2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Bronze Subscriber
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
V
is there any different types of hammers that we can buy on the market?.like hard hammers vs soft hammers?

becasue my piano have a hammer set called ROYAL GEORGE .and my piano tech says it was made in uk but it sounds bright compared to mellow tone.is that something to do with hammer set ?.next i would like to buy a brand new hammer set just to check whether the sound will go mellow ?.last time i reshaped the hammer now the sound has become soft not like a metallic.but i wonder if i replace the complete set will that make a improvement?.my current hammer set looks brand new and no deep groves or any discoloration in it there are some hammer set like abbel or renner which should i use if i replace to get a mellow tone

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Royal George was the brand name of felt produced by one of the great woollen mills in England. You can read a history of the company here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/fedc2aae-bf2f-4241-ac2c-52f024812016

Before considering new hammers, you should get your piano technician to assess the condition of the hammers, and to advise on voicing. You mention that they look new, so if they are not grooved, they won't need filing. Some needling, or steam voicing, might be all that is needed to make a huge difference to the tone.

What is the brand name on your piano? Royal George felt was used on piano hammers in pianos made in some other countries.

V
Bronze Subscriber
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
V
it is a samick su 121 made in korea its not a very good piano i think but its all i can find for that price range laugh

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, I knew one of the Korean makes used hammers with Royal George felt, but couldn't recall whether it was Young Chang or Samick.

Probably the hammers will be able to be voiced to be more mellow and softer. You should not go to the expense of replacing them on that piano. It is a costly and skilled job.

Last edited by David Boyce; 04/16/18 10:17 AM.
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
The problem often comes, not so much what KIND of felt it is, but HOW it is treated in the hammer making process. High production facilities tend to use significant heat in the process to speed things up and produce greater consistency from hammer to hammer. All well and good except that the heat destroys the resiliency of the felt which later makes voicing difficult since it does not respond (to our typical voicing techniques) as we expect it to. Excessive brightness is a common complaint with hammers that have been overheated. You may find it necessary to repeat the voicing on a very regular basis. Better to do that though than replace the hammers on that kind of piano.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission