2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (Granyala, Gene Nelson, CyberGene, Gretel, ContentPiano, earlofmar, gwing, CosminX, 4 invisible), 262 guests, and 412 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic #2731740 04/25/18 04:29 PM
M
McBuster Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Are there any high(er) end digitals that can produce a better sound than a low(er) end acoustic?

Not actions. Not looks. Not feel. Just the resulting sound.

Both are new. Played by the same experienced player.

Thoughts?

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731745 04/25/18 04:46 PM
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If by low end acoustic you mean a cheapish upright, then I'd have thought virtually all mid range (and above) DPs produced in the last 10 to 20 years would be better in sound, feel and expression. The acoustic would win out on atmospherics though.

In order to be better in terms of touch or resultant sound than even a mid range DP, you'd have to get an upright of very highest build and design quality or a decent second hand grand, or better.

Last edited by toddy; 04/25/18 04:49 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731747 04/25/18 04:52 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
This is a really difficult question to answer. "Better sound" as in, fooling a blindfolded player that they are sitting in front of an acoustic? That's pretty hard for a digital (though I've had to double check on a few high quality silent pianos before).

Sounding better against a mic'd and recorded acoustic to a blindfolded listener? Oftentimes easy for a DP, depending on the piece being played.

But even a cheap dp could "sound better" than an old, worn out ragtime upright, depending on what you want...

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731749 04/25/18 05:05 PM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by McBuster
Are there any high(er) end digitals that can produce a better sound than a low(er) end acoustic?

Thoughts?

It really depends on personal taste. I find the sound of many cheap low end new uprights so uninspiring (no matter the "fabulous" authentic resonances everybody is so enamored with), that I would indeed prefer even the CA97 I had before, not to speak of the NV10. Maybe that would even be the case with cheap low end new grands, but I can't really tell, since I never played any of those. But I understand that many wouldn't share that opinion. So - a matter of taste.
A quality new upright, or a quality low end new grand, would be a different thing for me though...

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731754 04/25/18 05:32 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What exactly is a low-end acoustic? Please specify.

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731761 04/25/18 05:55 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B

I can't vouch for the 'experienced player' wink , but I can say that I prefer my digital to the little Yamaha upright that was my childhood piano in my home country, even allowing for the fact that I can play slightly better now than I could then, and the fact that I can't make a direct comparison any more because though that piano is still there in my parents' home, it is now totally unplayable, with many keys sticking or not sounding and of course completely out of tune. It probably hasn't been regulated & tuned since I was a teenager and still living at home, which was about a century ago, give or take a few score years and seven (with apologies to Abe). The cabinet still looks good (no scratches), so it's still a decent piece of furniture. Though I don't know what lives in it now - no-one has lifted the lid since the last piano technician.........

That upright's tone was tinny and 'piercing', and barely changed from pp to ff other than become more strident, whereas with my digital, I can get everything from a true sotto voce (even without using the una corda pedal) to a bombastic and really shattering ffff, which is what you also get when you thump a high-end acoustic grand's keys with your fist with all your might.
(As one does).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731788 04/25/18 07:28 PM
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Perhaps you have a particular use/purpose in mind?

I can envision situations where a crummy upright would be better than the latest high-end DP, and other cases where it's clearly the other way 'round.

Can you elaborate a bit on the situation?

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: MacMacMac] #2731807 04/25/18 08:52 PM
M
McBuster Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Low End Acoustic

Under $15,000us

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: OneWatt] #2731809 04/25/18 08:59 PM
M
McBuster Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Elaborate

A friend thinks an acoustic will always be better than any digital. I thought I would ask you folks. My opinion is, a high end digital, Kawai CA9x for example, should match or exceed an acoustic under $15,000. Based totally on sound. Don’t read anything more into the question than that.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731810 04/25/18 09:00 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That price limit is going to include some fairly high-end used or mid-level or better new verticals 48” and taller. Those pianos can actually sound better than small grand pianos...and better than most digitals, through speakers.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731811 04/25/18 09:02 PM
MacMacMac Offline
This question has been raised before.

And each time the responses included "I have (or had) a beat up, out-of-tune acoustic, and my pristine digital is better."
Can we reach any meaningful conclusion from that?
I think not ... because I could add that I saw a wrecked Maserati a few years ago. My humble Toyota is better than that wrecked Maserati. How's that for meaningful? (Not.)

I think the question lacks definition. (Which low-end acoustic piano? Which digital piano?)
So I think it's all quite pointless.

EDIT: I see that more posts have been added before I clicked Submit.
So ... If the low-end is an under-$15000 upright ... then no digital can match that.
I once had a used 50" Kawai upright. Built in 1981. Mine in 1996.
When new it would have retailed at around $9000-ish. No digital can match that upright (so long as it's in tune).

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731814 04/25/18 09:16 PM
MacMacMac Offline
IMO ... most, but not all, acoustics will be better.
A friend thinks an acoustic will always be better than any digital

I've not tried the CA98. But I tried a CA97 about a year ago ...
I thought I would ask you folks. My opinion is, a high end digital, Kawai CA9x for example, should match or exceed an acoustic under $15,000. Based totally on sound. Don’t read anything more into the question than that.
... and an upright sounds better. The CA97 had a boxy sound. I was not impressed.

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731816 04/25/18 09:18 PM
D
Deck Offline
D
Better than most uprights for sure.

I have the feeling than acoustic are more impacted by the acoustic of the room itself than DP.

I have a CA78 and quite happy with it but I did play last week on a new relatively cheap Chinese Grand 6.6ft, just tuned, and honestly I liked it very much ;-).

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731817 04/25/18 09:27 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
My opinion is, a high end digital, Kawai CA9x for example, should match or exceed an acoustic under $15,000. Based totally on sound. Don’t read anything more into the question than that.

That's far too much for a low-end acoustic like the one my parents bought new. You'll get a decent new upright for $15000 which will beat almost all digitals for sound quality.

I'm talking a very basic spinet-sized vertical......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731821 04/25/18 10:08 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
McBuster, I think generally that you may be underestimating the sonic qualities of acoustic pianos that make them such revered instruments. It's true that $15k trends closer to the budget end of new acoustics, especially when considering that the extreme higher end pianos go for 6-7 figures, but any acoustic in good condition and maintenance will have audio qualities and interactions between the strings, soundboard, cabinet, etc., that are extremely complex and which digitals of any cost struggle (and generally fail) to reproduce. Only when you start handicapping the acoustics (wear, condition/maintenance, etc.) or focusing on specific traits ("clarity of sound," "similarity in tone" to a particular reference instrument, bass reproduction, etc.) can you start teasing out areas where a digital might pull ahead.

With all that said, digitals today are actually quite good, and are more than good enough for a huge number of pianists (likely a majority, but that's just a guess), particularly when weighed against the drawbacks of acoustics (cost, size, weight, tuning/maintenance, loudness, etc.). Even very advanced pianists use digitals regularly today, and not all of them gravitate towards the newest/highest-end digitals either.

So regardless of which is "better," each has its place.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731828 04/25/18 10:42 PM
Zilthy Offline
Personally, I think the high end digitals sound (and sound alone) better than most of the cheaper uprights and even baby grands. To a point. Here are some of my thoughts on it (Not saying right or wrong, just thoughts and observations)

With a good sample set or modeling, most people are not going to be able to tell if it's digital or acoustic.

Sounding good or not, I think digitals are more prone to sonic anomalies than acoustics depending on room acoustics, positioning, and placement of the listener. Speakers are very directional, vs a vibrating string. As good as the sound may be from a digital, it is going to be at the mercy of physics and what speakers can actually be produce.

That being said, to me, in a good position, digitals sound better than acoustics more consistently than the cheaper acoustics do. Because they are sampled and modeled after the best of the best. And that is what they reproduce. Exactly. Each and every time. Not saying that acoustics are bad, but they have their own variations and anomalies going on. There is a lot of physical stuff going on there, and unfortunately, there is quite often, not enough of the 'right stuff' happening there.

Those are my thoughts on sound in a live situation. In a recording situation, digital is going to win 90% of the time. Digital: plug in. Play. Get great sound. Acoustic: position mics. set levels. have great sounding room. hope cat doesn't meow.

Anyway, there are my thoughts on pure sound.

I do wonder though, without feel, is there any purpose?

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731845 04/26/18 01:04 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just the resulting sound. ... Both are new. Played by the same experienced player.

I'd ask in more specific terms:
- Does a sampled Steinway Grand D sound better than an entry level acoustic upright?
- Does a modeled Steinway Grand D sound better than an entry level acoustic upright?

And what happens when the acoustic upright is then mic'd thru speakers to an audience?

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: Groove On] #2731857 04/26/18 01:41 AM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On

And what happens when you mic the acoustic thru speakers to an audience?

Back in the sixties/seventies, the organ was king. Pubs had pianos; they were mostly out of tune and you had to shove a mic down the back and hope for the best, since you were in competition from the drummer, and everyone else with mic'd up gear.

It was horrible.

But once in a while you discovered a gem of a piano. Such was the score down The "Queens" at the Northern English town I lived in; the piano was an indeterminate overstrung with neither back nor front, It had long keys and a wonderful tone; a real and rare pleasure to play though there was nowhere to place one's music, or beer, or cigarette.

A portable organ helped enormously, later on. But in those times they were unreliable, as were the leads that connected them! Happy days . . . before the disco revolution.

But regarding modern times; I ve always preferred the smaller upright since it's tone is usually even, and they don't rattle so much, or do your ears in like the bigger ones such as the U series.
Kawai K200 upwards (they all sound very similar) seem very nice for the price; in close proximity to a Steinway upright (lovely condition) they held their own, almost.
A GL10 5 foot grand (it seemed bigger) sounded very nice too with less extraneous noise, but very loud.

I only have this re-appreciation of the acoustic since playing my Roland, and to a lesser degree, Pianoteq through it. Better than all was the sound of my old DGX 630 through those little speakers which served it so well in the small room I used; but those days are over; things have moved onwards but not always upwards!

Just a few thoughts from a rambling ole fart . . . . . !

Last edited by peterws; 04/26/18 01:45 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731869 04/26/18 02:45 AM
R
redfish1901 Offline
R
Since you mention 15k USD, relatively recently I have played the Yamaha N3X digital (15-16K USD) and also the Hailun 178 grand piano (15-16KUSD), at different dealers.

N3X had the best sound I've ever heard from a digital. But Hailun sounds waaay better.

After 3-6 months the digital will sound exactly the same. The acoustic would have gone slightly out of tune and will have more "character".

Re: Qstn: Digital Piano Sound vs Acoustic [Re: McBuster] #2731870 04/26/18 02:51 AM
Lillith Offline
What I like about digitals is that you can turn them down.
Real pianos are way too loud for me and I'd hate to have to play one.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?
Roland FP30 in white
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ellis Marsalis RIP
by dogperson - 04/02/20 03:33 AM
Damper and other issues
by D.P. - 04/01/20 11:35 PM
Open Studio Jazz classes are on sale
by newer player - 04/01/20 10:36 PM
Open Studio Jazz_classes on sale
by newer player - 04/01/20 10:35 PM
Verdigris installation kit
by TimM_980 - 04/01/20 10:27 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,857
Posts2,941,152
Members96,443
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission