2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a real issue with the video recording of competitions and concerts in that the videographer seems to be more interested in putting on their own show rather than concentrating on the pianist. There is constant changes of camera angles, showing more of the pianist's head bobbing up and down rather than the hands playing the keyboard, angles from the top of the hall roof or underside of the piano, close ups of the face where you can see the beads of sweet, etc. and so much so that a viewer can never get into watching the pianist PLAYING THE PIANO. During a recent competition the pianist was approaching the final bars of Rachmaninoff's 3rd which to me is one of the most exciting (and difficult) pieces of music to watch and hear. What did the video go to? The side of the piano shot, the entire orchestra shots, behind the piano views where all one could see was head bobbing, and very little of the pianist's hands PLAYING THE PIANO. What a total disappointment for the viewer but in contacting those who did the video (major recording company) they felt it was great coverage? Is it me or do others feel the same?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I would agree that sometimes videos of musical performances, particularly those of solo performances, have camera movements that actually detract from the viewing experience. The biggest "culprits" in this domain that immediately come to mind are Anderson and Rowe. To me - and let me remind you this is just one opinion - their videos smack of "Look how cute we are! Aren't we just so great!" They are a remarkable piano duo, however, and they deserve much of the praise they get for both their technique and musicianship, but I do not like their self-serving videos.

That said, when one knows the score and knows more or less what notes the pianist is playing, how important is it to see the hands? I have the same reservations about those feeling the need to sit where they can see the pianist's hands in a live recital. Unless one is a bit of an amateur and/or non-pianist, I don't see the necessity of seeing the hands when the sound produced is what is important.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
That said, when one knows the score and knows more or less what notes the pianist is playing, how important is it to see the hands? I have the same reservations about those feeling the need to sit where they can see the pianist's hands in a live recital. Unless one is a bit of an amateur and/or non-pianist, I don't see the necessity of seeing the hands when the sound produced is what is important.
I must confess to sitting on "piano side" for every recital I've ever seen except one. For me there's extra excitement or interest in watching the hands I guess. The professional pianists in the audience almost always sit on the non piano side haha.

As far as video close ups of the hands go, I think those are particularly interesting, and one can learn a lot about playing the piano just by watching them.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
[...]
As far as video close ups of the hands go, I think those are particularly interesting, and one can learn a lot about playing the piano just by watching them.

Yes; I certainly agree with that. Sometimes one can get ideas on re-distribution of notes between the hands and even, in some cases, fingering.
I've often tried to emulate the relaxation displayed by certain pianists; watching them in videos can help that aspect of practice and performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
[...]

Yes; I certainly agree with that. Sometimes one can get ideas on re-distribution of notes between the hands and even, in some cases, fingering.

That's right.

When I was learning Ravel's Ondine, it was actually watching a pianist's redistribution of notes between his hands that made a very tricky passage playable for me, at long last.

Afterwards, I was scratching my head wondering why I never thought of that before....... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I knew a piano teacher who always made the point of sitting far in the back on the "non-piano side" in order to evaluate projection while not being swayed by visuals. 😐

I haven't been annoyed with recent video coverage of competitions, as far as pianists go. Often, I think conductors are shorted coverage where they are important in piano concerto performances.

Way back in music school, I got stuck sitting on the "wrong side" when a friend of mine was performing a piece for LH only for a weekly recital. It took me a while to remember that her RH was in a cast!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Well they are shot many times by people who do not know the music or what might be interesting to pianists who are watching. How many times have we seen footage of a particularly difficult section of a concerto only to see the camera pan away from the pianist's hands and to the flute or other instrument?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234
Well they are shot many times by people who do not know the music or what might be interesting to pianists who are watching. How many times have we seen footage of a particularly difficult section of a concerto only to see the camera pan away from the pianist's hands and to the flute or other instrument?

I guess a "score reader" that helps the director call the camera shots is not in the budget!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have been to some Amateur Competitions where they just DON'T seem to know what they are doing, like taking a picture of my back from below stage accenting my rear end. Why is that interesting? So disappointing. You can tell when they really know how to video a piano performance!

Musica 71
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BKr
I have a real issue with the video recording of competitions and concerts in that the videographer seems to be more interested in putting on their own show rather than concentrating on the pianist. There is constant changes of camera angles, showing more of the pianist's head bobbing up and down rather than the hands playing the keyboard, angles from the top of the hall roof or underside of the piano, close ups of the face where you can see the beads of sweet, etc. and so much so that a viewer can never get into watching the pianist PLAYING THE PIANO. During a recent competition the pianist was approaching the final bars of Rachmaninoff's 3rd which to me is one of the most exciting (and difficult) pieces of music to watch and hear. What did the video go to? The side of the piano shot, the entire orchestra shots, behind the piano views where all one could see was head bobbing, and very little of the pianist's hands PLAYING THE PIANO. What a total disappointment for the viewer but in contacting those who did the video (major recording company) they felt it was great coverage? Is it me or do others feel the same?

I wholeheartedly agree with you!! It is so frustrating when the exciting piano part is coming up, and they cut away to some other view. I have often thought "why can't they have someone filming who knows the music"...

And I love to see the hands as well. It is amazing how much I can learn just by observing others.

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
When you hear pieces played on a recording, you don't see the performer and tend to focus on just the quality of the sound. With video recordings, they become a different show altogether. When you are sitting in a concert hall, depending on your seat (Orchestra, L, Center, R balcony), you get a limited view of the performer. The videographer probably has several cameras fixed in different spots and after the concert is done do a cut & paste of different videos angles to give a more balanced coverage.

Once went to a concert given by the organist Cameron Carpenter. Each person was seeing the concert from a different angle. There were 2 video screens hanging down from the ceiling in front of the organ to gave his hands & feet a close-up view as he was playing.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission