2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, Bill McClellan, anotherscott, anamnesis, Beemer, alexii, 17 invisible), 637 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Hi,

I may be travelling a lot more in future and am looking for a travelling piano - ideally something that has a sturdy matching case so it can be checked in the airline as a baggage. My main criteria is as good an action as possible while still keeping it light enough to be travelling with. I will be using headphones with laptop VSTs - so built in speakers or sounds do not matter. Let's assume for the moment that budget is not a concern.

Thanks,
Osho

Last edited by Osho; 03/31/18 01:22 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho
Hi,

I may be travelling a lot more in future and am looking for a travelling piano - ideally something that has a sturdy matching case so it can be checked in the airline as a baggage. My main criteria is as good an action as possible while still keeping it light enough to be travelling with. I will be using headphones with laptop VSTs - so built in speakers or sounds do not matter. Let's assume for the moment that budget is not a concern.

Thanks,
Osho

StudioLogic SL88

or

Yamaha CP4

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yamaha CP4 was my first thought as well. However, it would help if you could specify the weight you consider acceptable first...

And: Do you need all 88 keys or would less be acceptable as well, for your purposes?

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for the recommendations..

Originally Posted by maurus
Yamaha CP4 was my first thought as well. However, it would help if you could specify the weight you consider acceptable first...

And: Do you need all 88 keys or would less be acceptable as well, for your purposes?

50 lbs or less, including the piano and the case, as that is the limit of the airline check-ins. If it is actually close to 50 lbs, hopefully it has wheels like luggage suitcases.

I don't need 88 keys - 73 or 76 would be fine. 61 might be too limiting though, I think.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
have looked at the options for a traveling keyboard myself. the better hard cases take the weight over 50 lbs. on all the keyboards with fully weighted (or approximations) keys, and for most 88 note keyboards with any type of action. don't be surprised, if you choose not to compromise on the action, and want at least 72-73 keys, that you have to accept the overweight charges for a 55-65 lb. case + piano. the better hard shell cases all have wheels, but at my age this is pushing 'portability'. since my purpose for a traveling board excludes performing for others, have pretty much resigned myself to getting a sophisticated 'toy' keyboard (not fully weighted keys, light weight, 61 keys which is sufficient for Bach). the hard cases cost about the same as the better examples of this type, which for me is another consideration against getting a more expensive keyboard with better action. for a performing pianist in their physical prime the calculus would obviously come out much differently.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Roland RD-64 is still your best bet for a travel piano with a weighted-hammer action.

1. It is well within the weight & length restrictions of most airline check-in luggage.
2. Plano Molding makes an inexpensive hard case for rifles that will fit the RD-64. Sells for around US$130 on Amazon (here's the link).

Roland Go Piano
I went with the smaller Roland Go Piano because my monthly business trips only last 2-3 days. The key action is a compromise, but it's usable with Pianoteq. I use it with the keyboard action set to "heavy" and custom velocity curves in Pianoteq. Here's a photo of my Go Piano inside a hard travel case. (a smaller version of the rifle case above).

[Linked Image]

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Two years or so ago I got a Fatar Studiologic VMK 161, used. They are not made anymore, but they show up used every now and then. I use it with an iPad and thats just great.

It is 15kg alone, which is already no fun in a soft bag, and a flight case with wheels is a must. I got one with it without wheels and in metal and it is itself about 5kg or more and absolutely no fun to handle. Not at all.

Vacations with a piano are really much better :-) so I really, really recommend getting a travel piano. However, you need to put special focus on size and weight. So I would recommend to limit yourself to about 61 keys and get a really lightweight case with good wheels and handle. Something you can transport on your own for at least 500m without issue.

Looking at the market right now, not counting older models as used (which I recommend to check), the Rolands mentioned above look like the best options to me.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
D
D
How come no one has recommended the Kawai VPC yet? So many people swear by them. Seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha CLP-685
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Groove, that is an elegant solution. have tried out the 'go-piano', the action is far from a real piano, and for me it's in the 'sophisticated toy' category that will probably be my destination. waiting for the new casio CT-X series of portables to get released before deciding. as a comparison, the roland RD 64 has fully weighted keys, feels much like a normal digital piano with a real piano feel to the action, and its weight is close to thirty pounds with no amp or speakers. we have direct testimony from Hendrik that something in that weight range is 'no fun to handle' with the case added into the load.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
"Good action" and lightweight are mutually exclusive. Not sure I'd consider Roland's RD64 a "good action".
My choice in the end for traveling was to give up on "good action", and to go to 73 keys (in my case a Nord) - which I find significantly better than 61 or 64 keys for what I am doing.

To play a lightweight action is a challenge. But in the end you may even profit from practicing on such an action once in a while.

PS. The Kawai VPC1 is great, but I'd not want to travel with it on my own wink

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
For pianist who wants to drag their piano, Yamaha CP4 all the way.

O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
How about StudioLogic SL73? Here is a link. It probably has the same action as StudioLogic SL88? How is that action?

Thanks,
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
How about StudioLogic SL73? Here is a link. It probably has the same action as StudioLogic SL88? How is that action?

Thanks,
Osho

There is a difference between SL88 grand (21kg) and SL88/73 studio (13.7/11.5 kg) Studio has very light action, almost as semi weight.

Last edited by slobajudge; 04/01/18 10:22 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P

Thanks,
Osho

I noticed that the price tag on the SL73 is the same as the SL88 studio. Most manufacturers set a price from low to high respective to key configuration: 61 lowest priced, followed by 73, and the most expensive 88 key.

O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Groove On
The Roland RD-64 is still your best bet for a travel piano with a weighted-hammer action.

1. It is well within the weight & length restrictions of most airline check-in luggage.
2. Plano Molding makes an inexpensive hard case for rifles that will fit the RD-64. Sells for around US$130 on Amazon (here's the link).

Thanks for the picture and the image. I might go with the route of RD-64 + the Plano case - sounds like a really good solution. Is the Plano case lockable for flight check-in?

What does your experience say about checking something like the 52" case in with the airlines? The RD-64 is 28lbs and the case is 20lbs - so it gets just at 48lbs (under 50lbs limit).

Thanks,
Osho

Last edited by Osho; 04/01/18 12:15 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
The Roland RD-64 is still your best bet ... Plano Molding makes an inexpensive hard case for rifles that will fit the RD-64. Sells for around US$130 on Amazon (here's the link).

... Is the Plano case lockable for flight check-in?

... What does your experience say about checking something like the 52" case in with the airlines? The RD-64 is 28lbs and the case is 20lbs - so it gets just at 48lbs (under 50lbs limit).

- In addition to 5 sturdy latches, the rifle cases have padlock holes. I bought TSA rated padlocks to avoid issues with security.

- there is a rubber all-weather seal to protect from water

- the large Plano rifle case has rolling wheels

- standard economy luggage weight limits are 50 lbs / 23 kg

- the large Plano rifle case exceeds standard economy luggage dimension limits - 62 linear inches / 158 linear cm (calculated as L+W+H). You may be able to check it in free as a specialty/sports case. Otherwise, pay extra luggage fees or fly business class to increase the size limitation. * this another reason I went with the smaller Go Piano

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Hmmm...a lot of sites (sweetwater, kraftmusic, musiciansfriend, etc...) now showing the RD64 as no longer available. Has it been discontinued?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
There was a post here recently about a piano that has 3 parts and folds as a suitcase/luggage. Does anyone have a pointer/info on that piano?

Thanks,
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
R
R
Hi, Osho!

www.adelehmusic.com.

And if you know a little bit of French, there is a topic here :

https://www.pianomajeur.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18785

But we are not in the same range of price!

Ps: I m in the same search as you, but from what I found is none of the “ stage” pianos( with weighted keys) + cases fits under 158 cm ( length+ height+ width) .
Only something of a size of a gopiano( which is spring loaded...) fits...

It’s a pity that no company has decided to build that kind of piano...

Last edited by rolex67; 04/01/18 10:43 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Of course this NY guy chops pianos to your specs for travel. Yamaha Pxxx or Casio Privia for about $1500:

http://www.minetticustomkeyboards.com/

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2634544/1.html

I suppose you could attempt something similar but this obviously requires some skill, particularly to keep action consistent without original frame.

Last edited by newer player; 04/01/18 11:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Disklavier Advice
by efeld23 - 05/21/22 04:13 PM
Playing freely with other Instruments
by alexii - 05/21/22 10:42 AM
Foreign Piano Store Visit
by Damien PG - 05/21/22 07:53 AM
Yamaha x-series from Hamamatsu
by Ek81 - 05/21/22 07:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,168
Posts3,193,425
Members105,334
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission