2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Edb123 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
In another thread a former Steinway dealer has changed to selling Kawai and another thread has a dealer no longer selling sauter

These are all very good brands of piano so why do dealers stop selling one to change to another ?

If I was a piano dealer I would want to sell all of those pianos and more

do piano manufacturers want exclusivity with some dealers ??

Kawai K15E
P
P
I would think there are any number of different reasons. The Steinway dealer in my neck of the woods had been selling S&S forever. The story is that Steinway created some onerous conditions for remaining a dealer, as in forcing them to carry a ridiculous amount of inventory and having unrealistic sales quotas. (see here).

Some other dealers may change for other reasons, like a better profit margin, what their sales area is more interested in, or something else.

I'm not a dealer, manufacturer or rebuilder, but these are just some reasons off the top of my head.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It has been real musical chairs in the Atlanta area and surrounding markets over the last decade, and the story lines may sound like a soap opera to some with at least as much rumor as actual intrigue.

Some dealers grow while others retire or downsize. Some find greater success with some lines, whether that is profit driven or relationship driven. Sometimes dealers dislike policy changes or changes to territory. Quite a few have not adapted to the changing market and manufacturers feel underserved. Sometimes a brand's identity and focus changes, making a once successful relationship into a poor fit. Increasingly, I see factory stores in some markets for Steinway. I see some factory store test markets for Kawai. I've spoken to dealers that had volume but poor profits due to low margin and high fixed costs later opt for more reasonable margin, but lower volume products and feel less pressure and stress. I've seen some dealers lured into brands or chase brands for reasons of ego.

We represent several brands and have had a few notable ones come and go from our doors. I don't think any brand or strategy has it easy in the US market, so I think changes will continue to be common as there are more viable options than dealers prepared to represent them or customers with a clear understanding of brand value vs. comparative performance (i.e. objective value). There are a lot of imperfect market forces in play. wink

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Hmm.. what are these "sales quota"? Clearly, if there are not enough buyers - the dealers can't sell them. Is this to force the dealer to decrease their commission to move inventory? If so, that is just nasty.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Manufacturers have franchise requirements. They must offer the same terms to all dealers who qualify or they get in trouble with the law. Each manufacturer will have policies that fit their goals and they will change those policies over time as market conditions change.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Manufacturers have franchise requirements. They must offer the same terms to all dealers who qualify or they get in trouble with the law.

Free market lol

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Manufacturers have franchise requirements. They must offer the same terms to all dealers who qualify or they get in trouble with the law. Each manufacturer will have policies that fit their goals and they will change those policies over time as market conditions change.

This is true..... but in the real world different dealers have different reps. and get treated differently.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

This is true..... but in the real world different dealers have different reps. and get treated differently.

On our side of the musical instrument business we see this all the time with Guitar Center. I remember when Taylor Guitars advertised that ALL their guitars came with HS cases but at GC they were charging a couple a hunner for the HSC as a separate item (after advertising the model online at MAP). I asked a Taylor rep about it. He laughed a little uncomfortably and said, Most dealer order Taylors by lots of tens. GC orders in by grosses of each model and sells nationally around a hundred Taylor Guitars a day. Yeah, they kinda get to make their own rules."

Kurt

Last edited by KurtZ; 03/31/18 05:35 PM.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Originally Posted by KurtZ
On our side of the musical instrument business we see this all the time with Guitar Center. I remember when Taylor Guitars advertised that ALL their guitars came with HS cases but at GC they were charging a couple a hunner for the HSC as a separate item (after advertising the model online at MAP). I asked a Taylor rep about it. He laughed a little uncomfortably and said, Most dealer order Taylors by lots of tens. GC orders in by grosses of each model and sells nationally around a hundred Taylor Guitars a day. Yeah, they kinda get to make their own rules."

Kurt

I would imagine this would be the case with the larger dealers, whether it be Guitar Center or the larger piano dealers. Sales volume = clout with the distributors/manufacturers (Sam Bennett touched on this a bit earlier in this thread.). I bought my Casio Privia PX310 digital stage piano at Guitar Center and must say it was a very pleasant buying experience. The keyboard guy let me play the demo as much as I wanted, and then he played a bit. I told him I'd take it, but wanted one in a box that was unopened and undamaged. He went to the stock room and retrieved one with the box in pristine condition (I've never had good luck buying something in a box that was already opened or mutilated).

Also, I'm not a dealer, but I would think things can change over time, along with market conditions, dealer personalities, distributor personalities, manufacturer/distributor requirements/policies, and the fact that dealers and manufacturers can change their mind over time regarding a broad range of issues.

The current thread regarding the Sauter distributorship/dealer changes is an example of that; quite often, these changes can end badly, with hard feelings and disgruntled parties on both sides.

Also, FWIW, I've always thought it was rather ironic that some dealers will speak badly of certain brands they don't carry, and, over time, things change and not only are they now a dealer for the brand they previously trashed, but they embrace the brand enthusiastically and it is now suddenly the best thing since sliced bread. smile

Just a few thoughts...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member

I visited a local chain/dealer a while back. The salesman explained that they had previously been a Steinway dealer, but that Steinway had demanded that they sell only Steinway, so they had opted to not sell Steinway. Of course, that may or may not be true.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
The current thread regarding the Sauter distributorship/dealer changes is an example of that; quite often, these changes can end badly, with hard feelings and disgruntled parties on both sides.

The guy I mentioned above seemed to be pretty agitated about the change.

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Also, FWIW, I've always thought it was rather ironic that some dealers will speak badly of certain brands they don't carry, and, over time, things change and not only are they now a dealer for the brand they previously trashed, but they embrace the brand enthusiastically and it is now suddenly the best thing since sliced bread. smile

The craziest example I'm aware of was a "new" Baldwin dealer who posted here to complain and request that people not bad-mouth Baldwin online because people might believe it, and a look at his meager posting history showed that he had previously been on PW badmouthing Baldwin after he ceased to be a Baldwin dealer previously!

"Today I sell Baldwins, and they're great! Yesterday I didn't sell Baldwins, and Baldwin was horrible. Before that I sold Baldwins (so they must have been ok...)"

Sorry, I know I've pointed that one out before, but I just never get tired of how flagrantly hypocritical it is! whome wow ha

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I visited a local chain/dealer a while back. The salesman explained that they had previously been a Steinway dealer, but that Steinway had demanded that they sell only Steinway, so they had opted to not sell Steinway. Of course, that may or may not be true.

This is true; the biggest dealer in Portland liquidated all of their Steinways and another dealer is now the only Steinway dealer in town.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
Originally Posted by twocats
This is true; the biggest dealer in Portland liquidated all of their Steinways and another dealer is now the only Steinway dealer in town.

Well, selling only Steinways can work for a dealer. They'd only need to sell a few a year to make a healthy profit (or not). smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the corroboration. I had no specific reason to doubt it, but one never knows...

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member

Well, selling only Steinways can work for a dealer. They'd only need to sell a few a year to make a healthy profit (or not). smile

Hehehe. Maybe so.

I think dealers would benefit from being able to sell anything they want. Steinway would benefit from restricting their dealers to their own lines. For example, If a sale is going to lost to a "lessor" piano, it might as well be a Boston or an Essex. In theory, the dealer is still selling a piano. However, if the customer prefers a different alternative, perhaps something less expensive than a Steinway, but "better" than a Boston, then the exclusive dealer cannot satisfy, and the sale is lost (both dealer and Steinway lose). A non-exclusive dealer may be able to satisfy the customer, and therefore not lose a sale.

Restricting dealers to specific lines would disproportionately benefit the the manufacturer (IMO). Of course, it wouldn't be fair not to point out that being a Steinway dealer probably has a certain value too, so it'd be a tradeoff for the dealer: potentially gain business based on Steinway's reputation, but sacrifice sales of non-Steinway pianos.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

On balance, and despite whatever desires there are at the corporate/distributor level, this is not always the case. I've known a dealer who had both Steinway and Yamaha, even one during a transition that had Yamaha and Kawai, more than one that have Steinway and Kawai, and a bunch of markets that separate who sells Bösendorfer from who sells Yamaha, even though they're owned by the same entity.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Steinway does not "demand" that our dealers sell "only Steinway". There are those who have chosen to represent only our brands - and there are those who represent brands in addition to ours.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Bob Snyder
Steinway does not "demand" that our dealers sell "only Steinway". There are those who have chosen to represent only our brands - and there are those who represent brands in addition to ours.

Not "only Steinway", but I'm pretty sure the message was "only Steinway as the high-end brand".

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Snyder

Thanks for the input.

I otherwise only know what the dealer told me, and, as I said, it may or may not have been true. Salesmen lie all the time. It may be more face-saving, for example, to say "they forced us..." than to admit perhaps they couldn't meet sales quotas, or whatever. Heck, they may have simply decided to quit carrying Steinway, and desired to besmirch the company (FUD takes strange forms).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission