2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Thracozaag:

Horowitz clearly had the technique, but did he have the burning desire and the stamina to play the late Beethoven sonatas to his own satisfaction?
He often performed the Op. 101 sonata (which almost became the Hammerklavier, instead of 106).
Technically, at Op. 101, he directed that all of his sonatas be Grand Sonata fur das Hammerklavier. Posterity has forgotten this, and 106 kept the nickname.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
[b]

Horowitz clearly had the technique, but did he have the burning desire and the stamina to play the late Beethoven sonatas to his own satisfaction?
He often performed the Op. 101 sonata (which almost became the Hammerklavier, instead of 106).
Technically, at Op. 101, he directed that all of his sonatas be Grand Sonata fur das Hammerklavier. Posterity has forgotten this, and 106 kept the nickname. [/b]
Yep, although 106 certainly lives up to the billing.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
M
OP Offline
M
I'm sorry I caused all this confusion about which recording would Beethoven and Horowitz, sounded like. But, thank you for your opinions. Now, I am tempted to introduce a new topic for discussion here. It is, of course, related to the present topic. So, here goes. Now that we've discussed the Hammerklavier, let us look at the other great sonatas in Beethoven's late period (by late period, I refer to sonatas 21-32, op. 53-111), such as the Waldstein, Les Adieux, and Appassionata. May I ask which is your favorite recording? I am omitting the question about Horowitz (he recorded these sonatas), and Beethoven (as we found that question, problematic). And, feel free to continue discussion on the original post. Also, if you wish, please add your own questions about favorite recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by masterhorowitz:
<snip> Now that we've discussed the Hammerklavier, let us look at the other great sonatas in Beethoven's late period (by late period, I refer to sonatas 21-32, op. 53-111), such as the Waldstein, Les Adieux, and Appassionata. May I ask which is your favorite recording? I am omitting the question about Horowitz (he recorded these sonatas), and Beethoven (as we found that question, problematic). And, feel free to continue discussion on the original post. Also, if you wish, please add your own questions about favorite recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas.
Let's get something clear the Waldstein and Appassionata Sonatas are not late period Beethoven. They are mature middle period pieces. Les Adieux is generally considered a transitional piece between the middle and late period and Op. 101 is definitely in the late period (per Wikipedia so it must be true). If you'd like discussion of the Waldstein and Apassionata that's fine, but don't call them late period. You also may want to do a search because they've been discussed.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Fleeting Visions:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Technically, at Op. 101, he directed that all of his sonatas be Grand Sonata fur das Hammerklavier. Posterity has forgotten this, and 106 kept the nickname. [/b]
Yep, although 106 certainly lives up to the billing. [/b]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The funniest thing about it all was that he decided, erroneously, that the piano was a German invention and therefore needed a German name. laugh

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If I recall correctly, when Dino Ciani performed all Beethoven piano sonatas live (in Milan over a two week period in the early 1970s), the Hammerklavier came at the end of one of the concerts... as the applause died away, he (re)launched into the (entire) last movement as an encore eek

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Heh. Jochum did the same thing (i.e., repeat the finale as an encore) after a performance of Bruckner's Fifth!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
B
B
Gould.

S
S
The new pairing of both the Hammerklavier and Moonlight by Perahia are my current favorite interpretations of both those sonatas.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1B7331zmwupxVu4YdFF8pV

Last edited by Steve.L; 03/18/18 06:42 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Friends:
Not to be a contrarian, but no one has mentioned Backhaus. My God, he was stupendous.
Karl Watson

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There may be some newer recordings or re-issues to consider since this thread was started over nine years ago.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Solomon

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
F
F
My favorite is Vestard Shimkus. He displays jaw-dropping virtuosity and a lot of individuality, so in those regards, I suppose he might come close to Horowitz. Although the Adagio was glacial, Yuri Favorin's at the 2017 Van Cliburn had its Horowitz moments. But as others have said, it's pointless to speculate who plays it like he might have. I have a live performance of Op.101 by Horowitz, and as much as I love his playing, I have to say late Beethoven is not his thing! It's not the least bit spiritual, and it's full of wrong notes. Maybe just a bad night.

Yama B3
X
X
I did not know Shimkus recorded hammerklavier, He has some great interpretations I'll have to give that a listen.

I now have a signature.
B
B
Michael B.: What is the second rule?

V
V
Now that we have discussed Hammerklavier, whose interpretation do you like the most of op. 109-111? For me it's Gilels for op. 110, Arrau for 111 and for 109 I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission