Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Cudo, CyberGene, Brahms4, Animisha, Chopin Acolyte, ando, 15 invisible), 1,044 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726943
04/06/18 11:48 AM
04/06/18 11:48 AM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
RICH!

HI!

I’m still out here. I’m glad you are, too.

I have fond memories of visiting Cunningham’s and especially of Curry’s Baldwin which was for sale at the time. There's a good chance I would have chosen Curry’s piano except for two things: It was black (I wanted mahogany) and it was too big (long). So Curry's Baldwin (and that one other piano that got away) was not to be. I am Very Happy with "The One" I finally purchased. She sounds wonderful even when she's out of tune and I've never known her to have a "bad hair day". (Was it Pique who first used that term?)

Re: humidifiers: I usually refilled the Air-O-Swiss once a day, in extreme cold two times. I’m surprised the water supply in the humidifier consoles at your showroom didn’t last overnight. That’s a serious disadvantage. It sounds like the machines do a fine job of getting humidity out - just needs a larger water reservoir so it can keep on working without human intervention - at least enough water supply to keep it going overnight. Sheesh!

The system that hooks up to a forced air heating system sounds good, but we have hot water (not steam) radiators so a forced air system is not an option for us.

I’m glad your pianos are happy, again! Humidity here in our livingroom is hovering around 30% with the hot plate and pan of water. GADS. I need to get going and order a new humidifier...

Later!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726944
04/06/18 11:50 AM
04/06/18 11:50 AM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
mivaldes:

Thanks for joining in the conversation. You talk about high humidity in South Atlanta during the summer.

I’m in the Boston area and humidity at times gets surprisingly high here during the summer, but I have not done anything to combat it. I’ve considered buying a dehumidifier but I hear they’re noisy and one more thing to fuss with so haven’t bought one. My husband always says he thinks my piano likes high humidity - something to do with the high humidity in the shop when we bought “her”.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726946
04/06/18 11:54 AM
04/06/18 11:54 AM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
BruceD:

Thanks for the tip. :-)

When I mentioned ”lugging” humidifiers back and forth to the sink, I was thinking about when it's time to clean them.

One of Boneco's air washers is a new model that uses a drum and a mat that wraps around the drum. Cleaning can be accomplished by washing certain parts of the unit in a dishwasher and another part in a washing machine. Perhaps more convenient in some ways but then I started to think about that. Hmmm.... you'd think there would be an easier way.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726953
04/06/18 12:44 PM
04/06/18 12:44 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland

Originally Posted by Jeanne W
KurtZ:

Thanks for the info. I read with interest your comments about the steamer type humdifier.

There are different types of humidifiers. I’m guessing the Air-O-Swiss you had in the past that left white dust was a steamer type. I've read reviews about steamer type humidifiers leaving a white mist. The Air-O-Swiss I have is an air washer type - they work on a different principle. I believe it is impossible for this type of humidifier to ever leave white dust and I certainly have never experienced that with my Air-O-Swiss.

I’m partial to the “air washer” type humdifier. I don’t know if I could get used to seeing steam being released in the house.

Ah, just so, an air washer type. I know those as Ventas. No, my Air-o-Swiss was an ultrasonic cool or warm mist. I looked at air washer (rotating disk) types but they were awfully expensive and didn't have a humidistat to control the humidity. I understand that as the air takes moisture the evaporation would naturally slow but the evaportation seemed to be so, I don't know, passive? or so slow that it seemed no different from adding a couple of ficus to the room. I also think the claims of it also being an air cleaner to be somewhat specious. I not knocking them of course since I have no first hand experience with them but rather just explaining why I didn't try one.

What do you do with an air washer if you decide you want more or less humidity?

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: KurtZ] #2726960
04/06/18 01:28 PM
04/06/18 01:28 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by KurtZ

[...]I also think the claims of it also being an air cleaner to be somewhat specious. I not knocking them of course since I have no first hand experience with them but rather just explaining why I didn't try one.
[...]Kurt

Kurt:

I think there is some truth to the air cleaner claim. When I clean my Ventas (which I try to remember to do once a month) there is some discolouration of the remaining water in the unit, suggesting some kind of particulate matter has been drawn into the water. One of my units that is in the hall leading to the master bedroom actually has bits of lint collected in it when I am ready to clean it.

The newer and (alas!) even more expensive units do have a humidifier control that activates and deactivates the system when required. For me, though, those units are prohibitively expensive. My older Ventas work just fine in keeping the humidity level controlled and, as I suggest, trapping a certain amount of air-borne dust.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: KurtZ] #2726965
04/06/18 01:45 PM
04/06/18 01:45 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Hi, KurtZ:

Some of the air washer models do now come with humidistats to automatically turn on and off to maintain a certain level of humidity. (Hey, I just saw one with remote control and WIFI.) You're right, air washers are expensive.

You ask: "What do you do with an air washer if you decide you want more or less humidity?"

What I've always done is manually turn my Air-O-Swiss on and off throughout the day. A lot of times I could just let it alone, however, and humidity would hover from 34% to 37%. I think if I'd just leave it alone and let it run all of the time the humidity in our livingroom would vary 10% or so, which I would think is not too terribly bad for a piano.

I'm now considering buying a Venta. It will cost less to maintain and I think I can continue to use the Bacteriostat water treatment water additive in place of the Venta additive. The Venta may in someways also be easier to clean than the Boneco. I think I'll need to buy the larger Venta Model LW45 that humidifies 600 sq feet. I'm hoping it's not too heavy/bulky to handle for me to handle when carrying it back and forth every 2 weeks or so for cleaning it and refilling with fresh water. I've measured it - it will fit in our kitchen sink for cleaning.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726972
04/06/18 02:12 PM
04/06/18 02:12 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
I had a Venta - recommended to me by a violinist. It was a lovely little simple German machine, very quiet and it did clean the air at the same time as helping with humidity. I was impressed by the machine: the air did seem cleaner to breathe, and the Venta did raise the humidity in a small room. Now comes the "however." It cost about $400CDN (the mid-size version, suitable for under 400 square feet), and eventually it started making clicking noises and cost me another $100 to $200CDN in occasional repairs. The repairs never worked for more than a few weeks, and eventually I just unplugged the darn thing. I'd say Ventas are lovely when they work, and if you accept that they are overpriced.

Like others here, I have a large, boxlike Bemis from Sears that does a fine job in my piano studio for much less money. It has lasted for many years. This year I have also added a humidity system to the forced-air furnace, and coupled with the Bemis, I can finally get my piano studio up to 40 or 45 percent of humidity. (With the Bemis alone, I could only get to 30 to 35 percent RH.) The humidity system on the furnace cost about $400, and is not sufficient on its own for my piano needs, but clearly it has helped a little.

The Bemis needs a new wick at least once a winter, for about $40, but otherwise has been maintenance free.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 04/06/18 02:18 PM.
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2726981
04/06/18 02:31 PM
04/06/18 02:31 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Hi, Peter.

I searched around on the internet for the Bemis model You and also, RealPlayer mentioned them. I can't find a company called Bemis and not having much luck.

I see offers for replacement parts - did another company take them over?

Does Bemis have an official website? Or is this manufactured by some other company?

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2726999
04/06/18 03:26 PM
04/06/18 03:26 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
I just want to move to a location with a more hospitable climate.

Learner
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727018
04/06/18 04:14 PM
04/06/18 04:14 PM
Newton, Massachusetts
Galahad Offline
Galahad  Offline

Newton, Massachusetts
Jeanne W -

In my house in Greater Boston with an open floor plan, I have used the console-style humidifier formerly known as Bemis for 10 years. The product is now known as the AirCare H12-300 HB, and you can buy it on Amazon for $110. The humidifier resides in the room where the piano is located, but it necessarily humidifies the entire house because of the open floor plan. I am able to maintain humidity in the piano room at between 36% and 40% very easily. I could achieve higher humidity, but excessive condensation on the windows upstairs occurs then, so I don't go above 40% during the heating season. In the depths of winter, I use 2.5 gal. of water each day. I also have an Air-O-Swiss unit, but I quit using it because the console humidifier is so effective, and much easier to clean.

Galahad

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727038
04/06/18 05:01 PM
04/06/18 05:01 PM
NYC
R
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R

NYC
Hi again Jeanne W -- and good to see you here again! As Galahad said, the Bemis may be found under the Essick (AirCare) brand. Mine is similar to his, H12-400, probably discontinued, but there are similar models available now, possibly improved.

I used to have trouble with positioning the float rod that indicates when the water is empty. This led to a common problem that made reviewers give it a poor review, namely that the fan could keep running when the water runs out. This year I fixed that problem by VERY CAREFULLY measuring the top and bottom points of the float rod so they are exactly aligned and move very freely. If not, the top of the float rod (which switches the fan off when the water is gone) can't switch off the fan. I put a piece of white tape inside the cabinet to show exactly where the wick should go (it can be a bit tricky) and its position can also mess with the rod position, as they are attached. This part of the unit could really have been designed better, and maybe they're improved it in newer models.

In my model there is a removable rectangular water tank that you carry by hand to the sink, and fill with the provided hose (best be sure the rubber fitting will fit over your faucet). It's 2-1/2 gallons, on the heavy side but any adult can lift it when full. You put it upside-down into the console unit. It's the chore of filling it twice a day that got to me...maybe I've just gotten lazy. And when I go out of town, if there's no one at home to do this, no humidifying goes on.

I didn't mind the cleaning so much. It helps that here in NYC we have soft water, so there's no scale buildup, but you still have to use a weak bleach solution to clean tank and reservoir. You do this every couple of weeks, ideally.

This is not a recommendation, but if it's easier to deal with than the unit you have, then maybe it's a good idea for you. I always read here on PW that the Venta was a clear favorite, but maybe it's not for everyone.

Best of luck!

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727047
04/06/18 05:15 PM
04/06/18 05:15 PM
B
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Bosendorff  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I use two Honeywell QuickSteam humidifiers in the winter, one in the piano room, the other in the bedroom. Both units have been working for years and they still do their job perfectly.

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727222
04/07/18 01:17 PM
04/07/18 01:17 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Galahad:

Thanks very much for the info about the AirCare unit.

I’m going to check the AirCare (Bemis) unit out online.

It's awesome that you're able to humidify such a large area of your house.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727229
04/07/18 01:35 PM
04/07/18 01:35 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Hi, RealPlayer.

Thank you for the detailed information about the Bemis and the fix for the float rod issue. It's not only helping me to be better informed and to decide which unit to buy, it's also super info for Bemis owners. I hope others who have this unit who may be experiencing this will find the info you posted.

Your Bemis has a 2 1/2 gallon tank? That’s 20 pounds if my calculations are correct. Eeesh! That's making me think twice. Thank you for pointing this out.

You mentioned when you go out of town no humidifying goes on. Some of companies have units with remote and WIFI (I think it was Boneco). Maybe that means some units can now be controlled remotely while away from home. (?) That’d be a great benefit, but if I’m recalling correctly, buying the one I glanced at briefly would be a good way to empty one's pocketbook/wallet of unnecessary cash: that unit cost over $900.

So...which to buy?

I'm considering options.

Decisions... Decisions...

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727232
04/07/18 01:37 PM
04/07/18 01:37 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Bosendorff:

Thank you for posting about the Honeywell Quick Steam. There are certainly a lot of choices. I'll check this one out.

Jeanne W

Last edited by Jeanne W; 04/07/18 01:38 PM. Reason: misspelling

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727330
04/07/18 07:29 PM
04/07/18 07:29 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
Jeanne, it is amusing to realize that Galahad, Joe RealPlayer, and I all have the same machine, a Bemis single tank floor model humidifier now rebranded as Essick. It's about the size of a large suitcase or an old tv set. You can buy it with fake wood panelling or fake brushed nickel, and my old one is basic black plastic throughout, but inside they are all simple devices: a fan, a block of dense corrugated paper acting as a wick, and a refillable tank. Mine is almost 20 years old, and working fine. I need to replace the wick once or twice a winter.

Joe is right that the on/off float gizmo is annoying and dorky, but you get used to it. Or you could just remove it altogether, and skip the auto shut-off idea. The refill hose is also annoying, but I think they have reengineered the tank to skip needing the hose. I must say that my machine is too loud on any fan setting except "low" - I would only use a higher setting if I were going out, and for some reason needed to crank up the humidity.

Here's the whole line-up of these larger floor models...
https://www.essickair.com/large-home-3000-sq-ft.html

My advice is to divide the square-footage-coverage advertised estimates by two, three, or even four. And read the reviews on Amazon to get a real owner feel for the various models.

I forgot to mention that I also have some experience with the last model, MA 1201. It is different in design than the others, lower to the ground and and maybe more attractive. It looks like a little white robot. It is quieter - whisper quiet on one setting and tolerably so on a second setting - and gets great reviews on Amazon. One of my students owns two of them in her Toronto apartment, where I store one of my pianos, and they work very well.

Good luck!

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727739
04/09/18 04:55 PM
04/09/18 04:55 PM
New England
J
Jeanne W Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne W  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
J

New England
Hi, Peter.

Thank you for posting about the Essick/Bemis humdifier and including the link to the models on Essick’s website. Very helpful. smile

The final contenders were the Essick and Venta. Finally, I decided to buy a Venta, but the Essick MA 1201 you commented on was second runner up and I keep thinking about it and wondering if I should have bought that one instead. It sounds like it does a great job of humidifying a space.

I’m hoping the Venta model I bought works as well at humidifying as my old Air-O-Swiss did. I got the larger Venta that holds 3 gallons of water in the basin.

You mention one of your students has two Essick MA 1201’s running in her apartment. Can you give an idea of the size of her apartment /rooms the Essick units are humidifyin? I'm wondering how many square feet her two MA 1201s are handling. We’re attempting to humidify our livingroom (33 x 18) and adjoining sunporch (10 x 18). Not sure if you’re still checking in on this thread, If you’re still around I’d appreciate a reply.

My thanks to you and to everyone who joined in with comments and info. 😊

Jeanne W

Last edited by Jeanne W; 04/09/18 05:08 PM.

1920 Steinway A3
Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727758
04/09/18 06:31 PM
04/09/18 06:31 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
Jeanne, congratulations on your Venta purchase. Enjoy that machine while it works. German engineering and all that. Perhaps yours will be trouble-free, unlike mine - I hope so.

I misspoke about the Essick white robot model. My student actually runs two Essick MA 800 humidiers, which are smaller and have somewhat less output than the Model 1201:
https://www.essickair.com/essick-ai...onsole-style-evaporative-humidifier.html

Her apartment is 1200 square feet, on one floor, and these two humidifiers in tandem kind of do the job. Not to 40% RH, but maybe to 30%. (Each one is advertised to humidify 1700 to 2600 square feet, which is malarkey.)

Indeed, you'll find that achieving proper humidity for a piano is a constant struggle. But you are on the right track. And remember, the alternative is simply to have your piano tuned more often.

Have fun and let us know how you fare!

Peter

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: Jeanne W] #2727763
04/09/18 06:44 PM
04/09/18 06:44 PM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
Which Venta did you get?

Re: Humidifier Advice, Please. Boneco-Venta-Etc [Re: EP] #2727832
04/10/18 01:25 AM
04/10/18 01:25 AM
NYC
R
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R

NYC
Jeanne, congratulations on your Venta. Let us know how it works out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,254
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission