Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (bounced, David Boyce, cliowa, barbaram, Angelos58, EssBrace, Agent88, Beemer, CharlesXX, 12 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Leenie] #2722109
03/18/18 02:03 AM
03/18/18 02:03 AM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Europe
In conclusion it was misjudgement on my part. The Cm prelude from wtc 1 really takes some working to be played like that. My apologies smile

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: bennevis] #2722347
03/18/18 08:03 PM
03/18/18 08:03 PM
Usa
G
Grandman Offline
500 Post Club Member
Grandman  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Usa
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by Leenie
I just purchased a Roland LX7, which I thought I liked better than the Kawai, but when I started playing it at home, I started questioning my decision.
Thought the keys were a little noisy. So I went back to the store to test the one they had and it did play the same way, than I compared it to an acoustic, which also
has mechanical noise to the keys, which I never really noticed before. Than I played the Kawai again and for some classical melodic pieces seemed to sound nicer than the Roland. I am a piano teacher and play a lot of classical music.Need help, what is some of your opinions on which is the better instrument?.

Yes, LX7 sounds synthetic to my ears too. Maybe you are new to digital pianos but there are two main types of digital piano sound engines: modeled and sampled. LX7 is the former. It is still scientifically unclear as to why modeled pianos sound very artificial to some people but that's a fact. I am also one of those people. To my ears the only satisfying sound is from sampled piano engines. If I were you, I would try to sell the LX7 as soon as possible

I do admire you for putting words into another poster's mouth and advising a classical pianist (who's probably a much more experienced pianist than you) who likes her instrument to sell it, just because you keep selling and buying new ones yourself.....

I don't recall the OP using the word "synthetic", do you?

Leenie, you liked the LX7 better for a reason. But then you thought the Kawai 'seemed to sound better for some classical melodic pieces'. Coming here to ask what you should do is inviting the likes of CG (who has a long track record of dissing all modelled digitals) to tell you to get rid of your purchase.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but like TonyB, I don't think you want to join the ranks of those who keep changing their digitals just as soon as a 'better' one comes along, or as soon as they find something they like more in another one. No digital is perfect, just as no acoustic is perfect.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that modelled digitals are much more satisfying to play, especially for a classical pianist, and they behave much more like real pianos because they are not restricted by the limits of what the manufacturer chose to sample. I'd long ago lost interest in visiting DP stores just to try new ones for fun, because every new sampled digital behaves the same way and I find their range of expressive possibilities limit what I want to bring out in the music. It just gets boring, and I rapidly lose interest. Not something I can say for my modelled digital (V-Piano), which I'm still playing on three to four hours a day ever since I bought it eight years ago (and learnt lots of new advanced rep on it, for performance on an acoustic grand).

+1

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Leenie] #2722362
03/18/18 08:47 PM
03/18/18 08:47 PM
D
Dreamingstill Offline
Dreamingstill  Offline
D

Leenie, you won't regret buying the LX7. It will serve you well for many years.

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Leenie] #2722437
03/19/18 03:02 AM
03/19/18 03:02 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Online content
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C

Sofia, Bulgaria
I don't see the point of you guys, owners of Roland fully modeled pianos, being offended by my personal opinion about modeled pianos. The OP is apparently not satisfied with his LX7 compared to a sampled piano. He hasn't shared in details what he found lacking compared to that sampled piano, so to an extent I put words in his mouth. But let's face it, if one is complaining about modeled piano sound compared to sampled piano sound what could that be? How many different complaints have you heard? Are we counting all the various words? It's apparent that when one doesn't like modeled sound it's the typical modeled sound character. You can call it synthetic, metallic, unrealistic or whatever but it's basically one and same deficiency of the modeled nature. I stand behind my advice. If one feels dissatisfied with his piano at such an early stage of ownership he better replaces it with what he likes better. Bringing up some philosophical theses about consumer society trends is not helpful. This is his first digital instrument, he hasn't read the forums prior to feeling the instrument is not satisfactory so he hasn't been influenced by me or other guys who upgraded their digitals from time to time (as if that's bad...). As a matter of fact, he is presumably an advanced classical pianist who is buying his first digital instrument and discovers that he's not satisfied with LX7 and feels CA78 is better. And you come here arguing his preference smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/19/18 03:20 AM.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Leenie] #2722454
03/19/18 05:13 AM
03/19/18 05:13 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline
C

South Wales
I suspect we may have lost Leenie. Might have been better to stick to the subject.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Leenie] #2722461
03/19/18 06:04 AM
03/19/18 06:04 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

We lost Leenie! Why god, why?

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Pete14] #2722466
03/19/18 06:17 AM
03/19/18 06:17 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
Originally Posted by Pete14

Made one post, and that was the last time they logged on - not come back to see any replies

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: CyberGene] #2722495
03/19/18 07:58 AM
03/19/18 07:58 AM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I don't see the point of you guys, owners of Roland fully modeled pianos, being offended by my personal opinion about modeled pianos. The OP is apparently not satisfied with his LX7 compared to a sampled piano. He hasn't shared in details what he found lacking compared to that sampled piano, so to an extent I put words in his mouth. But let's face it, if one is complaining about modeled piano sound compared to sampled piano sound what could that be? How many different complaints have you heard? Are we counting all the various words? It's apparent that when one doesn't like modeled sound it's the typical modeled sound character. You can call it synthetic, metallic, unrealistic or whatever but it's basically one and same deficiency of the modeled nature. I stand behind my advice. If one feels dissatisfied with his piano at such an early stage of ownership he better replaces it with what he likes better. Bringing up some philosophical theses about consumer society trends is not helpful. This is his first digital instrument, he hasn't read the forums prior to feeling the instrument is not satisfactory so he hasn't been influenced by me or other guys who upgraded their digitals from time to time (as if that's bad...). As a matter of fact, he is presumably an advanced classical pianist who is buying his first digital instrument and discovers that he's not satisfied with LX7 and feels CA78 is better. And you come here arguing his preference smile

I, personally, am not offended by someone else's opinion. We each like what we like. However, please remember that we live in an age in which people seem to feel entitled the right to be offended by most anything these days. It has reached a level of silliness that will hopefully become obvious enough to most so that the pendulum starts to swing back to a more reasonable position.

Tony

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: akc42] #2722597
03/19/18 10:56 AM
03/19/18 10:56 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by akc42

Made one post, and that was the last time they logged on - not come back to see any replies

Maybe they have email notifications set for when the thread updates?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: Gombessa] #2722608
03/19/18 11:33 AM
03/19/18 11:33 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Gombessa

After the third or fourth "modelling/sampling is better than sampling/modelling" post they would surely have disabled those, no? wink

Re: Roland LX7 vs. Kawai CA78 [Re: JoBert] #2722649
03/19/18 01:41 PM
03/19/18 01:41 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Gombessa

After the third or fourth "modelling/sampling is better than sampling/modelling" post they would surely have disabled those, no? wink

Well, dang, the only alternative to repetitive posting here is to ... play the darn things. Why would anybody want to do that when forums are so much more fun, even if it has all been said already? smile

Tony

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Kawai CN37 Worth The Extra Money?
by yarinch. 11/15/18 04:05 AM
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,338
Posts2,761,231
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission