Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
119 registered members (anotherscott, 36251, akc42, bilb, Akaitsuki, Bachus, Abdol, Balezin Dmitry, 23 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731044
04/23/18 04:08 AM
04/23/18 04:08 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
I started with a grand piano in my living room. Then I had to switch to an upright, because the grand took too much space. After some time I decided to switch to a hybrid instrument, the Yamaha AvantGrand, which I placed in my man's cave and started using headphones. But my family was annoyed by the clicking of the keys, so the only solution was to play with a low sound level and drastically reduce the practice time. So now everyone is happy, except me because I find it very hard to polish pieces and learn new stuff within such short time...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: Ganddalf] #2731070
04/23/18 07:57 AM
04/23/18 07:57 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I started with a grand piano in my living room. Then I had to switch to an upright, because the grand took too much space. After some time I decided to switch to a hybrid instrument, the Yamaha AvantGrand, which I placed in my man's cave and started using headphones. But my family was annoyed by the clicking of the keys, so the only solution was to play with a low sound level and drastically reduce the practice time. So now everyone is happy, except me because I find it very hard to polish pieces and learn new stuff within such short time...

That is really sad frown

[Linked Image]
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731076
04/23/18 08:07 AM
04/23/18 08:07 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
I was thinking same. Wasn't the upright in the man cave isolated enough?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: Ganddalf] #2731080
04/23/18 08:49 AM
04/23/18 08:49 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

Have you got a local pub or bar with a piano you can play instead? Especially when there are household chores to do :-)

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731083
04/23/18 08:56 AM
04/23/18 08:56 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
This whole thread is making me really happy my upright isn't in a common area. Been thinking about a grand but should probably leave well enough alone.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731089
04/23/18 09:25 AM
04/23/18 09:25 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
This thread makes me really appreciate how lucky I am to have my husband as my partner. He has always encouraged my music making; purchased the piano of my dreams over my protests that it was too expensive; and listens to me whine about not playing well in a lesson or recital. A girl could not ask for more! He has computer based hobbies - writing software programs and creating hardware primarily. So, I am his sounding board when he had a sticky design problem, and try to support his interests in anyway I can. Our two hobbies dovetail nicely. They each take a lot of time. I own the salon during the day, and he has the guestroom/man cave. In the evening we abandon our projects and do something together.

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: cmb13] #2731099
04/23/18 10:12 AM
04/23/18 10:12 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
Originally Posted by cmb13
I was thinking same. Wasn't the upright in the man cave isolated enough?

Unfortunately not. Even the clicking of the mechanics when playing with headphones was easily heard and even more annoying than playing with sound. I wonder if vibration pads could help. The floor of the room obviously causes resonance.

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731102
04/23/18 10:30 AM
04/23/18 10:30 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
Wow, hearing these stories makes me think and appreciate my own situation. My husband works nights, so I try to practice in the morning before he gets home, but I have lots of other things to get done in the morning too. He tells me not to worry about playing while he's sleeping, apparently he finds the sound soothing (really? even when I'm doing those 2 problem measures, really slowly, six times?) Thanks to my darling for saying that!

I know I still practice more freely when I'm alone in the house... practice is not performance, and if I think I have an audience of any sort, I tend to go into a performance mode and worry about what they think of me. That hinders practice. Having people about that you know are hostile and don't want you to play must be awful.

One suggestion: if you live in a city, there might be some practice spaces available for hire at local music colleges and so forth. Or a piano in a church or something that might be available to practice on. If your home is not a good place to practice, check out where else you might be able to go...

Good luck, everyone!

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731109
04/23/18 10:52 AM
04/23/18 10:52 AM
Norway
G
Ganddalf Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G

Norway
I live in a rural area, and have little opportunity to practice and play outside my home. Besides this I'm very demanding when comes to the quality of the instrument. It has to be in tune and work flawlessly mechanically. But I make the best out of the situation and try to be as efficient as possible when practicing.

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731117
04/23/18 11:12 AM
04/23/18 11:12 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I live on my own, and have no near neighbours. Bliss!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731127
04/23/18 11:57 AM
04/23/18 11:57 AM
M
MooseMiller Offline
MooseMiller  Offline
M

Announce to your family that you have thought about it and decided to give up Piano and take up the drums. It may take you some months to get through the out of time beginner phase but you are sure that they will support you smile
In the meantime you'll just plod away on your piano laugh

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: MooseMiller] #2731131
04/23/18 12:16 PM
04/23/18 12:16 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
Originally Posted by MooseMiller
Announce to your family that you have thought about it and decided to give up Piano and take up the drums. It may take you some months to get through the out of time beginner phase but you are sure that they will support you smile
In the meantime you'll just plod away on your piano laugh

LOL - I bet that will do the trick!

[Linked Image]

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731180
04/23/18 02:16 PM
04/23/18 02:16 PM
Germany
C
Contraalto64 Offline
Contraalto64  Offline
C

Germany
My husband is also very supportive. He likes everything I play and doesn't mind my practising.
Our youngest son plays the guitar and we're used to practising the same time without annoying each other.
Lucky me :-)

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: Ganddalf] #2731192
04/23/18 03:28 PM
04/23/18 03:28 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
It's sad to hear that some people are not able to work out any compromise with their family. Frankly, if my family told me that the keyboard thumping is annoying I would just tell them to suck it up. Their Facebook notifications (that high-piched "ding" sound) are highly annoying to me and yet even though I hear it everywhere every day I don't say anything about it. I don't find it reasonable at all that you can't even practice with headphones on because someone wants to sleep in or watch TV.

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Mozart Sonata in G major, K. 283
Moszkowski Etude op. 91 no. 18
Chopin Nocturne in C-sharp minor, op. posth.
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731294
04/24/18 01:42 AM
04/24/18 01:42 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Just read a bit more of the thread. I also don't have a television in the place.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: elenmirie] #2731320
04/24/18 06:30 AM
04/24/18 06:30 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Italy
Originally Posted by elenmirie
Wow, hearing these stories makes me think and appreciate my own situation. My husband works nights, so I try to practice in the morning before he gets home, but I have lots of other things to get done in the morning too. He tells me not to worry about playing while he's sleeping, apparently he finds the sound soothing (really? even when I'm doing those 2 problem measures, really slowly, six times?) Thanks to my darling for saying that!

It's unbelievable, but my husband will fall asleep on the sofa, in the living room, while I'm playing the acoustic. And the sofa is about 2 feet from the piano. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm playng, he will sleep and he says it's soothing.

We have wonderful husbands, clearly!

[Linked Image]

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: casinitaly] #2731328
04/24/18 07:35 AM
04/24/18 07:35 AM
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Originally Posted by elenmirie

It's unbelievable, but my husband will fall asleep on the sofa, in the living room, while I'm playing the acoustic. And the sofa is about 2 feet from the piano. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm playng, he will sleep and he says it's soothing.

Piano music well played really is soothing! When my son comes over, he will sit down at the piano to play, and I lay on the sofa and just enjoy the music.

[Linked Image]
Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731331
04/24/18 08:00 AM
04/24/18 08:00 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

Our children are allowed an hour of device time in the evenings, and so am I - with my piano being my device of choice
I do sometimes play more than this, but it tends to be frowned on

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: woodfab] #2731359
04/24/18 09:54 AM
04/24/18 09:54 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Wow, what stories we all have! I am so glad to know that performers win, or else what would happen to symphonic orchestras or music festivals!

I grew up with 3 sisters, all musically inclined. We lived in a 2 up /2 down semi in a small UK seaside town on a main road. There were two pianos in the house, one on either side of the living room and dinning room adjoining wall. We took turns, one on each piano, 20 mins each, (2 at the same time!) and extra 10/20 if you were lucky. I guess that's what our parents arranged with the neighbours....between 4-5 pm before supper at 6. If you missed your turn, you missed. And one of us played viola - me, another clarinet, another oboe, and the last guitar. Those were not considered such noisy instruments and they got practiced inbetween or earlier. After dinner was often choir, local operatics group, local and youth orchestras, oh and other things that kids did like Girl Guides and Youth club. Very little time for TV or other stuff.

My own sons grew up with music in their lives - piano to start for a few years. I never made them practice - they just did. (!) and then they started guitars, and yes you guessed it - drums! Luckily we had a house with an underground cement basement and it was really only me up above in the kitchen that heard it all. When they got a bit older they would play in the garage with friends - and a very kind neighbour would laugh with us at the weekend, and wondered if they ever would get any better! Also lucky for us, most of the homes in that neighbourhood were second homes and empty most of the time. They eventually did play as a band for 10 yrs touring the States and did quite well. Then life took over and they went their own ways supporting families and morgages etc. All have a musical slant in their work and lives so the muse is still with them! It's a whole other story how that came about.

As for me -I always have played the piano. In col, studying science and Law I'd sneak into Great Hall if it was empty and play the Steinway all to myself - during allowed hours of course! Then I rented one when I first graduated Uni and had a paying job in The City ( London UK) - a beautiful baby grand - can't remember what kind. Found a teacher and kept on going. Then married - I rented one again while we were in London. When we emmigrated to Canada, a Piano was the first thing I bought,a Yamaha Studio upright. My youngest, now 35yrs old, has it now. I was a 'stay at home mom' so out in the Townhouse, our first home, I played during the day when everyone else in the neighbourhood was at work. Later on, as I mentioned while the kids were growing up, we were in a remote mountain village with few resident neighbours to worry about.

When we retired, we had a beach condo down in the Caribbean. That was a challenge, and I bought a Roland DP. Perfect answer! Loved it.Took up lessons again and lived the dream. Even took it with me when we travelled which was a lot back in those earlier years. Now it's too much hassel to drag it around and I just decided not to worry about it and enjoy the down time.
Then we moved back up to Canada, and dream on folks, started a winery. It was quite a challenge and no-one can tell you what its like. Tough is a good word to start with. But we like challenges and have seen it through. It's our 10 yr anniversary of opening this year - No 1 in BC and No2 in Canada on Trip Advisor! We don't do things by halves!
I could not have stayed sane with out my piano! But it has been more of a challenge to us as a couple in these later years than it ever has been. We might be out in the country and all that, but retirement means we are together 100% - so practice time has been an issue on and off as it never has been for me ever before.
Buying me a wonderful Yamaha diskclavier was so sweet of hubby - with a few limitations! I got used to using the headphones no problem but do much rather play acoustically. Eventually, after three different locations I do have my own playing space apart from the main living areas. That however does not stop the 'interruptions'. No-one seems to think its a problem to just come on in and expect me to down things and give them attention. One son with my 2 grand-daughters lives on property, and there are staff members floating around all the time who want me to problem solve endlessly! I play in the mornings before 10 am - or likelyhood is I won't at all for the rest of the day. And I often come down at night which I rather like.

I keep a running diary of when I play and watch my average. If it slips I try and make up but don't give myself too hard a time in the instant. It's just scratch paper on the Piano and I jot down the piece I work on, time I sit , and when I stop. Sometimes it's just 12 mins or so, but it all counts, and I can see what I've spent time on and how long it has taken me to get through different things. I'm no piano wonder at all, I'm just passionate about the music. It is just notes on a page until someone brings it to life, even the warts and all that I add! And it certainly make me so very appreciative of those marvelous concert pianist who have devoted their lives to mastering this incredible instrument.

I think we just do what we have to do to stay sane but all too often we cave in to negative attention. Mutual agreement and respect is what's needed in all things, not just practice time. Sometimes musicians are slow to insist on their time because we know how hard it is to learn and how hard it must be to listen to that for someone who just doesn't understand.....

Anyone thinking of taking up the Tuba? - lol

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Does your family interfere with your playing? [Re: casinitaly] #2731485
04/24/18 04:36 PM
04/24/18 04:36 PM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Indeed, we do! Bless them!

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking a break from a piece?
by Parcival. 08/17/19 10:20 AM
Have this ever happened to you?
by PianoStartsAt33. 08/17/19 02:30 AM
Question about Henle font
by JoelW. 08/16/19 11:06 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,578
Posts2,859,643
Members94,172
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission