2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone,

I'm 35 years old now and decided I wanted to pickup an instrument again. I play the ukulele (intermediate type of playing, solo instrumentals ect) which I have been doing for a year or so. I got a keyboard and I wanted to get back at it but I am feeling like I am not sure where to get started.

I used to play as a child / early teen did piano lessons recitals and stuff like that. I know some theory and but nothing too crazy.

My goal for my playing is to first and foremost have fun. I love all types of modern music and love the idea of doing mashup of covers and just having a blast with some improve / arrangements.

So I am here seeking some advice as to where should I start. I should mention I have no intention on going to traditional lessons or anything like that.

Any advice on what I should work on? Or am I overthinking all of this and should just pick a piece of music I want to learn and cover and just go at it.

Maybe a better question is: I would like to cover a pop song from the radio where should I start?

When I tackle music on the uke I first figure out the chords to the song or look them up. I then play with the original track and get a feel for different strumming patterns and such. I then learn the melody and finally build the chord around the melody. Add some flare and refine the arrangement adding little things here and there . Is doing this on the piano much of the same?

Sorry if this post is kind of all over the place...

Thanks in advance

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
This sounds like what you are looking for ....

https://www.pianoinaflash.com/

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I learnt up to grade 3 up to age 10, then a 56 year gap to 6 months ago.

Why no teacher? That is the first thing I did. I wanted to learn Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata - so my teacher guided me through it.

Also -checkout www.pianomarvel.com - its like a piano oriented computer game. Great fun whilst you learn progressively harder and harder pieces. There is a few of us doing this - see this thread
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710598/other-people-do-piano-marvel.html Don't need a teacher for that - but recognise its limitations, no dynamics, peddling or speed changes (rubato)

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome back. It is refreshing to hear someone say they want to have fun! After all, that's what its all about. Have fun and enjoy!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The most important thing when playing music is to have fun. There are kids who got enrolled into piano or violin by their parents and they absolutely hated music. Don't turn music into an academic exercise. Any type of music you like to play you'd find arrangements online.

Have fun...

Hey Philip,

I'm about the same age as you and decided to get back into playing pretty much at the same moment in life, also after having played for a couple of years as a kid.

I did decide to go for a teacher and I think you should too. Life's too short to still be messing around at our age. Especially when you allready have some background, a teacher will help a lot in figuring out what you actually know already and what you need to know to get where you want. You will get there a lot faster, and if you found a good teacher you will enjoy the process of getting there more too. For example: A teacher can help you find repertoire that you enjoy, that is just challenging enough for you so you are not tempted to try things that are above your level, leaving you frustrated.

Piano is also a very unforgiving instrument. Although I chose to go the classical route where dynamics and phrasing are all the more important, this goes for popular music too. It's a lot easier to sound moderately good when messing around on ukelele and even guitar than it is on a piano (And I've messed around with all of the above). Figuring out a nice acompanyment takes a lot more theory too, if only because you have a lot more options at your disposal.

So what I'd advise is to find a teacher that is more pop oriented, and ask your questions there. If you can't afford one or would like to go your own pace, find one that is able to give you lessons on a monthly basis. That is still infinately better than faring blind.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission