Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
109 registered members (al reds, bennevis, AZNpiano, Bruce In Philly, accordeur, CharlieY, almo82, 28 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Biggest Frustrations #2720049
03/09/18 11:16 AM
03/09/18 11:16 AM
R
r_Shift Offline OP
r_Shift  Offline OP
R

More aimed at people who are pianists as a hobby, but personally what's the most frustrating thing you have to deal with?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720114
03/09/18 02:55 PM
03/09/18 02:55 PM
Massachusetts
J
JayWalkingBlues Offline
JayWalkingBlues  Offline
J

Massachusetts
There's a couple things. First and foremost.....time. I work 2 jobs, I have 2 young children, and an endless list of crap to do around the house. I make sure I play every day, but I'm often scrambling to find the time. Mostly it's early morning (5am), or after 9pm. I've found myself having to choose between music and exercise. Lately music has been winning, but my health is suffering for it.

The other thing, which is kind of 2 in 1, is financial. I'm not in a great financial place. I'm very fortunate to have what I have, but I do find myself wanting things I don't have. I really would like some basic recording equipment. I've made recordings on my phone, but it's just not good. I'd also like to purchase something portable. Family gatherings in my family are very musical events, but I can't really bring my piano with me. I have so much to share with them, but I just don't have that opportunity.

Those are my frustrations. Even with those, I am very happy to have the opportunity I have. I'm grateful for the musical ability I have been fortunate enough to develop.

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720120
03/09/18 03:33 PM
03/09/18 03:33 PM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
For me it's the result v.s the amount of time put into it.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720206
03/10/18 03:07 AM
03/10/18 03:07 AM
Kent, UK
Simon_b Offline
Simon_b  Offline

Kent, UK
Hi

Great question.

My main frustration is that I feel I've got as good as I'm ever going to get on the Piano, and because of that I've recently taken up playing the guitar again.

Like Jaywalkingblues, for me work is a necessary evil. Its helps me to own 3 keyboards and 2 guitars, but its stops me from playing as much as I'd like to.

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Casio CTK-7200
Hammond XB1

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720499
03/11/18 09:35 AM
03/11/18 09:35 AM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
My biggest frustration is that, no matter how well I think I know a piece, or how well I think I play it, there remains a non-zero probability that I will foul up completely in a performance. It doesn't matter how "difficult" the piece is -- I could foul up Three Blind Mice if fate is against me on the day. It isn't lack of practice, either -- I can practice a piece until I never want to hear it ever again, until I can play it fifty times through without any problem, and still foul it up next time.

Neither my fingers nor my brain seem to be entirely predictable these days.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720507
03/11/18 10:30 AM
03/11/18 10:30 AM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
One of my biggest frustrations - more like a disappointment, I guess - is that no one in my family or circle of friends have any interest in piano or even music in general. Because of this, I'm not asked to play - so I don't offer to either. Consequently, I think that I have to be even more self-motivated than most to practice. That results in slower progress at improvement than I'd like.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720516
03/11/18 11:25 AM
03/11/18 11:25 AM
PA
Music Me Online content
500 Post Club Member
Music Me  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

PA
Same here as Kevinb. Regardless, I keep going. We all do.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720573
03/11/18 06:45 PM
03/11/18 06:45 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Having occasionally seen a thread that covers this territory, it always gives me pause.

If I go into one of the local Guitar Centers on a Saturday, I often see Mexican-American and Asian families come in and shop for keyboards. These folks seem to have FUN playing music. They don't come in with piles of sheet music. Instead, they walk up to an instrument and play songs that they know. They seem to all get some real joy from doing that. You see the whole family around the instrument while one of them is playing. I don't know if this is a cultural thing, but if so, they really seem to have it right. fun with making music.

I have gone down the path of the serious "suffer for my art" with piano, and always end up walking away sooner or later. It has taken a while to determine what it is I really want to accomplish and a good way for me to do that. I have put that together and it is working for me, and my model is largely what I see in those families at Guitar Center.

There is, unfortunately, not much one can do about having to work two jobs or other heavy time commitments. I am hearing, despite all the claims about how well the economy is doing, more people having to work more than one job to make a go of it. That is really sad, especially in a country such as the US, where there should be so much opportunity. There isn't much one can do about time at the piano in those cases.

But for those of us who are retired or at least have schedules that allow us more piano time, there must be a way to enjoy the journey and have fun with our music instead of suffering over every mistake or slaving over difficult music. It all depends on our respective personalities, our musical goals, but there are choices we make and have control over.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am addressing our ATTITUDE toward our respective pursuits on the piano, rather than the STYLE. However, reading through these forums over time, it does seem to me that overall, folks involved in non-classical piano pursuits seem to generally have more FUN for some reason.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 03/11/18 08:28 PM.
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: TonyB] #2720611
03/12/18 03:26 AM
03/12/18 03:26 AM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
Originally Posted by TonyB
[...] reading through these forums over time, it does seem to me that overall, folks involved in non-classical piano pursuits seem to generally have more FUN for some reason.

Amazingly (to me) the idea that there are "fun" and "serious" forms of music is even embedded in the graded exam syllabus. A stated learning outcome for the Trinity College Rock and Pop Keyboards syllabus, at entry level is:

"Perform audibly with a sense of enthusiasm and enjoyment and with some awareness of audience"

There is, so far as I can tell, no similar objective in the traditional classical syllabus, which is all about technical skills. It seems you have to enjoy playing pop and rock, and sweat over classical. The classical piano syllabus doesn't even mention audience -- it's as playing is a completely solitary, intellectual endeavour, which a select few might perhaps be privileged to hear one day.

I think that, broadly, it's hard to describe something as "fun" when a performance cannot be judged a success unless it is technically impeccable. That does seem to be the expected standard, for all instruments, even for amateurs, even for beginners. As a rank beginner in the Western classical tradition, you might not be able to produce a technically perfect performance, but it's understood that this is what you're aiming at eventually; what all your efforts should be directed to.

The mad irony is that, whilst you might have the dubious fortune to hear me playing jazz, or pop songs, or Christmas carols, in a public setting (if you live in my neighbourhood), you're never going to hear me playing Bach or Chopin, and this is where nearly all my musical effort is directed these days. I'm never going to be good enough to perform this kind of music, because I'm never going to be perfect, and only perfect is good enough.

Worse, my ability to enjoy informal music-making has diminished since I started down the classical path, because I am increasingly aware of my shortcomings.

It's odd, really, that I spend so much time on a pursuit that is of absolutely no benefit to anybody else, and only of limited benefit to me.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: kevinb] #2720612
03/12/18 03:56 AM
03/12/18 03:56 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
"Perform audibly with a sense of enthusiasm and enjoyment and with some awareness of audience"

I love English. smile

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2720658
03/12/18 08:36 AM
03/12/18 08:36 AM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

I love English. smile

My wife and I volunteer teach English as a second language to immigrant folks a couple of times a week. Growing up speaking English, we never gave it much thought. However, teaching it to folks who come here from other cultures, we have experienced the language from a new perspective. It is a difficult language with a lot of quirks that make no sense, which can make certain aspects of the language difficult to explain. Also, it borrows from many other languages so that whatever pronunciations folks who are learning the language have mastered, are suddenly non-applicable when encountering all those "borrowed" words.

Looking at that sentence that you quoted, I am thinking to myself "what does that really mean". Perform audibly, means simply that you make sounds. Why just "some awareness of audience"? Why not fully aware of, and engaged with, the audience? It does seem really strange to say something like that, doesn't it?

When I see those folks at Guitar Center playing various keyboards, they, and their families with them, are fully engaged in the music. Anybody in the immediate area can't help but be pulled in and enjoying it too.

How did it come about that we got so intellectual about music that we suck all the life out of it for both performer and audience? I am certainly glad that there are many people who choose NOT to go that route and are willing to have fun making music.

Tony

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720713
03/12/18 01:02 PM
03/12/18 01:02 PM
Kent, UK
Simon_b Offline
Simon_b  Offline

Kent, UK
Hi

The having fun thing is fascinating. Like Kevin I've spent a lot of time trying to master 'classical' works, and indeed a long time ago passed ABRSM grade 6 (the only Piano grade I've passed). But that aside I've never really achieved the standard I'd like to, and probably never will.

For me there are three key distinctions between playing serious 'classical' music and playing other so called non-serious forms.

1. Rhythm - most 'classical' Piano works don't have the rhythmic drive that say the swing of Jazz or the infectious pulse of Blues/Rock have. And for me those rhythms in particular add hugely to my enjoyment of playing.

2. I have some ability to improvise, which puts me somewhere between a blues Pianist and a proper Jazz pianist. So even if I was capable of playing 'classical' works in small ensembles, or orchestras I think I would be frustrated at having to read off the page all the time, or play exactly the same thing from memory all the time. I love having the chords in front of me (or memorised) and making up what is required for whatever I'm doing.

3. I also think that it's much easier to find other musicians to play music with, if you're playing non-serious forms of music. And for me playing with other musicians is as much fun as it gets. Of course playing the Piano on your own can be immensely satisfying, but I think a lot of people miss out on the joy of making music with other people because they stick religiously to the 'classical' repertoire.

There is no doubt that what I have done over the years (rock / blues bands and Jazz bands) is to some degree the result of my technical limitations. However its also because I have more fun playing those forms of music, as defined above!

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Casio CTK-7200
Hammond XB1

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: Simon_b] #2720802
03/12/18 05:50 PM
03/12/18 05:50 PM
I
indigo_dave Offline
indigo_dave  Offline
I

Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi

The having fun thing is fascinating. Like Kevin I've spent a lot of time trying to master 'classical' works, and indeed a long time ago passed ABRSM grade 6 (the only Piano grade I've passed). But that aside I've never really achieved the standard I'd like to, and probably never will.

For me there are three key distinctions between playing serious 'classical' music and playing other so called non-serious forms.

1. Rhythm - most 'classical' Piano works don't have the rhythmic drive that say the swing of Jazz or the infectious pulse of Blues/Rock have. And for me those rhythms in particular add hugely to my enjoyment of playing.

2. I have some ability to improvise, which puts me somewhere between a blues Pianist and a proper Jazz pianist. So even if I was capable of playing 'classical' works in small ensembles, or orchestras I think I would be frustrated at having to read off the page all the time, or play exactly the same thing from memory all the time. I love having the chords in front of me (or memorised) and making up what is required for whatever I'm doing.

3. I also think that it's much easier to find other musicians to play music with, if you're playing non-serious forms of music. And for me playing with other musicians is as much fun as it gets. Of course playing the Piano on your own can be immensely satisfying, but I think a lot of people miss out on the joy of making music with other people because they stick religiously to the 'classical' repertoire.

There is no doubt that what I have done over the years (rock / blues bands and Jazz bands) is to some degree the result of my technical limitations. However its also because I have more fun playing those forms of music, as defined above!

Cheers

I played a lot of Beethoven in college. Some Brahms. Over my adult life I worked on playing jazz standards. Over time I developed my "ear" - being able to hear/perceive harmonic movement. Rather than "serious" and "non-serious", I'd rather use a mathematics analogy. Beethoven and Bach (and scores of others) are analogous to a higher math. Let's say (and I have no expertise in math) they are calculous. There's plenty of Beatles stuff that I'd rate at higher algebra or maybe trigonometry - think maybe "Yesterday" - maybe "Good Morning Good Morning" (from Sgt. Pepper). The Beatles also did some blues, but what I admire so much is when they did a blues, they were inventive with it. I'd say "I'm Down", "She's A Woman" and "Come Together" are blues, but crafted so they don't sound like simply an imitation of Chicago blues. I'd say (in my opinion) the Rolling Stones would be the ones to do more of an imitation of a classic electric blues - simple math - maybe some division here and there. I might say that Keith Jarrett sometimes does improvised trig and calculus.

By the way, IMO, Louis Jordan and His Tympani Five are almost like a catalog of fundamental jazz harmony. Tons of iii vi ii V progressions. Also tons of diminished 7th passing chords. If you don't know what I'm talking about, learning what these things are and how they work will open the door to playing with the assistance of your mind's ears. You may (or may not) be relying just on your motor memory - playing till you have it by rote.

Food for thought. But my point here is there isn't a simple line in the sand making something serious and non-serious. A moving bass line played by Paul McCartney in "Dear Prudence" is just as legitimate as a step-wise descending line in a Bach piece. They're musical devices.

Also the swing rhythms and rock rhythms and funk rhythms and even a lot of blues rhythms - fall into my version of higher math.

Little Feat - Fat Man In The Bathtub
https://youtu.be/S1AWV3F8muI

Regarding forgetting where you're at in a tune. If you work on your ears, you'll be on the road developing to what I believe is too often ignored by too many musicians. Many people who can play late Beethoven cannot play "Louis Louis" I'll bet you.

Examples to try to play by ear:

Louis Louis is about as simple as it gets. 3 chords. Can you figure this out by ear on the piano. Hint- there's a minor V chord.

A little more involved, but not too hard. Sit at the piano while listening, and try plunking out some notes.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 03/12/18 05:57 PM.
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2720805
03/12/18 06:03 PM
03/12/18 06:03 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Online content
thepianoplayer416  Online Content
T

Toronto, Canada
Life has many up and downs. While heading for a nervous breakdown, music was a lifesaver. Takes my mind off all the personal problems and focus away from the negative. Spending a lot of time practicing on weekends and getting results isn't much of an issue.

The biggest issue is to be told by the people closest to you there are other more important things in life to focus on including managing personal finances & career goals (moving up the corporate ladder). A lot of people feel that spending hours playing music is a fruitless waste of time that doesn't produce financial rewards unless you pursue a career in music as a performer or a teacher.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: kevinb] #2720809
03/12/18 06:14 PM
03/12/18 06:14 PM
B
bennevis Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
B

Originally Posted by kevinb
[...] reading through these forums over time, it does seem to me that overall, folks involved in non-classical piano pursuits seem to generally have more FUN for some reason.

Amazingly (to me) the idea that there are "fun" and "serious" forms of music is even embedded in the graded exam syllabus. A stated learning outcome for the Trinity College Rock and Pop Keyboards syllabus, at entry level is:

There is, so far as I can tell, no similar objective in the traditional classical syllabus, which is all about technical skills. It seems you have to enjoy playing pop and rock, and sweat over classical. The classical piano syllabus doesn't even mention audience -- it's as playing is a completely solitary, intellectual endeavour, which a select few might perhaps be privileged to hear one day.

Pop is popular by definition, therefore you're supposed to convey the joy in performance. To be frank, I don't see the point in having exams for pop and rock music, when some of the greatest pop & rock performers in history can't even read music, but I suppose there's money to be made from them, and some people who play pop want "recognition" on a par with those classical folk......

Whereas (Western) classical has centuries of tradition and is also deep-rooted in Christianity. How can the Passions of Bach be performed with audible enjoyment when you're singing your heart out about human suffering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMqNUbiWyw

And even non-religious classical is just as likely to be sad as happy. Everything has to be in place too, as it's often not just a tune and straightforward accompaniment, unlike pop & rock where you can make stuff up.

Even when I was a student barely past beginner stage, I never had any problem playing purely for enjoyment. I'd bang away at any tune (often pop) without worrying about technique, or wrong notes or rhythm, just for the fun of it. After all, I had no sheet music to follow and was just playing by ear, so I could do whatever I liked.

I never thought of that as 'practising' at the piano - it was just the piano equivalent of me singing a pop song while accompanying myself on the guitar, trying out any chords that seemed to fit.....

Now of course, I play and perform purely for enjoyment, and I don't mind showing my enjoyment to my audience - when it's appropriate. Like the first of these pieces, which I threw into my recital this evening - I was gratified to see some smiles from the audience, when they thought I was deliberately playing wrong notes grin -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Z_3EA9pyY

and also this, partly because I was raising false expectations, dashed by the damp cold weather outside cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnUDeRdu7o.

But when I was practising them at home, I had to work hard to get them right and performance-ready, otherwise I couldn't have conveyed what I wanted to my audience if I was struggling to play the notes......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: TonyB] #2720906
03/13/18 04:04 PM
03/13/18 04:04 PM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
Looking at that sentence that you quoted, I am thinking to myself "what does that really mean". Perform audibly, means simply that you make sounds. Why just "some awareness of audience"? Why not fully aware of, and engaged with, the audience? It does seem really strange to say something like that, doesn't it?

I guess it's because at the grade-1 level we can't expect kids to demonstrate complete engagement with the audience. That takes a lot more experience and a lot more confidence.

I think the Trinity folks are just expecting kids to play as if they wanted to be heard. That might just be my interpretation, though.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: bennevis] #2720908
03/13/18 04:16 PM
03/13/18 04:16 PM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
Originally Posted by bennevis
To be frank, I don't see the point in having exams for pop and rock music, when some of the greatest pop & rock performers in history can't even read music, but I suppose there's money to be made from them, and some people who play pop want "recognition" on a par with those classical folk......

I'm sure it's partly money; perhaps there's a market opening, because this is a area that the ABRSM does not really deal with.

But... I think it's an interesting idea. There is no expectation of making a note-perfect reproduction of written music, and improvisation is offered as an alternative to sight-reading for candidates who don't read well (or at all). Candidates are allowed to perform songs they've written or arranged themselves, as an alternative to the set works.

It seems entirely reasonable to me that kids who play in non-traditional genres should get some official recognition of their progress.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: kevinb] #2720916
03/13/18 05:23 PM
03/13/18 05:23 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities

I guess it's because at the grade-1 level we can't expect kids to demonstrate complete engagement with the audience. That takes a lot more experience and a lot more confidence.

I think the Trinity folks are just expecting kids to play as if they wanted to be heard. That might just be my interpretation, though.

I am not at all familiar with all the formal structure imposed on music in the form of tests, contests, and the like. So I would definitely completely miss the meaning of something that requires that knowledge to interpret.

To me, music is first and foremost a HEARING art, so to me, learning to be able to hear and play (i.e. learn off of recordings, for example) is more important, and then reading. I taught myself to play guitar, and reading was a part of that for me.

I played full time professionally back in the late 70s in a trio that played supper clubs, resorts, and the typical Holiday Inn circuit. We played standards and middle of the road pop type tunes. That work required being able to hear as well as read. We worked either totally by ear or from lead sheets (fakebooks) because we were expected to know enough practical knowledge about how music works to come up with our own parts. Since then, I have played in a number of jazz groups.

I have been teaching myself to lay piano on and off for several years as time and energy permit. Reading is definitely a part of that, but it is far more important to me to be able to listen to recordings of the things I want to play, and to learn those by ear from the recordings.

Classical music is not my interest, so my way of learning and the emphasis I put on the various musical skills is probably different from those engaged in the classical discipline. Though I did make my living from playing at one time, I decided that constant touring was just not the life I wanted, so I left that and did other things. Music has always been a hobby/avocation for me, not a contest or a rigid discipline.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 03/13/18 05:24 PM.
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: kevinb] #2720920
03/13/18 05:40 PM
03/13/18 05:40 PM
B
bennevis Online content
bennevis  Online Content
B

There is no expectation of making a note-perfect reproduction of written music, and improvisation is offered as an alternative to sight-reading for candidates who don't read well (or at all). Candidates are allowed to perform songs they've written or arranged themselves, as an alternative to the set works.

This is where the problems lie, when assessing pop & rock.

It becomes totally subjective and therefore inconsistent from one examiner to another, whereas in the classical exams (certainly in the ABRSM ones, where a senior examiner told me that examiners were regularly 'tested' to ensure consistency in marking), the examiners are looking for specific criteria and accomplishments at each grade, and mark accordingly.

How does one judge one improvisation against another, or the 'quality' of an original song? Is Stephen Hough's arrangement of Londonderry Air/Danny Boy better than Keith Jarrett's? We all know that we have different tastes in everything musical - some of my all-time favourite pop songs would never figure in many others' top 100, and I never cease to wonder why anyone would want to listen to more than a few seconds of most of the current top ten in the pop charts.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: TonyB] #2721029
03/14/18 02:20 AM
03/14/18 02:20 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
500 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
500 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia

I love English. smile

Tony

This phrase seems so funny to me, so full of British humor, that I can hardly take it seriously. If I wasn't aware of its source I could bet that it was taken from some comedy sketch show like the one by Fry and Laurie.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: bennevis] #2721038
03/14/18 03:12 AM
03/14/18 03:12 AM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK

It becomes totally subjective and therefore inconsistent from one examiner to another, whereas in the classical exams (certainly in the ABRSM ones, where a senior examiner told me that examiners were regularly 'tested' to ensure consistency in marking), the examiners are looking for specific criteria and accomplishments at each grade, and mark accordingly.

I'm inclined to agree that the assessment process could be problematic. However, looking at the syllabus, I can see that the institution is doing its best to set specific, measurable targets for each grade. I think it's a step in the right direction, although I don't doubt that there will be difficulties to overcome.

Moreover, I am not convinced that there is all that much objectivity in the examinations for the classical syllabus.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2721042
03/14/18 03:24 AM
03/14/18 03:24 AM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
This phrase seems so funny to me, so full of British humor, that I can hardly take it seriously. If I wasn't aware of its source I could bet that it was taken from some comedy sketch show like the one by Fry and Laurie.

Nothing about it struck me as odd or particularly comedic; but perhaps that's because I'm used to reading the kind of stuff that examination boards produce?

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2721047
03/14/18 04:22 AM
03/14/18 04:22 AM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N

Israel

I'm inclined to agree that the assessment process could be problematic. However, looking at the syllabus, I can see that the institution is doing its best to set specific, measurable targets for each grade. I think it's a step in the right direction, although I don't doubt that there will be difficulties to overcome.

Moreover, I am not convinced that there is all that much objectivity in the examinations for the classical syllabus.

The main question is: who are the judges? This requires competence simultaneously in several areas; and I have been in such an environment already for 38 years . This academic arrogance can state that there can not be objective criteria here. They exist, but this refers to a different culture, which "academics" are not very interested. The term "interdisciplinary" in this case simply doesn't say anything to them. The syllabus has already been developed, and it differs in many respects from both classical music and jazz; and at the same time has a common. This is a new musical profession, and it is unfamiliar to many. I personally teach pop and rock piano , using academic requirements. but in accordance with the genre.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2721148
03/14/18 01:43 PM
03/14/18 01:43 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities
I have a friend who competes on a national (US) level in ballroom dancing. When he talks about the process, it sure seems like there is a lot of politics involved. The judging seems really ambiguous. If an elbow is slightly in the wrong place, some judges will notice it, and others won't. Often times, t seems as if there are ulterior reasons for noticing or not noticing it.

The strange part of all this to me is that these people who compete in ballroom dancing at that level, pay of money for lessons several times a week with the high priced professional level teachers, the jacked up prices for the hotel room and the competition fees. A lot of hours of endless practice go into preparation for this. The outcome for each contestant pair, lies in the hands of these judges, and the whole thing seems like a big game that everybody knows is being played, but they choose to participate anyway.

I just don't get it.

I have always wondered about the "battle of the bands" that used to be popular when I was in high school. If the various bands can get through a tune reasonably well, how does one judge that one band is REALLY better than another. If the various piano contestants in one of these piano competitions are closely matched, how does one honestly judge who is the best? I can see somebody not winning because s/he really screwed up, but if they all practiced and play accordingly well, what is there to discern?

Of course, from my perspective, why would anyone want to submit to something like this in the first place? Isn't the process of learning and playing its own reward?

Tony

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2721152
03/14/18 02:07 PM
03/14/18 02:07 PM
Midwest USA
F
Farmerjones Offline
500 Post Club Member
Farmerjones  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by r_Shift
More aimed at people who are pianists as a hobby, but personally what's the most frustrating thing you have to deal with?

Yes. I'm an old goof that plays piano by ear and sings, and plays a bunch of other instruments, but that's not the question.
I know what I know. I play what I can play. I guess I've got lucky enough to understand how I learn as well. So frustrations are very few. It is what it is. Like everything else in life. If I could offer one thing: I never met anybody perfect. I would not want to meet anybody that was perfect. "Better" is a fine endeavor, but life is short. Take time to enjoy how you play right now. Clams and mistakes are like internet trolls. They thrive on attention. If you ignore them, they starve and die. Ask Kenny Werner.

Rhythm & Chords, it's what I do.
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: TonyB] #2721208
03/14/18 05:34 PM
03/14/18 05:34 PM
London, UK
K
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
kevinb  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

London, UK
Of course, from my perspective, why would anyone want to submit to something like this in the first place? Isn't the process of learning and playing its own reward?

For me yes, and probably for most adults. For kids, I think competitions can be useful. Not because of the result which, frankly, is a lottery; but for the feedback, and the opportunity to meet other musicians, and to play for an audience, and all that stuff.

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: kevinb] #2721218
03/14/18 06:18 PM
03/14/18 06:18 PM
Twin Cities
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Twin Cities

For me yes, and probably for most adults. For kids, I think competitions can be useful. Not because of the result which, frankly, is a lottery; but for the feedback, and the opportunity to meet other musicians, and to play for an audience, and all that stuff.

Good answer! smile

Tony

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2721222
03/14/18 06:36 PM
03/14/18 06:36 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
KevinB’s response about why to enter competitions also applies to adults who are beyond the age of the concert career. You should read the threads on the pianist forum; there are a number of members who enter competitions for the same reasons

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: newbert] #2721375
03/15/18 09:44 AM
03/15/18 09:44 AM
Massachusetts
J
JayWalkingBlues Offline
JayWalkingBlues  Offline
J

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by newbert
One of my biggest frustrations - more like a disappointment, I guess - is that no one in my family or circle of friends have any interest in piano or even music in general. Because of this, I'm not asked to play - so I don't offer to either. Consequently, I think that I have to be even more self-motivated than most to practice. That results in slower progress at improvement than I'd like.

I have been struggling with this same issue for many years. Some of my family is musical, so 2 days out of the years (Thanksgiving and Easter) are very musical events. That said, my one music buddy moved far away many years ago. That left me alone with my music for many years. Although I still always enjoyed it, not being able to share it was kind of depressing. Finally, I worked up the courage to start finding local open mics. This was easier for me because I play guitar and a few other instruments, BUT I did find a couple that had a stage piano available. This period of my life, the "open mic" days, were the most productive musically in my life to that point. I was meeting and collaborating with other like minded hobbyists and local pro's. I was learning more music that ever before to "keep it fresh". I was expanding my areas of interest. This was a life changing time, and the growth I felt as a person and musician were profound. It wasn't 100% sunshine and roses. There were poor performances, and to me, I'm very hard on myself, so those were quite painful. But the darkness only makes the light shine brighter.

There are times when being alone with your music is exactly what you need.....but don't be afraid to explore. The community of musicians all around you are mostly very welcoming....much like you would find here in these forums.

Last edited by JayWalkingBlues; 03/15/18 09:45 AM.

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

Re: Biggest Frustrations [Re: r_Shift] #2721412
03/15/18 11:07 AM
03/15/18 11:07 AM
Arizona USA
F
Finfan Offline
Finfan  Offline
F

Arizona USA
A few times a year various friends of mine host parties where various local musicians show up and play. My goal has been to be able to join in with them and not embarrass myself. My frustration is that my progress has been glacially slow. I'm hoping both my friends and I live long enough for me to achieve this goal.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does one know for sure??
by Duaner. 12/13/18 04:34 PM
Policy Letter from Steinway
by Larry Hofer. 12/13/18 04:25 PM
Help finding a video
by Orange Soda King. 12/13/18 04:13 PM
Kawai VPC1 VS MP7SE VS ES8
by Lab Member. 12/13/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,887
Posts2,770,934
Members91,755
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission