in MainStage (which has buffer adjustability) 128 eliminates all clipping, but there is some perceivable latency, (although I believe it's negligible for me), 64 has very little clipping (depending on what I'm playing and how many mics I'm running)

Good. A lot of people here play their VIs with a buffer of 128. There is a natural latency with a piano and a larger room so you are hearing some of that.

You can try reducing the sample rate whilst at a buffer of 128 if you want to lower latency further.

However, I noticed in MainStage and in Grageband, my fan is constantly running on high. I'm not sure how long this little laptop can keep this up, but for now, I'm all set.

You can raise the back of the laptop off your desk with a highligher, for example, and the laptop will run a bit cooler. Alternatively, you could buy a small fanned cooling pad and put that under the laptop.

If that does not work those c.2012 Apple laptops probably can benefit from a better application of thermal grease between the CPU and heatsink. That is something a local IT shop can probably do in an hour. The problem is the grease ages & the factories applied way too much. This made my MacBook Pros (2007 & 2011) run very quietly and much cooler - gave them a new lease on life.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Heat+Sink+Replacement/10953

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: David B] #2738918
05/23/18 11:49 AM
05/23/18 11:49 AM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
uk south
... my fan is constantly running on high. I'm not sure how long this little laptop can keep this up, but for now, I'm all set. Thanks everybody for the help.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I did a youtube search for my laptop's model number and found a detailed disassembly video. I'll admit I was nervous that something might go wrong but it was less difficult than expected and took less than an hour. After applying a new blob of thermal paste to the cpu and - more importantly - cleaning away what was almost a carpet of accumulated dust between the fan and the outlet grill, the machine was as silent as new again.
Then, only a couple of months ago, the fan was screaming away yet again so I just blew hard a few times into the fan outlet, choked on the ensuing dust cloud and - again - it's silent. Worth a try if you haven't already.

Re: New incoming Yamaha CFX vst from VSL [Re: slobajudge] #2738924
05/23/18 12:34 PM
05/23/18 12:34 PM
K
karvala Offline
500 Post Club Member
karvala  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Nothing wrong with cleaning laptop fans and reattaching with new thermal paste for sure (other than the small risk of things going wrong), but I would add that this instrument will tax the CPU and all CPUs will intentionally increase their fan speed to handle it. In some laptops that is always going to be audible.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do antiques lose crown?
by edferris. 09/25/18 08:05 PM
Asian Stencils -- How to Pierce the secrecy?
by JohnSprung. 09/25/18 06:50 PM
Gospel Chords in F#
by dbowensmusic. 09/25/18 06:11 PM
AVANT GRAND N3X pros and cons
by Karl Watson. 09/25/18 06:00 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,485
Posts2,747,773
Members91,093
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission