Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (anotherscott, ando, carlspost, aphexdisklavier, akc42, AlphaBravoCharlie, 26 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: huaidongxi] #2728739
04/13/18 09:39 AM
04/13/18 09:39 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
disagree about going measure by measure because phrase by phrase or harmonic group by group is more musical.

Normally I would agree but polyphonic music is different. The phrases begin and end at different points for each voice and, except for the simplest minuets, there is rarely a natural synchronization point for all voices. So, yes, when you practice hands separately you can go for a full phrase but when you put hands together the music keeps going all the time either in one voice or the other and you have to decide to stop somewhere. My teacher recommended working on Bach in one measure units and I find that it really works.

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Mozart Sonata in G major, K. 283
Moszkowski Etude op. 91 no. 18
Chopin Nocturne in C-sharp minor, op. posth.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: ebonykawai] #2728750
04/13/18 10:33 AM
04/13/18 10:33 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
Playing separate hands for voices works well when you have a 2-part piece (L plays 1 note at a time, R plays 1 note at a time). For more advanced pieces I'd normally play the R part first to hear what the melody sounds like and fill in the L part a few bars at a time. If I get stuck putting the L together somewhere I'll work on the L separately and then put the L in slowly.

A typical 2-part piece that comes to mind is the Fr. Suite #3 (BWV814) Minuet & Trio. The Minuet has 2 parts with the L playing 1 note and the R playing 1 note. When you comes to the Trio you find that it has 3. The voice in the middle is usually the problem. You have to try to see if you can play the middle part with either the L or the R for the whole piece. Some notes in the middle part may be too high or too low for 1 hand you need to use the other hand.

You also find pieces with short notes over a long note with the same hand. In some case you'd need to change finger for the long note to keep it pressed down while you add the short notes.

Many of the pieces from the Bach notebook for Anna M is easy to sight-read. Originally Bach gave his wife a notebook with just 4 pieces in it. The rest were pieces copied into the notebook by hand. The ones without a BWV # were written by another unnamed composer. There are pieces you find the R playing the same notes as the L an octave higher. I'd read 1 part and play the other hand by ear.

Last edited by thepianoplayer416; 04/13/18 10:46 AM.
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: Keselo] #2728761
04/13/18 11:03 AM
04/13/18 11:03 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Keselo
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
.........Anyone else suffering?
Oh, all the time. But right now I'm finding Bach a walk in the park compared to the Bartok Mikrokosmos pieces I'm working on. cry

Which pieces are you learning? I love Mikrokosmos! I've started working on the third book two months ago myself.
I'm working out of Volume 4. For whatever reason, that was the first volume I purchased and my teacher started me on it. The pieces were written for teaching purposes and become progressively harder as you move through the volumes. A quick glance at a piece and it looks simple, until you notice (for example, in #105) the bass and treble clefs are in different keys and your hands are playing on top of each other. Not a lot of discernible melody to help you along. But each one has something to teach that we as students need to learn. Bottom line: I'm not loving them but I am learning from them.

Bach has helped me immensely. I like the French Suites more the Inventions. The inventions are polyphonic in nature and as Qazsedcft mentions above, they rarely come together in a natural synchronization point. The French Suites are a mix of polyphony and homophony and I'm enjoying them, especially when I get to the point of being able to play them with even a smidgen of tempo. It can take quite some time to get to that point!

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: Qazsedcft] #2728764
04/13/18 11:18 AM
04/13/18 11:18 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
disagree about going measure by measure because phrase by phrase or harmonic group by group is more musical.

Normally I would agree but polyphonic music is different. The phrases begin and end at different points for each voice and, except for the simplest minuets, there is rarely a natural synchronization point for all voices. So, yes, when you practice hands separately you can go for a full phrase but when you put hands together the music keeps going all the time either in one voice or the other and you have to decide to stop somewhere. My teacher recommended working on Bach in one measure units and I find that it really works.
This is a very good point. Knowing the basic concepts of monophony, polyphony, and homophony can be very helpful in organizing the music in your head and in your practice.

Monophony, polyphony, and homophony

Last edited by Stubbie; 04/13/18 02:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: JoBert] #2728773
04/13/18 11:48 AM
04/13/18 11:48 AM
pianopi Offline
pianopi  Offline

Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by pianopi
You're probably going through too much at once. Do one to two measures a week or a fortnight or however quick or long it takes you to get those couple of measures under control. Cover up everything else with paper, sticky-notes etc. until you get those measures working. Then reward yourself with 1 to 2 more notes. And so on.

I accept that some people are fine with such an approach or maybe even enjoy it. Personally, I’d rather have a dentist appointment than learn piano in that fashion (if applied to a whole piece, as described here, and not just to a trouble spot - for the latter I too see the merit in this approach). I’d sell my piano and take up something more enjoyable and exciting (idk - maybe working as a tax consultant?) if that were the only way to learn piano. wink

Bach is full of gems. If you go at it like a steroidal mechanical shovel at an archeological dig, you're going to find you've missed or destroyed the delicately brilliant bits. And you want to hold on to those little things for a little time so as to appreciate the beauty and be able to communicate that to others.

It does take some maturing to approach music this way.

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: SwissMS] #2728774
04/13/18 11:53 AM
04/13/18 11:53 AM
pianopi Offline
pianopi  Offline

Originally Posted by SwissMS
... I have a 3 voiced fugue Gigue that I have been working on for eight months, and I am only now getting the voices expressed the way that I want! That's Bach! However, I think it does wonders for your articulation and control.

I absolutely adore the Gigue you're working on! I am just starting it myself, and am really looking forward to hearing your results when (if?) you record and post them. You must be having a heavenly time!

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: Qazsedcft] #2728775
04/13/18 11:58 AM
04/13/18 11:58 AM
pianopi Offline
pianopi  Offline

Yes. All in good time, though. You can't get a good sense of the shape if you miss half the articulation of the first few notes.

Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: ebonykawai] #2728797
04/13/18 01:48 PM
04/13/18 01:48 PM
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Dr. Rogers  Offline

Texas
ebonykawai, may I ask, which Bach pieces are you working on? Whatever they are, keep at them. I think they're worth it, and so many composers and musicians (much greater than I) over the years have thought so as well.

I hated Bach as a youngster, but after not touching his music with a ten foot pole for 20 years or so, I found that I love it.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: ebonykawai] #2728804
04/13/18 02:15 PM
04/13/18 02:15 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
[quote=ebonykawai]So Bach is driving me crazy and I have to say, it takes an awful lot of fortitude to stick with that torture long enough for my fingers and brain to kick in.

Great way to put it.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: ebonykawai] #2728845
04/13/18 04:37 PM
04/13/18 04:37 PM
UK
M
Malone Offline
Malone  Offline
M

UK
...my inspiration is Marie Curie, how long she distilled and extracted raw ore, tonnes of it for years, before refining enough pure radium (a matter of milligrams) to demonstrate it was a distinct and unique element.

Don't forget that it killed her in the end....

Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: huaidongxi] #2728871
04/13/18 07:51 PM
04/13/18 07:51 PM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

my inspiration is Marie Curie, how long she distilled and extracted raw ore, tonnes of it for years, before refining enough pure radium (a matter of milligrams) to demonstrate it was a distinct and unique element

She was really one of the most radiant thinkers of her generation. One of the great luminaries.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Playing piano is not for the faint hearted [Re: ebonykawai] #2728882
04/13/18 09:36 PM
04/13/18 09:36 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
She really was. She actually inspired me to get my chemistry degree many, many years ago. Her biography is wonderful. ❤️

Lisa

Currently working on Bach 2 part inventions, Chopin mazurkas, and some Keith Snell Level 5 stuffs, lol. smile
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Used N3 vs. New N1X
by Pete14. 08/25/19 06:33 AM
Eyes wide shut
by Simon_b. 08/25/19 04:31 AM
Casio GP-300 or GP-400?
by Tenor1. 08/25/19 12:30 AM
Brodmann or Palatino?
by Janette C. 08/24/19 11:34 PM
For those good at playing by ear
by writebynight. 08/24/19 10:08 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,717
Posts2,862,275
Members94,239
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission