2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 75 of 75 1 2 73 74 75
Originally Posted by lophiomys
I do wonder why Roland by itself would not run Drewster's analysis and openly demonstrate the qualities of their modeled piano sounds?
Also when I tried to learn about the new modeling technology about a year ago, I could not find any hard facts, which would satisfy my curiosity.

I think, because for the most part, it is not marketable. What is marketable, is how the piano feels, sounds, and looks. Those who really care are a small subset of the entire market.

Some points are mentioned in some reviews, but there are a few points, and good or bad, are never mentioned.

Maybe I will take a look at doing some analysis. That would probably fit in with some video/demos that I would like to do also.

Personally, I think modeling is the way to go and what needs to happen for all digital pianos (Or a blend of sampling/modeling).

Modeling has come a long way in the guitar world, I would love to see more than just Roland or Pianoteq pick up the mantle there.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My earlier point is that the ears can do everything needed to assess a piano's sound.

Dewster's analysis, in the hands of piano designers, might be used to learn what level of technical specs produce a level of satisfaction to the performer. Indeed, I imagine that designers do have some recognition of the relationships, based on their own (standardized?) test suites.

But the rest of us are not designers. We don't have means to know just how much reduction in looping (say), or other improvement produces a measurable amount of satisfaction.

And even if we did, there is nothing we can do about it. We don't produce pianos. We don't sample piano sounds, nor do we model them. So we have no means to effect change.

The DPBSD measurements may be interesting, but they are just not actionable.

So ... do you want a piano whose loop length exceeds 3 seconds, as measured in the Dewster specs?
Or do you want a piano that sounds good, as measured by your own ears and your own judgement?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I would want a piano, which is up to the technical possibilities of - say - 2016. Not the 1990s. The personal listening test, would be on top of that. And that is what we can do. We can vote with our money as customers.

The problem with the hearing of the untrained DP customer (including myself) is, that it is easily deceived, backed by soothing marketing materials. Unfortunately most people will discover the disturbing artificial artifacts only after some time playing and listening to the ROMplers. IMO that is, why the DPBSD measurements are interesting and valuable.

"Looping" and "layering" would not be necessary any more today, with the use of multi GB samples and faster data processing of a fully modeled piano sound generation. It's cheaply available nowadays. But scarcely to be found in mainstream digital pianos.

Pianoteq (and maybe Roland) has demonstrated to us what is possible with a weak processor and very less RAM for an affordable price.

L
L
A very interesting thread !

when it comes down to it its about how it all feels and how one note combines with others in your head via your ears ..via the walls via the speakers/soundboard.

I cannot compare what my 7.2 sound system with multiple pianos (except pianoteq) cued up in my daw .with an acoustic piano ..there is none ..the acoustic will always be out of tune just for a start.

Creating an immersive experience is available to us now but not with the furniture models and to compare a grand piano with a keyboard set up as above is not fair the the grand piano which can only ever be one instrument and one sound source however grand its sound may be .

I am always finding new immersive experiences with my daw setup that is available for far less than a single good piano and has the ability to create whatever your inspiration has to offer .

So please give this angle a good look, the piano has been reinvented in a way that gives the 88 keys so much more than the original designers could have ever dream pt of .
looping layering etc can be controlled and fine tuned to your hearts content and audio graphs will become meaning less.

I never though that i would put my guitar aside but i have (except for the bendy notes )

get on the daw band wagon ...you wont look back

PS BIG speakers are important as is to be in the centre of the sound field ...dont skip this!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oscar1

[Linked Image]

This kind of graph puzzle me.

I would like to know what is really measured. (What is the axis of ordinate, what the colours mean).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 03/10/18 09:21 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I believe this is an early Picasso. The colors represent a transitory state of contemplation towards a cubist axis of permanence. Is it ordinate or inordinate, I ask?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
II wanted to point out an error in the first page list of pianos: The link for PX-130 is actually for the PX-310 sample/comments I submitted. The linked post says:
Casio PX-130
mp3: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/s7rbz1vc4uwlsxr/dpbsd_casio_px310.mp3
Recorded by: "anotherscott":
Notes: "I find this much nicer to play than the newer PX-330 and PX-3. There are some ways their samples may be more authentic, but this just plays better to my fingers and ears.
p.s. -- I believe this to be the same piano sound as in the new CDP-120"
Review: TBA

As you can see from the file name, this was a submission of (and comments about) the PX-310, NOT the PX-130. I believe the PX-130 piano sample was identical to that of the PX-330. I didn't want people to see that and think I was suggesting that the PX-130 is better than the PX-330.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
According to some video it is a decomposition of the signal by frequency (one colour per frequency). Each line is plotted according to the phase between right and left signal. It can be used to anticipate attenuation when converting to mono, and also to select some signal and nullify it is at a known pan and their frequencies are quite different to the other sounds.

No references to Picasso nor Kandinsky... wink

Last edited by Frédéric L; 03/10/18 11:42 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
D
Just downloaded the midi file, and am curious to see how my own creation responds!

https://www.wholesounds.com/1954-baldwin-parlor-grand/

It's a Baldwin grand, eight velocity levels, no looping, stretching or any sort of synthesis. Cool to have something like to put it through its paces.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dewster
Anyway, an incremental improvement in sample size but, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, Kawai would have to at least quadruple these numbers before I would consider purchasing a high end DP from them. I wonder when they (and Yamaha) will finally give us an unlooped offering? My next concern would then be: how long it will take for that unlooped voice to finally make it into a midrange portable stage slab product? My best guesses are 2020 and 2025, respectively. I hope no one out there is holding their breath.

This dude didn't last long enough in this forum (only 6 years) to see that 2020 is already hear and we are still fed the same technology by all of the major brands.

I saw the DPBSD thread pop onto the front page ... and I thought dewster had returned!

But no! frown

You're pretty much on target with your claim, Abdol. I just wish I hadn't been set up to re-greet the dewster.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Wherever the dewster may be, this is a fascinating thread indeed.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by navindra
Wherever the dewster may be, this is a fascinating thread indeed.

I followed dewster works since 2011. Threads like this spread awareness and makes users to demand more for their money. His work is invaluable.

ّYou westerners probabaly don't know George Ivanovich Gurdjieff, but he used to colour sparrows with aniline dyes and sell them as 'American canaries' in Samarkand...

P
P
Hello, this was (and is) very interesting thread. But where did all the pictures go?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7
P
P
Can someone explain how dewster did the tests so we can continue this legacy on? I think we need to go back and start testing what is current now to see what happened and what improved.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Majoring in Piano at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education Major at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo
P-515, P140 and DGX-670
Previously: Rönisch Upright, MOX8.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps it would be better to try and summon the dewster.

Legend goes, that if you call on him thrice, he shall manifest!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pedrobrinck
Can someone explain how dewster did the tests so we can continue this legacy on? I think we need to go back and start testing what is current now to see what happened and what improved.

If your magic to summon him is not working, try sending a private message

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/47878/dewster.html

Page 75 of 75 1 2 73 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission