Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
109 registered members (Alexander Borro, Alex C, almo82, agent8698, AlphaBravoCharlie, Agent88, anotherscott, all18piano, 18 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2742843
06/07/18 02:08 PM
06/07/18 02:08 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

Thanks so much for your reply! You are right, I have been looking at so many entry level grands and the 5'0 is surprisingly quite lacking compared to their 5'5 and above brothers. I never thought a few measly inches could make such a difference in sound.

Your Boston 163 has a beautiful sound. Did you find it stayed the same in the showroom and in your house? Did you have it tuned and voiced? I was told that I could voice a Kawai to sound more similar to a Boston after purchase, which is why I am focusing more on the action. Did you find the Boston action to be more sensitive than the Kawai?

And you are right, I couldn't care less about the carbon whatever. The dealers went through some trouble showing me the wood and carbon parts but I didn't retain any of it.

Unfortunately, my budget is very small. I am fully aware that the GX and 163 is far superior, but my pursestrings only afford me a GL10 equivalent. Right now I am still contemplating forking over an extra $4-5k for a GL20, and even that is a big leap for me. Which is why my piano search is so excruciating. I have champagne tastes on a beer budget!

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2742845
06/07/18 02:17 PM
06/07/18 02:17 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by schinl
[...]
Your Boston 163 has a beautiful sound. Did you find it stayed the same in the showroom and in your house? Did you have it tuned and voiced? I was told that I could voice a Kawai to sound more similar to a Boston after purchase, which is why I am focusing more on the action. Did you find the Boston action to be more sensitive than the Kawai?

[...]

From what I have heard and read - and I'm no expert, so keep that in mind - one should never buy a piano in the hopes that "it can be made to sound like [fill in the blank]. A piano can be voiced, yes, but optimally to its own characteristics and not to the tonal characteristics of another piano, let alone to that of another make.

Buy a piano that you like for what it is, not one that you think you will like (or maybe you won't) after it is voiced.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2742852
06/07/18 03:03 PM
06/07/18 03:03 PM
USA
G
ghostwind Offline
ghostwind  Offline
G

USA
Originally Posted by schinl
Thanks so much for your reply! You are right, I have been looking at so many entry level grands and the 5'0 is surprisingly quite lacking compared to their 5'5 and above brothers. I never thought a few measly inches could make such a difference in sound.

And you are right, I couldn't care less about the carbon whatever. The dealers went through some trouble showing me the wood and carbon parts but I didn't retain any of it.

Unfortunately, my budget is very small. I am fully aware that the GX and 163 is far superior, but my pursestrings only afford me a GL10 equivalent. Right now I am still contemplating forking over an extra $4-5k for a GL20, and even that is a big leap for me. Which is why my piano search is so excruciating. I have champagne tastes on a beer budget!

Yeah, every inch counts smile The sound of my piano was pretty similar when in my house compared to the showroom (except it's louder in my smaller room), but that's because the acoustics/environment were similar (i.e. very quiet rooms). Most times that's not the case, and you will need to modify your living space to either be more or less reflective as you prefer, but the color should be the same. When in the showroom, I found it best to play the pianos with the lids down and folded open, and the music desks removed (or down). This reduced the effects of the showroom's acoustics.

I will have it tuned next week. I'm OK with the voicing as it is. I may decide to have it voiced in 6months or a year, once it opens up and settles in more. I couldn't agree more with what Bruce said above. Dealers will say this piano can be made to sound like this and that, but that's mostly selling points IMO. Each piano will sound a bit different, never mind trying to match a Kawai to a Boston or whatever. So I wouldn't go by that at all.

I would actually focus more on the sound than the action, unless you find the action not to your liking and clearly prefer one over the other. In my case, I preferred both the sound and action of the Bostons over the Kawais, despite Kawai dealers insisting that the Kawai action is "superior". They will tell you they are made in the same factory, by the same people, Boston is overpriced with lesser action, blah, blah. In the end, they DO sound and feel different, as they should. The funny thing is that Boston salespeople never talked about matching a Kawai, it was always the other way around. But yeah, all that sales talk aside, I personally found the Kawai action heavier and less to my liking for reasons I don't even know or can't put in words. I felt I had to dig more into the keys to get the same sound. And the sound, yes, the Bostons had more sustain and color IMO.

The Kawai is defiantly more "bang for the buck" when buying new, and some dealers can discount a lot. I remember the GL30 was around $18k new and the GX-1 $20K new. GL20 probably $15k new. I would definitely get at least the GL20. If not, continue to look for used. Some great pianos out there used.

2017 Boston GP-163 PE II
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2742862
06/07/18 04:20 PM
06/07/18 04:20 PM
North of Los Angeles
L
Learux Online content
Learux  Online Content
L

North of Los Angeles
I am dealing with the same Dilemma. To make it easier on myself I have to decide first first whether I want an upright or grand. It seems impossible to make a choice otherwise.

Good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: ghostwind] #2742866
06/07/18 04:35 PM
06/07/18 04:35 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by ghostwind
When in the showroom, I found it best to play the pianos with the lids down and folded open, and the music desks removed (or down).
I think it makes at least as much sense to play the pianos with the lid adjusted the way you will play the piano in your home.

In my case, I preferred both the sound and action of the Bostons over the Kawais, despite Kawai dealers insisting that the Kawai action is "superior". They will tell you they are made in the same factory, by the same people, Boston is overpriced with lesser action, blah, blah. In the end, they DO sound and feel different, as they should. The funny thing is that Boston salespeople never talked about matching a Kawai, it was always the other way around.
It's not really funny or unexpected. It's because Kawai dealers want you to think you are getting a Steinway-like piano and because Boston dealers don't want you to think you're getting a Kawai-like piano(they also want to emphasize the Steinway connection).

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: pianoloverus] #2742889
06/07/18 07:16 PM
06/07/18 07:16 PM
USA
G
ghostwind Offline
ghostwind  Offline
G

USA
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
When in the showroom, I found it best to play the pianos with the lids down and folded open, and the music desks removed (or down).
I think it makes at least as much sense to play the pianos with the lid adjusted the way you will play the piano in your home.

Yes, play with the lid in all positions, of course, but again, to rule out room acoustics as much as possible, playing the way I was describing it is the best way IMO to get a true impression of the piano's sound in a large showroom.

It's not really funny or unexpected. It's because Kawai dealers want you to think you are getting a Steinway-like piano and because Boston dealers don't want you to think you're getting a Kawai-like piano(they also want to emphasize the Steinway connection).

Yes, this is true. But back to my original post, Kawai salespeople spoke about the instrument's build quality, the ABS action and humidity changes, and stuff like this. Never a word about sound, color, etc. Found that very telling. And yet they are wonderful instruments, with their own sound and touch that many prefer. I guess everyone markets what they think will best sell their instruments. Still I would hear this sales talk to other customers while playing in the showroom, and they were not very interested as well. People I think primarily care about sound and touch. Not about material science smile Anyway, they were all nice and friendly people, and I do like the Kawais. I just preferred the Boston in my case.

One thing that's interesting, is why would Kawai, a proud family business, build a piano that was better than theirs, unless (contrary to what you say - and which I agree with) they don't think it's better, which goes back to my point. Sure they are getting paid by Steinway to do this, but it's a bit strange to me.

2017 Boston GP-163 PE II
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: ghostwind] #2742902
06/07/18 08:34 PM
06/07/18 08:34 PM
New York City

New York City
One thing that's interesting, is why would Kawai, a proud family business, build a piano that was better than theirs, unless (contrary to what you say - and which I agree with) they don't think it's better, which goes back to my point. Sure they are getting paid by Steinway to do this, but it's a bit strange to me.

1. You're assuming that your personal preference about Boston being better is how most think and that's not the case.
2. My guess is that Kawai dealers mostly bring up Boston pianos only if a customer mentions it. If they bring it up independently it's probably because of Boston's Steinway connection.
3. Despite the internet, many buyers are may not be familiar with Boston so it's not necessarily major competition for Kawai or at least not any more than other makes in a similar price range.

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: pianoloverus] #2742905
06/07/18 08:45 PM
06/07/18 08:45 PM
USA
G
ghostwind Offline
ghostwind  Offline
G

USA

1. You're assuming that your personal preference about Boston being better is how most think and that's not the case.
2. My guess is that Kawai dealers mostly bring up Boston pianos only if a customer mentions it. If they bring it up independently it's probably because of Boston's Steinway connection.
3. Despite the internet, many buyers are may not be familiar with Boston so it's not necessarily major competition for Kawai or at least not any more than other makes in a similar price range.

No, I'm not assuming that at all - I said as much. But again, back to my main point, it's interesting and telling how the Kawai dealers (at least the 2 I've met) never spoke about sound, but about technical things. That to me tells me that Kawai either knows they are not as good and pushes the technology aspect, or that they think that's the best way to sell their pianos. Which is fine, but for me sound is the main thing. I would think for everyone that would also hold true.

2017 Boston GP-163 PE II
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: ghostwind] #2742908
06/07/18 09:13 PM
06/07/18 09:13 PM
New York City

New York City
But again, back to my main point, it's interesting and telling how the Kawai dealers (at least the 2 I've met) never spoke about sound, but about technical things. That to me tells me that Kawai either knows they are not as good and pushes the technology aspect, or that they think that's the best way to sell their pianos. Which is fine, but for me sound is the main thing. I would think for everyone that would also hold true.
For some, touch is more important than sound.

I certainly don't think Kawai pushes their action because they think their sound is not good. I think that's just your personal preference for the Boston sound showing. Sound preference is personal but the materials Kawai uses in it's action are fairly unique. I think the only other maker that uses a non wood action is Mason Hamlin in its WNG action.

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: pianoloverus] #2742911
06/07/18 09:59 PM
06/07/18 09:59 PM
USA
G
ghostwind Offline
ghostwind  Offline
G

USA
But again, back to my main point, it's interesting and telling how the Kawai dealers (at least the 2 I've met) never spoke about sound, but about technical things. That to me tells me that Kawai either knows they are not as good and pushes the technology aspect, or that they think that's the best way to sell their pianos. Which is fine, but for me sound is the main thing. I would think for everyone that would also hold true.
For some, touch is more important than sound.

I certainly don't think Kawai pushes their action because they think their sound is not good. I think that's just your personal preference for the Boston sound showing. Sound preference is personal but the materials Kawai uses in it's action are fairly unique. I think the only other maker that uses a non wood action is Mason Hamlin in its WNG action.

No, it has nothing to do with my personal preference! As I've repeated several times, I was just surprised none of the Kawai dealers spoke about sound, period! Yamaha dealers did, Boston dealers did, others did. Kawai spoke about their action, build quality, etc. And I found that interesting and telling. That's all. If as you say some care more about touch than sound, then that will be important perhaps. Still, what musician doesn't care about sound primarily? This is also quite strange to think about...

Their action is definitely unique and makes sense in many ways. But it was not a deciding factor for me consciously. In other words I preferred the Boston and Yamaha actions, but not because I thought "it's wood and not ABS or whatever" or vice versa. Yes M&H also use non wood. Those pianos have a wonderful sound and quite a different feel from the Kawai action. But very $$$$ smile

2017 Boston GP-163 PE II
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: pianoloverus] #2742979
06/08/18 08:33 AM
06/08/18 08:33 AM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G

When I worked for Maytag back before it was owned by Whirlpool in their Cooking Products Division, we designed and manufactured products for Kenmore and other private labels. We also stamped some other "major manufacturers" (the direct competitions) brand names on product and shipped to their distribution centers. A sale is a sale in the business world for the parent company. In that industry (and many others) it's hard to tell who actually produced a product and what you're getting. Maytag owned 2 plants that produced washers and dryers. Both plants stamped the same brand names on the units, but the 2 plants produced very different lines of machines at very distinct quality levels. Unless the consumer was really educated and knew what to look for, it was really hard to tell the differences and what they were purchasing.

My mother used to work for a textile factory that produced women's clothing for K-Mart, Wal-Mart, JC Penney, Belk, etc. They had stricter quality standards for the JC Penney and Belk products and they were periodically inspected by their representatives to insure quality, but it all came out of the same factory.

To a degree, this is the relationship between Kawai and Steinway. The same can be said for other piano companies that are building pianos for competitors. Kawai has the manufacturing capacity to build the Steinway-designed Boston pianos, and as long as they can sell the pianos to Steinway for a profit ad increase the bottom line, Kawai is happy to play the game, and it helps Kawai maintain manufacturing economy-of-scale reducing their overhead costs. The relationship gives Steinway a line of pianos to compete outside the top-tier / luxury piano market. It's the same with the Essex line and Pearl River. All parties at the parent company level win as long as the pianos sell. As long as the general public is unaware of the relationships all is good. And there are marked design differences between Boston and Kawai pianos and Pearl River and Essex pianos.

However, a local, independently-owned Kawai dealer will never mention a Boston piano or they will treat them as "the competition" pointing out the sound and design differences in a negative way. Why? Because the sale of a Boston does not increase the bottom line of the local Kawai dealer.

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: GC13] #2742981
06/08/18 08:44 AM
06/08/18 08:44 AM
USA
G
ghostwind Offline
ghostwind  Offline
G

USA
Originally Posted by GC13

When I worked for Maytag back before it was owned by Whirlpool in their Cooking Products Division, we designed and manufactured products for Kenmore and other private labels. We also stamped some other "major manufacturers" (the direct competitions) brand names on product and shipped to their distribution centers. A sale is a sale in the business world for the parent company. In that industry (and many others) it's hard to tell who actually produced a product and what you're getting. Maytag owned 2 plants that produced washers and dryers. Both plants stamped the same brand names on the units, but the 2 plants produced very different lines of machines at very distinct quality levels. Unless the consumer was really educated and knew what to look for, it was really hard to tell the differences and what they were purchasing.

My mother used to work for a textile factory that produced women's clothing for K-Mart, Wal-Mart, JC Penney, Belk, etc. They had stricter quality standards for the JC Penney and Belk products and they were periodically inspected by their representatives to insure quality, but it all came out of the same factory.

To a degree, this is the relationship between Kawai and Steinway. The same can be said for other piano companies that are building pianos for competitors. Kawai has the manufacturing capacity to build the Steinway-designed Boston pianos, and as long as they can sell the pianos to Steinway for a profit ad increase the bottom line, Kawai is happy to play the game, and it helps Kawai maintain manufacturing economy-of-scale reducing their overhead costs. The relationship gives Steinway a line of pianos to compete outside the top-tier / luxury piano market. It's the same with the Essex line and Pearl River. All parties at the parent company level win as long as the pianos sell. As long as the general public is unaware of the relationships all is good. And there are marked design differences between Boston and Kawai pianos and Pearl River and Essex pianos.

However, a local, independently-owned Kawai dealer will never mention a Boston piano or they will treat them as "the competition" pointing out the sound and design differences in a negative way. Why? Because the sale of a Boston does not increase the bottom line of the local Kawai dealer.

Yeah, this is clearly the case. I think the key as always, as you point out, is that most people do not know the relationship at all. People here on Piano World know, people really into pianos may know, but the majority of the piano buying public probably has no idea. From all I've read and heard about Kawai (being a smaller player, proud family business, etc.) I was a tad intrigued, that's all. But business is business, and if Steinway is helping them in any way, then more power to them. They do a heck of a job in terms of build quality on both Boston and Kawai pianos. I know Steinway first approached Yamaha back in the early 90s to build the Bostons, but they were turned down from what I heard. Yamaha was large enough to not need the money I suppose, and Kawai being smaller took them up on their offer.

It probably is the same with Pearl River and Essex, though Pearl River is not a small, proud, family business. They are just business.

2017 Boston GP-163 PE II
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2743033
06/08/18 12:29 PM
06/08/18 12:29 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

I am thoroughly enjoying your conversations, thank you so much. I am also learning a lot about the relationship between Boston/Kawai. Personally, as a beginner/intermediate, action is most important to me, as I still have to deal with learning notes and trying to express color through my playing. My ear isn't sufficiently trained enough to be able to make it a priority, but of course I can tell the difference between a deep warm Kawai and brighter Yamaha. But once variables such as lid opened or closed, big or small rooms come in, I get confused. Hence my preference to buy for action. After all, it is only my first acoustic piano. Maybe 15-20 years in the future, I will have advanced enough to be able to buy for sound.

I have news, I found a Mason Hamlin model A 5'9 grand on Craigslist for $5500. It is built in 1972, the pictures look fine, and owned by a RPT. I am a little suspicious at the price, something must be wrong with it. But I am still going to go look at it tomorrow with a pianist friend and see what is there to see. Please give me any tips on how to evaluate if it is a good deal? Is it rude to ask if I can ask another RPT to take a look at it?

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2743036
06/08/18 12:36 PM
06/08/18 12:36 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

Here are some pictures of it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2743037
06/08/18 12:38 PM
06/08/18 12:38 PM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G

Me and my videos... here's a good one by Robert Estrin at Living Pianos on the subject. I used this when evaluating mine for purchase. I don't think it would be rude to have another technician evaluate it. That is a low price, and if he has nothing to hide I don't think he'd mind another technician taking a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2e3kPzP5kU

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2743887
06/12/18 12:51 PM
06/12/18 12:51 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

Thanks GC13. That was very a helpful video. I am going to Pierre's and Ahn's piano store in California next month, and will try to squeeze in a visit to Living Pianos in Santa Ana.

Unfortunately the Mason Hamlin was not my piano. I'm sure it used to be a beautiful piano, but after 40 years in a church, it needs some repairs. I wouldn't mind that as it was so under budget, but the bass was just no longer there, and the action felt like it was fighting me the whole time. The search continues... frown

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745386
06/18/18 05:05 PM
06/18/18 05:05 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

The search has ended!!!! After QUITE an intense week. HOOO BOY!

After the Mason Hamlin disappointment on Monday, I found an old 1929 Steinway on Craigslist, right on my budget. I went over immediately to try it out, and while it sounds so delightful, the action was really stiff, and the piano not really taken care of. Nevertheless, I engaged a tech to go look at it the very next day, and started a new thread about it: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2744027/thoughts-on-this-1929-steinway-s-m.html
As you can see, the replies has not been favorable and after a couple nights, I decided to let it go. It would have been a fixer upper piano and I would not be comfortable with that as my first piano, even with the tech's mostly positive evaluation. Thank goodness for Pianoworld!

On Wednesday, Carey from the forums sent me a very welcome PM. He said I should go to this Arizona dealer, and mentioned a few notable pianos there within my budget. Unbeknownst to him, I have already visited this dealer months before, and one of the pianos he recommended was in my 'dream list.' It was a Kawai 2001 RX-2, which I hovered over and played for a couple hours. However, at the time it was over my budget (I was still considering uprights then), and the dealer said someone else was looking at it so I gave it up. I was so surprised and excited that that same piano was still available for the same price, and Carey thought it was a good piano!

It was exciting news because just a couple weeks ago I was in Tennessee and found a similar 2007 RX-2 for $20k. Way beyond my budget but it just solidified my love for the RX2.

So I called the dealer and he confirmed the availability, and we talked a little about shipping costs etc. He doesn't know much about its history, but assures me it's stayed in Arizona the entire time. The total plus shipping came up to a little over the edge of my budget, so I made plans to drive up again to Phoenix maybe in a week or two to try it. I also talked to a local Phoenix tech who emailed back saying he has tried the same piano and gave it the all clear. Woohoo!

However, very soon afterwards, Carey replied with a curveball- he found a Phoenix Craigslist ad- a private seller is selling a 2008 RX-2 for a cheaper price. Here we go again!!!!

I was wary at first, not having good experiences with Craigslist (the Mason Hamlin and Steinway, amongst others) but called the seller anyway. He seemed sincere and said he is the original owner, it was played sparingly and he is moving soon so the piano is priced to sell. This was Thursday.. and I then made the decision to drive down to Phoenix that weekend to look at both the dealer's and Craigslist RX2.

The first thing I did was call some more techs in the Phoenix area... and boy are they hard to get a hold of. Thankfully a tech Carey recommended was available that weekend, and he promised to go to the Craigslist house on Saturday morning and let me know his evaluations ASAP. Meanwhile I had to educate myself on RX2s very quickly, who knew I would have TWO to choose from that weekend, and look up moving prices and pet sitters for my impromptu road trip! I also realized that the dealer's 2001 RX2 has the older Milennium 2 action, and the Craigslist's 2008 RX2 should have the newer Milennium 3 action. Well then!

The tech called me during my drive on Saturday afternoon and gave me the all-clear for the Craigslist RX2, only mentioning the piano is out of tune and needs 4-5 hours worth of regulation work. He confirmed the Milennium 3 action on it, and pointed out that the touch is slightly heavy but nothing too unusual from the other Kawais he has regulated. Another thing he pointed out is that the satin ebony finish has some little scratches on it (oh, whatever!). Otherwise he said it is a great piano, well taken care of (the lid was closed most of the time), and he anticipates no trouble if I should buy it. With this glowing review on hand, I arrived in Phoenix and first made a stop to the dealer's, to try their RX2.

Just as I remembered, it was a beautiful piano. I really love it! It was glossy black, completely cleaned up and beautiful and the Milennium 2 action was great. It was definitely 'showroom ready' and ready for sale. Doesn't look like it is 17 years old at all. While I was admiring it, Carey called me with happy news.. he is able to join me when I visit the Craigslist RX2 later that evening! He also mentioned he stopped by the dealer last night to try the RX2, so he will be able to compare the Craigslist piano with me with fresh ears. I was over the moon! How lucky am I to have a second opinion (or third, after the tech!).

The Craigslist seller was super nice, and the piano does indeed look very clean and well cared for for a 10 year old piano. Not 'showroom ready' as the one at the dealers, but I don't care! When I played it, the first thing I noticed is the treble seems brighter.. which I did like. The piano sounds so beautiful. Carey (who is an amaaaazing pianist!) mentioned the treble can be brought down, and that the action seems a little heavier compared to the dealer's RX2. I did notice that too, so we made a call to the tech who reiterated that the piano needs regulation and tuning which may affect our perception of the action. Still, I did not think it was unplayable.. it was still very comfortable. Nevertheless, when comparing the dealer's and Craigslist RX2... I didn't even hesitate, the difference to me was rather minute, I thought we were splitting hairs. I made the decision to buy the Craigslist's RX2!

My hands were shaking when I wrote the check! And when I woke up this morning back at home I can't believe it. Finally after so many months I found a grand of my favorite brand (Kawai), in a model I love (RX), in a size I could really grow into (5'10), not too old (2008!), at a price that left room for shipping, as much tuning and regulation it wants, and even a nice rug, covers and piano leg covers even.The cherry on top was when I found out it has Neotex keys, yay!

My infinite thanks and gratitude to Carey for finding and helping me evaluate this beautiful piano! I am holding my breath until the movers actually show up at my door with my new family member (who knows when? They're also very difficult to get a hold of).

For now I am measuring the space in my living room and seeing how it will fit, plus rug shopping. All the fun post-piano purchase stuff! My friends and family (who were held captive with glassy eyes listening to my inane piano chatter) can also breathe a sigh of relief!

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745396
06/18/18 05:35 PM
06/18/18 05:35 PM
Chicago
J
John305 Online content
John305  Online Content
J

Chicago
schinl, congratulations on your purchase. And really nice of Carey to go out of his way to help you. I too just bought my first grand piano and I know what the wait for delivery is like. It was best for me to try and put it out of my mind, which was really hard to do. After nearly a month it arrived two days ago on Saturday, well worth the wait. As for the rug, I found a very nice rug at rugs-direct.com, they have a really big selection. The rug I bought from them is very nice quality.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745402
06/18/18 05:54 PM
06/18/18 05:54 PM
H
huaidongxi Online content
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H

thank you for sharing this engaging ballad of the RX 2. to you and carey, namaste.

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745416
06/18/18 06:29 PM
06/18/18 06:29 PM
S
schinl Offline OP
schinl  Offline OP
S

John305: Yes, Carey is like an angel that flew down, pointed at things and lo! It was the perfect piano. Haha! Congratulations on your Shigeru 7! What a beauty. Have you posted photos yet? Also thanks for the tip on the rugs website. I am looking for a thicker rug.. preferably over 1/4in, as I am pretty sure this piano will be very loud.

huaidongxi: Thank you, and thanks for your help as well in the early stages of my journey!

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745418
06/18/18 06:44 PM
06/18/18 06:44 PM
E
ellie_musical Offline
ellie_musical  Offline
E

Congrats on your new piano! I know it musts been quite a journey, i just bought a piano for my daughter, I was so exhausted!

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745439
06/18/18 07:29 PM
06/18/18 07:29 PM
Chicago
J
John305 Online content
John305  Online Content
J

Chicago
shinl, no pictures yet. I'll try and remedy that soon though. The website I mentioned allows you to choose a rug thickness in the search parameters as well as the length, width, shape, etc. I went with 5/8" thick, I believe.

Last edited by John305; 06/18/18 07:31 PM.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745489
06/18/18 10:16 PM
06/18/18 10:16 PM
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Congratulations schinl!

Wishing you much joy on the purchase of your new-to-you Kawai RX-2. My experience with well-maintained RX-series has always been very good; the RX-2 has a nice full sound for its 5'10" size and the advanced Millennium action on your selected instrument will be much more tolerant of environmental changes. Also thanks to Carey for his willingness to assist you in your selection. From my past discussions with him, and his wonderful recordings, I could tell he was a very special person! Sounds like you made a great choice too!

All the Best,

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745558
06/19/18 08:46 AM
06/19/18 08:46 AM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G

What a cool story! I've never played an RX-2, but a friend of mine in Virginia who is an excellent pianist owns one and he loves it dearly. I think I'm going to have to watch for one to appear in our local Kawai showroom and give one a try just for kicks.

It was very nice of Cary to assist you. I bet many members of PW would love the opportunity to help others evaluate their piano options like that. I know I would.

On another note, If you have an Uncle Ollie's in your area, I was able to find my rug at one in our area for very little cost. I was surprised that they carry very high quality rugs there at exceptional bargains.

Last edited by GC13; 06/19/18 08:48 AM.
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745652
06/19/18 02:54 PM
06/19/18 02:54 PM
N
nancyde Offline
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Offline
Silver Subscriber
N

Congratulations on your new piano. You just cannot put a price on all the wonderful advice and the really nice people you get to "meet" on PianoWorld. Thank you for sharing your adventure and I join those who thank Cary for going above and beyond.

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745729
06/19/18 08:38 PM
06/19/18 08:38 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
500 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Congrats on your new piano! It was really interesting to read your "adventure". It is wonderful that there are helpful members on this forum!

Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745767
06/20/18 12:10 AM
06/20/18 12:10 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Schinl -

Of course I'm thrilled for you !! thumb

I realized from reading your posts that you had seen and ruled out all of the available pianos in your price range in Las Vegas. Since you seemed open to exploring options in other nearby cities, I didn't hesitate to share info with you about the Kawai RX2 at the dealer. What a surprise to learn that you had fallen in love with that same piano a few months earlier while visiting Phoenix and didn't realize it was still for sale. Aside from the condition of that piano (which was excellent), there were other issues to consider such as shipping costs and sales tax. I then remembered the newer, less expensive "private sale" RX2 (with a Millenium III action) I'd also seen on Craigslist and figured you should definitely be aware of that one as well. When you told me you were planning to drive down to Phoenix to look at both pianos I gave you the names of techs you could contact to evaluate them. Some last minute schedule changes made it possible for me to see and play both pianos myself, and I was able to join you at the private seller's home after my tech had spent an hour earlier that afternoon evaluating that piano. The private seller was truly motivated to sell his piano due to his impending move in two weeks (his kids are grown and in college and he is downsizing to a smaller residence) and he had priced the piano accordingly. BUT he told me that he really wanted the piano to go to someone who would appreciate and take care of it!! He overheard us talking about the need for tuning and regulation so he was aware of the extra expense you'd be incurring in addition to shipping costs. He could tell you loved the piano and was impressed that you'd driven all the way here from Las Vegas, so apparently he decided to reduce the asking price even further. Are you lucky or what !!!!!!! ha

So yes - it was indeed a pleasure to meet you, to help you finalize your long piano search, and hear you play !! I'm looking forward to hearing about the delivery of the piano in a couple of weeks, how it feels and sounds after a full regulation, and how it looks in your home with the new rug and other enhancements !!!!

Best wishes -

Carey (Phil)

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: schinl] #2745771
06/20/18 01:16 AM
06/20/18 01:16 AM
H
huaidongxi Online content
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H

if the folks here like 19th century romantic period piano music, maestro Phil Jones a.k.a. Carey communicates the music with a true affinity and knowledge (incl. rarely performed Schumann); his youtube channel is very much recommended.

Last edited by huaidongxi; 06/20/18 01:17 AM.
Re: My piano buying adventures [Re: huaidongxi] #2745964
06/20/18 11:41 PM
06/20/18 11:41 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
if the folks here like 19th century romantic period piano music, maestro Phil Jones a.k.a. Carey communicates the music with a true affinity and knowledge (incl. rarely performed Schumann); his youtube channel is very much recommended.
You are very kind. I appreciate the validation.
Thank you !! smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dp speakers, external speakers or . . . both?
by peterws. 10/19/18 09:20 AM
D Major, A major, E major arpeggio fingering in RH
by Waterfall. 10/19/18 08:32 AM
Removing Wurlitzer Action
by masonhamlin. 10/18/18 08:15 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,887
Posts2,754,002
Members91,289
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission