Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
76 registered members (all18piano, AZNpiano, anotherscott, Bett, aireque, Agent88, Bill Schneider, 17 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Baldwin L twang #2730611
04/21/18 12:58 PM
04/21/18 12:58 PM
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline OP
Sanfrancisco  Offline OP
S

CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlDB9HkZ-Y&sns=em

This is a Robert Estrin video of a 1982 Baldwin L he is selling. I assume it is in tune. The tenor and treble timbre have a distinct twang. I not infrequently run into this in older restored and not restored grands in shops. Would hammer voicing correct it? Did these pianos sound this way when they were younger or new?

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 04/21/18 01:10 PM.
(ad 800)
PTG Convention
PTG Journal
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730624
04/21/18 01:37 PM
04/21/18 01:37 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I listened to the video, and I see what you mean. I'm not sure if you can make a good judgement listening to a YouTube video, or what kind of recording equipment Robert was using, or if Robert was just having a bad day that particular day. Either way, that particular recording did not sound good to me. I did notice the twang you refer to.

Again, it could be a number of things that might contribute to that particular twangy sound. The piano could need fine-tuning, and perhaps some hammer voicing, but there are other things that can cause a piano not sound its best. And, I don't think that was the best representation of a nicely prepped Baldwin L.

Also, and I'm sure you know this already, but I'd never buy a piano with the promise from the dealer that they can voice it to your liking after the sale. Me personally, I'd buy a piano like that for a reduced price and then see what I could do with it myself to bring out the best in the piano. Reminds me of one of my original songs, "You bring out the best in me". smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Rickster] #2730631
04/21/18 01:59 PM
04/21/18 01:59 PM
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline OP
Sanfrancisco  Offline OP
S

CA
Rick, I am not looking to buy, only to learn! If it was a hammer voicing problem surely Estrin has the ability to easily correct it making the Baldwin far more saleable? I am most interested in what it means that I occasionally run into this twang problem in older pianos in shops. Did they always sound this way?

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 04/21/18 02:18 PM.
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730755
04/22/18 12:53 AM
04/22/18 12:53 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
The pros here would know more than me, but older pianos equal hard, warn hammers, usually. You'd be surprised the difference that hammer reshaping, hammer to string alignment, along with needling/voicing will make in older pianos. Also, and again, fine tuning can made a difference too. I would imagine that in some cases, new hammers would be the only solution to the old piano twang sound, if the old hammer are no longer servicable.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730767
04/22/18 01:59 AM
04/22/18 01:59 AM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
K

Michigan
Originally Posted by Sanfrancisco
Rick, I am not looking to buy, only to learn! If it was a hammer voicing problem surely Estrin has the ability to easily correct it making the Baldwin far more saleable? I am most interested in what it means that I occasionally run into this twang problem in older pianos in shops. Did they always sound this way?

Well, one of the things to be learned through this experience is that it is not possible to make a definite pronouncement about a piano via a recording. Too many variables.

1) Did you listen to the track with high-quality headphones, your computer speakers or just a set of earbuds?
2) Do you know how the piano was mic'd?
3) What about recording equipment?

All of the above could affect the sound available on the recording -- none of which have anything to do with the piano itself.

Beyond that, what Rick said. They do appear to be original hammers very similar to hammers I just worked with on a patch job for a Baldwin SD-10.
Also, the L tended to develop what I call a "jangle" in the low treble (not tenor-- first treble section). That jangle can be dealt with but it is common. I can't say I heard that in the recording, but recordings can obscure things that are really there as well as put things in that aren't.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
Editor Emeritus, Piano Technicians Journal
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730874
04/22/18 01:23 PM
04/22/18 01:23 PM
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline OP
Sanfrancisco  Offline OP
S

CA
Assume the twang is a hammer issue. Given the low rate dealers pay techs (a whole other issue), why take up valuable floor space with the twangy pianos I not infrequently encounter, when they can be corrected? Surely even a novice buyer is able to hear the difference with a consumer grade new piano.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 04/22/18 01:30 PM.
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730890
04/22/18 02:54 PM
04/22/18 02:54 PM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
K

Michigan
Originally Posted by Sanfrancisco
Assume the twang is a hammer issue. Given the low rate dealers pay techs (a whole other issue), why take up valuable floor space with the twangy pianos I not infrequently encounter, when they can be corrected? Surely even a novice buyer is able to hear the difference with a consumer grade new piano.

And therein lies the mystery. When I was a dealer (in a small paper mill and dairy farming town) I sold more of the better-sounding models than most other dealers nationwide -- including some of the upscale markets -- because I respected people's ability to actually hear and presented the instruments accordingly and yes, in tune and regulated. It works. But most dealers never got the memo -- or never really believed that the approach would have a payback. They just look at the costs of service.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730906
04/22/18 04:02 PM
04/22/18 04:02 PM
Montreal
P
pyropaul Offline
pyropaul  Offline
P

Montreal
All of Robert Estrin's videos have pianos that sound out of tune and twangy to my ears. Compare with, say, PianoWorksATL - night and day difference.

Paul.

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730959
04/22/18 08:15 PM
04/22/18 08:15 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Paul,

I tend to agree - although this video is nowhere near the worst offender, I am often shocked by how "salty" the tuning of those pianos are in the videos.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2730974
04/22/18 09:34 PM
04/22/18 09:34 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
I think he is trying to wow the observer with his playing rather than the sound of the piano (which I do not think sounds that great). It definitely needs significant tone regulation in addition to cleaning up the tuning.

Piano probably has lots of potential.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: pyropaul] #2730996
04/22/18 10:49 PM
04/22/18 10:49 PM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
K

Michigan
Originally Posted by pyropaul
All of Robert Estrin's videos have pianos that sound out of tune and twangy to my ears. Compare with, say, PianoWorksATL - night and day difference.

Paul.

And we don't know ... is it the pianos or the respective recording systems?

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731006
04/23/18 12:59 AM
04/23/18 12:59 AM
DFW area
M
Mevans4715 Offline
Mevans4715  Offline
M

DFW area
I can't agree that Robert Estrin's pianos are out of tune. I have been to Santa Ana and have played some of them. The Model L is a hand built piano. It is well known that hand built pianos vary in touch and tone, and it should be recognized that all pianos vary with humidity and barometric pressure. Robert has had many Ls that have been very round and sonourous pianos. I myself have a 1982 L not procured from him. It has a wonderful, fat rich, round tone. Having said that, the L in this recording is not my favorite. It seems to need some tone adjustment to make it darker and rounder and perhaps some needling to see if it's tone can be improved. I am quite reticent to condemn Robert. He is a good man and he is doing his bit to recondition and put many worthy American pianos the makers of which are now defunct back in service.

Last edited by Mevans4715; 04/23/18 01:07 AM.
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731007
04/23/18 01:00 AM
04/23/18 01:00 AM
CA
S
Sanfrancisco Offline OP
Sanfrancisco  Offline OP
S

CA
I sorry if this thread is read in anyway to critize Robert Estrin. Robert is an accomplished pianist, who provides some very informative and educational short videos. I take them to be a public service and always enjoy viewing them. He comes across as straight forward and candid. Sure he's in the business of selling pianos but if you listen again to the video you'll see he refers to the Baldwin also as a fine piece of furniture. The Baldwin is the first glaringly flawed piano I've seen him present and I was just using as an example to try to understand twangy pianos. Not to criticize Robert.

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731008
04/23/18 01:09 AM
04/23/18 01:09 AM
DFW area
M
Mevans4715 Offline
Mevans4715  Offline
M

DFW area
Agreed. I very much appreciate what he is trying to accomplish.

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: terminaldegree] #2731147
04/23/18 12:57 PM
04/23/18 12:57 PM
Montreal
P
pyropaul Offline
pyropaul  Offline
P

Montreal
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Paul,

I tend to agree - although this video is nowhere near the worst offender, I am often shocked by how "salty" the tuning of those pianos are in the videos.

I have nothing against Robert and am not criticising him ... but compare these two:

Living Pianos Model A

PianoWorks ATL Model A

Of course there's a difference in the microphones, but there's a much bigger difference in the quality of the tuning and overall sound.

Paul.

Last edited by pyropaul; 04/23/18 12:59 PM. Reason: fixed url
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: pyropaul] #2731150
04/23/18 01:01 PM
04/23/18 01:01 PM
Montreal
P
pyropaul Offline
pyropaul  Offline
P

Montreal
Originally Posted by pyropaul
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Paul,

I have nothing against Robert and am not criticising him ... but compare these two:

Living Pianos Model A

PianoWorks ATL Model A

Of course there's a difference in the microphones, but there's a much bigger difference in the quality of the tuning and overall sound.

Paul.

And this one is even better: PianoWorks ATL Model A-III

[ edited to add: Plus another one from Living Pianos of the same model: A3 with salty tuning ]

Just to note I have no affiliation with any of the companies mentioned here!

Paul.

Last edited by pyropaul; 04/23/18 01:10 PM.
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: pyropaul] #2731159
04/23/18 01:24 PM
04/23/18 01:24 PM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
K

Michigan

Yes. We all want to believe we can tell the difference between the pianos, but the difference in mics prevents us from doing that -- at least very well.
We may be able to judge some differences between pianos that had the same recording equipment and same venue, but we deceive ourselves if we think we can make valid distinctions between pianos that had significant differences in recording equipment.

Although I'm sure there are differences between the pianos in the links, the larger part of what I believe I am hearing is differences in equipment.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: kpembrook] #2731160
04/23/18 01:27 PM
04/23/18 01:27 PM
Montreal
P
pyropaul Offline
pyropaul  Offline
P

Montreal
Originally Posted by kpembrook

Yes. We all want to believe we can tell the difference between the pianos, but the difference in mics prevents us from doing that -- at least very well.
We may be able to judge some differences between pianos that had the same recording equipment and same venue, but we deceive ourselves if we think we can make valid distinctions between pianos that had significant differences in recording equipment.

Although I'm sure there are differences between the pianos in the links, the larger part of what I believe I am hearing is differences in equipment.

Yes but even poor equipment doesn't introduce beats into unisons wink Since all recording is digital these days, you can't say it's due to wow and flutter in the tape. In those examples I posted, it's not hard to hear the mis-tuned unisons and other intervals (you can hear the high partials beating in quite a few places).

I agree for the overall tone, though, the mics do make a difference (bass and treble response etc.). All the videos PianoWorks ATL post are well recorded, though. If I was in the business of selling pianos and putting videos online, I'd want them to be as good as those.

Paul.

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731165
04/23/18 01:33 PM
04/23/18 01:33 PM
G
GC13 Offline
GC13  Offline
G

I think of the "Baldwin Twang" as the distinct characteristics of the treble in the infamous recording of "Linus and Lucy" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" TV Special. I believe that was played on a Baldwin piano, and I've played many a Baldwin that had that same characteristic "twang" which IMHO isn't quite as noticeable when the piano is freshly tuned by an RPT who really knows how to control it. I played regularly on an SD-10 back in the 1990's and it had the "Baldwin twang". Our technician was pretty good at controlling it, but it quickly returned and became more pronounced as the piano drifted out of tune. As I recall our RPT told me it had to do with the steel in the strings Baldwin used as they aged from use. We were also experiencing some string breaks on that piano. He told us that between the 2 issues, we probably need to consider restringing it. I'm curious to see what the experts here on PW will say.

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731295
04/24/18 01:44 AM
04/24/18 01:44 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
My usual apology for butting in, as I am not a technician.

It struck me that Baldwin J Twang sounded like one of the names Groucho Marx used to have in the Marx Brothers' films.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731321
04/24/18 06:53 AM
04/24/18 06:53 AM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
I cannot comment with any certainty on this issue, however since Baldwin is the only maker (that I am currently aware of) that uses a vertically laminated bridge WITH NO CAP, I am somewhat inclined to look to that as being a possible contender in this "issue". I am perfectly happy to hear someone say: "That's ridiculous...how could that contribute to a twang"? Personally I cannot say. It's just hunch.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731332
04/24/18 08:06 AM
04/24/18 08:06 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by P W Grey
I cannot comment with any certainty on this issue, however since Baldwin is the only maker (that I am currently aware of) that uses a vertically laminated bridge WITH NO CAP, I am somewhat inclined to look to that as being a possible contender in this "issue". I am perfectly happy to hear someone say: "That's ridiculous...how could that contribute to a twang"? Personally I cannot say. It's just hunch.

Pwg

That is certainly possible, Peter. You would know more than me, but not to compare apples to oranges, I have a Baldwin R from 1999, (near the end of Baldwin's financial failure and Gibson buy-out) and it too has the vertical laminated bridge, with no cap. But it sounds fantastic to me. I play it as much, if not more, than I play my C7. It certainly has no upper treble twang, to my hears at least, even when slightly out of tune.

So, I'm not so sure I'd put all Baldwin grands in the "twangy upper treble" category. The low bass on the R is extraordinary for a 5'8" piano. But with my Baldwin R being somewhat newer than the one under discussion, that too may be a factor.

I'd still have to conclude that the Baldwin L in this thread needs fine tuning and perhaps some hammer voicing. But I'm no expert.

All the best,

Rick

Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: P W Grey] #2731349
04/24/18 09:08 AM
04/24/18 09:08 AM
V
violarules Offline
violarules  Offline
V

Originally Posted by P W Grey

Pwg

Doesn't Steinway use a laminated bridge with no cap? I thought they even touted it as a more efficient way to transmit vibrations or something or another...

I have a feeling the twang has more to do with the duplex scaling and hard hammers on the more modern Baldwins.

Last edited by violarules; 04/24/18 10:19 AM.
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2731508
04/24/18 06:10 PM
04/24/18 06:10 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
Steinway has always used a solid cap on their vertical lams (notches much easier than laminated).

And I certainly wouldn't put all Baldwin's into a twang category. No way. I have seen great ones as well as mediocre ones (basically true with all makes).

Who knows? The way to determine if it is a NSL issue of course is to mute it all off and see how it sounds. Then add it back in section by section.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Re: Baldwin L twang [Re: Sanfrancisco] #2743510
06/10/18 07:16 PM
06/10/18 07:16 PM
Orange County, California
bobestrin Offline
bobestrin  Offline

Orange County, California
I apologize for the inferior quality of this recording. It was made over 4 years ago before we even had a recording studio. We work hard to prepare all the pianos we have to the highest level of performance possible.

Here are some recent recordings of pianos:

Steinway D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7d85hykw

Bl├╝thner Model 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRf-Yuy-ETI&t=113s

You can explore all of our pianos (many with videos) right here: https://livingpianos.com/pianos/

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to check the age of my new Yamaha GB1K
by luckyme9. 10/20/18 08:53 PM
Hailun 216
by MainevilleMike. 10/20/18 07:57 PM
Cannot get a beatless unison
by electone2007. 10/20/18 06:58 PM
Decline of amateur piano playing
by FrankCox. 10/20/18 06:01 PM
Correct fingering chart for 3 octaves in all keys?
by bythecshore. 10/20/18 05:48 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,903
Posts2,754,256
Members91,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission