Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Arty Movie, AZNpiano, AB99, anamnesis, AWilley, 604Rakuda, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Withdrawal-Depression #2726964
04/06/18 01:40 PM
04/06/18 01:40 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Busy week.

I only got about 15 min practice time on Wed, as my daughter wanted me to watch a show with her after work. Thursday, after another long day at work, my son and I went to volunteer for our local youth basketball organization. We didn't get home until 9:30, at which point I spent a few minutes hanging out with my wife before bed. I sat down for literally 5 min practicing one small section of one piece.

These were both great, productive days, but it's quite depressing and stressful to me when I can't get in some meaningful piano time. It's on my mind most of the evening; I feel as though it's a commitment that I can't fulfill, as if I'm letting someone (the piano) down. Maybe I'm just a little obsessive....okay, I'm almost definitely a little obsessive....but I just can't continue to have life interfering with my practice!

(Said a little lightly)

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2726979
04/06/18 02:27 PM
04/06/18 02:27 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
I don't honestly know if it's true, but I'm told repeatedly that even if I can squeak 5 minutes of playing a piece in every day it's better than missing a day completely. I know how you feel though, I look forward to my hour or two a day of practice and really miss it when I can't or can only manage a song or two. I spent some time thinking about why this is. What it comes down to is that I regret not learning to play until I was in my late 40's. I am keenly aware now that my time on this earth is limited. If I plan to get near to playing the way I want to play, it's going to take a lot of consistency and dedication. The more hours I miss playing, the farther that goal goes and the chance I'll reach it diminishes. It's my midlife existential crisis I guess.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2726984
04/06/18 02:32 PM
04/06/18 02:32 PM
Canada
Serge88 Offline

Silver Subscriber
Serge88  Offline

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Canada
We all face the same struggle. Piano is not our first priority in life. We need to make a list of priority and act according to the list. Sometimes, we have to say no to someone or better just say: "Yes my dear, I'll be there after my piano practice.”

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.”
– Maria Cristina

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2726987
04/06/18 02:35 PM
04/06/18 02:35 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

I assume you plan in some time for yourself? Next week it will be better?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2726994
04/06/18 03:10 PM
04/06/18 03:10 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
Don't feel badly, I had to sit down and actually write myself up a daily schedule that includes at least an hour of piano and often lets me get in about an hour and a half. Before that, I had similar issues to yours. It's hard to find time! I juggle a lot of duties every day and, for me, drawing up a schedule worked wonders. Then again, I'm pretty regimented in other things, too, like drawing up our household budgets, so I'm used to working this way. See what you can come up with that looks reasonable to you, share it with your family, and see what happens! smile

I'm an introvert, so I basically live by these words:

"To protect your energy....
It's OK to cancel a commitment.
It's OK to not answer that call.
It's OK to change your mind,
It's OK to want to be alone.
It's OK to take a day off.
It's OK to do nothing.
It's OK to speak up.
It's OK to let go."

Lisa

Currently working on Bach 2 part inventions, Chopin mazurkas, and some Keith Snell Level 5 stuffs, lol. smile
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2726997
04/06/18 03:22 PM
04/06/18 03:22 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by cmb13
Busy week.

I only got about 15 min practice time on Wed, as my daughter wanted me to watch a show with her after work. Thursday, after another long day at work, my son and I went to volunteer for our local youth basketball organization. We didn't get home until 9:30, at which point I spent a few minutes hanging out with my wife before bed. I sat down for literally 5 min practicing one small section of one piece.

These were both great, productive days, but it's quite depressing and stressful to me when I can't get in some meaningful piano time. It's on my mind most of the evening; I feel as though it's a commitment that I can't fulfill, as if I'm letting someone (the piano) down. Maybe I'm just a little obsessive....okay, I'm almost definitely a little obsessive....but I just can't continue to have life interfering with my practice!

(Said a little lightly)
There's good stress and there's bad stress. Good stress (imo) falls under the banner of 'drive' and is generally self-generated. When we are passionate about something, we are driven to pursue that goal. When that passion and drive steam-rolls our loved ones, then we're headed for danger in the bad stress zone.

You did the right thing. You spent time with your daughter, your son, and your wife. The benefits from that will be felt for who knows how long. Your piano, on the other hand, is a cold fish. It doesn't give a fig!

You will make up the lost practice time another day and be none the worse for missing a day. The piano, on the other hand, still won't care. smile

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727014
04/06/18 04:01 PM
04/06/18 04:01 PM
Rocky Mountains, USA
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
EP  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky Mountains, USA
A friend of mine has a t-shirt that says:
"I'd love to, but I have to practice."

Words to live by ...

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: EP] #2727023
04/06/18 04:29 PM
04/06/18 04:29 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by EP
A friend of mine has a t-shirt that says:
"I'd love to, but I have to practice."

Words to live by ...

I would have to disagree.

A man of the "cloth" once said ....I have never heard a death- bed declaration of ... "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

The same might be said of .... "I wish I had practiced more".

Time with friends and family is many times more valuable than time at the piano.

In my opinion, of course.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: dmd] #2727037
04/06/18 04:58 PM
04/06/18 04:58 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by dmd

A man of the "cloth" once said ....I have never heard a death- bed declaration of ... "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

The same might be said of .... "I wish I had practiced more".

Time with friends and family is many times more valuable than time at the piano.

It depends on the kind of friends and family wink . Be careful who you spend time with.......

My profession is notorious for its high rates of stress & burnout. Those of us who 'survive' have learnt methods, like being aware of (and avoiding if possible) 'silent stressors':
1) Stressed people - stress can be contagious.
2) Energy vampires - people who suck energy out of you and don't give it back.
3) Time robbers - people who take a lot of your time.

And strategies to beat stress & burnout include:
1) Energize! - do more, not less. Increase your activities, make time to energize.
2) Find your passion - a hobby, an activity you really love.

Or to put it another way, if your beloved hobby and activity is music and playing the piano, make time for it, and increase it. For the sake of your health.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727040
04/06/18 05:04 PM
04/06/18 05:04 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Your best option? Get a digital. I noticed you have a nice Boston, but with a semi decent digital you'll be able to practice when all around you would rather you didn't. Like, at night, or early morning.
I learnt to play Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu (badly) in a week when toothache wouldn't allow me to sleep . . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727045
04/06/18 05:12 PM
04/06/18 05:12 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
You can't reclaim lost time. The things you spent your time doing were worth a lot, too. So focus on the positives and forgive yourself for the lapse in piano. You'll get it back. We all go through seasons, and it's all too easy for something that is a love for us like piano study, to become a thing of guilt for us instead.

Forgive yourself and try to schedule a bit more time for yourself next week. smile

Last edited by Morodiene; 04/06/18 05:13 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727046
04/06/18 05:14 PM
04/06/18 05:14 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Ha! Great comments for a light thread!!

Peterws...ironically I sold my Casio Clarinova just a month or so ago. I wasn't using it anymore at all. My piano is in a room isolated enough that it doesn't bother anyone - in my home-office, I can close the double doors, and while not silent, the house is a sprawling ranch, so it doesn't drift to the bedrooms. I really don't miss the digital but I guess I might when I downsize.

Btw just met someone from Yorkshire - is that anywhere near you? She was visiting her father. Said it's about 5 1/2 hrs N of London.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: Chrispy] #2727048
04/06/18 05:15 PM
04/06/18 05:15 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by squidbot
I don't honestly know if it's true, but I'm told repeatedly that even if I can squeak 5 minutes of playing a piece in every day it's better than missing a day completely. I know how you feel though, I look forward to my hour or two a day of practice and really miss it when I can't or can only manage a song or two. I spent some time thinking about why this is. What it comes down to is that I regret not learning to play until I was in my late 40's. I am keenly aware now that my time on this earth is limited. If I plan to get near to playing the way I want to play, it's going to take a lot of consistency and dedication. The more hours I miss playing, the farther that goal goes and the chance I'll reach it diminishes. It's my midlife existential crisis I guess.

Yes, I agree, except that my 5 min usually turns into 45 min smile. I'm getting aware of my time limitations also, at 48 yrs old.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: Stubbie] #2727050
04/06/18 05:18 PM
04/06/18 05:18 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Stubbie
].............You did the right thing. You spent time with your daughter, your son, and your wife. The benefits from that will be felt for who knows how long. Your piano, on the other hand, is a cold fish. It doesn't give a fig!

You will make up the lost practice time another day and be none the worse for missing a day. The piano, on the other hand, still won't care. smile

Agree with this also.....that time spent w family is time well spent (most of the time - although sometimes I think the piano loves me more than my family does smile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: Morodiene] #2727052
04/06/18 05:21 PM
04/06/18 05:21 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Morodiene
You can't reclaim lost time. The things you spent your time doing were worth a lot, too. So focus on the positives and forgive yourself for the lapse in piano. You'll get it back. We all go through seasons, and it's all too easy for something that is a love for us like piano study, to become a thing of guilt for us instead.

Forgive yourself and try to schedule a bit more time for yourself next week. smile

Morodiene, I miss you greatly.....why have you not been hanging out in the ABF lately!!! Your words are always wise.

Anyway, folks, I have no fear that I will make it up mostly this weekend, although I have tennis at 10 tomorrow morning, and a charity gala at 5:30 tomorrow evening so I'll have to squeeze it in between events.

I'm not really going through any serious wdl or depression, but the piano definitely is on my mind when I'm not playing.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune

Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727055
04/06/18 05:34 PM
04/06/18 05:34 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by cmb13
Ha! Great comments for a light thread!!

Peterws...ironically I sold my Casio Clarinova just a month or so ago. I wasn't using it anymore at all. My piano is in a room isolated enough that it doesn't bother anyone - in my home-office, I can close the double doors, and while not silent, the house is a sprawling ranch, so it doesn't drift to the bedrooms. I really don't miss the digital but I guess I might when I downsize.

Btw just met someone from Yorkshire - is that anywhere near you? She was visiting her father. Said it's about 5 1/2 hrs N of London.

Yorkshire's our biggest county. Probably 20 miles or so from where I am, but I'm told I live over the wrong side o' the border . . . .a throw back from the War of the Roses.

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: peterws] #2727064
04/06/18 06:37 PM
04/06/18 06:37 PM
pianopi Offline
pianopi  Offline

Originally Posted by peterws

Yorkshire's our biggest county. Probably 20 miles or so from where I am, but I'm told I live over the wrong side o' the border . . . .a throw back from the War of the Roses.

We were on that other side for years, and then my mother got a hankering to live on your side once she retired. I am glad she did because I have spent many wonderful months wandering around the Herriot countryside. She was based in Richmond. Now I am far away I often spend evenings watching All Creatures Great and Small ... (when I am not watching the Time Team).

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: pianopi] #2727070
04/06/18 07:03 PM
04/06/18 07:03 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by pianopi
Originally Posted by peterws

We were on that other side for years, and then my mother got a hankering to live on your side once she retired. I am glad she did because I have spent many wonderful months wandering around the Herriot countryside. She was based in Richmond. Now I am far away I often spend evenings watching All Creatures Great and Small ... (when I am not watching the Time Team).

I betcha your mother lives in my town . . . . many Yorkshire folk retire there! Oh, and the original "All creatures" had a great piano soundtrack. The new series does too, but I'd have to write it down since no music was available for it.

Last edited by peterws; 04/06/18 07:06 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727071
04/06/18 07:12 PM
04/06/18 07:12 PM
pianopi Offline
pianopi  Offline

wait .. confused ..I thought you were in Yorkshire..? My mother was a Lancashire lass who, eschewing the red rose, moved over to the other side. She has now thrown off further ties to her heritage and moved even further afield, so she's probably not in your town. She initially retired to Richmond, Yorkshire.

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Withdrawal-Depression [Re: cmb13] #2727075
04/06/18 07:50 PM
04/06/18 07:50 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pittsburgh,PA
Work nights , so I feel drained most of half the week ,
But, what I got out of this thread is :
1. I wish I could retire , and travel.
or

Cheers!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:47 PM
Rare condition makes music painful for pianist
by FrankCox. 08/17/19 06:46 PM
What brand of hammers are these from the 80's?
by Piano Danno. 08/17/19 06:23 PM
Finally accepting reality
by KevinM. 08/17/19 04:59 PM
Looking at fingers or the music score
by Moo :). 08/17/19 04:08 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,586
Posts2,859,787
Members94,172
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission