2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
52 members (Burkey, clothearednincompo, 1957, 36251, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 449 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why do piano dealers change brands ?
Edb123 #2726557 04/04/18 05:14 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I got the message in e-mails and postcards from the dealer who was selling all of their new Steinway stock. They were pretty open and public about the reason.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bosendorfer 225 (meow!)
Edb123 #2726558 04/04/18 05:15 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

twocats #2726572 04/04/18 06:00 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats

Intersting, twocats! Thanks for the link.

So, there's a dealer who apparently is standing by their claim since they put it in "print" on their website:

Originally Posted by the dealer in the link above
Steinway informed us the only way we could continue being a Steinway dealer was to offer their pianos exclusively.

It looks like the above was posted in late 2013.

Just out of curiosity, in case it vanishes from that website, it was also archived in the Web Archive's waybackmachine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2017071...sicpianos.net/steinway-liquidation-event

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Edb123 #2726578 04/04/18 06:10 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I got the message in e-mails and postcards from the dealer who was selling all of their new Steinway stock. They were pretty open and public about the reason.

This is just my gut talking here, but I'd be more inclined to believe Bob Snyder rather than the dealer. Of course, there is always the possibility of a misunderstanding.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #2726610 04/04/18 09:43 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rickster

This is just my gut talking here, but I'd be more inclined to believe Bob Snyder rather than the dealer. Of course, there is always the possibility of a misunderstanding.

Rick

That's funny, my gut is telling me the exact opposite.

ando #2726619 04/04/18 10:49 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ando

Rick

I guess he’s technically correct if we’re being pedantic about the word “demand”. Steinway didn’t “demand” anything, they just offered a rather unpalatable choice.

twocats #2726640 04/05/18 05:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Hi twocats,

I know that dealer well and remember them going through that issue. Frankly, it is not uncommon for a manufacturer to have concerns about how their product is displayed and against what other instruments it will be competing with and compared to on a showroom floor that may be the singular experience for a region of piano buyers making a decision.

The stronger the brand, the more they will have concerns about how "brand centric" their dealer is.

It seems to me that an open minded and well informed pianist, when placed among some great pianos that are well prepped, will choose the instrument that most appeals to them, regardless of the name on the fallboard. This would put some brands at a greater disadvantage than others.

For that dealer this was the right decision.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Edb123 #2726703 04/05/18 10:31 AM
I have three quick final comments on this:

1. to "ando", who assumes I'm lying when I say we don't have the "Steinway only" policy: don't take my word for it. check Steinway dealer websites in a few cities, and it won't take long before you'll see that there are many who represent brands in addition to ours.

2. regarding the Portland situation: I won't go into specific details regarding this change, but I will say - as one who was very closely involved in this - that when these sorts of changes occur, it is to be expected that the dealer will put a positive spin on it - at least as it relates to their side of the equation. That's to be expected. In this case however, the "spin" level was elevated to a position that would impress CNN.

3. regarding the reasons why dealers change the lines they carry, in my 35 years plus of experience I have observed the following most common scenarios: the dealer makes the decision / the manufacturer makes the decision / both sides agree that it is the right decision. The reasons why are many and varied - - but at the end of the day, both sides need to do what makes the most sense in terms of what is best for their company. Both sides want these relationships to work - - but there are times when they don't - - so a change is made; hopefully the relationship is not destroyed - - because one never knows what the future may hold.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
twocats #2726829 04/05/18 06:16 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

Rick

I guess he’s technically correct if we’re being pedantic about the word “demand”. Steinway didn’t “demand” anything, they just offered a rather unpalatable choice.

As the one who used the word "demand" above, let me first say that I was paraphrasing, not quoting directly. Secondly, I too wondered if there was some way to slalom through these statements, and have them be hair-splittingly "true" to all parties.

Twocat's link also got me poking around with Google, which led me to this link:

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2009/090707/090707_kitts.html

That third party report describes a dealer who

• was an award-winning Steinway dealer (i.e. must have been doing well)
  • who continued to sell Steinway in other markets (i.e. must be Steinway-worthy in the big scheme of things)
  • hoped to sell Steinway in the future in metro area in question (i.e. still wants to sell Steinway)

It sure sounds like this is one of those times when "dealers change the lines they carry," but "the manufacturer makes the decision" for them. And the rationale that it's because of the other lines they carry is pretty compelling (multiple dealers have sung the same song). Rich G. explained the logic that could drive such a decision.

So, while it may be true that "Steinway does not 'demand' that our dealers sell 'only Steinway'," it does seem to be true that Steinway sometimes "cancels" a dealer's right to do so, against the dealer's wishes, for various and sundry reasons.

And it also seems like someone is trying to "put a positive spin on it - at least as it relates to their side of the equation." But, "that's to be expected."

For the record, I'm not calling Bob a liar. I just think that there's likely "truth" in both sides of this story. I also think 99.99% of Bob's contributions here are positive (not that it's my place to judge him). Helping Steinway owners find out the provenance of their pianos, for example, is pretty awesome.

Edb123 #2726845 04/05/18 07:23 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I think there may have been other rather important factors in play there that you're not mentioning, Retsacnal. If memory serves, a change of ownership after the business owner passed away, an economic crash, the shrinking of a multi-location business, and a change in product representation. It sort of looks like you're "cherry picking" to make a particular impression here...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
terminaldegree #2726876 04/06/18 12:21 AM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
It sort of looks like you're "cherry picking" to make a particular impression here...

Cherry picking would imply that I know more than I'm saying here, and that's not the case. 100% of my "knowledge" is shared here.

Please remember that I don't have the extensive industry contacts and exposure that you do. That said, I don't think any of the things you point out would change my impression.

Change in ownership? If I bought a dealership that sold Steinway, I'd probably be pretty pissed if Steinway then "canceled" the dealership.
Economic crash/shrinking business? I suspect that this dynamic would be just as likely to impact the new distributor as it would the previous one.
Change in product line? Well, that's the crux here, isn't it?

Anyway, I think there's enough smoke here to conclude that there's a fire (i.e. the truth probably lies somewhere in between the two narratives).

Edb123 #2727054 04/06/18 04:26 PM
From my experience, Steinway likes to have their dealers as exclusive for high end pianos as possible. Of course there are exceptions, the local dealer here for example also has Schimmel.
But I don't know a single dealer who also offers Estonia.
In fact those few who once did, no longer seem to.
So the question always remains "why". One can of course always speculate...
Fine by me, nothing wrong with trying different types of coffee in different parts of town.

Norbert smirk

Last edited by Norbert; 04/06/18 04:28 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Any info on Alfonsi pianos?
by Ubu - 12/03/20 03:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,229
Posts3,029,973
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission