Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800440
01/10/19 09:12 AM
01/10/19 09:12 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by cmb13
Originally Posted by Downhill_Fast
I tend to gravitate towards mountain biking as my favorite outdoor hobby, and going downhill fast comes with the territory.

Love mountain biking - but careful on those fast downhills!

Maybe it's because I've gravitated to extreme sport videos since I'm a rock climber, but personally, I see downhill mountain biking as next to insane. LOL. Give me a nice cliff face and rope any day over that stuff!

across the stone, deathless piano performances
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800457
01/10/19 09:58 AM
01/10/19 09:58 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
I've been mountain biking several times, but never like that! That's totally insane.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800474
01/10/19 10:43 AM
01/10/19 10:43 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
I took the path of a hobby specific name which i was slightly surprised no one already had it....The music that has stirred my soul for many decades now is Progressive Rock from the 70's. This music arose in Europe and is classically based as opposed to main stream rock based on blues. Piano plays a big role in Progressive Rock - it is for me an amazingly powerful thing that lives inside me for this. Progman

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Username Significance [Re: Progman] #2800490
01/10/19 11:12 AM
01/10/19 11:12 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Online content
Sibylle  Online Content

Ireland
Originally Posted by Progman
I took the path of a hobby specific name which i was slightly surprised no one already had it....The music that has stirred my soul for many decades now is Progressive Rock from the 70's. This music arose in Europe and is classically based as opposed to main stream rock based on blues. Piano plays a big role in Progressive Rock - it is for me an amazingly powerful thing that lives inside me for this. Progman

I was hoping you'd say that when I saw you had replied to this laugh

Total prog rock head here, my all-time favourite bands are the likes of Yes and Jethro Tull, and of course King Crimson and all the rest 3hearts

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Username Significance [Re: Progman] #2800497
01/10/19 11:20 AM
01/10/19 11:20 AM

This music arose in Europe and is classically based as opposed to main stream rock based on blues.

I know next to nothing about rock, jazz, and contemporary music in general, but I feel I just learned something. Thanks!

BTW, is progressive rock still "a thing" these days, or has its time passed? (Asking because I know some contemporary genres, such as jazz continue to be a thing)

Re: Username Significance [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800501
01/10/19 11:27 AM
01/10/19 11:27 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Online content
Sibylle  Online Content

Ireland
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
This music arose in Europe and is classically based as opposed to main stream rock based on blues.

I know next to nothing about rock, jazz, and contemporary music in general, but I feel I just learned something. Thanks!

BTW, is progressive rock still "a thing" these days, or has its time passed? (Asking because I know some contemporary genres, such as jazz continue to be a thing)

There are still prog rock bands. The genre has also branched out into the likes of prog metal, which I love too. Generally, prog is one area where one finds a lot of excellent musicians, often with classical training.

One "later" example is a Norwegian band that's not very well known outside of Norway. They were basically a bunch of conservatory students who also happened to love metal and so they started a band. The singer is one of the most amazing sopranos I know (and happens to be a former classmate of my best friend, who also studied at the conservatory until an illness partly ruined her voice):

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/10/19 11:27 AM.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Username Significance [Re: Sibylle] #2800503
01/10/19 11:28 AM
01/10/19 11:28 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida

Yes, saw that in another post. Love that music, still. I saw Alan Parsons last year.

Originally Posted by Sibylle
I was hoping you'd say that when I saw you had replied to this laugh

Total prog rock head here, my all-time favourite bands are the likes of Yes and Jethro Tull, and of course King Crimson and all the rest 3hearts

And Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull a few years ago.

Great stuff! Someone else used 90125 for a username; clear Yes fan.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Re: Username Significance [Re: Sibylle] #2800505
01/10/19 11:33 AM
01/10/19 11:33 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida

One "later" example is a Norwegian band that's not very well known outside of Norway. They were basically a bunch of conservatory students who also happened to love metal and so they started a band. The singer is one of the most amazing sopranos I know (and happens to be a former classmate of my best friend, who also studied at the conservatory until an illness partly ruined her voice):

Beautiful!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800507
01/10/19 11:34 AM
01/10/19 11:34 AM

Great stuff! Someone else used 90125 for a username; clear Yes fan.

You're going to crack up, but when I first saw 90125's handle, I thought it was in reference to a TV show about some kids in Beverly Hills years ago. blush

(I'm so not up on popular culture / contemporary music blush )

Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800511
01/10/19 11:41 AM
01/10/19 11:41 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
As we're on the subject, here's one off of 90125. Not the most popular, but classic progressive rock. Give it a listen.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800512
01/10/19 11:44 AM
01/10/19 11:44 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Online content
Sibylle  Online Content

Ireland
"Changes" is great from that album, too. I love all of Yes - they *are* my all-time favourite band - but the best of Yes all happened in the 70s, in my humble opinion. The likes of Close To The Edge (the entire album), Gates of Delirium or Awaken are just beyond anything I've seen in rock music. Gods, I do love them. No musician death ever hit me as hard as Chris Squire's a few years ago.

Sibylle

My piano background

Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800522
01/10/19 11:54 AM
01/10/19 11:54 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
My brother-in-law (a person that I love. I'm not close to much people in my family, but I share a lot with my brother-in-law and I always enjoy time with him) is a big fan of prog music too. He never introduced me to it, though, so I don't really know what it is.

When I'm not listening to classical, I'm mostly into metal. Particularly power metal and symphonic metal (I'm not a fan of the grunting, so death metal is not my thing). Epica is the band I've listen to the most. One of their piece sounds like Pirate of the Carrabean soundtrack. laugh

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Re: Username Significance [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2800528
01/10/19 12:17 PM
01/10/19 12:17 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
My brother-in-law (a person that I love. I'm not close to much people in my family, but I share a lot with my brother-in-law and I always enjoy time with him) is a big fan of prog music too. He never introduced me to it, though, so I don't really know what it is.

When I'm not listening to classical, I'm mostly into metal. Particularly power metal and symphonic metal (I'm not a fan of the grunting, so death metal is not my thing). Epica is the band I've listen to the most. One of their piece sounds like Pirate of the Carrabean soundtrack. laugh

I don't listen to much metal, but do love Metallica's Black Album.

So does VK.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Re: Username Significance [Re: Sibylle] #2800563
01/10/19 02:16 PM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
"Changes" is great from that album, too. I love all of Yes - they *are* my all-time favourite band - but the best of Yes all happened in the 70s, in my humble opinion. The likes of Close To The Edge (the entire album), Gates of Delirium or Awaken are just beyond anything I've seen in rock music. Gods, I do love them. No musician death ever hit me as hard as Chris Squire's a few years ago.

Chris Squire was an awesome bassist!

As a recovering drummer, I think Bill Bruford's work on "Fragile" is some of the best I've ever heard.

Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800564
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Wow, nice to see such energy here on Prog Rock - I looked in the Non-Classical Pianists sub-forum but did not see much prog there. Thankfully, my teacher loves Keith Emerson! Progressive, like regular rock and roll, will go on forever it seems. I will point out that there are now quite a few you tube videos of Orchestral performances of various progressive rock music. And there is also the case of Pianist Rachel Flowers - incredibly gifted, she favors Keith Emerson's work.

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Username Significance [Re: Progman] #2800640
01/10/19 05:26 PM
01/10/19 05:26 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline OP
Silver Level

Florida
Wow, nice to see such energy here on Prog Rock - I looked in the Non-Classical Pianists sub-forum but did not see much prog there. Thankfully, my teacher loves Keith Emerson! Progressive, like regular rock and roll, will go on forever it seems. I will point out that there are now quite a few you tube videos of Orchestral performances of various progressive rock music. And there is also the case of Pianist Rachel Flowers - incredibly gifted, she favors Keith Emerson's work.

That's remarkable, to play that entire thing from memory.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Re: Username Significance [Re: cmb13] #2800708
01/10/19 09:45 PM
01/10/19 09:45 PM
C
Colorado Mac Offline
Colorado Mac  Offline
C

Mine is pretty simple - Colorado is where I live and Mac has been my nick name since childhood.

Re: Username Significance [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2800855
01/11/19 12:27 PM
01/11/19 12:27 PM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill_Fast Offline
Downhill_Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA

Maybe it's because I've gravitated to extreme sport videos since I'm a rock climber, but personally, I see downhill mountain biking as next to insane. LOL. Give me a nice cliff face and rope any day over that stuff!

Great video, but you may be crediting me with way more confidence than I actually deserve laugh

Also, Tyrone: Trad or sport? Placing gear scares me far more than the mostly-tame downhills in my part of the world!

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 [O Sole Mio]
Alfred's Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Edelweiss]
Yamaha P-45

[Linked Image]
Re: Username Significance [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2800963
01/11/19 04:59 PM
01/11/19 04:59 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA

Also, Tyrone: Trad or sport? Placing gear scares me far more than the mostly-tame downhills in my part of the world!

You guys don't even know what challenging or dangerous is - you ought to try shooting trap sometime - you just never know when a sudden gust of wind is going to play havoc with the path of one of those nasty launched orange targets and spin it back towards one's self at breakneck speed, heading directly towards one with only a double-barreled shotgun to protect oneself eek shocked laugh

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Username Significance [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2800971
01/11/19 05:28 PM
01/11/19 05:28 PM

Great video, but you may be crediting me with way more confidence than I actually deserve laugh

OK. Even the baby version of that video will be too much for me laugh There are some things I won't do, and that is one. Another is hanggliding. smile I had a friend ask me, "Why are you willing to skydive but not to hangglide?" My response- because parachutes are designed to carry you safely to the ground! wink

Also, Tyrone: Trad or sport?

I started trad in Yosemite Valley - I knew the old Camp 4 well. You're going to laugh but similar to absolute beginners starting with a Chopin ├ętudes as their first piece ever (usually, courtesy of Synthesia wink ), my first real multi-pitch climb was Lost Arrow Spire. I think my friend and I should have silk screened some shirts afterwards with the words: "Climbed Lost Arrow Spire and Lived to Tell About It!" eek The trad days are over, it's no longer fitting with the climbing aesthetic, I have a family :), but I still have a ton of trad gear including a bivvy ledge (although no bivvy ledge companion as in that linked photo! laugh ), and none of it would I ever dare use again - climbing equipment ages. So it's entirely sport for me, and I've been on a long hiatus since breaking over a dozen bones getting hit by a car when I was on my sport bike - so long that I've been musing just hanging up my climbing shoes for good and just sticking with the piano. Besides there were a few times, besides the motorcycle accident, when I came close to losing a finger, including once on ice, and that would really put a crimp on piano playing. So maybe it's all for the best if I just call it all quits. My wife would be happier - she's already forbid me from replacing my motorcycle. mad

Placing gear scares me far more than the mostly-tame downhills in my part of the world!

Well, that depends on the quality of the rock, right? I have no problems placing gear on granite, but sometimes you encounter flaky junk... Then it gets bad. Of course, there sometimes is no place to place anything and no bolts. I remember one 25m runout on a 5.6 face. When I asked why there was not a single bolt protecting the face, the response I got from a local was: "It's a 5.6 dude." smirk grin In a case like that, a rope is even useless as you'll often take a grounder anyways if you fall.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission