2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I previously owned the N1 from 2014 to just a week ago. I made the decision to downsize, as it were, from a cabinet to a slab style DP because I will be moving quite a bit for school/training over the next several years and didn’t want the hassle of moving the AvantGrand. It’s like moving an upright.

So, what I miss with the AvantGrand? The action of course and the speaker system. Plus it looked nice. The sound was good, but definitely showing signs of 10+ year old sample sets.

My thoughts of the MP7SE:

First of all, at this price point, an absolute homerum. The acoustic piano sounds are simply incredible. Kawai has made a monumental leap with the new sound engine. And the Virtual Technician will be fun to experiment with. Most importantly, the base line sounds are better than what the videos show. Action, always a topic of conversation, is much better than I was expecting. The RHIII is easily at the level of the top end plastic and plastic/wood hybrid actions. Quite frankly, I’m surprised Kawai does not charge more for the MP7SE. The MP11SE action bears quite a heavy premium over the RHIII. The GF action is no doubt a superior action in every way, but is the GF action worth $1000 more? That’s a personal decision, but for me, no. I never got a chance to play the RHIII action so it’s a very nice surprise. I’m also enjoying the asthetic quality of the MP7SE. It is a handsome instrument. The new cheek ends are a really nice improvement and the overall fit and finish look and feel first class. I honestly believe the MP7SE is easily at the level of the RD2000, Nord Piano 3, and CP4, which I consider class leading stage pianos.

I have only had a little time with the MP7SE but so far I have to hand it to Kawai. They’ve done a magnificent job and have really put effort into all angles to make a great package and truly an excellent value. $1799 is extremely fair priced for what you are getting.

Zac

Last edited by PianoZac; 02/28/18 04:25 PM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hi Zac, good to see you again, it's been some time. Hope all's well. smile

Hey congrats on the new DP. I only had a short play with both - MPSE11& 7SE --at NAMM but instantly felt a much better connection to both with the upgrades.

Originally Posted by PianoZac
II honestly believe the MP7SE is easily at the level of the RD2000, Nord Piano 3, and CP4, which I consider class leading stage pianos. Zac

Totally agree.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Zac,

Thank you very much for sharing your initial thoughts about the MP7SE. I'm glad to read that you are enjoying the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Good to hear Zac - Congratulations on your new piano!!

I hope I don't have to travel much, but if I do - I would love it if there was a keyboard like MP11SE but with half the weight smile

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Hi Zac, good to see you again, it's been some time. Hope all's well. smile

Hey congrats on the new DP. I only had a short play with both - MPSE11& 7SE --at NAMM but instantly felt a much better connection to both with the upgrades.

Originally Posted by PianoZac
II honestly believe the MP7SE is easily at the level of the RD2000, Nord Piano 3, and CP4, which I consider class leading stage pianos. Zac

Totally agree.

Hey great to hear from you Dave. Been a while for sure. All is well, just busier than ever. Hope all is well with you and glad you’re still on the boards too!

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Zac,

Thank you very much for sharing your initial thoughts about the MP7SE. I'm glad to read that you are enjoying the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

I’m seriously blown away with the overall package. The MP7SE feels like a stage piano in the next market up category. An unbelievable package for just $1800. Tell your team at Kawai, excellent job! Thanks for your input in helping my decision. I love the Kawai brand and am glad I’ve got another on at home.

Originally Posted by Osho
Good to hear Zac - Congratulations on your new piano!!

I hope I don't have to travel much, but if I do - I would love it if there was a keyboard like MP11SE but with half the weight smile

Osho

For sure! I wish I could’ve made the MP11SE make sense but I couldn’t justify the extra $1000, and after receiving the MP7SE, I think I’ll get along quite well with it. Plus I’ve pre-ordered the GFP-3 Triple Pedal unit to go with it. Should be a great portable combo.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission