2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 108 1 2 3 4 5 107 108
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would say in general Chord (and related things like broken chords etc) come more frequently in the LH, but they do happen in the right hand - often as well a chord is shared between hands.

PS = Got my 100% on The Star-Spangled Banner

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Congratulations with you 100%, I do not like those American traditionals. I am still fighting with TV (3E), it will take some time. frown

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I completed (both slow and fast) the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" today and had to use a new way of practicing, since this piece really didn't have much in the way of practicing, other than RH, then LH then all together at slow speed and all together at super fast speed (20% above required speed).

Slow speed is 60 bpm

So having managed to score 100% at slow speed, I had no real way of building up to the default tempo of 100 for the fast version (practice for that was to try and do it at 120). So I used the Player Controls, set the speed to 80 and played it until I got it pretty well correct (off tempo you don't get a score, but you can see if there any red notes after you've done as "Assess"). I then repeated at 85, then 90 and then 95, before finally resetting tempo to 100. That enabled me to get there, where as jumping straight in at 100 bpm I was getting no where (could not score above 89%)

Sarah65 if your left pinkie isn't working you will have real issues with this, the left hand is playing C -> EG (as a two note chord), B->EG, A->EG, G->EG, F->CF, A->CF and back to C->EG

I just looked back at TV (In 3E) to remind myself what it was. When I learnt from Ages 5->10 I always said that I had got stuck because I couldn't separate my hands and play different rhythms in each hand (like patting your head with one hand and drawing a circle on your chest with the other). This piece got me out of that for the first time - and I can now also pat my head and draw a circle on my chest, whereas I couldn't before.

I found the secret for me was to let the left get into steady rhythm, but hardly concentrate on it - just enough to know it was happening, and put all the energy into ensuring the right hand played the correct (slightly syncopated) tune. Hard to describe exactly, but I sort of felt my left hand was on autopilot

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I sometimes use the same way to speed up, sometimes I turn tempo slower and sometimes much faster, and then it works for the "normal fast speed" I also sometimes do left hand and right hand to play separately in the "fast" until I can get them both very well. Problem with my pink, I sometimes use (if it can) the 4th finger as a pink. But by playing a lot I am experiencing that pinkie with the chords is already very nice without having too much trouble. It is only as in "TV" always the same movement and then still move quickly from C;A;G;F back to C ... that it becomes very difficult. I am also waiting for that magical moment to move left and right independently, but that still takes a while I think. I see the rest of 3E as a mountain where I don't come across... maybe "morning mood" because I know that and can play it a bit. It is also almost time to start in the garden, and I think to much on flowers and veggies and not enough piano smile

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with myself. I scored a new personal best on the SASR. My best before this was 309; last night I got a 350. And it should have been better. I made a couple really stupid mistakes. You know sometimes as soon as you hit a key that it was wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with myself. I scored a new personal best on the SASR. My best before this was 309; last night I got a 350. And it should have been better. I made a couple really stupid mistakes. You know sometimes as soon as you hit a key that it was wrong and there's nothing you can do about it.

Congratulations - its a great feeling when you get a new high.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I bet your mistake was not as stupid as mine... In the beginning I once had a whole song left and right hand just swapped... that's very stupid, score was 3% laugh I must have hit one note correctly. Congrats, up to 400 soon.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Still fighting with TV... what's that hard! and have you beat level 6 already akc42? smile

Remember how I said that I hadn't got to Arabia in 3B? Well, now I have… and I've been stuck on the fast version for a few days. The slow version I can play fine. I'll get there. smile

Roland F130-R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I finished Level 5 in the Technique section. Not the last thing that I did there, but one that took me 2 days to master was to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in each of the 12 keys, one after the other without any errors.

After that there was a couple of exercises where you have to transpose music to a different key without seeing the music for it - that was fun.

On the Method Section I am working my way through Lesson 5E. You will see I just posted in 40 Pieces A year that I have learnt 90 pieces of music in the Method Section (from somewhere in Level 3 to where I am now) since the beginning of 2018. The last piece completed at 100% was Silver Lit Night (which I posted a link to a soundcloud version at 98% that I quickly produced a day or so later just as a demonstration - as its rather nice) which I finished on 23rd March. Since then I have been working on "Memories" which has taken a while, since I was not at home much of Saturday and today and not at the Piano much of Sunday. I'm still working on the practice sessions, about to start bar 25 (out of 37 in total), so still a little way to go. Just got in from work (one of my 3 days a month smile ) and about to start at the piano.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This site looks interesting. I’m going to explore it more after my video lessons and Alfred commitments are complete. I’ve read most of this thread and like the concept.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Remember how I said that I hadn't got to Arabia in 3B? Well, now I have… and I've been stuck on the fast version for a few days. The slow version I can play fine. I'll get there. smile

Yes, eventually you get there. I had that with every piece of level three, the fast version took days to weeks... but I kept trying every day and suddenly it says 100% smile

Last edited by Sarah65; 03/27/18 01:01 PM.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by akc42
I finished Level 5 in the Technique section. Not the last thing that I did there, but one that took me 2 days to master was to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in each of the 12 keys, one after the other without any errors.
After that there was a couple of exercises where you have to transpose music to a different key without seeing the music for it - that was fun.

I will not do that, I hate "twinkle Twinkle" from the beginning, it really can't hear it anymore because it took me so long before I had the 100% (level 2 I guess). I'm not going to do technique , is too boring and too monotonous, I prefer to play songs. That "Silver Lit Night" is really a nice piece, I hope I'm ever get so far smile I always have difficulty getting back on tempo if, for whatever reason, I can't play a few days. Today we had no internet, and last night I was at 99% with TV, but I already know that tomorrow I will have to practice back the slow version before I can play again the fast one. It's a song where you learn to find your keys without looking, and that's finally very important when playing piano I think...

Last edited by Sarah65; 03/27/18 01:03 PM.

cursing

I'm so frustrated right now! I went ahead and upgraded my PM account to a subscription finally. I got a confirmation email but it's not registering in my app. Sorry....just had to vent.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
cursing

I'm so frustrated right now! I went ahead and upgraded my PM account to a subscription finally. I got a confirmation email but it's not registering in my app. Sorry....just had to vent.

Did you try to logout...login again? Send them an email...i'm sure it will be ok smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
It's a song where you learn to find your keys without looking, and that's finally very important when playing piano I think...

On the piece I am trying to play now, "Memories", there is a small section where the left hand has to play a low D# followed by D# and octave higher along with the A# above that, twice, then Dnatural and Dnatural with A# twice, then C# with C# and A# twice, and finally Cnatural and then Cnatural with A# (once) then G#

I eventually nailed that small section (including RH) in practice at full tempo, and my hands were bouncing up and down the keyboard, and seemingly just playing the right notes without me having to look.

I have watched for sometime people playing Chopin, where the left hand on the first beat of the bar plays a low note, followed by two higher chords one after the other on the 2nd and 3rd beats, and wondered how it was done. Now with "Memories" I am beginning to see how it is done.

Of course, I am now practicing measures 17-37 (which includes this section) and am nowhere even at the slow tempo. I must stop posting on here and get back to it whistle

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds very complicated, I also sometimes dread what your fingers do when you don't think about what you're actually doing, and by the scare I stop playing laugh
Why is it so much harder to find the piano keys without looking then the letters and numbers on the keyboard of the computer. I can already type blind from my 12 years, and actually that is more difficult because there are 6 rows of keys on top of each other. At piano, everything is next to each other, so you might think... hahaha not :p

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is great. Thanks.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finally finished all of Level 5 in the Method section. I started posting the pieces into the 40 a year thread, as by my calculation I have finished 92 pieces now since the beginning of January (when I was at mid Level 3). It has taken almost 2 months of pretty intensive (around 6000 minutes of Piano Marvel time) playing to go from beginning to end in this level

I had already completed Level 5 in the Technique (see above)

The first piece in Level 6 is a Bach minuet in G minor - but the practice mode just shows the whole piece at the default tempo, so pretty useless. I have started to use the "Prepare" mode to learn the piece

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 108 1 2 3 4 5 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission