2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Waltz Recital

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in The REAL Waltz Recital that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/The_Waltz_Recital/response-template.txt

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Schubertian! I'm really glad I joined this recital. So much more than just oom-pah-pah smile

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I somehow messed up the "recording method" entry for my piece. It's recorded using the direct audio recording to USB on my piano.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
I am taking the opportunity to take the lead with a first set of comments, though I have not yet listened to all the renditions, just picked here and there. But this recital is so fantastic that it deserves timely positive feedback.

01 JoBert – Brahms Waltz 39/3 A very nice little miniature, beautifully played.

02 PianogrlNW (Ellen) – Gentle Waltz (Peterson) So melancholic a waltz… Gentle and pleasant indeed.

03 Tim Adrianson - Jitterbug Waltz (Waller) I would call this a lyrical piece in Grieg’s sense, though more modern. Rather pleasant and not very jazzy. The rhythm reminded me a bit of “Ain’t misbehaving”.

06 MeganR - Beethoven Dance Oh, this is nice. I never thought Beethoven was a dancer, but he is, indeed. This must be one of his early compositions, it has some early Mozart or Haydn appeal.

07 dumka1 – Chopin Waltz 69/1 Yes, one is never satisfied with one’s recordings. Even Artur Rubinstein once said in an interview that once he has made a recording he wants all he world to hear it, but on the next day he would like to improve this or that part and wishes to re-record and delete the former rendition. Now, your recording is fantastic as it is, I would not say it needs more rubato, that is just a matter of taste. You are playing like a professional pianist and Chopin interpreter, Rafal Blechacz or the like, never trying to obscure difficulties with the pedal, perfect run at 0:44, nicely soft left hand. The sound of the Steinway is so wonderful… I wish somebody could give me access to such an instrument, but that being unrealistic I have to use a virtual solution with the software piano Galaxy Vintage D (a sampled Steinway D). Not really bad, but if you directly compare the two sounds you will find that the sound of your real Steinway is much better. Chopin wrote this waltz as a farewell to his former fiancée Maria Wodzinska. Maria and Chopin were engaged to be married, but her father objected to the match because of Chopin’s poor health. And what did Chopin get instead? George Sand. Now, that is what I call sad.

15 Beemer – Shostakovich Waltz from Jazz Suite A very interesting piece. I did not know there was a piano transcription (by whom?), I only knew the piece as an orchestral piece. “Jazz Suite” and “Jazz Orchestra” are to some extent incorrect denominations – Shostakovich wanted to compose modern music in a somewhat western-oriented style but the Soviet government in those days forced him not to write jazz since that was considered capitalistically decadent. So he came up with music in the style of a spa orchestra and called it a jazz suite which it is definitely not in comparison to composers like Gershwin.

20 squidbot (Chris B) – Chopin Waltz a minor posth. This is a fantastic rendition of one of Chopin’s so-called minor works. He wanted them to be burned after his death. Thank God, his request was not heard. Chris, I love the sound of your recording and adore your playing. You are a very talented Chopin interpreter. Artur Rubinstein would not have played this better.

23 BsharpCyclist – Chopin Waltz a minor posth. A fine melancholic small waltz, very well played.

28 Wizbang – Pleasant Moments A very popular Joplin piece, I know so very well for many years, playing it myself. Fine rendition, the sound of your instrument suits this piece very well.

30 SMA55 Shepherd Abams – Chopin Waltz 64/2 Wonderful rendition, full of clarity with little pedal. Fantastic! I particularly like your soft left hand. This is perfect, I cannot say more than that.

32, 33 SwissMs (Doris) - Rebikov and Kossenko Waltzes Two charming, gentle miniature waltzes of composers I was not yet familiar with. So much beautiful music to discover... I did not watch the video, I believe from the audio that you played it - I know that you are a fine pianist. It seems that the first left hand chord after he initial bass note at 0:01 in the Rebikov waltz is a tenth with the fifth in the middle (f# - c# -a as far as I can hear), so you are perfectly able to play that. Tenths are not that difficult, not even for small hands, you just have to play them in an arpeggio manner. And they sound so good... I did not hear any tenths or ninths in the Kossenko piece except maybe at 0:54 and 1:00, but that is hard to figure out by ear.

42 Moonsh1ne – Chopin Waltz 64/2 This is quite a difficult piece that you are mastering very well. I only wish you had some better recording equipment.

43 Schubertian – La [valse/pièce] plus que lente A very romantic, not too impressionistic Debussy piece that I did not know yet. Fantastic playing with wonderful rubatos and arpeggios. Embarrassing that nobody turned the pages for you. "Plus que lent(e)" means "more than slow".

S
S
I've only managed to listen to a few of the performances in this recital so far, but that was prior to the official recital thread was successfully implemented. Consequently, I have yet to make any comments about specific pieces--but I plan to in the near future. For now, I will just say that there is some really, really fine work here! Bravo!

On a different subject, after the official recital thread was begun, I noted that the video link to my own performance of Chopin's Waltz in C# minor was problematic. Oh, the link takes you to a video alright, but that video is markedly out of sync with the audio. I couldn't even begin to guess why or how that happened. At any rate, if anyone cares to watch and hear it in sync--and doesn't mind listening to a bit of canned laughter during my performance--feel free to click here.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
@SMA55 I watched both your videos - I've been in love with this piece since my duet buddy played it for me once - and I find them both clear and powerful, intense, with just the right amount of rubato. Also, very nice sound.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks so much for organising this Schubertian, and for persisting through all the technical struggles!
Here is my first batch of comments, working from the end

35. diretonic - Waltz for Debby
Lovely version of this standard

36. diretonic - It's a Raggy Waltz
Great foot tapping energy!

37. mp15 - Valse Impromptu, S.213 Impressive!

38. outo - Waltz op 69
Well done for pulling something out of the hat at the last minute! This is a charming little piece for sure.

39. PikaPianist - Waltz (Lyric Pieces Op.38, No.7)
Beautifully played, as always from you! Youtube automatically played your Boëly piece directly afterwards, which I think was from the French recital last year, so beautiful!

40. Greener/Jeff - Gravy Waltz
Another illustration of why the pianoworld forums are the internet at its very best! I’m inspired to read about your collaboration with diretonic, and I think you can both be really proud of the output. I really enjoyed this, it’s catchy, and pacy, holds the interest really well, and despite your comments, a great performance too

41. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in e minor
Lovely piece from a composer I didn’t know of. What an interesting life story! And lovely performance too

42. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in C sharp Minor Op.64 No. 2 Comments before reading your notes & watching the video (only the first 30 secs or so): V nice playing, sound quality doesn’t quite do it justice.
After reading about your impromptu Steinway Hall recording & the need to clean up air con noise, I switched to your video: Wow, lovely!!! The gorgeous sound of the piano shines through despite the sound issues, and this really flows and sings as you settle into it

43. Schubertian - La plus que lente Lovely, especially the end captured me

[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you, very much barbaram. What a nice thing to say.

I am very impressed by the content and quality musicianship of this recital. It is a pleasure listening to this recital and I will be enjoying it much more still to come. Due do some personal commitment, it will be later in the week as tomorrow is out completely now.

I'm not so good with OP numbers and thought OP 69. No. 2 was going to be something else. What it is though is a delight and one I must learn now. Excellent performance, David. The Ab waltz has always been a favorite Chopin waltz for me and the performance of it by dumka1 is outstanding and really, very well done. There are many more. I always love a good waltz and this recital has plenty of gems both classical and non. I'll be Bach. Meanwhile, congratulations to all participating with these excellent performances.

Thank you, Schubertian for being our gracious host and making it all possible.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Some more comments.

08 sinophilia – Granados waltz I love such chromatic bass lines going hand in hand with the corresponding harmony progressions. A very poetic little sentimental piece. I have heard the tune before somewhere without knowing what it was. Congratulations to your beautiful rendition.

16 zsolpyW – Chopin waltz E major posth. Thanks for presenting this fine, less often played Chopin piece. It has all the elements that make up a fantastic Chopin waltz.

18 PianogrlNW (Ellen) – Memories of a Viennese Park (Brubeck) A fine modern nocturne in 3/4 time, not quite a waltz, but definitely a good approach to introduce classical pianists to somewhat jazz-oriented music. I am regularly attending the concerts at the Hamburg University of Music and always get into discussions with the piano students afterwards. I can confirm that many classical piano students cannot play jazz, indeed, and most jazz piano students are unable to play classical music. So there really is a big need for a bridge between these styles.

24 Greener (Jeff) – Song to Elitha (Peterson) Elitha (what a strange spelling, I thought it should be “Eliza”) must be a very lucky girl. First she got a composition from Beethoven (“Fuer Elise”), then she got this one from Oscar Peterson. Congratulations to your teacher who scored this piece that well. I love those harmonies with “ajoutés” and the way Peterson is going through different key signatures, starting from d minor through A-flat major and A major. This is a fantastic piece. Could it be possible to get the score?

25 Greywullf – Grieg waltz 12/2 This waltz is also in my repertoire. It is a bit tricky in the “B” part with the melody in the left hand. One can play this waltz in many different ways, and your rendition is very appropriate. However, I am playing it with less pedal and some more staccato notes, maybe more in the style of one of your other 4 recordings that you did not post. But that is just a matter of taste. Great job!

More to come over the weekend.

D
D
What an amazing recital! So many beautiful waltzes in a variety of styles, and such high quality performances. All the contemporary/jazz/folk pieces were new to me, I really enjoyed them. And you can't go wrong with Chopin, Grieg, Brahms, Liszt or Debussy. Or the Russians. Thanks everybody and special thanks to Schubertian for making it happen.

Pianist685 and Greener, thank you for your generous comments on my performance.

Originally Posted by barbaram

41. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in e minor
Lovely piece from a composer I didn’t know of. What an interesting life story! And lovely performance too

As a Russian literature professor and somebody who grew up reading and loving Griboedov's play, I'm so thrilled Moonsh1ne has introduced him to the forum. Indeed what a rich and tragic life. Too bad the play doesn't translate well--it's too idiomatic and aphoristic. The waltz is beautiful, I always wanted to learn it but didn't get to it.

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Terrific recital to listen to, boy -- thanks to all who participated! The first half of my batch of comments:

01 JoBert -- Great start to the proceedings, JoBert! Would love to hear you play the whole set; or, failing that, a bouquet of some of the Brahms Waltzes. I've done the set myself, and there are a few murderous ones when transcribed for solo piano. Great sense of style.

02 PianogrlNW -- Beautifully fluid, skillful rendering of Oscar Peterson's waltz. There is a running monthly thread in ABF called "Piano Bar" -- pieces like this would fit like a glove in that format, if you're so persuaded.

MeganR -- Solid performance of early Beethoven -- I agree with you that it could use a bit more speed, and I would say a little more attention to accents to enhance the dance aspect -- but very enjoyable as is.

dumka1 -- For me, this was a very successful rendition in the sense that it WAS straightforward, upbeat, with little rubato -- I like it just that way. For my taste, the "C" section could be "milked" a little more for its grace and charm, but otherwise I hear it as more dancelike and not terribly intimate and sad. The first of unusually good renditions of Chopin Waltzes in this recital.

sinophilia -- Granados is justifiably credited with a keen poetic lyricism, and this early work is a clear precursor to his better known Eight Poetic Waltzes. Your rendition was appropriately graceful and elegant; my only suggestion is to approach it the same way with slightly less pedal.

Pianist685 -- Of your two selections, the Satie was the real surprise of the recital -- who would've thought that Satie was a genial purveyor of the Concert Waltz? And this would precede his mystical Rosicrucian phase, with the minimalist Gymnopedies and Gnossienes, and later the strange piano suites, strange in all ways. Very expertly rendered, as was the well-known Brahms Waltz.

barbaram -- Of the two you presented, I was amused by the fact the composer who penned what he declared to be the "Irish Waltz" was easily eclipsed by the "Keegan Waltz", which I found to be REALLY Irish in feel, and was by far my favorite of the two. I'd love to hear the Keegan Waltz set to fiddle, Uillean pipes, and percussion. Solidly presented.

Beemer -- well, this sure ain't Jazz, although Shostakovich did in other cases prove that he understood Jazz very well (I give you "Tea for Two" as an example). I can imagine this as background music for an arty European movie -- and, indeed, a young Shostakovich actually provided live piano music for silent movies as one of his first jobs.

zsolpyW -- I was interested in your interpretation of the posthumous Chopin Waltz, because I myself volunteered to play this in a Chopin Waltz recital on ABF several years back (evidently, that recital is not in Archives). I opted for a little more graceful Parisian feel, if I recall, whereas you play it with an earthier quality that I personally found quite persuasive. Great job on it!

More to follow!

S
S
Pianist685 and sinophilia, thank you both very much for your generously kind comments on my performance.

As I said previously, I’m very much enjoying the high level performances in this recital! Here are my first few comments, in no particular order.

01. JoBert - Waltz (Opus 39, No. 3)
Really beautiful and so well played. Love your touch!

06. MeganR - German Dance WoO 13 No 1
Nicely done!

08. sinophilia - Andantino quasi allegretto - No. 8 from Valses romanticos
Sweet little piece, and you played it so nice and delicately.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Fantaisie-valse
So nicely played! I was impressed and really enjoyed this. Great work!

10. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz Op. 39 No. 15
Again really nice! You definitely have an impressive command of the instrument.

11. barbaram - Keegan's Waltz
I really enjoyed the character of this piece. And your playing was flawless. Well done!

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
[quote=Pianist685]I am taking the opportunity to take the lead with a first set of comments, though I have not yet listened to all the renditions, just picked here and there. But this recital is so fantastic that it deserves timely positive feedback.

snip....

15 Beemer – Shostakovich Waltz from Jazz Suite A very interesting piece. I did not know there was a piano transcription (by whom?), I only knew the piece as an orchestral piece. “Jazz Suite” and “Jazz Orchestra” are to some extent incorrect denominations – Shostakovich wanted to compose modern music in a somewhat western-oriented style but the Soviet government in those days forced him not to write jazz since that was considered capitalistically decadent. So he came up with music in the style of a spa orchestra and called it a jazz suite which it is definitely not in comparison to composers like Gershwin.

snip...

My performance was from Editions du Chant du Monde

d'après la Valse no2 extraite de la deuxième Suite de jazz

arrangment by Campo

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
My second batch of comments -- decided to chop it into three parts, not two:

17 cmb13/Craig -- Well, after hearing this, I'm glad I was overruled! I'm glad you provided a brief discussion regarding the rhythmic character of a Milonga; the "feel" does indeed differ from that of a Tango, and yes, I regard it as an "almost-waltz", and particularly your rendition of it. I'd still look to improve the overall flow of the piece, but you did IMO capture the exquisite sadness of Piazzolla's compositions.

18 PianogrlNW (Ellen) -- We certainly need to thank Brubeck for providing excellent transcriptions of his Jazz compositions; it appears to be with the assistance of his brother, Howard. Only a few other Jazz pianists (Shearing, Peterson, McPartland, Evans) have done this to a significant extent. A very well-crafted interpretation of his Viennese waltz "homage" -- personally, I lean in a little more on the Romantic nostalgia element, but that's just a matter of taste.

19 EdmondRhapsody -- A very solid, fluent rendition of this very popular Brahms Waltz, ER! Like I mentioned to JoBert, would love to hear an entire bouquet of the Brahms Waltzes.

20 squidbot (Chris B) -- A very elegant, eloquent "take" on another of Chopin's Posthumous Waltzes. You have the opportunity to compare your perspective with that of BSharp(C)yclist -- it's fascinating to me, because both yours and his are both very convincing on their own terms (see below).

22-23 BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) -- Ah, I vaguely remember the Kabalevsky, from way, way back when (grade school music lessons?) -- it's good to see him get a little love now and then; his writing is IMO very attractive and effective, particularly for the conscientious student. Your precise attention to "the details" in both the Kabalevsky and the Chopin are fully evident. In your hands, the Chopin Waltz comes off for me as half-Mazurka, half-Waltz, which I suspect is a rhythmic character that Chopin was indeed trying to evoke.

24 Greener/Jeff -- Amidst the staggering displays of virtuosity in Peterson's portfolio of recordings, we tend to forget the fact that he was also, like Brubeck, a very eloquent educator and spokesman for the dissemination of Jazz music -- he believed that it "had rules", and could be taught. And "Song to Elitha" is one of many that I believe he used to introduce Jazz progressions to prospective "students" of Jazz playing. A very gentle, sweet rendition of his craft.

25 Greywulf -- A great sense of style in performing this early Waltz, Greywulf! Throughout his life Grieg was fascinated with the unique character of Norwegian folk music, and he sprinkled the various Norwegian dances in with his sets of Lyric Pieces, always to great effect.

28 Whizbang (Chris) -- Just very interesting to hear Joplin in 3/4 time, Whizbang. I found the "A" material particularly beguiling, a perfect counterpoint to the main theme. You rendered everything with your usual professional aplomb in Ragtimeland. Hmm, will have to look up "Bethena", and see what all the shouting is about!

29 mel_lem (Melanie) -- This is my introduction to Oscar Merikanto's music, although I've vaguely heard of him. He strikes me as a fluent Late-Romantic, and this Waltz is quite attractive. IMO, your approach is a tad aggressive in nature; I would strive for somewhat "softer hands" in presenting this piece.

SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) -- IMO, this was a thoroughly enjoyable and convincing treatment of this very well-known Chopin Waltz. I particularly liked the fact that you used virtually no pedal at all, and that from beginning to end you projected very clear and consistent ideas in phrasing, dynamics, line, etc. Yeah, occasional mistakes, lapses in concentration are irritating, but those aspects are overwhelmed by a committed, in-the-moment, presentation, which I think this had in spades. Thanks for sharing!

Davidonabus (David Pritchett) -- Another just excellent performance of a Chopin Posthumous Waltz -- graceful, elegant, just the right sense of dynamic contrast. Wouldn't change a thing!

Last batch to follow.

T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Last set of comments -- My thanks to Schubertian for overseeing this Themed e-Cital, and to all the contributors -- most enjoyable!

32-33 SwissMS/Doris -- Thanks for introducing me to three pieces I hadn't previously heard. For obvious reasons I had to listen to "Adriana" -- I've never heard anything of Miguel Astor, but for me it was reminiscent of early Ginastera; a slightly surrealist quality to the harmonic flow. For me, Vladimir Rebikov has always provided attractive miniatures, typically in a melancholic vein, and this waltz did not disappoint in that regard. I was introduced to Viktor Kosenko here in PW, by a pianist who played several of his Preludes. He was a 20th century Ukranian composer who used soft Jazz chording as part of his harmonic mix -- and this short Waltz is also reflective of that.

34 gingko2 -- Yet another short, attractive Jazz Waltz from the pen of Dave Brubeck, effectively and fluently rendered.

35-36 diretonic -- As usual, a thoroughly professional "take" on two standards, complete with your own unfailingly inventive modifications. I was originally going to do an abridged version of one of Evans' combo transcriptions of "Waltz for Debby" -- this one I recognized as being close to his original gorgeous harmonization from an earlier chart. It was a great idea to change keys and add some Gospel piano elements to "It's a Raggy Waltz" in the various improvised sections; to me, it just works a lot better than Brubeck's own transcription from his Jazz combo recording.

37 mp15 -- I've always found Liszt's Valse-Impromptu to be one of his most successful compositions -- totally beguiling, just the right length, replete with virtuosic flourishes, but not overladen with them. Would that he had done this more often -- I'd be a much bigger fan! And I agree with taking liberties and risks -- this is in the interests of popping open the champagne bottle. Well done!

38outo -- An attractive little piece, with, as you say, some Shosty touches. Didn't know he wrote music for kids!

39 PikaPianist -- This is how I like to hear Grieg presented -- with some real attitude! As usual, totally musical; totally convincing.

40 greener -- Nice to hear Steve Allen's claim to fame -- I believe Oscar Peterson provided a somewhat simplified Jazz cover in one of his books. The hand of diretonic was clearly in evidence with the Gospel riffs -- keep running with that, and slow the whole tempo down when playing the main theme, as you develop the improvisation.

41-42 Moonsh1ne - Alexander Griboyedov is another totally new name to me -- the Waltz has kind of an Eastern European popular flavor that I found very attractive. On the Chopin Waltz, I personally would not cheat on the "running" section by taking it fast and somewhat rubato -- I preferred SMA55's approach in this eCital, which I think provides a more gliding character that is more appropriate.

43 Schubertian -- For me, this one take got better and better as it proceeded -- it started off rather tentatively and without much character, but then blossomed into a very rich and evocative reading. I agree completely with your assessment of "La Plus que Lente" -- this is a later piece of Debussy's, when much of he was writing had some artistic referent -- in this case, the understanding of a Viennese Waltz in contrast to a Slow Waltz. I believe there is some implicit humor, but it's very affectionate -- Debussy with a slightly arched eyebrow, and perhaps a hint of a grin.

Your moniker reminded me of one conspicuous absence -- where are the wonderful Schubert Waltzes? And in fact, from what I can tell, there's never previously been a Schubert Themed e-Cital. Any takers there?

D
D
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

Davidonabus (David Pritchett) -- Another just excellent performance of a Chopin Posthumous Waltz -- graceful, elegant, just the right sense of dynamic contrast. Wouldn't change a thing!

I agree, I was blown away by this performance of Op. 69 no 2. Great job, David!

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

17 cmb13/Craig -- Well, after hearing this, I'm glad I was overruled! I'm glad you provided a brief discussion regarding the rhythmic character of a Milonga; the "feel" does indeed differ from that of a Tango, and yes, I regard it as an "almost-waltz", and particularly your rendition of it. I'd still look to improve the overall flow of the piece, but you did IMO capture the exquisite sadness of Piazzolla's compositions.

Thanks Tim I appreciate the comments. I'll continue to play this and it will get a little smoother, but I'm moving on as well!!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
S
S
My next batch of comments...

02. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - The Gentle Waltz
Well played, Ellen! I enjoyed your performance!

03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 21, 26, and 27. Tim Adrianson —multiple titles
Wow! You are clearly quite an accomplished pianist with excellent control over the instrument. It was a pleasure to listen to all of the pieces you submitted, Tim. You’ve been busy! Of them, my favorites were “Wobbly Waltz” and “Berceuse”, with the latter my favorite of all. You described this latter piece as being lullaby-like. While I agree it has a beautiful melody, I myself find the piece overall to have something of a more sultry feel to it. I loved it! I’m going to have to write Mr. Janis to get the sheet music for this piece, so that I can learn it for myself. Back to you and your execution of these pieces, Tim—bravo!

07. dumka1 - Waltz op. 69 no. 1 ("L'adieu")
Beautiful piece! And very nicely played. Great work!

12. barbaram - Favourite Irish Waltz
Pretty piece. Just as with your other submission in this recital, I enjoyed your playing. The only thing I didn’t like—if I may say it—were the high notes on your digital piano. To me they sounded thin and unlike a real acoustic piano, and that distracted me a bit from the flow of the piece. But obviously that has nothing to do with your fine performance. Good work!

15. Beemer - Waltz No2 from Suite No2 for Jazz Orchestra
I was previously unfamiliar with this work, but it was thoroughly enjoyable! And I very much enjoyed your playing!

16. zsolpyW - Waltz in E Major op. posth. Yes, a beautiful piece! And just as with the pieces you had played in two previous submissions, I think you’ve played this piece very well. Congratulations!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am a little late to the party here, but I will try to review everything. The playing is fantastic, and I have already found some pieces to add to my to learn pile!

01. JoBert - Waltz (Opus 39, No. 3) This is such a lovely little waltz. I like the way you phrase the piece with gentle rubato, and a sense of sighing. I glad you decided to submit it. Beautiful playing.

02. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - The Gentle Waltz This piece is new to me, but I really enjoyed it. Classical may be your primary forte, but this shows you are are very adept at jazz as well. Your playing is very fluid with just the right amount of rubato to bring out the melancholy of this piece.

03. Tim Adrianson - Jitterbug Waltz Oh this is just fun! What a jaunty piece, reflecting the era. I love the bouncy right hand descending chords. Very nice!

04. Tim Adrianson - Emily What a full, rich arrangement! I love how you sing the piece, pacing it to tell its story.

05. Tim Adrianson - Blue Shadows in the Street This is dark, smoldering jazz, and I love your interpretation of it. Wonderful playing!

06. MeganR - German Dance WoO 13 No 1 I love the Beethoven German Dances. You bring our the happy, jaunty character of this one very well.

07. dumka1 - Waltz op. 69 no. 1 ("L'adieu") Lovely playing on this gentle waltz! You are right, the Steinway has a lovely tone! Gorgeous job!

08. sinophilia - Andantino quasi allegretto - No. 8 from Valses romanticos I love the gentle touch that you give this piece. I love Granados, and you have really done him justice! I think you phrasing and use of rubato is excellent, and you melody sings out well over the accompaniment.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Fantaisie-valse This is a side of Satie that I have not heard before. What a lovely piece! Your playing is excellent, and I love the dymamic range that you use in the piece.

10. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Waltz Op. 39 No. 15 I love this piece, and have it in my to do pile at the moment. I love the drama that you give it. Again, lovely use of the dynamic range and lovely expression!

11. barbaram - Keegan's Waltz This clearly has the Irish Aire, and you played it beautifully. I love the lilting feel of the piece.

12. barbaram - Favourite Irish Waltz This is a sweet little waltz, though it seems less Irish that the first one. I can imagine how the finger notation would drive you crazy. Very well played.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
It is really amazing how many highly talented amateur pianists are on PW.

05 Tim Adrianson – Blue shadows in the street (Brubeck) Wow, what a fantastic piece. Thanks for sharing this. A song full of darkness and bluesy emotion.

11 barbaram – Keegan’s waltz Yes, this sounds like traditional Irish music with those frequent changes between major and minor. Yes, I at once thought of Kevin Keegan, the football player and manager… But I have the impression that this piece is much older than he.

17 cmb13 (Craig) - Milonga de Angel (Piazzolla) I enjoyed your interpretation of this beautiful tango-like piece very much. I already came across this piece in the Latin-American-themed recital (I have forgotten who played it there) and think it is one of Piazzolla’s best works. I would not say it tests the limits of your capabilities, you are mastering it very well.

27 Tim Adrianson – Schoenfield waltz from “Peccadillos” It is amazing how many interesting composers you know. The piano students are always looking for pieces written after 1980, so this one would perfectly fit. It is modern enough but not as vanguardistic as many other pieces of “new” music where the pianist has to pluck the strings of the piano with a nail…

29 mel_em (Melanie) Valse lente (Merikanto) I know this one so very well, though I am not living in Finland. Apart from waltzes, the tango is very popular in Finland, they are dancing tango there, no kidding. Playing rubato is fun, isn’t it? Good that you left out the repetitions, they are unnecessary.

30 SMA55 Shepherd Abrams – Chopin Waltz 64/2 I have watched the video with the laughing audience at 3:05 and find that inappropriate at such a wonderful performance. I would not have laughed at all. Maybe you find that mistake unforgivable, but I don’t. I am making more mistakes than that when I am playing this waltz.

31 Davidonabonus - Chopin waltz 69/2 I have already heard that Pianoteq goes well with Casio DPs, and your recording really sounds like a Steinway in a concert hall. This well-known Chopin waltz is more difficult than it seems, and you are playing it without the slightest mistake and with perfect expression. Congratulations!

34 Gingko2 Lost waltz - (Brubeck) I wasn’t aware that Brubeck wrote so many beautiful short pieces. Your rendition is perfect in every way.

35 diretonic – Waltz for Debbie A wonderful jazzy Bill Evans piano piece. Very pleasing music played by a very skilled pianist.

37 mp15 – Valse Impromptu (Liszt) I have a recording of this by Artur Rubinstein and think your rendition can absolutely compete with him. You are fantastic!

38 outo - Shostakovich waltz op. 69 Thanks for posting this less known little Shostakovich waltz. It is quite different from his jazz suite waltz and is full of melancholy.

39 Pika Pianist – Grieg waltz 38/7 Mischievous, indeed. A bit unusual for Grieg. Interesting with that capriccio-like presto part and the ending in E major.

41 Moonsh1ne - Griboyedov waltz I like it when I can discover new pieces in the recitals. Thanks for this one and for posting the link to the sheet music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission