2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Excuse the slight irony in my tone hag01, but I would like to know your level as a pianist.

Actually I already know it, since you've been active on a couple of threads. Of course, anyone is entitled to an opinion. All I'm saying is that somebody who doesn't follow the forum regularly has no knowledge of the level of the poster, and may give more weight to the opinion than is justified.

I think dissing an entire brand in such strong terms, even while stating that that's your personal opinion, is an exaggeration and some context must be given.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Nevermind.

Last edited by hag01; 03/16/18 01:31 PM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Bennevis, sorry if I missed that but are you a professional classical pianist? Do you have a public profile? What's your real name? Is there any chance you are endorsed by Roland to use the V-Grand? I've never seen you mentioning your real name or posting any classical recording you made on the V-Grand but you keep using your supposed professional classical background to justify and advertise the modeled Roland pianos. Of course, if I've missed your real name and/or videos, I do apologize.

No need to apologize, but there are a few semi-professional recordings of me playing classical pieces on a couple of piano websites. Of course, you'll need to know my real name first, which is grin wink cool

BTW, I make it a point not to earn any money from my playing, because I have a full-time job unrelated to music, and I don't want to deprive pianists who depend on performing for their living. If there's a paying job, it should go to them, not me, so I decline all such jobs.

So, I perform a (free) monthly recital for a mostly non-musical audience, for the joy of it and in a proselytizing role, to encourage people to enjoy classical music and maybe even take up (or restart) a musical instrument. I play only the music I like, and over the years, I have had some success in my self-appointed role. People - many of whom have never heard classical music played live before - ask me about the music I played, and how to get started or re-started on their long-forgotten musical instrument which had been gathering dust at home. At least I feel I'm spreading the word that classical music is for everyone, and making use of my hard-earned performance diploma.

BTW I don't own, and have never owned a V-Grand, though it's the closest digital to a real concert grand, as I discovered when I played on one in a concert hall in London. (Any donations from Roland gratefully received grin).

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by hag01
Nevermind.

I'm sorry, I have missed your post before editing, and I mean no disrespect, but my question still remained unanswered. I will be as presumptuous to answer it myself, in this case. Feel free to correct me.
First of all, the OP is a piano teacher, plays classical piano and I think that it's safe to assume that's at an advanced level.
Now, for your input that I felt the need to reply to: I noticed that you are a beginner, if I remember well, mostly self taught, and even very basic classical pieces are at this time very difficult for you.
Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that learning piano is amazing and your passion is absolutely great! You should keep at it and keep growing. I'm mostly self taught myself (intermediate-advanced at this point) and I truly appreciate this passion in any form it takes. So you have my utmost respect for that!
All I really wanted to say is that you're not yet on a level where you can really evaluate actions and piano behaviour in an objective (as much as it can be) manner, and much less so to counsel others on their piano of choice and dis an entire brand in such strong terms. It's like not being able to drive even around the block well enough, but saying some brand of cars is terrible and drives very poorly, and another is way better.
And when you give this reply to a person who put a hefty sum into a product and you maybe make them second-guess their decision, you may cause discontent without any valid basis whatsoever.
Sorry if I overstepped, but I believe that they're entitled to knowing this.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
mcoll, I don't think anyone here need your help exposing who am I and what is my level.
I openly put a link to my YouTube channel in my profile, and I'm surprised you haven't noticed to that(is it so difficult to click on my profile?).
In my YouTube channel, you can hear rercordings of me play piano.
You also can see and hear me play guitar, which is my first instrument, and you also can hear my original compositions.
So all in all, a bit of research in my YouTube channel can give you a good hint about what kind of musician am I, and what is my level in the various things I do.

I'm not considering myself as an advanced pianist at all, but I play piano for a while now, and I am not a beginner.
I don't know how youv'e got to the conclusion that I'm slef thought, I learnt and still learn from a teacher regularly.

Now about Roland, firstly, I think their piano actions are generally good.
I just hate the PHA-50 because of my special phisical problem I have with it, which mentioned above.
I much much prefer PHA-40. actually, I played on a Roland RD-800 with the PHA-40 long time ago so I'm not sure how serious is what I remember from it, but I think that PHA-40 has very similar feeling specifically to my new vertical piano, more than to other acoustic pianos I played on for that matter.
Even Roland Ivory Feel G is really nice IMO.
Anyway, I still think that Kawai GF2 is better than anything by Roland.

But Roland is not just a piano actions factory.
Rolad keyboards have great acoustic piano sounds but IMO too many awful non acoustic piano sounds.
I really don't like their digital guitar amps.
I think Roland integra 7 should have been sold as a 50-100$ VST plugin like Korg have done with their M1 and Wavestation, because those sounds are extremely dated and sound like a joke in our VST area.
Having that said, I have one Roland product in my home that I really like, which is Roland CM-30 Cube Monitor. I use it mainly paired with my Line 6 Helix guitar amp modeler.

Last edited by hag01; 03/17/18 03:40 PM.
C
C
Well, this thread seemed to have gone sideways.

Anyway, I would just add as an owner of a Roland HP605 that to my ears modeled sound is synthetic or unrealistic; I'm much happier now using VI's (sampled). But what has been repeated frequently---- what does your ear like?

Last edited by Cinjero; 03/17/18 03:27 PM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Leenie - hope you are still with us. At school I would play the Steinway grand virtually every day, and my own Rogers up at home, and numerous other pianos. So just to repeat what I said earlier, the LX7 is a splendid instrument, very good action and dynamic range and response. I think you should ignore Haq01's comments. Not really relevant.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
“Well, this thread seemed to have gone sideways.”

I agree! The bushings on this one have gone loose. We need to bring in a good technician to tighten up them loose bushings.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hag, maybe I exaggerated a little. I remember you posting the batman recording not so long ago and accusing I don't remember which dp because of the timing of the playing. Others suggested that the piano was not the reason for the timing problems (and I agreed with that). Maybe my memory tricked me, but that's what I based my reaction on.
I looked at your yt account now, I see recent recordings are significantly better timed. If those are actual recordings and aren't significantly edited, then I admit that I exaggerated.
As for the guitar, nice playing! smile

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
mcoll, I thought you are talking about that controversial thread.

So let me tell you that:
I regret about all of this.
I admit that my digital piano was not the fault of my timing problems.
And I even posted in this forum an apologize thread.

I never edit my recordings because that is cheating and I'm not a cheater, and that is why you could notice the timing problems in that batman recordings, because I didn't edit.
I'll tell you what was the real problem:
1. The smaller problem - Not good velocity curve in Pianoteq, made me struggle to control the sound, and therefore the whole playing was tougher.
2. The main problem:
Trying to nail a piece without sitting enough time and practice it and prepare it patiently.
I simply was frustrated and lost my patient and took it out on my digital piano.
And I'm truely sorry about that and appologize, and I think it was really stupid and despicable.

The recordings that you heard in my YouTube channels, each of those pieces, I worked hard and patiently on them before the recording.
But now after I didn't played them for a while I can not nail them like this again.
If I want to nail those pieces again I have to start over practice them again.

And I think that leads me to the core of why I opened that notorious thread, bashing digital pianos; Here a recording of me playing this batman arrangement few years ago:
https://youtu.be/TwaRlDykdr8
I worked really hard on this arrangement before this recording.
After that recording I didn't played that for a long time, and then I returned to it and couldn't nail it immediately, it wasn't as difficult as in the first time, but still I had to do some patient practicing.

Another thing is that I think the best thing I can do for my pianistics is to improve my coordination, and my teacher give me now good materials for that.
Improved coordination will help me to learn pieces faster, and play them faster.

I'm sorry for the deviation from the original subject of this thread, just wanted clarify my true opinion after the controversy I created in this forum few month ago.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
In conclusion it was misjudgement on my part. The Cm prelude from wtc 1 really takes some working to be played like that. My apologies smile

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Leenie
I just purchased a Roland LX7, which I thought I liked better than the Kawai, but when I started playing it at home, I started questioning my decision.
Thought the keys were a little noisy. So I went back to the store to test the one they had and it did play the same way, than I compared it to an acoustic, which also
has mechanical noise to the keys, which I never really noticed before. Than I played the Kawai again and for some classical melodic pieces seemed to sound nicer than the Roland. I am a piano teacher and play a lot of classical music.Need help, what is some of your opinions on which is the better instrument?.

Yes, LX7 sounds synthetic to my ears too. Maybe you are new to digital pianos but there are two main types of digital piano sound engines: modeled and sampled. LX7 is the former. It is still scientifically unclear as to why modeled pianos sound very artificial to some people but that's a fact. I am also one of those people. To my ears the only satisfying sound is from sampled piano engines. If I were you, I would try to sell the LX7 as soon as possible

I do admire you for putting words into another poster's mouth and advising a classical pianist (who's probably a much more experienced pianist than you) who likes her instrument to sell it, just because you keep selling and buying new ones yourself.....

I don't recall the OP using the word "synthetic", do you?

Leenie, you liked the LX7 better for a reason. But then you thought the Kawai 'seemed to sound better for some classical melodic pieces'. Coming here to ask what you should do is inviting the likes of CG (who has a long track record of dissing all modelled digitals) to tell you to get rid of your purchase.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but like TonyB, I don't think you want to join the ranks of those who keep changing their digitals just as soon as a 'better' one comes along, or as soon as they find something they like more in another one. No digital is perfect, just as no acoustic is perfect.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that modelled digitals are much more satisfying to play, especially for a classical pianist, and they behave much more like real pianos because they are not restricted by the limits of what the manufacturer chose to sample. I'd long ago lost interest in visiting DP stores just to try new ones for fun, because every new sampled digital behaves the same way and I find their range of expressive possibilities limit what I want to bring out in the music. It just gets boring, and I rapidly lose interest. Not something I can say for my modelled digital (V-Piano), which I'm still playing on three to four hours a day ever since I bought it eight years ago (and learnt lots of new advanced rep on it, for performance on an acoustic grand).

+1

D
D
Leenie, you won't regret buying the LX7. It will serve you well for many years.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't see the point of you guys, owners of Roland fully modeled pianos, being offended by my personal opinion about modeled pianos. The OP is apparently not satisfied with his LX7 compared to a sampled piano. He hasn't shared in details what he found lacking compared to that sampled piano, so to an extent I put words in his mouth. But let's face it, if one is complaining about modeled piano sound compared to sampled piano sound what could that be? How many different complaints have you heard? Are we counting all the various words? It's apparent that when one doesn't like modeled sound it's the typical modeled sound character. You can call it synthetic, metallic, unrealistic or whatever but it's basically one and same deficiency of the modeled nature. I stand behind my advice. If one feels dissatisfied with his piano at such an early stage of ownership he better replaces it with what he likes better. Bringing up some philosophical theses about consumer society trends is not helpful. This is his first digital instrument, he hasn't read the forums prior to feeling the instrument is not satisfactory so he hasn't been influenced by me or other guys who upgraded their digitals from time to time (as if that's bad...). As a matter of fact, he is presumably an advanced classical pianist who is buying his first digital instrument and discovers that he's not satisfied with LX7 and feels CA78 is better. And you come here arguing his preference smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/19/18 04:20 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I suspect we may have lost Leenie. Might have been better to stick to the subject.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
We lost Leenie! Why god, why?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14

Made one post, and that was the last time they logged on - not come back to see any replies

[Linked Image]

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I don't see the point of you guys, owners of Roland fully modeled pianos, being offended by my personal opinion about modeled pianos. The OP is apparently not satisfied with his LX7 compared to a sampled piano. He hasn't shared in details what he found lacking compared to that sampled piano, so to an extent I put words in his mouth. But let's face it, if one is complaining about modeled piano sound compared to sampled piano sound what could that be? How many different complaints have you heard? Are we counting all the various words? It's apparent that when one doesn't like modeled sound it's the typical modeled sound character. You can call it synthetic, metallic, unrealistic or whatever but it's basically one and same deficiency of the modeled nature. I stand behind my advice. If one feels dissatisfied with his piano at such an early stage of ownership he better replaces it with what he likes better. Bringing up some philosophical theses about consumer society trends is not helpful. This is his first digital instrument, he hasn't read the forums prior to feeling the instrument is not satisfactory so he hasn't been influenced by me or other guys who upgraded their digitals from time to time (as if that's bad...). As a matter of fact, he is presumably an advanced classical pianist who is buying his first digital instrument and discovers that he's not satisfied with LX7 and feels CA78 is better. And you come here arguing his preference smile

I, personally, am not offended by someone else's opinion. We each like what we like. However, please remember that we live in an age in which people seem to feel entitled the right to be offended by most anything these days. It has reached a level of silliness that will hopefully become obvious enough to most so that the pendulum starts to swing back to a more reasonable position.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by akc42

Made one post, and that was the last time they logged on - not come back to see any replies

Maybe they have email notifications set for when the thread updates?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by akc42

Maybe they have email notifications set for when the thread updates?

After the third or fourth "modelling/sampling is better than sampling/modelling" post they would surely have disabled those, no? wink

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission