2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Hi

If I was to spend a little more than the current KDP110 that I have which DP would you advise to go for?

A CA48 or CN27 or CN37? I know the 37 has loads more features but I'm not a big fan of the big display and want to play piano only pretty much so a lot of the voices will be wasted on me.

Any ideas please?

Thank you
James

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Its almost impossible to advise you since your own trade-offs for money against extra function (and I mean that in the broad sense of the word, rather than just the functions of the piano) it gives you is yours.

Looking at UK prices, there is a fairly even progression - KDP110->CN27->CN37->CA48
Looking at the specs then the main differences seem to be Actions (RHC-->RH3->RH3->GFC)
They all have 2x20W output but Speaker Size varies (2x12cm, 2x12cm, 2x13cm+2x(8cmx12cm), 2x13cm+2x5cm)

Apart from actions, the CN37 seems to have more capability than the CA48 (and seems to be 256 note polyphony rather than 192 - but I am not sure if thats much of an issue).

I have tried the GFC action in the CA48 and its very good - almost as good as the GF2 action in my CA67 (which I chose over the CA48, because of action and because of display). The CA48 has a very minimal display (which you say you like) as you press a function button and then one of the piano keys to select all the non standard function.

I haven't tried the RH actions so can't comment on those - I was specifically looking for long distance to pivot point, after a bad experience with another brand where it wasn't long, so I could play keys close to the back easier so didn't really consider the RH actions. The CA48 has that distance, but is the most expensive.

[Linked Image]

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks akc42

Yes, that's the thing I've heard that the RH actions seem to have a problem with clicky keys after periods of time, but I could be wrong.

My experience with the KDP110 has this, so would rather stay away from them if that really is the case.

The only CA model with the GFC action is the CA48 although if I could I would go for the CA58 for the extra few hundred pounds. :s

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JamesJones

The only CA model with the GFC action is the CA48 although if I could I would go for the CA58 for the extra few hundred pounds. :s

Not sure I understand you, looking that the specs the GFC is also in the CA58 - I think I commented in another thread that I paid about the same for my CA67 as the the CA58 appears to be (Bonners music in UK where I bought my piano is not quoting a price yet but I have seen a Euro price) and that they appear to have very similar functionality as one another, but you loose the GFII action but gain bluetooth (which doesn't matter to me).

The CA58 has much more powerful amps than the CA48 but it also has quite a large side panel with all the buttons.

[Linked Image]

J
OP Offline
J
Sorry for the confusion. I meant the Ca48 is prob the only one with the GFC that I could afford.

I really like all the extra functionality of the ca58 and if I could afford it would prob not mind the big LCD panel. But I prefer an understated look. Which was why I went for the kdp110.

I suppose my question is. Is the ca48 a worthy upgrade to the kdp110?

It has better speakers in that the tweeters fire forward. And better key action etc.

I guess I'm more worried about whether the Grand Feel Compact has the same clicky key problems as the CN's or KDP, ES's that I've been reading about?

Is it just a pot luck game because if it is I'll try another Kdp110. I just wouldn't want for the clicks to start again outside of my return period and have to constantly get it fixed when people say there is no fix. :s

Last edited by JamesJones; 04/10/18 07:57 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello James,

I already made this suggestion in a separate thread, but the CA48 is definitely a worthy upgrade over the KDP110 - one of the most realistic keyboard actions available, good sound quality, and a 4 speaker delivery system.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks James smile

So basically if I were to just want a discrete DP without a big display on and don't require all the extra voices (as I will play the piano sounds mainly anyway) go for this one?

The CA58 would still be within my price range but if I was happy with the KDP110 until it got clicky then the CA48 will def be better? The progressive harmonic imaging is better for starters isn't it?
So should the sound be better anyway even without the front facing tweeters/4 speaker setup.

The CA58 seems like the better option overall but I always feel like if more voices are added somehitng has to give, I'm sure that isn't true though. But not a huge fan of the display on the side as it will be in living room. It's just that I've just seen people mention that the Ca48 is dead in the water ignore the CA58 is coming out for such a close price range. (Looks like £450-ish more)

Why such a huge price difference though between the kdp110 and CA48 anyway?

Last edited by JamesJones; 04/11/18 07:02 PM.
Hello James,

So basically if I were to just want a discrete DP without a big display on and don't require all the extra voices (as I will play the piano sounds mainly anyway) go for this one?

Yes, given your requirements, I believe the CA48 is a strong contender, however I recommend that you play-test a range of different instruments before making your decision.

The CA58 would still be within my price range but if I was happy with the KDP110 until it got clicky then the CA48 will def be better? The progressive harmonic imaging is better for starters isn't it?
So should the sound be better anyway even without the front facing tweeters/4 speaker setup.

Yes, the CA48 has more advanced sound sampling and a superior speaker setup compared to the KDP110. However, the CA58 is another step-up above that, and then the CA78 and CA98 are further steps above. Essentially, the more you spend, the more realistic the playing experience becomes.

The CA58 seems like the better option overall but I always feel like if more voices are added somehitng has to give, I'm sure that isn't true though.

That's a fair assumption, but in the case of the CA58, more sample memory is available, allowing for a broader selection of sounds.

...but not a huge fan of the display on the side as it will be in living room.

I don't personally find the display to be overly large or objective.

It's just that I've just seen people mention that the Ca48 is dead in the water ignore the CA58 is coming out for such a close price range. (Looks like £450-ish more)

May I ask where you read "the Ca48 is dead in the water"? I honestly don't believe this to be the case. The CA48 is the introductory CA model, the CA98 is the flaghship, and the CA58 and CA78 occupy the lower and upper-middle two spots - in my opinion, this is quite a clear line-up.

Why such a huge price difference though between the kdp110 and CA48 anyway?

The CA48 is better than the KDP110 in every department (keyboard action, piano sampling, speaker system, features, cabinet).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
OP Offline
J
Hi James

Many thanks for the quick reply smile

I'm edging more towards the Ca58 now after looking more closely at the display. It doesn't seem too obtrusive and reading the manual seems to have lots of benefits.

So I'm considering waiting for the 58 as it's an investment after all and it will prob work out £600 more.

I'm just surprised that the 58 has all these extra features over the 48 for a relatively small price bump. Is there any reason it's the last of this years CA's to hit the market?

P.s. I read the dead in water comment on the CA58 Announcement thread you posted - wasn't those exact words. Comments were more in line with "out of date" and "obsolete" to be honest.

When all is said and done and I could scavenge the extra for the 58 is it a fair price to pay for the jump? USB and Line out is wasted on me though.

Last edited by JamesJones; 04/11/18 10:17 PM.
Hello James,

I'm just surprised that the 58 has all these extra features over the 48 for a relatively small price bump. Is there any reason it's the last of this years CA's to hit the market?

I'm not entirely sure...maybe it's just the way the product development was scheduled.

When all is said and done and I could scavenge the extra for the 58 is it a fair price to pay for the jump? USB and Line out is wasted on me though.

If you can stretch your budget to the CA58, I would strongly consider it, yes. However, as I mentioned previously, I would also recommend that you play-test all of the models you're considering (including other manufacturer's instruments) to make sure that the instrument is the right match for you. As for USB and Line In/Line Out, even if you believe you will not use these features, they're still nice to have as "just in case". If you ever decide to record yourself, make a CD for a loved one, or upload some videos to YouTube, I believe you'll be thankful for those additional features.

Kind regards,
James
x

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
USB and Line out is wasted on me though.

There are two types of USB connection. One is a midi port to connect the keyboard to the computer. I use this to connect to Piano Marvel (an online teaching application). I also feed to line out from my laptop into the line in port on the piano so the sound from Piano Marvel mixes with the Piano (which I then play through headphone - although sometimes I am using the speakers). But even if you don't do that there are many other cases where a midi keyboard connected to a computer is useful - see all the discussion on VSTs in this forum for just one example.

The other usb connection is for a USB memory stick. I didn't think I would use it when I bought the piano, but I soon found it invaluable

I regularly record things, and then convert to audio (on to usb) - for two purposes.

1. To provide a record of progress on a piece I am polishing (Beethoven Sonata). I have recordings going back nearly two months
2. To provide a way of recording a piece for the 40 pieces a year challenge (see the Adult Beginners Forum).

I also load midi files found on the internet into the piano via the usb to play them back.

[Linked Image]

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for replies guys smile

I think I'm leaning heavily into the CA58 at this point as its an onvestment after all. I wouldn't be planning on replacing it at all unless I won the lottery so bang for buck the 58 seems to out perform the 48, at least on paper.

As for the USB/Lines - I guess at some point I may use them so yes a good to have, I agree.

J
J
I also recommend to check if there are any CA17, or when leaning towards CA58, if there is any CA67 around, either any remaining stock, demo instruments or in a good condition on the second-hand market. I find these models delivering a lot compared to their prices before their discontinuatuon. The market can be completely different based on your location...

Kawai KDP-90
J
OP Offline
J
To be honest, being brand new to the piano. I'm using apps like Flowkey etc to get me on my feet so Bluetooth is important to me as I'm linking up to the iPad.

Unless either of these models offer the cabled version of Bluetooth via the iPads camera adapter?

Last edited by JamesJones; 04/13/18 09:01 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Unless either of these models offer the cabled version of Bluetooth via the iPads camera adapter?

You can retrofit Bluetooth MIDI to any device that has standard MIDI in and out (i.e. not only USB MIDI) by using this relatively cheap Yamaha adapter:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_md_bt01_wireless_midi_adapter.htm

That would for example work with the CA67.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yes, that will work.

The QuiccoSound mi.1 can also add the same functionality.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Add to the list of suggestions the Yamaha UD-BT01 adapter. There are alternative brands on the market .
https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ud_bt01_wireless_midi_adapter.htm

The MD-BT01 adapter described by JoBert connects to the standard MIDI in and out ports and provides MIDI over Bluetooth .

The UD-BT01 adapter has the same functionality as the MD-BT01 but it connects to the USB-Host port instead. This may prove useful since some keyboards lack MIDI connectors but most have an USB-Host port.

With any of these adapters you can universally connect the keyboard via BT to any BT-enabled external device without the hassle of cables and extra adapters.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys for the advice smile

I'm still sitting on the CA58. Waiting patiently for it to come out with a firm price.

Any ideas anyone?

A
A
Why not a CA67?

A
A
For JoBert and Kawai James, but for others as well, a question: bluetooth midi adapter works also on Windows 10 or on iOS only?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission