Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
105 registered members (Bett, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, Angelos58, AaronSF, AAC127, Alex C, AZNpiano, 24 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? #2615987
02/19/17 06:49 AM
02/19/17 06:49 AM
Australia
cathryn999 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Australia
I'll be travelling a lot more this year and it's not feasible to lug around a suitcase full of music books, so I'm thinking about making the move to an iPad Pro 12.9 and the Forscore app. But it's a pretty pricey investment - between AUD$1200 - $1600 depending plus $145 for the Apple pencil.

What's your thoughts - is it worth it? Are there better alternatives? Downsides and things to watch out for?

thanks in advance,
Cathryn.

PS if this is posted in the wrong place mods feel free to move it.
I wasn't sure about whether to post here, or in the digital forum. Tks.

Last edited by cathryn999; 02/19/17 06:50 AM.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2616018
02/19/17 10:06 AM
02/19/17 10:06 AM
New Orleans, LA
I
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Isabelle1949  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

New Orleans, LA
I use ForScore on my Ipad and like it. Keeps music in one place. I'm no techno geek though.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2616044
02/19/17 12:18 PM
02/19/17 12:18 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
I've had an iPad since 2011, which I use heavily for everthing but actually playing. I do use it with ForScore and IMSLP for "vetting" pieces or score study, also for YouTube watching, iTunes, and Notion (for notation).

A new iPad Pro is rumored to debut soon, so there is no use buying right now only to be two years behind with iOS upgrade cycles (in terms of hardware).

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2616123
02/19/17 04:42 PM
02/19/17 04:42 PM
Australia
cathryn999 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Australia
Thanks for the tip WhoDwaldi - it looks like the iPad Pro 2 will be release second quarter 2017, so I'll wait a little while.

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2617063
02/22/17 06:01 PM
02/22/17 06:01 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
I've been using my iPad Pro and forScore almost every day for the past 12 months and wouldn't be without it. I bought forScore and a 9" iPad at the time the 'Pro' was just a rumour on Apple discussion sites, to manage my mountain of albums. I loved the software but found the 9" screen too small for my 'mature' eyes. So as soon as the Pro was released, I upgraded. That iPad was *made* for sheet music. I only have the 32Gb Pro but this is more than adequate for a massive number of scores.

The app scans music scores into PDFs which appear full-size and beautifully crisp on the 12.9" screen. You can organise your scores any way you like, you can rearrange pieces, you can mark up on the screen (love the Apple Pencil), you can record your performances ... I could go on, but I risk sounding like an advert. smile

Another big plus: forScore's support is legendary, as I found when I needed advice earlier on.

There will always be a newer and better model of anything electronic on the horizon, so why wait? You might need time to explore the power of the app - better to get familiar with it now than when you're on the road.

(Oh - and some months ago I invested in an AirTurn pedal - works beautifully with forScore.)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LI

My C3 - solace.
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2617446
02/23/17 07:26 PM
02/23/17 07:26 PM
A
AGPianist Offline
AGPianist  Offline
A

I was on the fence about this for a long time, and after a lot of research and saving, I took the plunge. I also travel a lot and play with a lot of chamber groups/choirs, and managing all the books and binders got tiresome. I also use the iPad for most of my other work (mostly email/web browsing/MS Office and calendaring) and it's incredibly handy for everything.

I got a refurbished iPad Pro (no problems with it so far) with the keyboard attachment, pencil for annotations, and a Coda foot pedal. The total price was pretty steep, but I love having it now. The main thing I worry about is a crash on stage, but after using it for a few months' worth of practicing and rehearsals, it seems rock solid. I think I will be bringing paper copies of specific pieces to actual concerts just in case, though.

The foot pedal is probably the hardest part to get used to, but once you've settled in with it, it becomes second nature. Some people might not like having only one page visible at a time, but not having to move a hand off the piano to turn pages is a big plus.

I also wondered about waiting for the next gen model. I may upgrade if needed a few years down the line, but for most of what I use it for, I don't really need anything too fancy in terms of processing power, 3D Touch, or whatever else they'll add/improve for the next one. The current model does everything very well as far as I'm concerned.

There isn't really a competitor out there, in my opinion. I looked into the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro at first, but I read a lot of reports about poor reliability; plus, the line was discontinued about a year ago. The Surface Pro 4 could work, but I personally didn't need the "full" operating system, and even worse, Windows doesn't have anything close to ForScore for reading music. Anecdotally, I've heard that they can be buggy, and battery life isn't as good as with the iPad.

I would definitely recommend this setup!

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2617477
02/23/17 09:10 PM
02/23/17 09:10 PM
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TwoSnowflakes  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Another vote for iPad Pro + ForScore!

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2617500
02/23/17 10:20 PM
02/23/17 10:20 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
This iPad Pro review by a conductor is nevertheless helpful to us pianists.

https://youtu.be/deZflQRm39k

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2617995
02/25/17 05:10 PM
02/25/17 05:10 PM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
I have an iPad Pro 9" and I use forScore, and then in January I got both the AirTurn (Ped, I think, the less expensive one, like $60-70) and an Apple Pencil.

I LOVE this set up!! I can't rave enough about it! A lot of pieces I play are quite long, so I love getting them on the iPad and not having to worry about page turning. There are some pieces (passages) where I might have a wobble getting my foot to the foot pedal but for the most part I adjusted pretty quickly.

I don't have a problem with the 9" size, but if money were no object I would definitely get the bigger one.

Also, even if you don't have a foot pedal, page turning is so easy with the iPad.

Anyway, nothing in my post here is especially informative (sorry!) but add me to the list of people who love using the iPad and forScore for playing. smile

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2618025
02/25/17 08:44 PM
02/25/17 08:44 PM
McAllen, TX
B
Brendan Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Brendan  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B

McAllen, TX
I have an iPad 4 from 2013(?) coupled with forScore/AirTurn and it has yet to crap out on me onstage. It's especially good for volume, so if you do a lot of accompanying, then it's more or less the only way to go.

I've also used it for concerti, solo recitals, chamber music, etc., and it's been fine as long as everything is charged and up-to-date.

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2618561
02/27/17 02:31 PM
02/27/17 02:31 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
The screen is big enough you can actually read the music properly. The only drawback is one page at a time. Although you can read 2 pages in landscape mode, it's too small for me. Page turning is as easy as swiping the screen left or right.

Making copies of music is easy. Get a "scanner" app and you can take photos using the built-in camera, make quick adjustments, save as PDF then import to forScore. Once imported, type the name of the pieces and its composer. ForScore group the pieces by composers.

Using Apple Pencil, you can write notes and make highlights in different colours. These you can edit/erase at any time.

Of course, having an iPad Pro does not confine you to using ForScore. Watching movies/Netflix with surround sound speakers, reading the newspapers on a large screen, sketching/doodling pictures etc. is way better than a regular sized iPad. Get an app to write music too. It's much better than using your computer with keyboard or a regular iPad using fingers. Having the Apple Pencil makes it very easy, quick and more accurate.

Because of its size, although very slim, you'll feel like you're carrying a light 13" laptop. It doesn't fit into small bags.

For accessories, I bought the Apple Pencil, a $10 MacBook Air sleeve, the Apple front cover, and a power bank.

I've had my iPad Pro for over a year now. I love it!

[Linked Image]

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2618650
02/27/17 07:03 PM
02/27/17 07:03 PM
R
RubberFingers Offline
RubberFingers  Offline
R

I'm curious: is it easy to accidentally flip two pages instead of one? And is it a swiping motion, or a tap?

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: RubberFingers] #2618744
02/28/17 01:54 AM
02/28/17 01:54 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by RubberFingers
I'm curious: is it easy to accidentally flip two pages instead of one? And is it a swiping motion, or a tap?

No.

Swipe.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2618752
02/28/17 03:21 AM
02/28/17 03:21 AM
Cali
T
Terry Michael Offline
Terry Michael  Offline
T

Cali
I love my iPad Pro. I have my entire music collection on it. Well, ALMOST. I still have some left to scan. I would recommend getting a google drive so you can facilitate having everything in one place as you keep growing your collection.

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2618893
02/28/17 12:01 PM
02/28/17 12:01 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA

Either.

With forScore, tapping flips pages--on the right (side of the screen) ahead, on the left back. But, tapping in the center brings up or dismisses a tool bar.

Swipes are more like turning real pages and are not as dependent on screen location.

In this vid, Yuja Wang uses an iPad during a recording session.

[video:youtube]LwC2nWvGqYw[/video]

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2619604
03/02/17 09:38 AM
03/02/17 09:38 AM
not in Japan anymore
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

Either.

With forScore, tapping flips pages--on the right (side of the screen) ahead, on the left back. But, tapping in the center brings up or dismisses a tool bar.

Swipes are more like turning real pages and are not as dependent on screen location.

Before I got my foot pedal, I was in the habit of tapping because I felt like it's faster, but I did something have that problem of tapping too close to the center. IIRC there's a setting (performance mode?) that you can put on which will prevent that change, so any touch on the screen only results in a page turn. However, before I tried using that I ended up getting the foot pedal.

With the foot pedal, especially at first, I sometimes wouldn't do it right, the page wouldn't turn, I'd press the foot pedal again and then turn two pages. I have managed to stop doing that, but it was a bit of an adjustment.

Started piano June 1999. My recordings at Box.Net:
https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: ShiroKuro] #2619679
03/02/17 02:10 PM
03/02/17 02:10 PM
A
AGPianist Offline
AGPianist  Offline
A

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

Either.

Before I got my foot pedal, I was in the habit of tapping because I felt like it's faster, but I did something have that problem of tapping too close to the center. IIRC there's a setting (performance mode?) that you can put on which will prevent that change, so any touch on the screen only results in a page turn. However, before I tried using that I ended up getting the foot pedal.

With the foot pedal, especially at first, I sometimes wouldn't do it right, the page wouldn't turn, I'd press the foot pedal again and then turn two pages. I have managed to stop doing that, but it was a bit of an adjustment.

I just got back from playing a wedding gig with my iPad, and it reminded me of this thread. I was going to chime back in about the performance mode--that does make it easier to turn pages with tapping (you can't accidentally bring up the toolbar).

Also, I have several choir pieces with a lot of repeats, D.S. al Codas, etc., and another nice feature is that you can "tag" different sections, creating a dot to tap which brings you right to where you need to go. Unfortunately, the dot is somewhat small and every now and then it's possible to miss it (usually resulting in a page turn). Maybe it's possible to program the pedal to trigger the dot--or you can also duplicate pages in a way that turning back is unnecessary.

I also thought I wouldn't want to use a foot pedal to turn pages, but it has really spoiled me from not having to lift my hand all the time, leaving a beat or two of silence in one of the parts. It took me several days of practice to finally get used to the pedal, but now it's second nature. It's kind of funny (or maybe sad), but more than once I've found myself recently playing with a paper score trying to turn the page with my foot!

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2619712
03/02/17 04:14 PM
03/02/17 04:14 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
I forgot about performance mode--I do know about the D.S. al Coda thing. Thanks.

I felt like a minored in page turning for others in music school (if you ever get a reputation for being reliable . . . 😀). So, I guess I'm now obsolete. ha

I missed that sometime between the recording session (vid posted above) and a performance, Yuja Wang got a large iPad Pro, which is displaying the full score (not just the piano part and reduction) of Ravel's LH concerto, interestingly enough. Nice to have a swipe hand free. 😀

[video:youtube]ZbEtk1kdYx4[/video]

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2622462
03/10/17 09:33 PM
03/10/17 09:33 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
Pianoperformance  Offline
P

Completely love my iPad Pro and forescore: love that it means my music is organized for my lessons. Easy annotations with apple Ipen, add that to your shopping list.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2622464
03/10/17 09:37 PM
03/10/17 09:37 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Rumor is new iPad models will debut April 4th.

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2622913
03/12/17 06:37 AM
03/12/17 06:37 AM
Australia
cathryn999 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Australia
Thanks for all the great feedback, seems like it's definitely worth the investment. Thanks again.

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2624707
03/17/17 09:58 PM
03/17/17 09:58 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Well, this is one I didn't know about. The bite switch page turner!

(For those with good teeth. grin)

[video:youtube]PU0deGXTJpM[/video]

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2647824
05/28/17 11:11 AM
05/28/17 11:11 AM
Kentucky
M
MH1963 Offline

Silver Subscriber
MH1963  Offline

Silver Subscriber
M

Kentucky
I searched for this info but can't seem to find it.

I know that the size of the iPad Pro is 12.9". However, part of that is the bevel. What's the actual dimension of the area available to display music? My reason for wanting to upgrade is that the music is too small to see on my 9.7" iPad. But (short of a trip to the faraway Apple Store), I'm wondering what the usable screen size is and how that compares with a standard size sheet of music.

My purchased music is on 9" x 12" sheets. Has this presented an issue for others when scanning, since scanners typically scan for 8.5" x 11" source docs? I really do need to maximize the size of the notes.

Also, for those of you who have a lot of music scanned, have you found storage to be an issue? I usually buy 'midrange' models, but I'm wondering if I need the model with the most storage.

Thank you so much for helping me spend my money, ha ha!

Last edited by MH1963; 05/28/17 11:38 AM.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A
[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2647832
05/28/17 11:32 AM
05/28/17 11:32 AM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
It's about 7 5/8" x 10 1/4" or thereabouts. With ForScore it's easy to crop out the margins so the music is close enough to the same size.
I've scanned all sorts of paper sizes for use on my iPad and haven't had any issues (although your scanner obviously needs to accommodate the larger sizes).

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: MH1963] #2647835
05/28/17 11:39 AM
05/28/17 11:39 AM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Originally Posted by MH1963
I searched for this info but can't seem to find it.

I know that the size of the iPad Pro is 12.9". However, part of that is the bevel. What's the actual dimension of the area available to display music? My reason for wanting to upgrade is that the music is too small to see on my 9.7" iPad. But (short of a trip to the faraway Apple Store), I'm wondering what the usable screen size is and how that compares with a standard size sheet of music.

My purchased music is on 9" x 12" sheets. Has this presented an issue for others when scanning, since scanners typically scan for 8.5" x 11" source docs? I really do need to maximize the size of the notes.

I hear you. 9x12 is an old standard, perfect for piano scores. The computing world doesn't seem to like 9x12.

Another wrinkle: Apple has a Developers Conference next week during which new products may be announced. There is talk of a new 10.5" inch iPad which is really the same as the 9.7" with expanded display into the black glass near the bezel.

ForeScore allows resizing pages to get rid of margins on scanned scores thereby enlarging the music.

WhoDwaldi
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2647843
05/28/17 12:29 PM
05/28/17 12:29 PM
Kentucky
M
MH1963 Offline

Silver Subscriber
MH1963  Offline

Silver Subscriber
M

Kentucky
Thanks! That is very helpful.

It sounds like it is probably 'close enough' to work. My scanner accommodates 8.5 x 14, but given a .5" margin on most music, I can probably work with that.

I will watch for the announcement of new models. Although I don't need all the fancy new features, if I am buying, I may as well get the 'current' model. My present iPad is an iPad 3 and quite old, so due for replacement.

I think thatan additional benefit of going electronic will be that it will be that it will be easier to keep up pieces I have studied I the past. Presently I would need to dig through piles of paper and books to refresh my memory on older pieces, and so I am rather inconsistent with that. I won't miss the piles of stuff around my piano.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A
[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli
Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2647869
05/28/17 01:54 PM
05/28/17 01:54 PM
Bellevue, WA
B
benjamink Offline
benjamink  Offline
B

Bellevue, WA
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...eet-music-reader-shipping-september-1600 . It's a different price point certainly, but if you are considering spending $1000 for an ipad + foot pedal, it is probably worth bringing up.

FWIW - I've used the big ipad pro and a foot pedal for about a year for reading chamber music - mostly trying to minimize the impact of the many page turns by using the foot pedal. In all honesty, I vastly prefer physical books with the exception of page turns assisted by the foot pedal. The page size is close enough to the original after cropping that print size is a non issue. My main reasons for preferring a physical book are:
- The glare/screen from the ipad is not nearly as easy on my eyes as a regular book. I think this would only really be solved by a backlit eink solution (a paperwhite kindle). The link above mentions the $1600 pdf reader has eink, but says nothing about being backlit
- It takes time to transfer scores and crop the pages for forscore - compared to the hundreds of books I already own and can just pick up off a shelf. A lot of the sheet music I own would require scanning as it isn't on IMSLP or available digitally
- I like being able to view two pages at once. This is particularly useful when a repeat goes back from the right page the left page - in the ipad this requires a few additional page turns
- I've never completely managed to adjust to turning pages with my foot. I've tried a few different foot pedals, and I usually accidentally turn two pages instead of one, about once per 30 minutes or so. Meaning, if I'm performing I usually do this a few times per performance
- I find it easier/faster to write/erase comments in books than the ipad

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2647942
05/28/17 05:27 PM
05/28/17 05:27 PM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
I like the looks of that - just might have to try it.
I tried using two iPad pros side-by-side, but it didn't work that well for me. Plus, I've never been comfortable with the foot pedal - I prefer to just touch the screen.
Big question for me is how good the stylus is. I love the apple pencil.

Re: iPad Pro & Forscore - your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2648004
05/28/17 08:10 PM
05/28/17 08:10 PM
Western PA
doctor S Offline
doctor S  Offline

Western PA
I just tried performing Beethoven op 2 no 3 2 pages at once (Forscore, Ipad Pro horizontal, no foot pedal.) Worked fine until the repeat in the 3rd movement: mixed up the direction of "finger sweeps". Swiping the screen is WAY faster than a paper page turn. The ideal would be an 18 inch screen, 2-page (or 2 Ipad Pros $$ !!) Screen reflection from a window in the room was distracting (fix with a satin screen protector?) Doesn't help that I can't sightread.

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
iPad Pro & forScore – your experience/recommendations? [Re: cathryn999] #2729806
04/18/18 06:41 AM
04/18/18 06:41 AM
9190 Offline
9190  Offline

I would like to share my experience in tagging my sheet music in forScore.

I appreciate and like very much that it's possible to rename tags' fields. I found my perfect solution:

• Title

• Performer (was Composer)¹

• Composer (was Genre)

• Tags (here I will put Genre, mood, event like Wedding, Christmas etc.)

• Source (was Labels). Will be very useful to choose/play/search pieces by books, websites where the pieces were bought etc.

• Difficulty (was Rating) – I need more accurate evaluation system for difficulty than 3 circles. So I choose 5-star system instead of 3 circles.

• Rating (was Difficulty). 3 circle system is completely enough for me to mark how I like the piece. Pieces which would have less than 1 circle (= 1 or 2 stars in 5-star system) just will never appear in my forScore Library. But even if they would, I just would leave them without Rating.

• Time

• Tonality (was Key)

¹ Why I chose Performer instead of Composer? Some examples. For most people names like Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus don't say much. The same with Rudolf Schenker. First two are founders and composers in ABBA. The second is founder and composer in "Scorpions". Maybe Robert Kelly will say something? Not for me. But he composed the famous song "You are Not Alone" for Michael Jackson. And it's all like that in pop/rock etc. music, where composers' name in most cases don't say anything for most people, but performer says everything. People ask to play something from Céline Dion, not the composers, who wrote songs for her. Bob Thiele and George David Weiss wrote "What a Wonderful World" – the song that Louis Armstrong sang. Paul de Senneville composed "Ballade pour Adeline" which I know from childhood thanks to Richard Clayderman. And so on. That's why I much prefer to see in the lists and in the top central panel Performer instead of Composer next to title. Only this second field is always shown next to titles in the various Library lists and in the main top panel, no matter how you name it. That's why I renamed this particular field from "Composer" to "Performer" instead of renaming some other fields (for instance "Genre" to "Performer" etc.). And for classic music I just put composer's name in both fields: Performer and Composer.

So, this adapted tagging system works perfectly for me. Sure, it won't for everyone, that's why I wrote from start that I appreciate that it's possible to rename tags' fields. But maybe for someone some moments will be usefull.

KAWAI MP7; K&M 18953; Wenger Preface Conductor's Stand
PreSonus Eris E8; Ultimate Support MS-100B; K&M 16085 Headphone holder
iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) + forScore + Apple Pencil + AirTurn PEDpro
K&M 12295 lamp; Gator GKC 88 Keyboard Cover | My photos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dwight piano
by WY2298. 11/12/18 05:23 PM
Ydp-143 and iPhone - what can I do?
by Chilligirl. 11/12/18 04:44 PM
'Un hiver à Majorque"
by dolce sfogato. 11/12/18 04:33 PM
Same notes on different Clef - D4
by XxKeldecknightxX. 11/12/18 04:31 PM
Need advice on 2017 Seiler ED186 vs 2012 Schimmel C189
by Joe Apisarn. 11/12/18 02:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,303
Posts2,760,531
Members91,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission