2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Here is a list of complete(?) recordings by Gould:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Gould_discography

But I would like to know for each recording: Which piano was used (specifically if CD 318 was used or not) and preferably who was the tuner/technician (Verne Edquist etc).

Where can I get this information?

At the moment I am specifically wondering about the piano used for the inventions and sinfonias, it is obvious that the regulation is not normal with it's bobbling hammers and so on (by request of Gould I read somewhere). But was this CD 318?

Also were any recordings made with his beloved Chickering?

Also were any recordings made with his favorite piano before the CD 318? The one that got dropped and destroyed, I forgot the designation.

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
I find the Inventions and Sinfonias recording to be almost unbearable because of that piano’s quirks.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I love these recordings. Granted, the sound is not the same boring, old sound of any other recording. But it matches the music and the playing nicely.

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
B
B
I think if you read "A Romance on Three Legs" you'll find the chronology of 318's heyday. I don't have time to go looking at the moment, sorry.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am actually reading it at the moment, that's why I am asking smile

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
The Chickering was Gould's salon piano growing up. He didn't record on it professionally.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I presume that "CD 318" refers to a Steinway Concert & Artists Model D piano that was used by Glenn Gould. Was that a piano that Gould owned personally, or was it simply the one that he used for concerts and recordings? In what year was it made?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Almaviva
I presume that "CD 318" refers to a Steinway Concert & Artists Model D piano that was used by Glenn Gould. Was that a piano that Gould owned personally, or was it simply the one that he used for concerts and recordings? In what year was it made?

Here's one summary of the story of Glenn Gould and CD-318, evidently built in 1945 or so and discovered by Gould in 1960.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/glenn-goulds-steinway/

L
L
After Gould's death, the piano was donated to Library & Archives Canada. It lived for many years in the auditorium of the Archives building on Wellington Street, in Ottawa, a few blocks from Parliament Hill.

It was then moved the Canadian Museum of Civilisation, and is now at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

I had the opportunity to play it a number of times. My ensemble, Norteño, was lucky enough to record our first CD, entitled "Milonga d'automne" on this piano. The CD is available on iTunes.

I found out later that Gould had loaned to the piano to Bill Evans for his CD "Conversations with Myself".

C
C
I remember first listening to Glenn Gold's inventions album after checking it out from the library as an LP, and being puzzled by the piano. My recollection is that Gould addressed the pianos quirks in the liner notes, expressing an enamoration with the piano that made him feel the quirks were worth it.

A romance on three legs does not mention any other piano that he was so besotted with, so I assume this was CD 318.

C
C
I ws trying to find the original album notes, but the closest I found was this paragraph which does quote them, confirming my recollections:

"In the course of adjusting CD 318 for the Inventions session, Gould managed to afflict it with a bizarre “hiccup” effect in the middle register, by which random sustained notes were repeated. Gould acknowledged this in the album notes (to Columbia MS 6622) but professed to find the result charming and justified it as related to “the clavichord's propensity for an intra-tone vibrato.” He went on to assert his “sober conviction that no piano need feel duty-bound to always sound like a piano.”"

This was the source for that paragraph: http://www.classicalnotes.net/columns/gould.html

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm curious about the infamous crack in the plate of CD318. What was done to try to repair it? Is it still there and how to they work with it when it is used for performances? I wonder why they just didn't send it to Steinway and install a new plate after it was dropped? Is all of that covered in the book?

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer
I love these recordings. Granted, the sound is not the same boring, old sound of any other recording. But it matches the music and the playing nicely.

I just can’t appreciate the charming quirks of a clearly defective piano. But then I never play my digitals using the “honky tonk” setting, so what do I know?

Chacun a son gout.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
B
B
> Is all of that covered in the book?

Yes

Last edited by Bill Reed; 02/26/18 09:35 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

I just can’t appreciate the charming quirks of a clearly defective piano. But then I never play my digitals using the “honky tonk”setting, so what do I know?

There are noticeable oddities in the S6 sample on the CP4, but Yamaha claims they left them in because the oddities were already there in the S6 they sampled.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Farley

I just can’t appreciate the charming quirks of a clearly defective piano. But then I never play my digitals using the “honky tonk”setting, so what do I know?

There are noticeable oddities in the S6 sample on the CP4, but Yamaha claims they left them in because the oddities were already there in the S6 they sampled.

I don't recall Yamaha ever explaining anything before. So that's something, I guess.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just can’t appreciate the charming quirks of a clearly defective piano. But then I never play my digitals using the “honky tonk” setting, so what do I know?

Chacun a son gout.

Yes, all of Gould's recordings sound like a honky tonk piano ;-)

Chacun a son Gould?

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

Chacun a son gout.

Yes, all of Gould's recordings sound like a honky tonk piano ;-)

Not all. But this one, yeah, kinda.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission