Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
82 registered members (90125, Carey, Beowulf, Artur Gajewski, Charles Cohen, 7uturu, Bett, 15 invisible), 902 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2723656
03/23/18 01:14 AM
03/23/18 01:14 AM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Seattle Area
Below is a good reason to get a digital for your kid if you're not prepared to pay at least twice the price of the piano over to just get it moved and tuned, then tune it over several years. Digital instruments have gotten superb. Check out Casio's Privia line, Kawai's MP11 (used) or some of the more entry-level Kurzweil instruments.

Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
I've put this out before but I'll repeat it here for added clarity. A better quality acoustic piano remains more desirable to me than a digital, but a lower quality acoustic piano tends to go hand in hand with the following problems.

Lack of consistency from note to note, both touch and tone. Students are asked to learn scales, perform exercises, and early songs have very simple dynamic variation. A consistent instrument allow the student to be successful at these fundamental tasks before learning to compensate for expression, challenges, room acoustics, etc.

Secondly, when a piano is acquired that cheaply, I've never seen a customer do the recommended services that would cost a significant portion of the purchase. Pay $850 and then pay another $400 - $500 to properly regulate that piano, tune it again, adjust pedals, and minor voicing? Not going to happen. Tune 2x per year, probably not going to happen...most tune once and the student has already quit before they get around to tuning again.

*I have seen family members revive older, basic instruments, including the recommended service for sentimental reasons, and this can still be a cost effective approach to a good "starter" piano.

I see a similar attitude with parents that buy short, unweighted keyboards. I tell people that, as an exploratory exercise, that will last you for 3 months while you decide between piano, guitar or flute lessons, but inevitably, the lack of progress gets blamed on the student or teacher, not the instrument.

If the student is supremely motivated, they can learn on anything, just as the supremely unmotivated student cannot be persuaded by the finest instrument. Most of us are naturally in the middle, needing all the help and encouragement we can get. I do point out that either the "starter" piano or the digitals will not take you past an intermediate level.

For BDB, increasingly, recent technology digital pianos in the sub-$1500 price range have shown to hold 45% - 65% of their value on the private market for 5 - 8 years. Higher priced digitals can take a much bigger hit as they are more tied to "latest" tech, and top-of-line digitals can really take a dive, but they are clearly directed toward lifestyle features over beginner lessons.

It is also increasingly difficult to sell older console pianos at any price because furniture preferences have changed so much that many people will not consider even a good but traditional furniture console for their living room. What used to be the majority of upright sales only 15 years ago is now a tiny percentage of new buyers.

If you add in the cost of just 1 tuning per year for an acoustic and no other regular maintenance, the digital piano has better "cost of ownership". If you go back more than 8 years, I concede there are more factors to consider.

And Kurt, I'm sure your 48" piano is at least 10x better than the Everett console in the discussion.

To the OP. If your budget can go to $2,000+, then there are likely good options on the private market that could be good and desirable and more than just a short term instrument. For less than that, a digital piano benefits a beginner student in nearly all cases, so find an affordable one to start with and start saving for the better acoustic. The Everett may serve your needs, but I do not assume that it will serve you better or longer than a Casio AP270 or Yamaha YDP143, for example.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: Solimarra] #2723697
03/23/18 08:31 AM
03/23/18 08:31 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Interesting opinions, although primarily two different camps; one for an acoustic starter piano, and one for a digital. There are excellent points of view in both camps. I have a Casio Privia 310 digital stage piano that I love. I've played it many times at off-site locations, Churches, weddings, out-door events, etc. It's light, easy to transport, has 88 weighted keys that feel pretty good. The built-in speakers are nothing to brag about, but it sounds fantastic when played through my Roland keyboard amp, or a PA system. I love the different settings, sounds, accompaniments, etc.. and there are so many, I haven't even scratched the surface learning how to use them all. I play it hard, and don't care if I break it. If I break it, I'll buy another one just like it.

But it is not an acoustic piano. There is a difference. So, put me in the camp with the acoustic; at least in this particular instance... smile

To me the biggest advantage of the digital is the need for tuning and maintenance; there is none, unless it stops working when you plug it into the wall outlet.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: Solimarra] #2723713
03/23/18 09:39 AM
03/23/18 09:39 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

I think ultimately it's best to have one of each: acoustic and digital.

Given that a great deal on an acoustic is what you've found, go for it. If the children continue playing, consider adding a digital in a few years.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: Solimarra] #2723911
03/24/18 07:05 AM
03/24/18 07:05 AM
A
Adam107 Offline
Adam107  Offline
A

I'd like to weigh in in favor of getting this inexpensive acoustic piano. My family got a similar piano (in our case, a 50 year old Acrosonic) when my son was 6. I think an acoustic is a far better choice for a child. Digitals sound awesome to kids the first month that they play them - listen to all the sounds that they can make! - and then they lose interest. Even a mediocre acoustic piano makes a wonderful sound when you play a chord, a sound that just rolls around inside after you play it.

Several of my son's friends starting playing piano around the same time he did. Almost to a person, the kids who had acoustic pianos at home are the ones who are still playing now (they're all eleven now). The kids with digitals have forgotten their pianos a long time ago.

I think there's pros and cons to each, but I think for a young kid learning that acoustic is preferable.

Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: Adam107] #2723914
03/24/18 07:34 AM
03/24/18 07:34 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
1000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Adam107
I'd like to weigh in in favor of getting this inexpensive acoustic piano. My family got a similar piano (in our case, a 50 year old Acrosonic) when my son was 6. I think an acoustic is a far better choice for a child. Digitals sound awesome to kids the first month that they play them - listen to all the sounds that they can make! - and then they lose interest. Even a mediocre acoustic piano makes a wonderful sound when you play a chord, a sound that just rolls around inside after you play it.

Several of my son's friends starting playing piano around the same time he did. Almost to a person, the kids who had acoustic pianos at home are the ones who are still playing now (they're all eleven now). The kids with digitals have forgotten their pianos a long time ago.

I think there's pros and cons to each, but I think for a young kid learning that acoustic is preferable.

+1. Acoustic is much preferable imo...

[Linked Image]
Re: Should I buy this piano? [Re: Adam107] #2723988
03/24/18 12:28 PM
03/24/18 12:28 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Adam107

That's an interesting point. I'm mostly in the digital as starter piano camp, but your point about the physical experience of playing an acoustic is a good one. The 'sound just rolls around inside' me when I play my own acoustic in a way it never did on our digital. A child might well be entranced by that experience as well. Less entrancing (for the parent) might be the ongoing upkeep for an acoustic.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single violin or cello voice on DP?
by Novembre. 01/22/19 09:40 PM
Testers for new Piano app
by PianoLIT. 01/22/19 08:33 PM
any backing tracks styles app for piano play?
by ander. 01/22/19 06:17 PM
Getting my first expensive Piano - Kawai CA 78?
by DevNoteHQ. 01/22/19 04:36 PM
Used digital pianos: Yamaha P-140?
by tcquinn. 01/22/19 04:16 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,739
Posts2,784,920
Members92,196
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission