2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 302 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 301 302
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho
Originally Posted by JoBert
(it takes ~2 hours to install!).

That is scary long - what if one loses electrical power in that time frame? You have a dead brick piano!

I don't think there's any danger of that.
The update comes in three parts: The first part is the actual firmware update. That is very quick, as usual (<1min). The other parts are for the UI. The first of those takes ~10min, the second takes ~1-2 hours.
The firmware update is independent from the two UI updates, i.e. the piano still works if the firmware is already updated but the UI is not (I know that from personal experience). So if the upgrade fails during one of the longer running UI updates, you can simply restart it from the beginning.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Deus_Ex_Machina, welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by Deus_Ex_Machina
I contacted them this morning. No answer yet.
I was just curious if somebody could just send it to me.

The NV10 software update should only be distributed by Kawai dealers/distributors.
It's also a good opportunity for dealers to communicate with their NV10 customers to ensure that they are fully satisfied with the instrument etc.

I got it from Kawai Germany. Didn't notice much of a difference though (it takes ~2 hours to install!).

That is scary long - what if one loses electrical power in that time frame? You have a dead brick piano!

As with the CA98/CA78, the NV10 update process requires three stages.
The first stage updates the instrument's main CPU software, and completes in under a minute.
The second and third stages updates the instrument's touchscreen and requires considerably longer (depending on the contents of the update).

However, there are fail-safes in place at each stage to prevent damaging the instrument. In the event that one of the update stages fails, it's just a case of turning the instrument off and retrying that stage.

I hope this alleviates and concerns.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
Ah, JoBert beat me too it. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
D
I got an email from Kawai Germany today with the update and instructions on how to do it.
They weren't kidding about those two hours.
But with a usb thumb drive and the ability to press all three pedals at the same time, you're golden.

Speaking of the pedals: I told the Kawai rep about my right pedal squeaking a bit when depressing it completely, and he got right back to me, apologizing that the expert technician is unavailable at the moment to to Easter (which is a very normal thing here: holiday season)
But he'd be getting back to me on Tuesday (yeah, Monday's a holiday, too) when he's back in.
For me, Kawai's customer service has been stellar so far. I almost felt bad I said anything because I didn't want to inconvenience these nice people ;-)

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha CLP-685
D
D
One more question:
Does anybody know how to copy a song from internal memory to a usb drive?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You need to record it to the USB in Pianist Mode. Or you can copy it in Sound mode. You can not copy it in Pianist Mode.

Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
You need to record it to the USB in Pianist Mode. Or you can copy it in Sound mode. You can not copy it in Pianist Mode.

Can you not do what I do on my CA67 - play back the recorded song and convert it to Audio as it does it?

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42

Can you not do what I do on my CA67 - play back the recorded song and convert it to Audio as it does it?

You can in Sound Mode, which is the same as on your CA67. But not in the new Pianist Mode. If you plug in a USB drive, you can record to that. I know: kind of odd. It has occurred to me that the Pianist Mode is targeted to compete with the AG buyers who are not so concerned with the electronic options. But instead want to practice piano on an authentic action.

Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I made a lengthy post about the recording options way earlier in this thread, here:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2716062

The gist of it is what Tom already said: In sound mode the recorder works more or less the same as before (CA97,CA67,CS11,etc.). In pianist mode, you cannot save the internal recording to USB. The only way to get an internal recording in pianist mode "out" of the piano is to make the piano play it back and record the line out signal.

My recommendation for pianist mode is to simply always have a USB stick connected and record directly to the stick (preferably in WAV format) and only use the internal recorder for throw-away recordings that you don't plan to keep anyway (e.g. to record a passage during practice for analyzing, etc.).

Kawai Novus NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

My recommendation for pianist mode is to simply always have a USB stick connected and record directly to the stick (preferably in WAV format) and only use the internal recorder for throw-away recordings that you don't plan to keep anyway (e.g. to record a passage during practice for analyzing, etc.).

That is exactly what I do. You can format it from the Settings menu. It is actually quite convenient.

Kawai NV10
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Nice job, JoBert. Ya gotta keep it clean. White keys, 10.2 inches.

I had the action of the 1981 Mason & Hamlin BB (7' semi-concert) grand out yesterday for a tech to inspect prior to some regulation work on it. I measured the white keys pivot. It was 9.75 inches - just a reference FYI.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Nice job, JoBert. Ya gotta keep it clean. White keys, 10.2 inches.

I had the action of the 1981 Mason & Hamlin BB (7' semi-concert) grand out yesterday for a tech to inspect prior to some regulation work on it. I measured the white keys pivot. It was 9.75 inches - just a reference FYI.

Osho

Thanks Osho. So, I'm sure this quote can in NO way be misinterpreted, but I honestly feel that any (pivot) length greater than 9-9.5" is probably just fine wink

One thing I just thought about this morning. As much as the NV10 boasts fully functional damper weighting, it doesn't carry over to sostenuto. I.e., if you sustain a note with sos, that's done in software entirely, like a standard digital piano, and physically the key damper has not been engaged--you can still detect the impact of the back action, as well as the increased weighting of the key, whereas on an acoustic the damper would have been physically raised. I've used sos less than a handful of times so I honestly don't miss this "omission" at all, but thought it would be interesting to mention.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
As much as the NV10 boasts fully functional damper weighting, it doesn't carry over to sostenuto.

Nice of Kawai, isn't it, that they left something for Yamaha to innovate? So that when Yamaha comes out with the N3Y (or N3Z?) that has damper weights, they can implement and claim "the first realistic damper weight simulation that also applies to the Sostenuto pedal!" wink

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I'm still waiting for a key frame that shifts to the right a few mm when una corda is pressed! Cmon Casio and Roland, here is your chance!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
U
U
My right pedal squeaked too. My dealer that I bought the piano from came out straight away. The fix took about 60 seconds, and has been perfect since. Apparently the fix is exactly as you would fix a squeaky acoustic piano pedal.

UK Kawai also sent me the 1.0.2 update. I've only had a very brief play this morning, so not much time to check the effects. It may just be me but I think the sound it a touch cleaner of digital nuances. It just sounds amazing. The Kawai sound is a bit more musically colourful compared to the Yamaha. Just that bit more acoustic. BTW I've only ever had Yamaha products (HS8 organ, ES1 synth, P255 piano) so I'm not a yamaha hater at all. I appreciate the P255 is no Avantgrand. I have played the NU1, N1 and N2. I liked them. Strangely, the NU1 made me smile more than the N1 and N2. N1 was too quiet. N2 was fine. But kept going back onto the NU1. This was before the NU1X and N3X were out. I had wanted the N3X due to it being current tech. But didn't really want some thing that big. There is a new video of the N2X online and the sound seems a bit too clean when you listen to the Kawai. I'm sure it sounds lovely if you actually play it for real. But I must say that for nearly half the price the NV10 is just everything I wanted. I love the touch. It just feels like a lovely acoustic piano. Some reports say there is lateral key movement compared to a yamaha. My NV10 had no lateral key movement. I have still not played my acoustic baby grand since getting the NV10. I prefer the lighter touch of the Kawai over the Yamaha. Just my personal preference. It reminds me of a Steinway I played.

On the previous page (21) someone asked me where I got my NV10. I work near Cambridge, so got mine from Millers. I appreciate there are cheaper places online, but they were excellent, so I'm glad I got mine from them. They jumped on getting the NV10 into their shop for me to try, and delivered it quickly. They have sorted out the squeaky pedal and 1.0.2 update. For something that isn't cheap having local support and supporting local business is very important.

Piano player as hobby. Baby grand acoustic. Yamaha P255. Kawai Novus NV10.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I'm still waiting for a key frame that shifts to the right a few mm when una corda is pressed! Cmon Casio and Roland, here is your chance!

I am actually fine if it doesn't shift to the right. There are a few 'features' of the actual acoustic grands that I wouldn't mind losing - and this is one of it.

Another such 'feature' is the constant need to tune - which hybrid DPs can declare success on smile.

I also would like if there is no need to regulate the AvantGrand/Novus actions periodically and that they are as consistent and uniform for their entire life as on day one - I do not know if this is the case with AvantGrands that have been out there for several years.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 03/30/18 12:30 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UKchap75
My right pedal squeaked too. My dealer that I bought the piano from came out straight away. The fix took about 60 seconds, and has been perfect since. Apparently the fix is exactly as you would fix a squeaky acoustic piano pedal.

I'm curious, what is the fix (so I know for the future)? Did you see what he did?

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The AGs (hybrids generally?) seem similar to grands in this instance. Most people never regulate through the life of the instrument, and some people insist it needs it multiple times, starting day one.

I think the one factor is that action feel aside, the tonal character will always remain uniform on a digital so that will relieve some fraction of the need for regulation.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
D
D
There is a new video of the N2X online

Video of the N2X? When, where? Want! Please!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Deus_Ex_Machina
There is a new video of the N2X online

Video of the N2X? When, where? Want! Please!

Yeah, you'd have quite the scoop if this were true. Are you sure you didn't mean N3X?

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Page 33 of 302 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission