Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (ando, ADWyatt, Apache, AndyOnThePiano, Ankee, ars3niy, 36251, bajtucha, 36 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 578 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th #2716416 02/22/18 12:56 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline OP
OP Offline
C
SIAP. May have to wait a while for it to hit Netflix if the theater release is limited to Ireland.

Stumbled across this and did not see a thread yet. Thought some of you may want to see it when it is released in April.

MAKING THE GRADE invites us into the world of the piano lesson. Every year teachers and students throughout Ireland prepare for graded musical exams. These exams can be pleasing for some but daunting for others. Each student has their own goal but reaching Grade Eight is considered a pinnacle. This endearing and uplifting documentary explores the bond between piano teachers and their pupils as they struggle through these grades. This is a story of the transformative power of music and the pride and happiness it provides both the students and teachers. It may inspire us all to keep making the grade.

The filmmakers travelled the length and breadth of the country to film with teachers and their students as they prepared for their piano grade exams. The film features characters from as far afield as Kylemore Abbey in the West, to Derry City in the North and down to Crosshaven, Cork in the South.

MAKING THE GRADE is directed by Ken Wardrop and produced by Andrew Freedman. MAKING THE GRADE is a Reel Art film funded by the Arts Council

@ElementPictures
@ElementPicturesDistribution

Last edited by Chili_Time; 02/22/18 12:58 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2716440 02/22/18 02:27 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the heads up - that looks interesting to me as one who went through all the grade exams as a kid. (Though in my case, I realized that I couldn't just stop at Grade 8 - after I'd got my Grade 8.....). It's always interesting to compare my own lessons and my exam 'ordeals' with that of young (and not-so-young) students of today grin.

However, I wonder whether American students & teachers (very few of whom went through such exams) would regard this movie as totally foreign in its concept. OK, it is foreign, even if you're of Irish descent........ wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2716443 02/22/18 02:38 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Why would this movie be ‘foreign’ to Americans??? It discusses the joy of learning, the structure of the piano lesson, and “your own interpretation of the music “. Believe it or not, these are standards common to Americans as well, even if all of us did not take graded exams. I’m hoping the movie will be released here in the US

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: dogperson] #2716446 02/22/18 02:49 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by dogperson
Why would this movie be ‘foreign’ to Americans??? It discusses the joy of learning, the structure of the piano lesson, and “your own interpretation of the music “. Believe it or not, these are standards common to Americans as well, even if all of us did not take graded exams.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this movie is about students (and their teachers) preparing for grade exams - not about students having piano lessons per se.

As for the 'foreignness' of it, just have a look at some of the replies I've gotten over the years in PW when I talk about grade exams, ranging from total incomprehension to "what's that got to do with piano?".

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2716451 02/22/18 03:02 PM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It looks to be very interesting. I wonder when it will hit my local cable? I’m a dinosaur.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: bennevis] #2716453 02/22/18 03:05 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by bennevis
Thanks for the heads up - that looks interesting to me as one who went through all the grade exams as a kid. (Though in my case, I realized that I couldn't just stop at Grade 8 - after I'd got my Grade 8.....). It's always interesting to compare my own lessons and my exam 'ordeals' with that of young (and not-so-young) students of today grin.

However, I wonder whether American students & teachers (very few of whom went through such exams) would regard this movie as totally foreign in its concept. OK, it is foreign, even if you're of Irish descent........ wink

It looks fascinating to me even though the grade system is not something I am familiar with. It seems like a movie about the universal struggle to reach a goal that takes time, dedication and determination and it just happens to be about pianos. Whether it be running a marathon, losing 100 pounds or learning to play piano as an adult the human struggle is a good topic for a documentary.. The fact it is a piano themed movie makes it that much more interesting to me personally. I'll watch a feel good documentary about people yearning toward a goal and fighting through the ups and downs of the journey whether it be learning to be a chef, training for athletics or completing law school or whatever. It may not gain a wide audience but it looks like it will be interesting. Then again I enjoy playing the pieces in my piano method even if it just "row row row your boat" book so I'm probably way outside the mainstream. laugh

Last edited by Chili_Time; 02/22/18 03:08 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2716460 02/22/18 03:24 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Whether it be running a marathon, losing 100 pounds or learning to play piano as an adult the human struggle is a good topic for a documentary.. The fact it is a piano themed movie makes it that much more interesting to me personally. I'll watch a feel good documentary about people yearning toward a goal and fighting through the ups and downs of the journey whether it be learning to be a chef, training for athletics or completing law school or whatever. It may not gain a wide audience but it looks like it will be interesting.

I don't think there's ever been a movie on such a theme before - perhaps not surprisingly, as the audience isn't likely to be large.

There have been movies about pianists, piano competitions (like "The Competition"), piano prodigies, the piano as the centrepiece of a movie about unrequited love & tragedy ("The Piano"), even about the hothousing of kids and their training towards international stardom (a Russian documentary-movie where - apparently - a pre-requisite for entry into music school was perfect pitch: the teacher played a four-note chord, and the child had to name all four notes instantly without sight of the keyboard......), but this must be the first about ordinary people - children & adults - learning piano and preparing for piano exams which have nothing to do with becoming concert pianists.

Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2716552 02/22/18 11:57 PM
C
CharlesXX Offline
C
Looks like a wonderful film.

One of my warmest memories of Ireland was when I was in a music shop in Dublin. Pianos all lined up in rows, with young kids of all ages sitting and playing at the various instruments. Just a great atmosphere.

Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2720989 03/13/18 09:40 PM
M
MarciajsR Offline
M
Please let us know if we can view it in the US someplace

Marci
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: MarciajsR] #2721201 03/14/18 04:58 PM
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MarciajsR
Please let us know if we can view it in the US someplace

It looks like the sort of thing that PBS would be likely to pick up.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2721246 03/14/18 08:19 PM
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've shown this trailer to some non-piano people who expressed more interest than I expected. I think it pushes the "I wish I (still) played piano" button.

Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: bennevis] #2723778 03/23/18 02:49 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh, I hope I'll be able to see it!! It looks like a wonderful film.

I would guess even for someone who'd never tried to prepare for a grade exam, there will be much that resonates for any of us who've taken formal lessons, maybe prepared for a recital with a teacher, etc.

BTW, I did actually take several grade exams, but in Japan, not in the US.

Originally Posted by bennevis
but this must be the first about ordinary people - children & adults - learning piano and preparing for piano exams which have nothing to do with becoming concert pianists.

I'm sure you're right, especially the point about ordinary people.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2724473 03/26/18 02:08 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I watched this movie over the weekend and the piano playing in this is quite entertaining. If you like ragtime you'll like this. You can stream it for free on Amazon if you are a Prime Member.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 03/26/18 02:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th [Re: Chili_Time] #2724527 03/26/18 06:25 PM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This seems very interesting. I look forward to seeing it.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing action from Bechstein V, early 1900's
by jkess114 - 12/08/19 03:17 PM
'Re-Shaping hammers and shanks'?
by LS35A - 12/08/19 12:28 PM
Inevitable progress
by Animisha - 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
by dhts - 12/08/19 09:38 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,572
Posts2,899,751
Members95,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission