2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 302 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 301 302
G
G
Originally Posted by Gombessa
So, that was easy. Everything's fixed. The damper pedal is at the correct height, the rod has zero play, and there's no slack in the pedal anymore. Thanks to JoBert for providing such great pictures and descriptions - I basically looked at the mechanism for 5 minutes, watched it as I actuated the pedal, and figured out what needed to be done.

The way the tolerances line up, the pedal rod ([3] in JoBert's pictures) either has to be longer, or the beige leather pad under the wooden lever arm ([2]) needs to be thicker. I don't see how the lever itself could be dropped due to the tight positioning of the screwed hook-arm, or how anything could have loosened up during playing.

What I did should be fairly obvious from the pictures below:
Before:
[Linked Image]

In the above picture, I'm holding the pedal up where it should be (level with the other pedals), which causes the rod to drop a couple of mm below the leather pad. If I let the pedal fall naturally, the rod rises to contact the pad but it's just resting force, so the pedal and rod have high degrees of loose play.

After:
[Linked Image]

I took an aftermarket fiber/fabric adhesive furniture foot and stuck it to the leather pad. This pushes the rod down and forces the pedal up while at rest. Now with constant downward pressure against the rod, the pedal stays up, has no more play, and the rod also is "tensioned" against the damper mechanism and cannot move on its own.

The green arrow shows that when the rod is correctly pushed down, it loses contact with the gray pedal sensor (because the rod and the washer attached to it are now both lower). This isn't a big deal, as it seems most acoustics have 1-2mm of play before the damper pedal "catches" the damper. And you can also drop the half pedal height in VT to partially counter the effect. However, I wanted the mechanism to be tight, so I took a smaller/thinner furniture pad and fixed it to the washer just under the sensor (not visible in the picture) to take up the slack. Now there's no natural dead spot caused by "thickening" the leather pad and I can adjust the half pedal trigger point solely with VT.

Bonus - I could tell that there's not just one hex nut on the rod (at the visible capstan), there's another one just above the washer as well. It's indeed a bit too tight to get any standard wrench in there, but it's possible there are two points of adjustment if you go for further disassembly.

I my God...I really about people that disassemble their new NV10 and help to fix factory problems by their own *shock*. Reminded me on the GF2 stories last Year.

Thanks for the great pictures and update on the ex factory quality of the new NOVUS. Helped a lot.

*pheeeeew*

Galuwen

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Gombessa, is it possible that the weird position was a result of intentional misalignment? I mean, there are real dampers and sensor. The sensor should start sending positive data the moment dampers start to lift off. I could imagine there’s some alignment between the two needed which due to the nature of the piano mechanics might have needed a slight pedal drop?

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/20/18 04:26 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa, I'm happy to hear that my pics helped you with your issue and that you have now sorted it out. The gap you found was exactly what I expected you would find (although I wasn't sure if you would want to go through the hassle of moving the piano away from the wall to get access). I've also thought about if it shouldn't be possible to pad that gap a bit (instead of adjusting the nut), but I had no good ideas. Your solution with the furniture foot pad is a genius idea and much simpler than trying to get in there with a wrench. Although I would make a note to have another look in a few weeks (or months) to see how it holds up to the wear and tear.

I think it was also a good idea to also pad the washer, to avoid a misalignment between the moment when the damper weights are lifted and when the sensor is engaged, just as Gene wrote:

Originally Posted by CyberGene
Gonbessa, is it possible that the weird position was a result of intentional misalignment? I mean, there are real dampers and sensor. The sensor should start sending positive data the moment dampers start to lift off. I could imagine there’s some alignment between the two needed which due to the nature of the piano mechanics might have needed a slight pedal drop?

If you look at Gombessa's first picture, you can see that the same gap exists both between the end of the rod and the leather pad (red arrow) and also between the metal washer (that is fixed to the rod) and the sensor lever (green arrow). So both functions of the pedal rod (to push against the leather pad to move the damper lever and to push the washer against the sensor lever) are actually aligned in exactly the way that you said: When the rod is moved upwards, it will engage both the leather pad (=damper weights) and the sensor lever at the same time. So there actually isn't any "misalignment".

Originally Posted by ando
I am certain that I could turn that brass screw with no trouble. It has 4 side holes which allows you to turn it from many different angles (like most capstan screws). All you need is an implement of the right length and diameter - preferably with a slightly hooked end.

Yes, that brass screw would be relatively easy to adjust. That's not the one I was referring to as "tricky to reach", though. I meant the nut at the end of the pedal rod (that nut is not actually visible in any of the above pics, as it is behind the sensor lever; in my third picture, the line from number [3] points to the top of the rod, the nut is just below that).

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Thanks for posting this!
It’s funny that, in the chase toward ultimate realism, it seems one ends up having to do more maintenance that mimics the acoustic piano ownership experience.

Indeed. smile But if you think about it, the Novus is essentially an acoustic grand, where you have taken away the plate with the strings, and the sound board underneath, and then "sawed off" the now empty and useless rear part of the case. The whole rest of the mechanism, from pedals to hammers, is more or less the same as in an acoustic (or at least very similar). So to me it's not surprising, that with all those different moving parts made of wood, leather, metal, felt, plastic and whatnot, there may be some regulation required here and there. There certainly is with acoustic pianos.

But just in case there were any misunderstandings: So far I have not needed to "regulate" anything with my Novus. I've only opened it up and taken the pics and video, because I'm nosy and curious. smile

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
P
P
Interesting post on Kawais Facebook about the NV10 (if you happen to be in London, or can get there in the next few days):

We're excited to be showing the stunning new NOVUS NV10 Hybrid at Music & Drama Education Expo | London 22 & 23 February 2018 next week. Visit us on stand B9 to be one of the first to experience NOVUS, alongside a Shigeru Kawai SK-3L grand piano, K300 ATX2 Anytime X upright, the new CA98 digital piano with TwinDrive soundboard, and the affordable new KDP110.

J
J
Here’s a slightly silly question but it’s relevant to me: is there enough room on top of the NV10 to pile sheet music or does the location of the speakers on top prevent that?

Last edited by jtycho; 02/20/18 08:49 AM.
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jtycho
Here’s a slightly silly question but it’s relevant to me: is there enough room on top of the NV10 to pile sheet music or does the location of the speakers on top prevent that?

I would say that there is enough space on the far left and far right for one stack of A4 sheet music each, plus some space behind the music rest for another pile or two. However, you do have to keep an eye on not obscuring the speakers, and I don't know how it would affect the sound if the speakers are sort of surrounded with towering piles of music books.
Personally, I like to keep my piano surface clear. smile

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
There's a ton of room on top, to either side of the 4 top speakers. You can fit at the very least four full stacks of sheet music on top without covering the speakers or the music rest prop.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
J
J
Excellent thank you!

R
R
Originally Posted by JoBert
so I thought it might be a good idea to open a new thread to post actual hands on experiences with the actual released product, and as a place to discuss those impressions.

Are there any recent videos or other recordings of the non-piano sounds on the NV10?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I am seriously impressed with you guys. (JoBert also). I would have been calling Kawai support to send a tech.

Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R111
Originally Posted by JoBert
so I thought it might be a good idea to open a new thread to post actual hands on experiences with the actual released product, and as a place to discuss those impressions.

Are there any recent videos or other recordings of the non-piano sounds on the NV10?

The non piano sounds are exactly the same as those in the CA98/CA78, and before that the CA97/CA67. Probably also other models (maybe CA58, CA48, CA17? Maybe CA95, CA65? maybe others?).
So any recordings you can find for those models are equally applicable to the NV10.

Kawai Novus NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In regards to a Grand version of the NV series pianos: I think I remember reading a few years ago that Yamaha holds the patent to a speaker cabinet configured like a piano cabinet? That is maybe why Kawai has not created an N3 version? Maybe why they only use a sound board? I could be wrong about this but I remember seeing some plans that looked like patent paper work.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I am trying to learn to at post a picture on a forum.

[Linked Image]

This is my new NV10.

Last edited by TomLC; 02/20/18 07:37 PM.

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by HwyStar
In regards to a Grand version of the NV series pianos: I think I remember reading a few years ago that Yamaha holds the patent to a speaker cabinet configured like a piano cabinet? That is maybe why Kawai has not created an N3 version? Maybe why they only use a sound board? I could be wrong about this but I remember seeing some plans that looked like patent paper work.

Well, if Yamaha does have some kind of patent on it, then there are a lot of ways around it, (see the Roland GP607 and GP609, Kawai CP1, etc. It's a pretty common form factor for high end digital pianos.

Originally Posted by TomLC
Sorry, I am trying to learn to at post a picture on a forum.

Hey Tom, you need to change the tag inside the brackets from ing to img (short for image) for it to work (and I'm not sure why your piano is bolted to the ceiling laugh

[Linked Image]

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
(and I'm not sure why your piano is bolted to the ceiling laugh

Oh, no wonder I can't learn to play it. I don't know either. And if you right click on the image, it is back on the floor. Oh, well, Thanks.

Last edited by TomLC; 02/20/18 07:42 PM.

Kawai NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
TomLC, thanks for sharing the pic - congrats on your new piano!

I could see the image by clicking the link. However, in order to correctly embed the image into the post, please change the "ing" tags to "img".

The image is embedded correctly, but it seems the orientation is not. Some browsers will rotate the image correctly, others will not. It seems that when embedded, the rotation flag is ignored (hence the image is shown upside down), but when shown in a separate window (e.g. right click and select 'View Image' etc.) the rotation flag is respected (and the image is shown the right way up).

Regardless of the orientation, that's a lovely shot Tom - congrats again!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tom, when I tried that piano it was right side up. What did you do to it ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I just found out the hard way that on the NV10 one cannot record to the internal memory and then save it (convert to an MP3 or a WAV file) to a USB drive. On all of my previous models: CN35, CA97, CS11, that is how I recorded. That way I could keep recording until I was satisfied. Not a problem now that I know. But right now I am frustrated. It's hard to understand why that function was removed. If i missed something, please straighten me out.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks James. I am glad you are on the forum.

Tom

Kawai NV10
Hello Tom,

Originally Posted by TomLC
Well, I just found out the hard way that on the NV10 one cannot record to the internal memory and then save it (convert to an MP3 or a WAV file) to a USB drive. On all of my previous models: CN35, CA97, CS11, that is how I recorded. That way I could keep recording until I was satisfied. Not a problem now that I know. But right now I am frustrated. It's hard to understand why that function was removed. If i missed something, please straighten me out.

I'm afraid the NV10 and CA98/CA78 do not include the 'Convert to Audio' feature.

However, if a song is recorded using the Internal recorder in Sound mode, it is possible to use Overdub function (via Recorder Playback in the Music screen) to achieve the same result.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 20 of 302 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission