Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
101 registered members (anotherscott, agraffe, Aaron W, ando, Alexander Borro, 26 invisible), 1,259 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Buying a Used Piano #2721090
03/14/18 10:52 AM
03/14/18 10:52 AM
T
Tricia28 Offline OP
Tricia28  Offline OP
T
I need to buy a piano for my daughter. She has been playing my old piano for 10 yrs. It was bought for me in the early seventies. She has reached a level of playing that requires a good piano now. We are in the Midwest and have gone to our piano stores. She likes the action on Yamaha pianos. We happened to see a used Yamaha player. We like the idea of the player on the piano. That way when she leaves for college in 2 years I can also still enjoy the piano.

This piano is a 1995 GH1 for $11,000. That would also have tax applied. I happened to find another one that we drove all day for her to try that is a 2007 DCG1 for $15,000 with no additional costs. She likes the the action of the 2007, but doesn't care for the 1995.

I have been doing nothing but researching pianos and have come to the wire. I really cannot travel anymore at this time to keep trying other pianos, as there are more out there. I am a little fearful of making such a huge purchase as this. Can anyone with experience in this regard give me any advice??

Also, I thought maybe I found an alternative by contacting our college about their sale only to discover upon further investigation that those sales are conducted by stores!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721103
03/14/18 11:40 AM
03/14/18 11:40 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Online Content

🎹
I don’t think it’s clear what kind of help you’re asking for. Price/value? Models? Places to purchase?

if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721116
03/14/18 12:04 PM
03/14/18 12:04 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Atlanta, GA
That is an extraordinarily high price for the GH1. The price for the DGC1 (corrected) is in line if in very good condition and having a player system is a priority, but you are certainly paying a premium for the player system over the piano by itself. Is the player system a priority? A similar age GC1 without the player would be substantially less.

If you are looking at pianos for $11,000 - $15,000 as a budget range, you should really broaden your search. Additionally, while Yamaha does make good actions, you are probably misunderstanding the variable involved in making fair comparisons.

Step 1: what is the upper size limit of grand that you might consider for your space?
Step 2: what is the upper limit of your budget if the right piano got you excited?
Step 3: are there any other specific criteria for your purchase (like a player system or finish color)?
Step 4: try more pianos that may fit these criteria

Whether you wish to post your location publicly or would like to send a private message, you could use some recommendations of dealerships that may have more specific choices for you to try. I always recommend beginning at dealerships that tend to have both better selection as well as services before you try to shop privately. You do not seem prepared yet to shop privately if that becomes your eventual choice.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721285
03/15/18 12:38 AM
03/15/18 12:38 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Retsacnal  Online Content

🎹
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I don’t think it’s clear what kind of help you’re asking for. Price/value? Models? Places to purchase?

Sam basically touched on all three!

if you're content with A V E R A G E . . . then just do what everyone else does
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721292
03/15/18 01:04 AM
03/15/18 01:04 AM
H
huaidongxi Offline
500 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Tricia, 'midwest' can apply to .20 to .25 of the lower forty eight states. there are some metro areas more favorable than others for used pianos - - the local economies vary widely, a big factor. give the folks here a better idea where you are, as the kind Mr. Bennett has requested. looking for pianos in your budget, you might see more candidates if you don't shop by 'brand name', a reason the price you found could be on the high side.

Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2721297
03/15/18 02:15 AM
03/15/18 02:15 AM
T
Tricia28 Offline OP
Tricia28  Offline OP
T
Wonderful advice, greatly appreciated.
The choices for dealers seem limited in my area. I live in the Omaha, NE area.
I do understand the price of the Disklavier is adding a great deal to the price.
Wouldn't the ability to record your playing and listen to it help a lot in progressing
in the playing performance? That is our thinking anyway.

So my piano budget initially started at the $5000 to $8000 range. The discovery
of the Disklavier option does push the cost up. I am communicating right now
with someone on eBay that has a very nice piano, 1998 Yamaha Disklavier for
$9000 total. Although, I have some reservations about purchasing this kind of
item like this. I am still researching on concerns about paying first, then expecting
shipment without being scammed.

Anyway, all input, thoughts, ect. greatly appreciated!!

Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721309
03/15/18 04:57 AM
03/15/18 04:57 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Advice on buying a used piano: The value of the piano is in the condition, and that condition can vary widely with the same piano make and year. You should always have an independent technician examine a used piano to determine the quality. If you buy a piano site unseen, you are at risk.

I would also advise that you play a particular piano you are interested in purchasing. Every piano is always slightly different in touch and tone. It’s not like buying a used car where the same make and model will be essentially the same, You want to buy the piano that sounds right to your ears, and feels right underneath your fingers,

I would not recommend Buying a piano on eBay that you had not played and that has not been inspected

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721394
03/15/18 11:18 AM
03/15/18 11:18 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Tricia28
[...] I live in the Omaha, NE area.
I do understand the price of the Disklavier is adding a great deal to the price.
Wouldn't the ability to record your playing and listen to it help a lot in progressing
in the playing performance? That is our thinking anyway.

So my piano budget initially started at the $5000 to $8000 range. The discovery
of the Disklavier option does push the cost up. I am communicating right now
with someone on eBay that has a very nice piano, 1998 Yamaha Disklavier for
$9000 total. Although, I have some reservations about purchasing this kind of
item like this. I am still researching on concerns about paying first, then expecting
shipment without being scammed.

Anyway, all input, thoughts, ect. greatly appreciated!!

For what it's worth:

You can buy a reasonably good digital recorder for less than $300.00, record your playing and play it back, either through a head-set or via a computer. That avoids the extra cost and the possible extra maintenance of a built-in playing system on a used piano.

Consider the possibility, also, that with the rapid advances in technology, the player system in a used piano might become outdated. Does that mean that parts (if ever needed) will be hard to get? I don't know, but it's something to inquire about before making a purchase that includes such a system.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721406
03/15/18 11:57 AM
03/15/18 11:57 AM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Atlanta, GA
Older disklavier systems are much less likely to have a record/playback option, only playback from disks. Even on the younger systems, you really have to see what the equipment really is.

With a budget of $8k, you'll always be making some compromises, so a name brand like Yamaha is probably not going to be a "best value" option. Meaning, the Yamaha you can get for that price will either be a lower series or older or smaller or have some compromise vs. another brand of similar dollars. If it was for casual play, they exist, but to advance her studies, you want to get the best instrument you can. Crossing $10k gives you many, many more viable options, and for every few thousand above that, your options will probably double or triple.

As Bruce suggested, digital recorders are a much better option for you in your budget range. The latest tech from Yamaha is impressive, but until you get to the "Pro" models, the emphasis is on entertainment, not educational or other professional use.

While I'm sure there are dealers in smaller cities closer to you, you may need to go to a bigger center for real selection. Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver are a trek, but have more brands represented, and tend to have greater options used. I don't know the Kansas City or St. Louis market well, but there are members here that might offer advice before you get in the car.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Buying a Used Piano [Re: Tricia28] #2721762
03/16/18 02:36 PM
03/16/18 02:36 PM
raleigh, nc
JazzPianoOnline Offline
JazzPianoOnline  Offline
raleigh, nc
All Disklaviers had a record function as well as playback. I just upgraded my 1990 DC3 to a new DC7. The DC3 was a fantastic instrument as well as impressive piece of technology (from 1990!) that worked flawlessly.

Many people think the record/playback function is just a novelty but I have used it in my own playing and teaching extensively and I have come to feel that it is practically essential to a serious player.

There is no way to duplicate the experience of hearing your own performance come from the piano itself. Audio recordings don't even come close. You can gain so much understanding about how you execute a piece when you hear it played back on a disklavier. And just think when your daughter leaves for college you can listen to her recordings when she is gone!

I would go with the DGC1 as the GH1 was not a great design.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Comprehensive, in-depth jazz piano lessons on any device.
Yamaha DC7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much sample memory is in there?
by MacMacMac. 06/24/18 11:46 AM
obituary
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 06/24/18 11:38 AM
HL Piano Lessons vs HL Adult Piano Method
by Sol Finker. 06/24/18 11:07 AM
Anybody ever added a pedalboard to your keyboard?
by Bellyman. 06/24/18 09:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,114
Posts2,727,036
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission