2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
63 members (David Lai, David B, Bill McKaig,RPT, Cudo, CyberGene, CajunJ, 15 invisible), 578 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My Piano Movie
Philm35 #2728628 04/12/18 10:03 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Here are my thoughts regarding piano technicians knowing how to play a piano, or not. If they can tune, they can play at least a little, and likely much better than they realize. I would also imagine there are, however, some piano technicians who can tune well, but perhaps can't play much of anything coherently, other than the intervals that they need to play in order to tune. They have to at least be able to play certain notes, and combinations of notes and intervals. Actually, playing the piano involves playing the right notes in specific combinations and intervals at the right time. smile

Also, there can be a tendency for someone who doesn't play the piano all that well to say they can't play when they can actually play a little at least (ask me how I know this... smile ). But it is possible for a piano tech to not be able to play the piano very well, yet, they may be excellent piano tuners/technicians.

Also, it has been my observation, since I've become interested in pianos, and been a member of Piano World, that, quite often, individuals who are/were formally trained classical pianists to become piano technicians, piano dealers, piano salespeople or piano teachers (full-time) because they may not earn enough income as a concert pianist to be a full-time concert pianists. Hence, they have to supplement their income in these other areas, whether part time or full time. I suppose not every highly trained and skilled concert pianist can earn enough money playing concerts or playing for money. I'm sure there are other jobs where pianists can earn enough money to make a living being full time pianists.

So, to recap, many piano technicians are/were also formally trained and skilled pianists (who also learned to be technicians); many piano dealers are/were formally trained and skilled pianists; and, of course, many piano teachers are/were formally trained and skilled classical pianists. These individuals may well supplement their income by performing, but their primary day jobs are working as technicians, dealers, salespeople or piano teachers; all of which are noble, respectable and rewarding occupations.

Again, this is just a personal observation and an opinion.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Philm35 #2728772 04/13/18 11:42 AM
C
C
Just adding myself to the list of people who LOVED this video. Thank you for doing it and making it freely available.

My blog, "The Music Box" - http://castanea-d.blogspot.com/
Philm35 #2728801 04/13/18 02:04 PM
D
D
Really nice film, thanks for sharing it.

Philm35 #2728847 04/13/18 04:45 PM
Online Content

Terrific film! One comment by the tech struck a chord with me. In describing pianos he said: "They're also beautiful if they're beautiful to look at." I definitely agree. I think too many people poo-poo the furniture aspect of pianos or think that anyone who likes this aspect can't be a serious musician. I think many serious musicians and amateurs would buy pianos that had beautiful cases if that usually didn't add significantly to the cost. Since most people have to make compromises when buying a piano, some who would like a beautiful case choose to forgo that aspect.

A beautifully finished ebonized piano can be beautiful also. I first realized this when I went to the now closed Boesendorfer showroom in NYC where the majority of pianos where black.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/18 04:45 PM.
Philm35 #2728862 04/13/18 06:49 PM
P
P
Great video...well done!

Brent Musgrave
Piano Tuner-Technician
Philm35 #2729275 04/15/18 11:14 PM
Doctor of pianos! Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Piano.Brazil
1987 Baldwin SD10, 2013 Mason&Hamlin BB, 2007 Euterpe/Bechstein 160, 1924 Hoepfner Upright
Philm35 #2729411 04/16/18 02:06 PM
I finally got around to watching this yesterday. It was a lovely, thoughtful piece; full of the the things that are best about documentary film-making. It should have a wider audience than us.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
Philm35 #2730727 04/21/18 10:51 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Philm35
Thanks for having another look to check for red frames... I just watched it again on my Mac, and didn't see anything. Hope the new version fixed the problem.

Sorry for the slow feedback. The updated video looks good.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your family's horrible struggle with cancer. Nobody should have to go through anything like that.

Thanks for the kind words.

in Nevin's defense, I know he his humble enough that he would never compare himself to an actual medical doctor.

I definitely got that. I liked the philm and the technician.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Philm35 #2730736 04/22/18 12:01 AM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
The doctor reference has become more or less a colloquialism in American language. We have "rug doctors", "house doctors", "tax doctors"... doctors in just about every kind of consumer business... but I don't think anyone actually claims to have degree of skill and knowledge we see in medical doctors.

I get that. I probably didn't articulate my thoughts very well, and it's a subtle distinction. I wasn't so much trying to defend doctors, or decry the "piano doctor" analogy as I was agitated by the comment that choosing a doctor and choosing a "piano doctor" is essentially the same. Let me see if I can put it into context:

• If my piano spent 71 days total at the "piano hospital" over 18 months, then I would have replaced it.
  • If my piano had wanted me to stay overnights at the "piano hospital" with it, I would have said "no."
  • If it required herculean effort to get my piano out of bed and to the "piano doctor" for appointments and treatments, I wouldn't bother.
  • If my piano had to be at the "piano hospital" every morning for weeks on end, for antibiotic infusions, iron infusions, etc, I wouldn't have bothered.
  • If my piano needed countless emergency room visits at the "piano hospital," and if I lived in constant fear of the next ER visit, I would just replace it.
  • If my piano was in constant pain and discomfort, I would have put it out of its misery.

In other words, when your piano is seriously ill, you just replace it. When it's your loved one, you move heaven and earth to get them the treatment they need. That choice is not the same.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Philm35 #2730870 04/22/18 01:17 PM
B
B
Great Short Feature, Phil!

I really love how you captured the lonely aspect of the piano tuner.

Very beautiful concert hall.

Brent

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,843
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission