2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2716288 02/22/18 01:29 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have a spine-back issue that’s a constant problem. My regular bench has no back rest and I’m thinking of a chair that’s the proper piano ht. Anybody else use anything for comfort. Spine stenosis is the cause. Thanks

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
dobro #2716290 02/22/18 01:49 AM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW (there's a lot of personal preference in these choices):

a) You can get a "drum throne" with adjustable height, and a backrest:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...h-oversized-motorcycle-seat-and-backrest

https://www.sweetwater.com/c649--Roc-N-Soc--Drum_Thrones

I took the rolling base and height piston from an office chair, and attached a Roc'n'Soc motorcycle seat. It works very well. The Roc'n'Soc seats have about 4" of very stiff foam, and are very comfortable.

b) Take an office chair (rolling base, adjustable height) and remove the armrests. Ideally, the chair will have a backrest that moves both up and down, and back-and-forth.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
dobro #2716293 02/22/18 02:55 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Charles, I had wondered about a drum throne but never follower up. I will try these suggestions in my quest for comfort and report.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2716294 02/22/18 03:05 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I should have mentioned that I do have cushions. It’s the back support, even between pieces or whatever. It would be cool to find something that would allow me to extend my practice time never a bad thing.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2716351 02/22/18 09:50 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My back likes a little stretch between practice activities.

Learner
dobro #2716356 02/22/18 10:03 AM
B
B
You could try sitting on a wedge-shaped cushion which will tilt your pelvis forward and put the lumbar curve in the correct position without having to "hold it" yourself. The lumbar curve is thhe key to everything, get that curved in to the correct amount and all the other curves of the spjne fall into place. I use a wedge cushion for driving and have been known to go grab it from my car sometimes when practising. I know where you're coming from because I have a slight scoliosis and a very weird pelvis (misaligned in all three dimensions) and some days I am fine and others I just cannot get comfortable. Some days I want to be higher, some days the bench height is fine. Some days it feels hard on my bottom, other days I dont seem to feel it. I just interchange cushions, with/without etc. I tried a well padded dining chair last night, it just didnt feel right. I am thinking of splashing out on a well padded, traditional height adjustable bench. I think I screwed up shovelling some mulch in the garden a few weeks back. frown

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
dobro #2716853 02/24/18 10:54 AM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I too suffer from Spinal stenosis. Last march I had an operation to remove bone from the worst of my four areas and this did relieve the pain. However now after a year I cannot sit playing for more than an hour before I must stop or suffer later.

My stool is a Hidrau London Concert Piano Stool. I just cannot bring myself to replace it with a chair. I think pelvic positioning is the best solution either by training or using a wedge.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
dobro #2716874 02/24/18 12:20 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve been trying different things and studying more on the lumbar curve as mentioned by Bach-IngMaddie. We have some great ideas here and stretching is a must for me. I notice also that everyone mentions each day being different and that is so true. I don’t commit to anything next week or month because I never know. The cushion is helping.

Ian, I’ve been advised to and not to have surgery by Drs and differing opinions from friends who have had it. I just take it day by day.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2716915 02/24/18 03:19 PM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I just had a strange idea:

I've recently changed my computer over, from "desk height" to "standing height". I find it comfortable, and it may be helping some long-term problems with my own posture, and a pinched nerve in my neck.

Lifting an acoustic-piano keyboard to "standing height" (so when you're standing up, your forearms are horizontal when your hands are in "playing position") is impractical.

But lifting a _digital piano_ to "standing height" is easy. There are commercial 2-tier and 3-tier stands, that are high enough. (The OnStage KS7903 might be too narrow for an 88-key DP. The OnStage KS7350 might be tall enough.) Or you could build a stand from wood, or drum-rack parts. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc

For someone who says:

. . . "I hurt if I sit for too long, but I'm OK if I stand",

that might be a possibility.

. Charles
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I just had a strange idea:

I've recently changed my computer over, from "desk height" to "standing height". I find it comfortable, and it may be helping some long-term problems with my own posture, and a pinched nerve in my neck.

Lifting an acoustic-piano keyboard to "standing height" (so when you're standing up, your forearms are horizontal when your hands are in "playing position") is impractical.

But lifting a _digital piano_ to "standing height" is easy. There are commercial 2-tier and 3-tier stands, that are high enough. (The OnStage KS7903 might be too narrow for an 88-key DP. The OnStage KS7350 might be tall enough.) Or you could build a stand from wood, or drum-rack parts. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc

For someone who says:

. . . "I hurt if I sit for too long, but I'm OK if I stand",

that might be a possibility.

Great idea, Charles Cohen!
thumb
What a great forum! smile

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
dobro #2716924 02/24/18 03:45 PM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, Ralph.

The OnStage KS7350 Z-stand has a maximum height of 38". Add the thickness of a DP, and it's more than tall enough for me (5'10" height).

Maybe this could really work . . .

. Charles
dobro #2716933 02/24/18 04:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hate to break it to you but there was an article today in the British "Daily Telegraph" newspaper that said the new research has just uncovered that standing desks are actually bad for your back.

[Linked Image]

akc42 #2716985 02/24/18 09:25 PM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by akc42
I hate to break it to you but there was an article today in the British "Daily Telegraph" newspaper that said the new research has just uncovered that standing desks are actually bad for your back.

I don't think _my_ standing desk is bad for _my_ back. I can easily believe that _some_ standing desks are bad for _some_ backs.

The Z-stand goes for about $100, so that's the "cost of information" for anyone who wants to try it.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 02/24/18 09:28 PM.

. Charles
dobro #2716991 02/24/18 10:14 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
That is a good idea. I was thinking of using a barstool (been on many of those in past) with a backrest. With this spine problem I actually feel like my bum and legs are being shocked at times. I’m gonna try everything that I can. There are times when just laying down and taking the pressure off is the only relief. Maybe hang my DP from ceiling? Whatever it takes I’m gonna learn this piano thing. Jokes aside, I feel for anybody who has spine issues.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2716997 02/24/18 11:36 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I could recount the story of my back, but everyone's mileage varies when it comes to the spine.

Try something. And if it doesn't work, try something else.

Learner
dobro #2717006 02/25/18 12:44 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I do hope you have found some relief malkin. You are so correct about spinal issues. It seems a hundred different patients will have as many problems. I know there are many who are worse off in many situations. My prayers n thoughts should be with them. Even as a newbie at piano, every day that I can hit a note is a great day.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2717221 02/25/18 06:30 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised to see a thread about piano chairs without some mention of Glenn Gould, who traveled everywhere with a custom chair built by his father (http://www.glenngould.ca/about-glenn-gould/faqs/). I doublt many would like Gould's chair as the seat was exceptionally low (Gould often played with his wrists below the level of the keyboard). There are, however, a couple of companies that make adjustable piano chairs with more conventional dimensions:

http://frederickpianochairs.com/frederickpianochairs.com/piano-chairs-2/

http://www.cpsimports.com/Adjustable_Piano_Chair.html

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
dobro #2717224 02/25/18 06:57 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by monkeeys
With this spine problem I actually feel like my bum and legs are being shocked at times.....There are times when just laying down and taking the pressure off is the only relief.

I didn't post this in my previous post as I hadn't yet familiarized myself with your condition, spinal stenosis. After having read a little about it, I can't say my input will help. But, I'd feel guilty omitting it, given the small chance that it might help you or others reading this thread.

I am very active and have had a full life of vigorous athletics. I'm in my 60s, and have pared back my activity to officiating soccer and a lot of cycling. When I referee, I am not one of those soccer dads that ambles around the center circle. I am a former high level player whose love for the sport does not permit such. It is not uncommon for me to cover 7-8 miles in one match.

Several years ago I started having lower back problems, with symptoms much like those you described. Several colleagues with back problems described having similar symptoms, and had mostly been diagnosed with what they described as "bulging" disc. I could not afford medical treatment, so, I asked what treatment had worked for them.

Most had been advised, among other things, to do sit ups. The theory was that in the normal course of day-to-day life our back muscles get a lot more use than do the muscles around the front side of our torsos. This results in imbalance in the amount of pulling exerted on the spinal chord from the front and read directions. The imbalance results in the spinal chord being pulled too far one way, causing various forms of pain, discomfort, tingling, and numbness. Sit ups were thought to help by strengthening the muscles on the front side of our torsos, reducing the imbalance of forces, thereby relieving the symptoms.

I tried the sit ups and got near immediate relief. Despite my overall fitness, it seemed my abdominal area had atrophied or weakened in comparison to my back muscles. Over time, with the sit up regimen, the occurrence of symptoms decreased. And, when they did re-occur, they quickly dissipated when I did sit ups. It was not uncommon for me to suffer symptoms during the first half of a match, do sit ups during halftime, and finish the second half symptom free.

If this helps anyone here, I'm happy to have written.

I hope you are able to find some improvement.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
dobro #2717475 02/27/18 12:07 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ralphiano and everyone for input. As I stated, I’ll about try anything.

Ralph, I read your post and before I could get back this barn I call home hit me w plumbing issues and threw everything out of wack. My preactice, intended lessons, all ......sorry..
to the point, I do an exercise that is similar to what you described. I pull my legs back rather than sit up. I can’t do a sit up with the lower back being what it is. Dr sez bending or being in a fetal position at night takes some pressure off.

Alesis Coda Pro
dobro #2717883 02/28/18 10:45 PM
M
M
another vote here for core strengthening to guard against back pain.

sit ups are one way to do it. planks also help. or reverse situps - instead of lifting your torso, try lifting your legs (I cheat like a sumbitch and bend my knees as I'm lifting the legs - but I also lift the pelvis off the floor). Is that what you were describing?

Also lots and lots of hamstring stretches can help.

it's just bizarre how much one set of muscles can weaken as we, ahem, mature, but the silver lining is that a little effort, done regularly, can make a huge difference.

Ralphiano, I am filled with admiration that you are still reffing soccer. I did a ton of it when my kids were younger, and also taught referee school for our local league. Sadly, my arthritic knee gave notice about 5 years ago, and that's all she wrote, but I am grateful for the experience. (I can still skate though, so haven't had to give up hockey!)

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission